Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-29-2014, 03:10 PM   #3571
UncleR
KLiX are for kids

Oddometer: 14
Caught up

John,
I just currently got caught up on your report after a several month hiatus. I thoroughly enjoy your outlook and experiences. I mentioned duolingo to my wife who is a language teacher and she is now offering her students extra credit for spending time on the site. Perhaps that will make her job a bit easier. Happy wife=happy life so thank you.

Also wanted to say I was at an adv gathering this past weekend in Virginia, and your name came up a few times in passing as a source of inspiration. While normally not polite to talk about someone when they aren't around, I promise you it was all good and filled with envy. You are very well known in the adv community and I felt privileged to be well versed in your travels and philosophy. Thanks for continuing to share with us. Carry on!
Old 01-29-2014, 03:46 PM   #3572
JDowns OP
Sounds good, let's go!

Oddometer: 2,546
Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleR View Post
John,
I just currently got caught up on your report after a several month hiatus. I thoroughly enjoy your outlook and experiences. I mentioned duolingo to my wife who is a language teacher and she is now offering her students extra credit for spending time on the site. Perhaps that will make her job a bit easier. Happy wife=happy life so thank you.

Also wanted to say I was at an adv gathering this past weekend in Virginia, and your name came up a few times in passing as a source of inspiration. While normally not polite to talk about someone when they aren't around, I promise you it was all good and filled with envy. You are very well known in the adv community and I felt privileged to be well versed in your travels and philosophy. Thanks for continuing to share with us. Carry on!
Hi UncleR,

You boys can talk about me behind my back all you want. Lord knows everybody in the podunk town I live in does. Plenty of people back home think I'm nuts. Not that I care. ADVriders and world travellers are about the only people who get what I'm about. Money comes and goes, but seeing the world float by from the seat of a motorcycle stays with you forever.

Glad that duolingo is of use to the wife. It's been a helpful program for me. Nice to have you along for the ride amigo.

Saludos,
Juan Aventurero Poco Loco

JDowns screwed with this post 01-29-2014 at 03:57 PM
JDowns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 11:03 PM   #3573
poolman
Gnarly Poolside Adv.

Oddometer: 700
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDowns View Post
. Here he is, Amarillo the ADVcat:

He’s the most mellow cat I have met since North Tulsa Oklahoma. He’s teaching me not to take life too seriously.

more later…..

John,

Still enjoying your fantastic journey! I had the opportunity to meet the same cat in June:

If you are headed to Quito, I highly recommend the Eco Route; those who say it is not possible underestimate the abilities of the Sherpa.

All the Best,

Sacred Valley of the Incas
Costa Rica Solo
poolman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 11:26 PM   #3574
poolman
Gnarly Poolside Adv.

Oddometer: 700
Hopefully I'm not interfering with your RR, but you may want to enquire if Malaria is a concern at this time of year. It was when I visited in June, and we were advised to fog the room and sleep under the netting. We did this to be prudent, but after walking 1/2 mile up the beach at 1:00 AM from the Tiki Shak.

Sacred Valley of the Incas
Costa Rica Solo
poolman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 12:35 AM   #3575
JDowns OP
Sounds good, let's go!

Quote:
Originally Posted by poolman View Post
Hopefully I'm not interfering with your RR, but you may want to enquire if Malaria is a concern at this time of year. It was when I visited in June, and we were advised to fog the room and sleep under the netting. We did this to be prudent, but after walking 1/2 mile up the beach at 1:00 AM from the Tiki Shak.
Hi Poolman,

Giving helpful advice and posting pictures of cool cats and beautiful women in bikinis is always encouraged on this ride report.

Good to have you along amigo.

Saludos,
Juan Gato Amarillo
Old 01-30-2014, 08:29 AM   #3576
adventurebound9517
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 264
Lovin your life John, keep up the good work.
adventurebound9517 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 09:08 AM   #3577
exmagnarider
n00b

Oddometer: 6
Hi John -

Just wanted to say thanks so much for this thread. I found it a few weeks ago and it's been my entertainment at work in the downtime. I'm still way behind, back when you were just getting back home from the first leg of the journey but I'm loving every minute of it. Back in high school I had a DRZ400S and you're really making me miss it! We didn't have a lot of trails and things nearby and offroad riding at the time wasn't as aluring to me as street but I'm slowly realizing my folly there. That and I think I need to decrease the amount of crap I bring on trips seeing what you can pull off as a minimalist. Keep up the riding, loving every minute of it from snow-covered Minnesota!
exmagnarider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 12:44 PM   #3578
JDowns OP
Sounds good, let's go!

Quote:
Originally Posted by exmagnarider View Post
Hi John -

Just wanted to say thanks so much for this thread. I found it a few weeks ago and it's been my entertainment at work in the downtime. I'm still way behind, back when you were just getting back home from the first leg of the journey but I'm loving every minute of it. Back in high school I had a DRZ400S and you're really making me miss it! We didn't have a lot of trails and things nearby and offroad riding at the time wasn't as aluring to me as street but I'm slowly realizing my folly there. That and I think I need to decrease the amount of crap I bring on trips seeing what you can pull off as a minimalist. Keep up the riding, loving every minute of it from snow-covered Minnesota!
Hi exmagnarider,

Glad to be of service. It's my job to keep you entertained for the next few months until I run out of money. My relatives on one side homesteaded in Minnesota before moving to the Dakotas. It takes a special type of person to handle northern winters if you know what I mean.

It helps to be tough, stubborn and a tad delusional I reckon. I benefited from their genes.

Saludos,
Juan Delirante
Old 01-30-2014, 12:46 PM   #3579
JDowns OP
Sounds good, let's go!

There’s only so much body surfing and beach bumming I can do before I start feeling like a Robinson Crusoe hobo. While it’s nice to catch some waves:

and read up on Ecuadorean history in a hammock, I think it’s high time I hit the road. I can’t remember how long I’ve been here, but Hektoglider PM’d me and said I should go down the coast and check out Montañita surf camp down the way. So I guess tomorrow it is time to saddle up and head south.

It’s been raining in the mountains all week according to wunderground.com so I’ve been kinda hanging out on the beach before heading back up into the Andes.

I was thinking of heading up to Quilatoa, Baños and Cuenca on backroads. But if the weather is crap up there, I may just head to Patagonia and swing back up here when the living is easy and the skies are blue.

The boys next door have been rocking their gas powered cement mixer since early this morning. They are mixing up cement and bucketing it up to the third floor with 5 gallon buckets and a pulley:

They are mixing and pouring the third floor slab all by hand. A five man crew has been at it for the last 10 hours. No boom trucks, concrete pumps and paddle trowels in this neck of the woods. It’s all done by hand. With power equipment they would have been done 8 hours ago. None of that fancy stuff down here though.

This Chilean family is traveling to Venezuela to visit relatives in their diesel Chevy camper:

They camped at the beach across the street last night. Really nice folks. But I mean, Mom, Dad, three screaming young kids and the brother-in-law. Sounds like the trip from hell to me. Just shoot me.

Not that I have anything against kids. I enjoy other people’s kids and pets. Just never felt compelled to have any of my own.

more later….
Old 01-30-2014, 02:13 PM   #3580
JDowns OP
Sounds good, let's go!

I’m reading about these French explorers from 1735 that hacked their way through Ecuador 300 years ago. Discovered quinine from the Ecuadorean Cinchona tree bark that cured King Charles II from malaria, latex rubber in Ecuador that was used as waterproofing (well okay, and later condoms), platimum, mapped Ecuador. These guys were studs.

Never heard of them before reading the book “The Mapmakers Wife.”

It gives perspective to read about the hardships they endured back in the day. And here I am in the hammock thinking I need to go down the way and order some rice and chicken from the roadside stall. Compared to them my ADVriding is weaksauce.

On some canyon crossings they only had a woven leather cable 150 feet above a roaring river that they strapped a rope around, tied it to their waist and pulled themselves across the abyss hand over hand while dangling over the raging river. Sounds like fun to me.

more later…..

JDowns screwed with this post 01-30-2014 at 08:52 PM
Old 01-30-2014, 02:29 PM   #3581
Sleddog
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 334
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDowns View Post
in the Dakotas. It takes a special type of person to be stubborn and a tad delusional I reckon.
Saludos,
Juan Delirante
Reading between the lines Juanito
Sleddog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 03:28 PM   #3582
junglemototours
trailplug

Oddometer: 1,362
Quote:
On some canyon crossings they only had a woven leather cable 150 feet above a roaring river that they strapped a rope around, tied it to their waist and pulled themselves across the abyss hand over hand while dangling over the raging river. Sounds like fun to me.
we can make this happen.....

Saludos amigo, let me buy you a beer
Old 01-30-2014, 04:16 PM   #3583
slowoldguy
Tire Tester

Oddometer: 8,011
lol. Uhhhhh.....
slowoldguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 08:11 PM   #3584
JDowns OP
Sounds good, let's go!

Quote:
Originally Posted by junglemototours View Post
we can make this happen.....

Saludos amigo, let me buy you a beer
Hey junglemototours,

Made me laugh. You stud. That's ADVriding at it's finest right there. I bet your buddy said, "what could possibly go wrong? I swear to god this clothesline will hold it bro."

Just dangle your KTM under the basket. Oh yeah! That's the kind of river crossing I love to see.

Saludos,
Tio Juancito

JDowns screwed with this post 01-31-2014 at 02:23 AM
Old 01-30-2014, 08:45 PM   #3585
JDowns OP
Sounds good, let's go!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleddog View Post
Reading between the lines Juanito
Hey sleddog,

I only live 20 miles from South Dakota. It's the people in the northern plains that keep me coming back. Solid, honest, hard working folks. It's hard to explain to city people just how nice it is to not have to worry about things when you are away from home. People in Bassett look out for each other. It's not like down here in Latin America. Bars on the windows in the big cities, lots of locked gates and such. I can't even begin to explain the difference to folks around here. Back home, I don't have to lock my house. Anyone can borrow tools from my garage. The keys are in my truck. You just don't take things that don't belong to you without returning them back where I come from. That would just be wrong. People don't do it.

ADVriders are welcome at my house anytime, whether I'm there or not. If my overprotective neighbour locked the house the keys are on top of the electric meter outside the back door. 312 Augusta St., Bassett Nebraska. Mi casa es su casa. I've hosted many ADVriders in the past and hope to host more when I eventually get home. Believe me, I have some serious paying it forward to do when it comes to ADVriders.

I wouldn't live anywhere else. Well okay, I saw it was -20C this morning in Bassett. Have no idea what that makes it in Nebraska degrees. Probably need your insulated Carhart overalls this morning. When it comes to living in the Sandhills of Nebraska, either you like it or you don't.

I love it.

Your ADV pal,
Nebraska John

JDowns screwed with this post 01-31-2014 at 02:47 AM