ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > The perfect line and other riding myths
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 02-02-2014, 07:20 AM   #211
mrphotoman
Beastly Adventurer
 
mrphotoman's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2011
Location: KBR27
Oddometer: 1,031
Mostly old or morbidly obese people sweat over the low revs on the highway thing. They like to put put around 10mph below the speed limit everywhere on their 6500rpm rev limit grandpa bikes. Sounds boring as hell doesn't it.

I suppose it is one of those things to brag about like "i mow my lawn twice a week how many times a week do you mow yours" or "i remember back in 1947 we would walk 10 miles to school in the snow 14 feet deep and we liked it" or "Honey, we need to go on a diet, lets get a diet coke with our triple cheeseburgers with bacon and super size fries".
mrphotoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 07:56 AM   #212
buls4evr
No Marks....
 
buls4evr's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2009
Location: Michissippi & Nuevo Mexico
Oddometer: 2,318
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrphotoman View Post
Mostly old or morbidly obese people sweat over the low revs on the highway thing. They like to put put around 10mph below the speed limit everywhere on their 6500rpm rev limit grandpa bikes. Sounds boring as hell doesn't it.

I suppose it is one of those things to brag about like "i mow my lawn twice a week how many times a week do you mow yours" or "i remember back in 1947 we would walk 10 miles to school in the snow 14 feet deep and we liked it" or "Honey, we need to go on a diet, lets get a diet coke with our triple cheeseburgers with bacon and super size fries".
MOSTLY, THOSE PEOPLE don't ride at all and tell you stories about owning HDs in the old days AND how they quit because their best friends LAYED HER DOWN. But that is another thread, along with "I need a big bore kit for my ______ ." That is usually because they have become such a fat American that their bike has power/weight ratio problems.... that they caused. AND, they need that LIGHT MUFFLER
buls4evr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 08:21 AM   #213
mrphotoman
Beastly Adventurer
 
mrphotoman's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2011
Location: KBR27
Oddometer: 1,031
Quote:
Originally Posted by buls4evr View Post
MOSTLY, THOSE PEOPLE don't ride at all and tell you stories about owning HDs in the old days AND how they quit because their best friends LAYED HER DOWN. But that is another thread, along with "I need a big bore kit for my ______ ." That is usually because they have become such a fat American that their bike has power/weight ratio problems.... that they caused. AND, they need that LIGHT MUFFLER
The same ones that order a banana split with all the toppings at a frozen yogurt store because they are trying to eat healthy lol. Well this here yogurt banana split only has 600 calories of fat and 1600 calories total an a regular one has 900 calories of fat and 2100 calories. Between that and my cutting down to 6 strips of bacon with my biscuits and gravy breakfast and deep fried fish sticks for a snack and triple bacon cheeseburger and diet coke I can feel the pounds melting away. I will be back to my slim fighting weight of 425lbs before you know it! My 35hp 2100cc harley feels faster than ever now between the weight loss and the screaming fire eagle american flame thrower supercharged air filter that I got on sale for $450. It says here made in china but it has that harley logo on it so it must really be american made, yeee haw! Whew, I need to sit down, that walk from the couch to the kitchen to grab a fried bologna sandwich broke me out in a sweat and has me breathing hard.
mrphotoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 05:22 PM   #214
ttpete
Rectum Non Bustibus
 
Joined: May 2009
Location: Dearborn, MI
Oddometer: 5,493
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrphotoman View Post
The same ones that order a banana split with all the toppings at a frozen yogurt store because they are trying to eat healthy lol. Well this here yogurt banana split only has 600 calories of fat and 1600 calories total an a regular one has 900 calories of fat and 2100 calories. Between that and my cutting down to 6 strips of bacon with my biscuits and gravy breakfast and deep fried fish sticks for a snack and triple bacon cheeseburger and diet coke I can feel the pounds melting away. I will be back to my slim fighting weight of 425lbs before you know it! My 35hp 2100cc harley feels faster than ever now between the weight loss and the screaming fire eagle american flame thrower supercharged air filter that I got on sale for $450. It says here made in china but it has that harley logo on it so it must really be american made, yeee haw! Whew, I need to sit down, that walk from the couch to the kitchen to grab a fried bologna sandwich broke me out in a sweat and has me breathing hard.
Gee. Guess I'm doing it wrong. I'm 71, and only weigh 190.

And I don't ride a cruiser.

Growing old doesn't necessarily mean growing up........
__________________
10 Ducati 1098 Streetfighter S - "Sleipnir"
09 Kaw Versys
67 Triumph Bonneville TT Special
"The problem with Socialism is that you eventually run out of other people's money" _____ Margaret Thatcher
ttpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 06:01 PM   #215
JohnCW
Studly Adventurer
 
Joined: Dec 2013
Location: Sydney, Australia
Oddometer: 973
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrphotoman View Post
Mostly old or morbidly obese people sweat over the low revs on the highway thing. They like to put put around 10mph below the speed limit everywhere on their 6500rpm rev limit grandpa bikes. Sounds boring as hell doesn't it.

I suppose it is one of those things to brag about like "i mow my lawn twice a week how many times a week do you mow yours" or "i remember back in 1947 we would walk 10 miles to school in the snow 14 feet deep and we liked it" or "Honey, we need to go on a diet, lets get a diet coke with our triple cheeseburgers with bacon and super size fries".
'Cut and paste' from a forum discussion fitting a 15T front sprocket to an FZ6

Technical word of advice.....dont drop your front sprocket.

Raise your back. By putting a smaller front sprocket on there, you're forceing the chain into a tighter turn on the front end, which ultimately wears out your chain faster. It's worth more to invest in a lighter rear sprocket with an *extra* tooth. You're after the loss of unsprung weight and a greater difference between front and rear teeth. Get a lighter back one (you'll lose more weight, I promise) and get that same power turn. Still not enough?....THEN drop the front as well, but be prepared for a 25% speedo error....you'll need a yellowbox or a speedohealer.

But yeah...dont buy into the "drop the front" hype until you understand why, and what the advantages/reprecussions are.
JohnCW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 05:28 PM   #216
lazeebum
n00b
 
Joined: Jan 2014
Location: Northwest Alabama
Oddometer: 5
I put a 16 tooth sprocket on the front of my klr and love it. Fuel mileage went from 42 miles per gallon to 50 plus. I also picked up a higher cruising speed at 5,000 rpm. My klr is the only bike I own right now, so it is mainly a road bike.
lazeebum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 06:17 PM   #217
Tripped1
Likely Lost.
 
Tripped1's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2009
Location: Sandy Eggo
Oddometer: 7,426
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnCW View Post

But yeah...dont buy into the "drop the front" hype until you understand why, and what the advantages/reprecussions are.[/I]
My Speed Triple has been -1/+3 for years. The chains still usually last over 25,000 miles. Of course this is also a SSSA and you run the chains pretty lose anyway.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by RottenScummyTroll View Post
Show folks something with a clutch and carburetor, and it's like teaching a baboon to use a Macbook.
Tripped1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 09:10 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014