Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > The perfect line and other riding myths
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-03-2014, 01:42 AM   #16
AST236
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,000
The best 'sport tourer' (using my personal criteria for the definition) I've ever owned was my R1150GS. I enjoy my FJR, but often wish I'd kept the GS.

I don't like sand.
AST236 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 02:25 AM   #17
Pecha72
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,812
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wraith Rider View Post
As long as you always stay on paved roads an adventure style bike is useless.
You΄re wrong.

Or maybe I should put it this way: the condition of paved roads can vary a lot. The more cracks, bumps and potholes on the paved surface, the nicer it is to have more suspension travel, and usually also wheels, that can take a bit more pounding than your average sporttourer wheels can.

And many current adventure bikes can actually be very pleasant to ride even on smooth paved roads.
Countries ridden • FIN • SWE • NOR • DK • EE • LV • LT • POL • SK • HU • RO • BG • GR • IT • AT • DE • CZ • CH • SMR • LIE • NL • BE • FR • AND • ES • GBR • LUX • SI • HR • BIH • SRB • MK • TR • IR • PAK • IND • TH • KH • LA • MY • ID • AUS • CR • USA • ZA • LS • SWZ • MZ • NA • BW • ZM • ZW
Pecha72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 02:25 AM   #18
/dev/null
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 176
The difference between an ADV bike and a sport tourer is about 150lb.

I've always been curious to know why this is the case. To get that number I'm comparing stuff like the R1200GS-not-A, MTS1200, and KTM twins to the FJR1300, ST1300, and C14.

On the other hand, the GSA, Triumph Explorer and Super Tenere are equivalent in weight to the outgoing R1200RT. Once that bike stops production though, I don't think there will be an ST bike with over 100hp made whose wet weight (lb) starts with a 5. I guess the VFR1200 and Ninja 1000 might count, but I think they're somewhat on the edge of the touring segment.
Old 02-03-2014, 03:12 AM   #19
PeterW
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,564
Quote:
Originally Posted by /dev/null View Post

I've always been curious to know why this is the case. To get that number I'm comparing stuff like the R1200GS-not-A, MTS1200, and KTM twins to the FJR1300, ST1300, and C14.

On the other hand, the GSA, Triumph Explorer and Super Tenere are equivalent in weight to the outgoing R1200RT. Once that bike stops production though, I don't think there will be an ST bike with over 100hp made whose wet weight (lb) starts with a 5. I guess the VFR1200 and Ninja 1000 might count, but I think they're somewhat on the edge of the touring segment.
Nailed it, the ST's are 'better' provided conditions are near perfect. The DS bikes cope better when things turn to 'less than perfect', weight really kicks in when you hit that 20k's of unexpected road works or it starts raining REALLY hard.

Pete
PeterW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 07:05 AM   #20
Colorado_Rider OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,182
Ok I'm sold. Especially on the embarrassment that is our Colorado roads for the four months a year you can ride them that is.
Colorado_Rider is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 08:47 AM   #21
Wraith Rider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,299
@Pecha72
Have a look at the main street of my home town:

Though I always jokingly say that's why SUVs and ADV bikes are the perfect city bikes, it's nothing a sports bike - or her wheels for that matter - couldn't easily handle, not to mention a tourer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterW View Post
weight really kicks in when [...] it starts raining REALLY hard.
How the heck could weight be related to rain?
Old 02-03-2014, 12:35 PM   #22
rivercreep
Banned

Oddometer: 3,243
I think it really has to do more with the quality of the suspension of the bikes being compared.
The above being said, I'll take a budget suspension on a DR650 over that of my TU250X any day...because I enjoy having healthy kidneys. (the travel makes up for a multitude of designer sins)

...and wraithrider, your roads make Pennsylvania's look completely smooth. I don't think anyone in a State/Country with good roads, can ever appreciate extra suspension travel, until they encounter roads where potholes are lane wide, 4-9 inches deep (or more, that appear over night) and there are frost heaves the size of speed bumps.

I've bent a few street bike wheels in my time...never, NEVER have I managed to even ding the wheels on any of my stock suspension DR650's.
...I'll never own another pure street bike, ever again. (I'm getting too old for the pounding Pa. roads give me)
rivercreep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 05:24 PM   #23
Sp4Mike
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 218
Quote:
@Pecha72
Have a look at the main street of my home town:

If I remember the sign from my German Drivers license test, that is 'straben schaden'

How bad is my spelling?

Nothing like cooking down the A6 at 140 and seeing that sign too late!
Sp4Mike is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 07:41 PM   #24
/dev/null
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 176
Quote:
How the heck could weight be related to rain?
More gravity. It pulls the rain toward you and you get wetter. Fact.
Old 02-03-2014, 08:49 PM   #25
James Adams
Misplaced

Oddometer: 9,167
For me, it's about ergonomics. The upright position of most of the adventure-touring bikes is really comfortable.

However, my sport-touring bike gets most of the miles.
James Adams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 05:14 AM   #26
Pecha72
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,812
Quote:
@Pecha72
Have a look at the main street of my home town:.
Yes, if you have an excellent surface like that, sure you can do that on any bike just fine.
Countries ridden • FIN • SWE • NOR • DK • EE • LV • LT • POL • SK • HU • RO • BG • GR • IT • AT • DE • CZ • CH • SMR • LIE • NL • BE • FR • AND • ES • GBR • LUX • SI • HR • BIH • SRB • MK • TR • IR • PAK • IND • TH • KH • LA • MY • ID • AUS • CR • USA • ZA • LS • SWZ • MZ • NA • BW • ZM • ZW
Pecha72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 08:43 AM   #27
Wraith Rider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,299
@Pecha72
I showed you mine now show me yours.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sp4Mike View Post
If I remember the sign from my German Drivers license test, that is 'straben schaden'

How bad is my spelling?
Straίenschaden
Old 02-04-2014, 09:18 AM   #28
bk brkr baker
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,464
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pecha72 View Post
Yes, if you have an excellent surface like that, sure you can do that on any bike just fine.
True.
I live in the country and city riding is not my favorite. The street shown in the vid would be easily doable on any bike.
Now the oppisite side of the coin is New York City.
Damn ! I rode around in it one night between 2 am and day light and it has bomb craters waiting to ruin your day. Wheel swallowing potholes.
That night, there was little traffic so the guy riding with me and I were able to see and miss most of them. But, in the day traffic you can't really see the road in front of you as it's covered by buses,cabs and cars .My SR500 is not graced by much suspension and I bottomed out both ends and the foam on the seat causing my back to machine gun crack like a visit to a chiropractor.
If I ever go to NYC again my weapon of choice will be my KLR.
bk brkr baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 05:02 PM   #29
dwoodward
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,244
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado_Rider View Post
So for example, Stock multistrada vs Ninja 1000 w/upgraded suspension of equal quality (hypothetical I know)
Buy the Tiger Explorer.

(But seriously- The MS is a great bike to ride, but a friend has one and it spends more nightsat the dealership than in his own garage.)
dwoodward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 11:31 AM   #30
scottrnelson
Team Orange

Oddometer: 1,424
Quote:
Originally Posted by /dev/null View Post
Not all of them.

I rode a Ducati ST2 for many years before I bought my KTM 990 Adv. It weighed less than my KTM, which is one of the lighter big adventure bikes. The Ducati was a great long distance bike, but not something I would ever want to take on a dirt road.

The biggest differences I see for "sport touring" duty between the Ducati and KTM is that I have a little more legroom on the KTM, I'm able to spend more time on the seat on the KTM before my backside gets sore, and the KTM does a bit better on really rough roads. I had the suspension on the ST2 adjusted by a suspension expert so that it worked great on twisty roads, but it would bottom out on really rough stuff. I have to hit a major pothole offroad on the KTM to get it to bottom out.

I'm sure that I would love riding a Multistrada 1200ST, and I'm sort of afraid to take a test ride on one, because I'm not sure I could afford one right now. The fear is that I would feel that I have to have one after a test ride.

The vast majority of my riding would be better on the Multistrada, but I still occasionally take my KTM places that I wouldn't take the Ducati. Part of that is the fear of scratching a beautiful bike. For some reason it wouldn't bother me much to scratch the KTM and I don't even look for scratches on my XR650L, which gets dropped once in a while.