Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-27-2014, 06:47 AM   #1651
Oreh
Adventurer

Oddometer: 16
Recently, I bought same lap timer:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/lap-timer-be...bb1bea&vxp=mtr

I have problem with GP8 timing, because beacon is on different side of bike at start then at the end.
I can measure time of each lap, but can not measure whole GP8 course.

Does anyone have experience of how to set a beacon and reciver that will detect the measurements from both sides?
Oreh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 06:54 AM   #1652
Jezza
A British Invasion

Oddometer: 1,168
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oreh View Post
Does anyone have experience of how to set a beacon and reciver that will detect the measurements from both sides?
I guess you will need a second transmitter box, so if you start with one transmitter on your right at the start, a second one to be placed on your right at the finish cones.
Old 01-27-2014, 07:14 AM   #1653
Motogymkhanaman
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 211
A couple of our riders use those lap timer devices that have a trackside beacon and they use two beacons so that the receiver gets a hit no matter which way the bike is pointing.

The only trouble is that they are a bit coarse and so may not be all that accurate. I did write to our friends in Japan to see if any of them knew a way of modifying a stopwatch to accept a start/stop signal from an i/r gate. It seems that they use the sensors from garage door systems and then do some magic with the electronics in the watch itself. So far nobody has been able to point me in the direction of a wiring diagram that shows how this is done.
Old 01-27-2014, 12:27 PM   #1654
Vulfy OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 543
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motogymkhanaman View Post
A couple of our riders use those lap timer devices that have a trackside beacon and they use two beacons so that the receiver gets a hit no matter which way the bike is pointing.

The only trouble is that they are a bit coarse and so may not be all that accurate. I did write to our friends in Japan to see if any of them knew a way of modifying a stopwatch to accept a start/stop signal from an i/r gate. It seems that they use the sensors from garage door systems and then do some magic with the electronics in the watch itself. So far nobody has been able to point me in the direction of a wiring diagram that shows how this is done.
The timer itself is pretty accurate, and holds a lot of laps to scroll through. However the triggering system is a bit cumbersome to set-up and sometimes doesn't pick up the signal, or can pick up some other infrared light source and start/stop your timer in the middle of the lap. I found it works for me about 90% of the time, and when it doesn't, it usually just needs a readjusting on the bike, or old batteries in the beacons.

As far as using this timer for GP8, yes, you need two beacons, set up on both sides of the start/finish line.

Those beacons are nothing more but an infrared light bulb. You can probably just get it at Radio Shack and strap it to a battery.
Vulfy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 03:42 AM   #1655
Motogymkhanaman
Gnarly Adventurer

With regard to quick & easy timing systems, I have found something that I think will do the trick.

I have written to the organisers of the event that this kit was built for to try and track down the designer. If I can persuade him to reveal his parts list and a wiring diagram then I will post it up ASAP.

Old 01-28-2014, 09:04 AM   #1656
Vulfy OP
Studly Adventurer

This might have gotten lost, as it was the last post on the previous page, and might have gotten skipped over as the page turned, but this link has instructions and wiring diagrams for exactly what you guys are looking for.

As I said, the only reason I haven't built this, is that I never had any experience with assembling electronics.

I tried to outsource this to a few people I knew, but it never got off the ground.

Here is the link:

http://www.instructables.com/id/Laser-Sensor-Timer/
Old 01-29-2014, 09:30 AM   #1657
RichBeBe
All Hail Seitan!!!

Oddometer: 6,049
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vulfy View Post
This might have gotten lost, as it was the last post on the previous page, and might have gotten skipped over as the page turned, but this link has instructions and wiring diagrams for exactly what you guys are looking for.

As I said, the only reason I haven't built this, is that I never had any experience with assembling electronics.

I tried to outsource this to a few people I knew, but it never got off the ground.

Here is the link:

http://www.instructables.com/id/Laser-Sensor-Timer/
Not that this will help much since they are cheap, but I have a bunch of cheapo stopwatches if anyone wants to try this I can send or meet up to give one or two to someone.
Old 01-30-2014, 09:51 AM   #1658
Motogymkhanaman
Gnarly Adventurer

A variation on the Moto Gymkhana theme is Duel-Attack, a bit like drag racing only with a high degree of bike control involved. This video is of our group in Vietnam just having fun by running it as a team event.

Old 01-30-2014, 12:21 PM   #1659
Vulfy OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motogymkhanaman View Post
A variation on the Moto Gymkhana theme is Duel-Attack, a bit like drag racing only with a high degree of bike control involved. This video is of our group in Vietnam just having fun by running it as a team event.

I really like this idea. As much as time attacks are, a head to head competition is a good change of pace. We are definitely doing something similar this summer.
Old 02-01-2014, 05:25 AM   #1660
pterus
n00b

Oddometer: 4
this other photoelectric switch timer system looks simpler to make: http://translate.googleusercontent.c...GwPpjhuUsA7W4Q
pterus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 02:02 PM   #1661
Sckill
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 196
Good practice session today. Vulfy, YamahaRN - any chance you guys have pictures from today?
Old 02-02-2014, 05:14 PM   #1662
nuggets
Fries with that?

Oddometer: 1,682
It had been a long time since I did any gymkhana, but I made some time to get out today.

I took this fat girl for a dance:
Old 02-03-2014, 01:46 AM   #1663
YamahaRN
Adventurer

Oddometer: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sckill View Post
Good practice session today. Vulfy, YamahaRN - any chance you guys have pictures from today?
I put the ones I have on the fb page.
YamahaRN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 04:40 AM   #1664
Sckill
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 196
Quote:
Originally Posted by YamahaRN View Post
Thanks!
Old 02-03-2014, 05:28 AM   #1665
ohgood
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,086
Quote:
Originally Posted by YamahaRN View Post
how about putting it here, so three days from now when Facebook changes something we'll still have access , please?