User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-04-2014, 09:52 PM   #31
petermac
Adventurer

Oddometer: 52
Nice to see this bike saved.

I bought this exact model new in Australia,rode it on the road and raced it.

Heaps of fun,fondly remembered,scary handling was excting
petermac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 07:05 AM   #32
przjohn OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by anonny View Post
Yes the trannys are simple, there a lot of good reading on how to shim it properly, the biggest issue is getting the kickstart spring on properly and even that's not rocket surgery

Have you given any thought to what kind of crank seal you are going to use? Porsche Dave in California has a good reputation for triple crank rebuilding.
Porsche Dave has an excellent reputation and may try him on this one if he has the time available. I have used both Labyrinthe and standard seals with good results. The Kstart issue has never been a problem, though now I just jinxed this one.
przjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 07:45 PM   #33
Reverend12
Well there it is..

Oddometer: 1,412
Going to be a really nice restoration!
Reverend12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 02:49 PM   #34
przjohn OP
Adventurer

Finally got to the rolling chassis this weekend. One of the toughest things to assemble for me seems to be getting the front end attached to the frame without having everything head to the floor. It sounds simple enough, but by yourself attaching the forks and frame to the front wheel always seems to be a balancing act for me. This time I attached the wheel to the lift and kind of wobble walked the frame and forks to it, seemed to work good.

[/IMG]
Old 01-12-2014, 02:53 PM   #35
przjohn OP
Adventurer

Getting the rolling chassis together was a big milestone but most of the work this weekend centered around the engine. The crank is now ready to go out for a complete rebuild of seals, bearings, and rods. This is an expensive job and is critical in a 2T restore as the seals must be replaced to have a "New" motor, and, since this is a multi cylinder motor you need to disassemble the crank to do that. I am going to contact Porsche Dave from the Triples site to see if he will rebuild it. The real time consuming part of this weekend was cleaning the cases. It starts with a trip to the car wash, then scrubbing with parts cleaner, and lastly a very fine glass bead. The glass bead needs to be done a few times as there is still dirt that needs to be Dremel wire brushed off from these old cases. I have read about guys who don't glass bead because of either failure potential or because the cases dirty quickly. I clean the bejesus out of them and blow out every orifice and screw hole. There is absolutely no glass bead left in there. I also use an extremely fine bead that doesn't make the substrate suseptible to holding dirt afterwards, almost as fine as soda blasting. It has worked well for me on past restorations. Here is a before and after of the cases and the crank ready to be boxed and shipped. Notice no corrosion at all on the crank, a real good sign.

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]
Old 01-12-2014, 02:57 PM   #36
przjohn OP
Adventurer

So, when you do a restoration and spend most of the weekend cleaning cases it is nice to take 5 minutes and bolt on some eye candy. That way, end of day, you can open a beer and admire more of your work. Is it no surprise that is my favorite part of the day? Here is the new hydraulic stabilizer mounted up. I am not putting the static stabilizer back on the triple clamps. Here is a pic of the hydraulic unit mounted and the triple clamps with a standard Kawasaki bolt and washer instead of the static stabilizer. Notice the new fork caps and all mounting bolts are new reproduction too.

[/IMG]

[/IMG]
Old 01-16-2014, 05:10 PM   #37
vtwin
Air cooled runnin' mon

Oddometer: 7,028
I know a guy that specializes in these cranks. Let me know if you want the link.

"You only have too much fuel if you're on fire"
unknown
vtwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 07:58 AM   #38
przjohn OP
Adventurer

This was another weekend of prep work. Saturday was spent cleaning heads and cylinders. The cylinders are in the truck and will be dropped off at Eastwood Machine in Somers, CT. With the crank now safely delivered to Dave Singleton, AKA Porchedave in California the engine build should come together in a few weeks.
[/IMG]
Old 01-27-2014, 08:01 AM   #39
przjohn OP
Adventurer

Another prep job that got done was the front caliper rebuild. I have been using Zip Strip to remove paint from parts first and then using a fine bead to remove the last bits. Seems to be easier as the fine glass bead doesn't remove paint well. Here is a before first, then the housings painted with the kit including new piston, and finally the caliper on the bike.

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]
Old 01-27-2014, 08:06 AM   #40
przjohn OP
Adventurer

The next job that was to be tackled was the seat.

[/IMG]

But then there was this surprise. The seat pan is N/G. I have ordered a new reproduction one from Z1 Enterprises.

[/IMG]

So, it was move on to the front pegs.

[/IMG]

The springs, washers, and clips were all run through the Zinc plate process.

[/IMG]

Then attached to the freshly painted stalks with new reproduction grips.

[/IMG]
Old 01-27-2014, 08:12 AM   #41
przjohn OP
Adventurer

The bike didn't come with an air cleaner but I had a used one on the shelf from a past project. I like a stock look so this will work well. The cleaner got sand blasted and painted. The clips also got a new Zinc plate.

[/IMG]

Started on Zinc plating the head bolts and only got to these 4 so far.

[/IMG]

Though I did have time to start on some of a buddy's Honda 750 project bolts too. Next weekend will be a big Zinc plate weekend, got a late start this weekend.

[/IMG]

The headlight bolts came in so I at least got something else mounted to the bike. The ears have been powder coated and the reflectors are NOS. It's nice to at least have a little something to bolt on after a weekend of prep. I could have mounted the foot pegs too but prefer to have them on after the engine is in place as they are just sticking out there and in the way. Kind of like the handlebars. I like them to go on after all engine and lower work is done because I keep bumping my fat Pollock head into them when standing up.

[/IMG]
Old 02-03-2014, 10:09 AM   #42
przjohn OP
Adventurer

More prep work this weekend. Got the carbs cleaned and rebuilt. I soak them over night in carb cleaner and then flash dip them in Muriatic Acid to get a new carb look. For some reason on these carbs the bowls came out slightly lighter than the bodies. The carbs also got new bowl screws and the manifold clamps were zinc plated. I have NOS clamps for the air cleaner sides. The carbs before,

[/IMG]

And after,

[/IMG]

Did a bunch more plating this weekend too. Here are the head bolts and nuts done. The bolts also use a lock washer, and for that, new ones will be used. The standard washers are a thin washer and I didn't want to replace them with a thicker washer. I figure there must be reason they are thin.

[/IMG]
Old 02-03-2014, 10:14 AM   #43
przjohn OP
Adventurer

I had a goal of getting the meters done and mounted but it didn't happen. I have an NOS speedo because the original was broke. The tach is in excellent shape with no fading at all. Something pretty rare on a bike this age. The meter covers are done in a textured finish. Rustoleum textured rattle can worked perfectly. I also have a new ignition switch and fork lock that are keyed alike. Most times I ignore the fork lock but this bike gets a new one. The meter covers before,

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

Also got some other stuff prepped and painted. This coming weekend will be another one off this project as I need to go where it's warm. The engine components should be back when I return so the engine can then start moving forward. I will check on the paint too and try and light a fire over there.

[/IMG]
Old 02-06-2014, 11:16 AM   #44
DaLunk
Confused and Bemused

Oddometer: 501
I'm subscribed. I've been kicking myself in the ass since 1985 when I sold my '76 kh400. My only consolation is that I sold it back to the guy I bought it from and he rebuilt her into a thing of beauty. That bike was my daily ride through several years of college and after, and I'd have another in a heartbeat.

I can't wait to see the finished bike so I can start kicking my self harder.
DaLunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 11:34 AM   #45
przjohn OP
Adventurer

Dave Emailed me today and the crank has been shipped. The cylinders are ready at Eastwood Machine and will be picked up tomorrow. I will be away next week so the motor will not be coming together this weekend. Will be back at it next Sunday and am anxious to get the motor together and in the frame. Lots of stuff can start happening then like exhaust, carbs, air box, etc. Dave does very nice work and here is the finished crank ready to ship, cost with shipping about $750.00.

[/IMG]