Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > The perfect line and other riding myths
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-30-2014, 01:19 PM   #31
meatshieldchris
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 657
Slow speed skills absolutely cross over. I've spent nearly a decade riding a bicycle all year round in central canada where ice and snow happens in november and stays till march. Those winter riding skills crossed over to this year's experiment riding a KLR all year. I'm totally familiar with taming lateral acceleration and what the edge of traction feels like on the icey pond because of the mountain bike. Picking a line in the dirt is a good skill that crosses over too. And committing to a maneuver. Like on a mountain bike riding fairly technical offroad stuff, if you don't fully commit to that hill climb or log crossing, you probably won't make it. Same on the motorcycle. And things like looking far ahead make you more accurate on your line. My road reading skills also seem to carry over, knowing what kind of traction I can expect out of a surface by looking at it, especially a snowy or wet one or woody or rockey or gravelly one. Eg. you don't have to slow right down to do gravel, but you might need to if you want to turn. Hard packed gravel is fine, but loose will be squirely. Ice means your front brake doesn't exist, don't even bother. That kind of thing is almost identical except with what you can do with your rear wheel especially at those "most accidents happen under 30mph" speeds.

A bicycle is so much more agile it's super for demonstrating countersteering to the unbelievers and how countersteering initiates lean angle and turn.

The one negative I find is when I was learning a motorcycle, I used to stick my knees out and wave them around to try to affect my CG like I can on a bicycle. 1) the knees do nothing to affect the CG on a motorcycle, there's just too much weight to fight against that way and 2) you lose all that good integration. The instructor yelled at me a lot about that.

I would agree that it's a big jump on the learning curve but the skills diverge after that.
meatshieldchris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 01:54 AM   #32
RFVC600R
SAND EATER!

Oddometer: 2,199
Downhill mountain biking. try it sometime

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carter Pewterschmidt View Post
He's the XL600 Jesus, his bike dies for our sins.
RFVC600R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 08:06 PM   #33
chevyjlewis
Adventurer

Oddometer: 11
most of the top of the line supercross and moto cross riders use road bikes in order to get in shape. the only way to practice grip for them is practicing on a course on thier dirtbike or by riding a mountainbike rough and hard.
chevyjlewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 03:40 AM   #34
yamalama
wet coaster

Oddometer: 1,081
transferable skills, for sure.
being fit doesn't hurt, either.

yamalama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 07:39 AM   #35
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer: 27,679
an apt link: what the supercross pros pedal

M
Old 02-05-2014, 01:53 PM   #36
TABR
Lost Again

Oddometer: 18
After 20 years of road racing & cycle cross making the transition back to motorcycles after a 25 year absence was very easy. I'm still relearning and I don't bounce like I did when I was younger but the level of fitness you get by riding bicycles on & off-road can only help in your motorcycling adventures.
TABR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 02:32 PM   #37
MotoTex
Miles of Smiles

Oddometer: 1,582
Quote:
Originally Posted by RFVC600R View Post
Downhill mountain biking. try it sometime
I only ride park.

Seriously though, mountain biking has taught me more about reading surfaces than anything else.

Balance is another aspect of bicycling that transfers easily to motorcycles. Trackstanding, slow riding in tight turns, that kind of thing really pays off having the tools in the belt on the motorcycle. Often I'll have both feet on the pegs before releasing the clutch and this comes from building balance skills on the MTB.

Riding dirt on bicycles is something I been doing since the 60's. This has been my passion throughout my life. Motorcycles, to me, are just an extension of this and my passion naturally included dirt bikes, then street bikes as a natural progression.

Still, little gives me as much satisfaction as riding singletrack on my MTB. It is the pure essence of the feeling I've been addicted to for longer than I can remember.

This is The Internet. Confirm for yourself anything you may see while visiting this strange and uncertain land.

MotoTex is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 03:00 PM   #38
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer: 27,679
Quote:
Originally Posted by MotoTex View Post
Still, little gives me as much satisfaction as riding singletrack on my MTB. It is the pure essence of the feeling I've been addicted to for longer than I can remember.
I can understand that completely.

M