User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-02-2014, 09:34 AM   #46
Prmurat
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 770
74 H2 resurrection

Again sorry for this post WHICH IS NOT ON H2.... But when feisty rimes with not too intelligent you have an interesting forum cocktail...
here is a pic of the bottom crankcase of a T500...Mr "I know everything, I am 51..." could maybe tell us what are the # 22 bolts??? As I am positive that 4th grade English is his only language I will translate: " 22. 2 plugs diameter 10x12mm draining of pre-compression case and of central crankcase bearing.
So glad I passed the age of 51 without making a fool of myself!!!

Prmurat screwed with this post 02-02-2014 at 09:44 AM
Prmurat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 10:10 AM   #47
joexr
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,773
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prmurat View Post
Again sorry for this post WHICH IS NOT ON H2.... But when feisty rimes with not too intelligent you have an interesting forum cocktail...
here is a pic of the bottom crankcase of a T500...Mr "I know everything, I am 51..." could maybe tell us what are the # 22 bolts??? As I am positive that 4th grade English is his only language I will translate: " 22. 2 plugs diameter 10x12mm draining of pre-compression case and of central crankcase bearing.
So glad I passed the age of 51 without making a fool of myself!!!
In your senility you've changed your story from valves to drain plugs.
joexr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 10:21 AM   #48
Prmurat
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
More to just empty the oil staying there than to recycle la Kawasaki.

Maybe time to change your glasses??? ... Or get brighter??
Old 02-02-2014, 12:12 PM   #49
joexr
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,773
Thumbs down

Quote:
Maybe time to change your glasses??? ... Or get brighter??
Wow , ignorance. You don't even dare to fully repeat your own post. Amazing. Loser.
joexr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 01:03 PM   #50
Prmurat
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by joexr View Post
Wow , ignorance. You don't even dare to fully repeat your own post. Amazing. Loser.

Blah blah blah....poor soul!
Old 02-02-2014, 01:09 PM   #51
rgmax OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 214
Exploring the details of Suzuki crankcase drain screws really should have its own thread.

Thanks guys....
rgmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 02:05 PM   #52
Prmurat
Studly Adventurer

Sorry again about the T500... It is not fair... Your post gave me the courage to put my H2 project on the front burner.... Crank done by Dave, new mufflers, double calipers (EX) and some frame gussets (I did race H2 in another life and was scared!), Ikon on the back and new electronic ign boxes...
Old 02-02-2014, 02:15 PM   #53
rgmax OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Sorry again about the T500... It is not fair... Your post gave me the courage to put my H2 project on the front burner.... Crank done by Dave, new mufflers, double calipers (EX) and some frame gussets (I did race H2 in another life and was scared!), Ikon on the back and new electronic ign boxes...
Cool bike!
Tell me about your ignition boxes. Rebuilt or aftermarket?
Old 02-02-2014, 02:37 PM   #54
Prmurat
Studly Adventurer

I went for the modern ones... Too bad for the "concour" restoration (but I still stick the stock sticker....vanity!).
Old 04-01-2014, 06:34 PM   #55
rgmax OP
Gnarly Adventurer

I finally got the frame sorted out. Just to recap, back in the 70s I had welded in additional frame bracing and trimmed off all the unused frame brackets.

I cut that extra bracing out and ground down the welds.

Brackets from cheap eBay donor frame.

Frame prepped and donor brackets tacked on.

I took the frame to have all the brackets finish welded. I asked the guy to reproduce the original globby locking welds. He used to work at McDonnell Douglas welding titanium and other exotic stuff so he had to practice making crappy looking welds first....

Anyway, turned out looking just like the factory did it.

Pretty happy how it all turned out. I'm sure somebody's thinking why didn't I just get another frame. I had to procure enough other parts so I had to draw the line somewhere. Anyway another frame wouldn't have made it 'my' bike.

So now it's of to the powdercoater with a bunch of other stuff.
Old 04-06-2014, 09:36 PM   #56
rgmax OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Started the engine bottom end assembly.

Rebuilt PorscheDave crankshaft.

Shift drum and hardware.

Transmission and kick start mechanism.

Getting the transmission shimmed was a little tricky. It was a balance of maximum shift dog engagement vs dog clearance when not in gear and gear/shim/circlip play.
1st through 4th turned out really well, 5th not so much. Probably ended up with about 60% engagement. It doesn't help that there is a fair amount of shift fork play even though it's well whithin spec.

These transmissions can chew up shims. Toothed shims are used between the free spinning gears and their circlips to prevent this. Later H2s typically had these in only one location.

The circlip with two tabs is the original style. FactoryPro has the other style available.

Next is assmble the case half's and then the clutch, etc.
Old 04-06-2014, 11:10 PM   #57
Nailhead
Painting by numbers

Oddometer: 6,110
I'm curious as to why you removed that additional bracing from the frame: didn't these handle badly enough to warrant leaving those in place?

'7? Benelli 650S, '80 BMW R100 RS, '07 KTM 990 Adventure
Nailhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 06:50 AM   #58
rgmax OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nailhead View Post
I'm curious as to why you removed that additional bracing from the frame: didn't these handle badly enough to warrant leaving those in place?
The bracing was removed so I could fit the factory airbox and I wanted the bike as it originally was.

In my opinion H2s did not deserve the reputation as evil handling motorcycles. A lot of this was probably inherited from early H1s.

I owned this bike and a new 1979 Kawasaki KZ1000 at the same time. The 1000 was the last and most improved version of the first generation bikes and had a stiffer frame than earlier versions. I lived in Texas at the time and the roads were all fast sweepers. That bike wobbled at any speed over 80-85. My H2 never did, even completely stock.

I don't think the additional frame bracing was necessary, at least not for street use. One area that does need addressed is the swing arm pivot area. These bikes have very long swing arms and any play at the pivot is a bad thing. The dreaded "hinge in the middle" syndrome.

I have a aftermarket pivot bolt kit that was available in the 70s for H2/KZ 900/1000s that eliminates any chance of this. It's the only aftermarket part I'm reusing. I'll post some info on that when I get the frame back from the powdercoater.

rgmax screwed with this post 04-07-2014 at 08:05 AM
Old 04-08-2014, 09:32 PM   #59
Nailhead
Painting by numbers

Oddometer: 6,110
Makes sense.

Great thread, BTW. It's provided some motivation & inspiration for my Benelli project.

'7? Benelli 650S, '80 BMW R100 RS, '07 KTM 990 Adventure
Nailhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 06:58 AM   #60
buls4evr
No Marks....

Oddometer: 2,318
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nailhead View Post
They handled badly enough that you would ADD gussetting, not SUBTRACT it... One of the worst handling stock frames of all times. Find a Harris or Spondon frame from England and widen out that frame especially around that swingarm pivot area so the thing has a fighting chance at handling.
buls4evr is offline   Reply With Quote