ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > The perfect line and other riding myths
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 01-31-2014, 12:05 AM   #1
Thanantos OP
Ride hard.
 
Thanantos's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2008
Location: Michigan
Oddometer: 3,546
It's the Offseason....Let's talk about Advanced Topics like Trail Braking

A recent post here reminded me of an interesting discussion I have had with riding buddies who are die hard Keith Code proponents...Trail Braking.

Here is Keith's recommendations for racers: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LrbZJbXwgrY

I'm not saying I'm right here, I'm only arguing that my approach will keep me on the pavement yet not necessarily give me the fastest lap time.

I like Keith Code a lot and buy into the smooth is fast argument (IMHO, that's just basic physics). What I don't buy into is the argument his followers espouse of staying off the rear brake no matter the situation.

I can see how Keith's explanation would work for track riders working for the best lap time. "If you're entering a corner too hot, slip the front brake and downshift to engine brake and slow the rear so you stay in a gear appropriate to your speed and can exit that corner safely, but with the most speed possible."

My problem with that in the EXTREMES OF TRACTION is I have less control engine braking than I do using my actual brakes.

My REAL WORLD application of this differs for on road riders (not track riders). If presented with this situation (as this flat-road midwestern rider was last year riding in NC and Kentucky) I would/did use the front AND rear to slow the bike and worry about the correct gear later. My theory being that the application of both keeps the bike stable on it's suspension but allows for more braking forces applied before that sharper than expected corner.

I would still downshift so I was in a very ROUGHLY appropriate gear, but I would not engage the clutch as to avoid additional traction loss to the rear tire.

My question for you is: "Why am I wrong?"

EDIT: And hit me with it! I've been an idiot for almost 40 years so I'm used to the abuse!
__________________
1999 DR350SE

2013 V-Strom

Thanantos screwed with this post 01-31-2014 at 12:27 AM
Thanantos is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 08:06 AM   #2
car94
What's this Box for?
 
car94's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2010
Location: West Central Missouri
Oddometer: 3,132
Question

Just bought the new KTM 1190R my MSC takes care of that for me!
Next topic, Does MSC really stabilize the Motorcycle in a lean well enough to prevent a low side or does the traction control work well enough to prevent a High side?
__________________
Ride Your Own Ride
car94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 10:03 AM   #3
randyo
Beastly Adventurer
 
randyo's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2007
Location: Northern NewEngland
Oddometer: 1,440
Off season ?

full throttle
__________________
RandyO
IBA # 9560
07 VeeStrom
99 SV650
82 XV920R
A man with a gun is a citizen
A man without a gun is a subject
randyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 10:01 PM   #4
Wraith Rider
Beastly Adventurer
 
Wraith Rider's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2012
Location: Germany
Oddometer: 1,009
I always use both brakes - one exception: When the brake pads of one are used up and I need some more miles to the nnext service.

I fully agree with you that one has better control with the brake than the engine/clutch (and it's no problem to shift down without using engine braking).

But maybe I should mention: I'm not riding a race bike but a sport tourer. So it's NECESSARY for to use both brakes for maximum braking. Therefore there's no discussion to me if I should use both brakes.
__________________
"Why not stay in disguise all the time? You know, look like everyone else."
"Because we shouldn't have to."
Wraith Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 03:29 AM   #5
JohnCW
Studly Adventurer
 
Joined: Dec 2013
Location: Sydney, Australia
Oddometer: 702
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thanantos View Post
A recent post here reminded me of an interesting discussion I have had with riding buddies who are die hard Keith Code proponents...Trail Braking.

Here is Keith's recommendations for racers: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LrbZJbXwgrY
I couldn't actually understand the what the video was actually getting at. Like what is the recommendation (a) have smooth correct downshifts approaching a corner, and (b) be comfortable carrying some speed under brakes into the corner?

I watched it twice and that's all I was able to get from it, which to me is pretty basic stuff. Perhaps I'm missing something important so if someone would enlighten me it'd be appreciated.
JohnCW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 09:31 AM   #6
trc.rhubarb
Beastly Adventurer
 
trc.rhubarb's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2011
Location: Concord, CA
Oddometer: 1,854
What's an offseason?

I find trail braking works really well for my Harley and use it to settle the bike since it has a mushy front end. Done correctly (I have my days) I can carry a lot higher corner speed without much drama than I can by just slowing some. Being in the bikes powerband seems a given to maintain the suspension load and prevent wallowing, as well as being able to fine tune speed and line corrections in the corner.

I've tuned in some overrun on the HD and the R90 is carbed so it has it naturally which let's me be a bit smoother when doing making throttle adjustments mid-corner. On the big BMW and Duc, they have no overrun and the throttle is much more sensitive to accidental closures. Luckily both of those bikes can corner faster than I can, so I just hang on if I'm in too hot but can lightly modulate with the rear brake.
__________________
2007 BMW GS Adventure
2000 Ducati 900ss
2010 Harley Ultra Limited
1975 BMW R90/6
Follow me here
trc.rhubarb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 11:31 AM   #7
Aj Mick
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Aj Mick's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2012
Location: Phuket, Thailand
Oddometer: 488
Intercourse champions.

Been riding since the mid '60s, without any education beyond the School of Hard Knocks (graduating in Common Sense in fairly short order)

I'm pretty new to these forums. I keep on coming across these new terms like "encounter steering" and now "trail biking", along with a whole Alphabet Soup of courses and such ATGATT, MSF, CBT, ABS, and so on. Ya'll must be intercourse champions.
__________________
there are old motorcyclists and bold motorcyclists
but you seldom meet an old, bold motorcyclist
Aj Mick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 11:37 AM   #8
Colorado_Rider
Studly Adventurer
 
Colorado_Rider's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2013
Location: Failville, CO
Oddometer: 925
I don't like keith code at all. His philosophy of getting on the gas long before the apex spoiles all the fun.
Colorado_Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 11:39 AM   #9
Colorado_Rider
Studly Adventurer
 
Colorado_Rider's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2013
Location: Failville, CO
Oddometer: 925
Quote:
Originally Posted by trc.rhubarb View Post
What's an offseason?

I find trail braking works really well for my Harley and use it to settle the bike since it has a mushy front end. Done correctly (I have my days) I can carry a lot higher corner speed without much drama than I can by just slowing some. Being in the bikes powerband seems a given to maintain the suspension load and prevent wallowing, as well as being able to fine tune speed and line corrections in the corner.

I've tuned in some overrun on the HD and the R90 is carbed so it has it naturally which let's me be a bit smoother when doing making throttle adjustments mid-corner. On the big BMW and Duc, they have no overrun and the throttle is much more sensitive to accidental closures. Luckily both of those bikes can corner faster than I can, so I just hang on if I'm in too hot but can lightly modulate with the rear brake.
You said "harley" and "corner speed" in the same paragraph
Colorado_Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 12:22 PM   #10
joexr
Banned
 
Joined: Jan 2011
Location: S.E.
Oddometer: 3,773
Thumb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado_Rider View Post
You said "harley" and "corner speed" in the same paragraph
joexr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 01:14 PM   #11
JohnCW
Studly Adventurer
 
Joined: Dec 2013
Location: Sydney, Australia
Oddometer: 702
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnCW View Post
I couldn't actually understand the what the video was actually getting at. Like what is the recommendation (a) have smooth correct downshifts approaching a corner, and (b) be comfortable carrying some speed under brakes into the corner?

I watched it twice and that's all I was able to get from it, which to me is pretty basic stuff. Perhaps I'm missing something important so if someone would enlighten me it'd be appreciated.
I'll answer my own question. After I wrote the above I had a chance to watch Keith Code's a Twist of the Wrist video. Every YouTube video I've seen is just a piece edited from this video.

I've never liked the YouTube cuts because they seem so out of context or something. But if you watch the whole video, which is about three times as long as it needs to be, totally cheesy, and a whole lot of self promotion, at least each of the individual ideas make more sense.

Now that I know what the term "trail braking" means, about my only thoughts are who doesn't ease of but still carry some braking going into a high speed corner?

JohnCW screwed with this post 02-02-2014 at 01:24 PM
JohnCW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 01:33 PM   #12
trc.rhubarb
Beastly Adventurer
 
trc.rhubarb's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2011
Location: Concord, CA
Oddometer: 1,854
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado_Rider View Post
You said "harley" and "corner speed" in the same paragraph
Meh, let's not turn this into another Harley bashing thread. There are enough already.
__________________
2007 BMW GS Adventure
2000 Ducati 900ss
2010 Harley Ultra Limited
1975 BMW R90/6
Follow me here
trc.rhubarb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 02:31 PM   #13
joexr
Banned
 
Joined: Jan 2011
Location: S.E.
Oddometer: 3,773
Quote:
Originally Posted by trc.rhubarb View Post
Meh, let's not turn this into another Harley bashing thread. There are enough already.
You're absolutely right. It's too damn easy.
joexr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 02:53 PM   #14
Colorado_Rider
Studly Adventurer
 
Colorado_Rider's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2013
Location: Failville, CO
Oddometer: 925
grrr...must...resist...saying...something...bad... about...girly men...and .... thier.... ... .HARLEYS!!!! AAAHHHHhhh can't help it!!!!!
Colorado_Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 03:33 AM   #15
Thanantos OP
Ride hard.
 
Thanantos's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2008
Location: Michigan
Oddometer: 3,546
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnCW View Post
Now that I know what the term "trail braking" means, about my only thoughts are who doesn't ease of but still carry some braking going into a high speed corner?
Well, I don't know. That's why I asked.

I'm trying to find a safe, comfortable medium between MSF's "Never Touch The Brakes In A Corner Or God Will Kill Puppies!" and Keith's "Never Touch The Rear Brake Ever, Use The Engine!"

MSF's approach is the right one for n00b's and Keith's is probably right for track racers. I'm neither. I'm just a guy who likes to ride hard as safely as possible.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
__________________
1999 DR350SE

2013 V-Strom
Thanantos is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 04:17 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014