User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-30-2014, 03:19 PM   #16
Animal Instinct OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 321
And off we went.

The pavement eventually gave out and left us cruising on this wonderful road.

We're approaching Folsom, NM. The gravel part of SH 456 has returned to asphalt. You can see the backside of Capulin Volcano National Monument in the distance.

Years ago, we went to the top and had to leave a trailer loaded with dirt bikes and 4-wheelers in the parking lot as they don't allow trailers to go to the top. If memory serves me, our three kids really succeeded in making asses of themselves up there. I'm so proud. As I rode along, waxing nostalgic, I noticed the velcro was really beginning to do a number on my knees. Each time I wanted to stand I had to think about it. Could I be bleeding in there? Those britches were a big purchase and I really didn't want to let on to LA at this point. Maybe it's a guy thing?

Downtown Folsom, NM has a small post office with an old pay phone that still has a dial tone. We stopped for a snack and some water, sharing a laugh over the memories of our trip up the volcano years ago that left us embarrassed and angry back then. So far, LA was having a good time and we hadn't made it to the cool stuff yet.

SH 456 makes a T into SH 325 in Folsom. Just before the T, SH 72 heads off west to wind its way to Raton, a much more enjoyable ride than US 64. It is also an access point to a gravel road that takes you over old Trinchera pass and on into Trinidad, CO -- just an FYI. We will take SH 325 into Capulin, cross US 64, ride through the small town and leave town on Cr A042 which meanders through old remains of volcanic activity

I'm a maps guy, and this is my first adventure utilizing a GPS and it was working splendidly until my intended route dwindled to this. Wide Open Spaces ~ Dixie Chicks

I really love stuff like this, but not with my loved one rattling along behind me in a heavily loaded Xterra. My stubborn evil twin plodded along another tenth of a mile or so and we encountered some fairly large mud holes and unfortunately a gate. I got off Red and surveyed the situation. The bite, just above my knees from the velcro made walking the short distance nearly unbearable. A gate, a short stretch and a sharp turn south, then another gate...I could make out the trail -- but -- there were cows in between the two gates and letting someone's cattle out trying to get LA through the gates is not good public relations for the ADVrider community so I arrived at the decision to turn back and find another way.

Which I did.
Animal Instinct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 05:03 PM   #17
Animal Instinct OP
Gnarly Adventurer

We simply continued south on Cr A042

And finally found a road heading west -- Cr A014. Real good thing LA has a good sense of humor. I had only planned two other days for her to follow along. Maybe they would work out a little better.

Would we ever reach the end of the overcast and have some sunshine? Like a dangling carrot, it's there, only just out of reach.

Old 01-30-2014, 07:07 PM   #18
back2thefuture
Adventurer

Oddometer: 58
Great start to your ride report. I'm liking it. Glad you are taking the roads less traveled and stopping to take pictures. Good one! Scott,
RandyG from GP.
09 KLR blue,
12 V-Strom 1000 adventure,
14 BMW GSW1200
back2thefuture is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 07:09 PM   #19
back2thefuture
Adventurer

Oddometer: 58
Subscribed!
back2thefuture is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 07:20 PM   #20
Animal Instinct OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by back2thefuture View Post
Great start to your ride report. I'm liking it. Glad you are taking the roads less traveled and stopping to take pictures. Good one! Scott,
RandyG from GP.
09 KLR blue,
12 V-Strom 1000 adventure,
14 BMW GSW1200
Thanks, back2
Glad to have you along.
We're just gettin' started.
Old 01-31-2014, 07:17 AM   #21
Animal Instinct OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Correction / Edit

On page 1 I wrongly identified the pants as Airglide III.

They are actually Olympia Recon 3 Mesh.

Now, back to the regularly scheduled program....
Old 01-31-2014, 11:10 AM   #22
Animal Instinct OP
Gnarly Adventurer

You simply lose track of time on an Odyssey like this.

All I knew was my tummy was a rumblin'. We came to an intersection that served as a fine picnic area for us. This is the intersection, and it just happened to be Cr A7, which leads to Maxwell, NM.

Egg and sausage roll ups, a little beef jerky, a handful of trail mix, cold water from the cooler, and great company.
Old 01-31-2014, 11:17 AM   #23
Animal Instinct OP
Gnarly Adventurer

"On the Road Again" ~ Willie Nelson

The road dwindling to a thread on the horizon, the first good glimpse of the Rockies and the promise of cooler temperatures. See the white truck off to the right? We met another just like it and later laughed at the scowling older woman driving it that refused to wave to either one of us -- at least I hope she was scowling for her sake. Maybe somebody let her cows out an open gate?

Coming into Maxwell, going under I 25.

We gassed up and departed on SH 505 that took us northwest over to US 64 and heading toward Eagle Nest, NM where we would turn off on SH 38 which would loop us up through Red River, NM and around Taos Ski Valley. We're not touristy types, and the traffic and crowds in Red River were quickly put behind us without stopping. Somewhere along the way I had to stop and go back for this

Old 01-31-2014, 11:24 AM   #24
Animal Instinct OP
Gnarly Adventurer

There was a brief moment

I though the rain gear would become necessary.

At Questa, NM, SH 38 T's into SH 522. We headed south, making our way towards John Dunn Bridge.
Old 01-31-2014, 12:29 PM   #25
Animal Instinct OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Looking back east at Wheeler Peak,

New Mexico's high point stands tall in the distance.

We did a short backpacking trip and climbed it in the summer of 2011. When we finally made it back down, we learned firsthand not to leave things, even as innocuous as seasonings out in the open. The bears had ripped open our plastic camping boxes and left us feeling responsible and vulnerable. Once bitten twice shy.

South on SH 522 to Arroyo Hondo, and just south of town, signs will lead you on a gravel road, Cr B007 -- Los Rios Rd.

"Take Me to the River" ~Talking Heads

Folks floating down the Rio Grande.

The bridge ends abruptly, right leading down to the river, left up a series of switchbacks and out of the canyon. Strangely, my planned highlight of the day was a little disappointing compared to yesterday's chance finding of the Canadian River Wagon Bridge. But that's exactly the way it's supposed to be when your living the adventure, isn't it?

Old 01-31-2014, 12:57 PM   #26
Animal Instinct OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Then out Montoso Road to US 64 north

and eventually US 285 north into CO.

We stopped for gas in Antonito, CO and since it looked a little threatening off to the west, the direction we would soon be going, I put on my raincoat. As I walked around, the velcro in my pants was now undoubtedly gnawing into my flesh, I conceded the fact that I was going to have to come clean to LA tonight. Maybe let her take a looksie.

A little further on US 285 and then west on SH 15 and into Rio Grande National Forest on FR 255 which begins where SH 15 turns north. There was a light drizzle that seemed to want to thicken so I stopped and (painfully) put on my rain pants. Now I was starting to get mad about my new britches, and was considering not wearing them tomorrow. FR 255 crosses through some private land before merging with FR 250 at a startlingly low Terrace Reservoir and Alamosa CG is a mile or two on past the reservoir on the south side of the road.

The rain gear had my camera trapped inside so I failed to photo document the approach to Alamosa CG which is a no fee campground with a vault toilet being the only amenity.

It never rained, and as the shadows grew long the precipitation ceased altogether. We set the green tent up and I got a fire going with wet wood and a little help from a splash or two of Coleman fuel. We dined on Jalapeno Cheddar dogs rolled in, you guessed it, tortillas. Our tent was maybe 20 feet from the Alamosa River, and it sang us a lullaby.

Comfortably tucked into our queen size bed, when most folk would be sharing pillow talk, I raised the subject of the velcro torture device. LA got her mini maglight out, turned the pantleg inside-out and did a quick troubleshoot. "You've got to make sure the two strips match up precisely, like this." I had my doubts, but was eager to give them a try in the morning.
Old 01-31-2014, 02:57 PM   #27
Animal Instinct OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Day 3, August 12, 2013 -- Alamosa CG, CO to Mancos State Park, CO

237 miles, ~7 hours 40 minutes

The plan: LA would backtrack and head north to Alamosa, CO and then west on US 160 and check out camping at Mesa Verde National Park, Mancos State Park, and possibly Transfer CG in the San Juan National Forest -- (near the Aspen Loop trail for those desiring singletrack) and send me a text. Red and I would hit the backroads.

We awoke to pleasant sunshine, although it was a bit chilly. Nice having a place like this all to yourselves.

LA wakes up rearing to go. Every morning.

It takes me a couple or three cups of coffee to become human.

I only added a fourth of a quart of oil this morning. That leaves me with just over a quart for two weeks. Might need to look into acquiring some more. Red's packed and ready to go. That's our trash on top of the backpack, you have to pack it out from here. When I camp, I always pick up a few pieces of trash from the ground that others have left behind -- cigarette butts, bottle tops, junk like that. You never have to look hard.

Old 01-31-2014, 03:07 PM   #28
Animal Instinct OP
Gnarly Adventurer

If you head west and stay on FR 250

it will take you on a fine looping ride west along the Alamosa River and then south along the Conejos River and spit you out nearly due south of here on SH 17.

See bambi to the left?

Bringing up the rear. There were five or six.

Kind of blurry. They caught me off guard. My dad has a friend that got knocked off his Goldwing a couple summers ago by one of those.

Love getting into the aspen, but where'd the sun get off to?

This caught my eye and I had to turn back and capture it. Whispers peace, doesn't it?

Oh goodie, a bridge.

This could only be more beautiful with a splash of sunshine or if LA were here with me. She seems to have solved the velcro problem. "Ain't no sunshine when she's gone" ~ Bill Withers

Old 01-31-2014, 04:00 PM   #29
Vikingtazz
Will ride for food.

Oddometer: 181
Cheers from Canada

I'm enjoying the RR and terrific photos - thanks for sharing!
Tomorrow is the beginning of February and we hit a few degrees above zero today...there's light at the end of the tunnel.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=709349
Vikingtazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 04:27 PM   #30
Animal Instinct OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikingtazz View Post
I'm enjoying the RR and terrific photos - thanks for sharing!
Tomorrow is the beginning of February and we hit a few degrees above zero today...there's light at the end of the tunnel.

Thanks, Vikingtazz
Here in Wichita Falls, TX we saw mid sixties yesterday and today. There's another cold snap on the way and we may get some snow on Sunday. Any moisture is welcome as we are in Stage IV Drought Disaster right now. No outside watering, washing of cars, etc. is allowed. Last weekend we had 70's and Red and I took advantage.