ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > The perfect line and other riding myths
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 02-01-2014, 05:10 AM   #31
390beretta OP
Studly Adventurer
 
Joined: Oct 2009
Oddometer: 904
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie Z View Post
My experience is that most people here use the center lane responsibly as a merge lane. Legal or not... It's never bothered me.

I'm glad it's not enforced because I do it too.

I guess your post isn't so clear to me.

Jamie
Jamie, sorry but what part of my post isn't clear? I object to the practice for a number of reasons. 1. It clogs up the left turn lane for those who want to use it for its intended purpose. 2. When drivers continue moving in the left turn lane while waiting to merge, it compounds the problem. 3. It creates a genuine hazard for motorcyclists beyond just a potential fender-bender. 4. Frequently, drivers "dart" across on-coming traffic just to make it to the left turn lane really without adequate clearance, which potentially causes a dangerous situation because the rest of us on the road can't read their mind regarding their intention.
__________________
I came into this world kicking, crying and covered in someone else's blood. I have no problem leaving the same way.
390beretta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 09:46 AM   #32
Idle
Studly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jun 2011
Location: Northern California
Oddometer: 578
Quote:
Originally Posted by 390beretta View Post
I live and ride a lot in PHX. AZ. Lately I've noticed a lot of cagers using the left turn lane as a "safe place" when they want to turn left. They typically dart into the left turn lane when traffic coming from their left permits. Then, coast/drive slowly, sometimes blinker on/sometimes not, indicating their intention to move to the right when possible.

Is this maneuver legal where you live? It used to be illegal here, but I've never seen it enforced; not sure if it's currently legal.
It is legal in California and Arizona, and likely always has been legal.

Source; http://www.arizonadriver.com/course_sample.html

Many major surface streets have center lanes that can be used by traffic in either direction to make left turns. A two-way left turn center lane is marked by double parallel yellow lines, with the exterior lines solid and the interior dashed on each side. If a street has a center left turn lane, you may enter and use it to enter or exit a driveway or private road, when preparing for or making a left turn, or when preparing for or making a U-turn if permitted. If exiting a driveway or private road, you may use this lane to merge. You may not drive more than 200 feet in the center left turn lane. You may drive across a center left turn lane if needed.
Idle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 10:11 AM   #33
390beretta OP
Studly Adventurer
 
Joined: Oct 2009
Oddometer: 904
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Idle View Post
It is legal in California and Arizona, and likely always has been legal.

Source; http://www.arizonadriver.com/course_sample.html

Many major surface streets have center lanes that can be used by traffic in either direction to make left turns. A two-way left turn center lane is marked by double parallel yellow lines, with the exterior lines solid and the interior dashed on each side. If a street has a center left turn lane, you may enter and use it to enter or exit a driveway or private road, when preparing for or making a left turn, or when preparing for or making a U-turn if permitted. If exiting a driveway or private road, you may use this lane to merge. You may not drive more than 200 feet in the center left turn lane. You may drive across a center left turn lane if needed.
Well, thanks for the information. You may have seen my earlier post where a police officer I spoke with said it wasn't legal to use the turn lane for merging. Now that I've read your post, I guess I'll just have to shut the hell up and live with the situation I will say however that almost everyone violates the 200 ft. rule, at least around here. Thanks again.
__________________
I came into this world kicking, crying and covered in someone else's blood. I have no problem leaving the same way.
390beretta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 10:12 AM   #34
ttpete
Rectum Non Bustibus
 
Joined: May 2009
Location: Dearborn, MI
Oddometer: 5,217
Quote:
Originally Posted by Idle View Post
It is legal in California and Arizona, and likely always has been legal.

Source; http://www.arizonadriver.com/course_sample.html

Many major surface streets have center lanes that can be used by traffic in either direction to make left turns. A two-way left turn center lane is marked by double parallel yellow lines, with the exterior lines solid and the interior dashed on each side. If a street has a center left turn lane, you may enter and use it to enter or exit a driveway or private road, when preparing for or making a left turn, or when preparing for or making a U-turn if permitted. If exiting a driveway or private road, you may use this lane to merge. You may not drive more than 200 feet in the center left turn lane. You may drive across a center left turn lane if needed.
Exactly. That's the way we do it here as well. I'm a bit surprised that it seems to be difficult to understand.
__________________
10 Ducati 1098 Streetfighter S - "Sleipnir"
09 Kaw Versys
67 Triumph Bonneville TT Special
"The problem with Socialism is that you eventually run out of other people's money" _____ Margaret Thatcher
ttpete is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 10:19 AM   #35
ttpete
Rectum Non Bustibus
 
Joined: May 2009
Location: Dearborn, MI
Oddometer: 5,217
Quote:
Originally Posted by 390beretta View Post
Well, thanks for the information. You may have seen my earlier post where a police officer I spoke with said it wasn't legal to use the turn lane for merging. Now that I've read your post, I guess I'll just have to shut the hell up and live with the situation I will say however that almost everyone violates the 200 ft. rule, at least around here. Thanks again.
A long time ago, I learned to always take a cop's opinion with a grain of salt. They're not always right.
__________________
10 Ducati 1098 Streetfighter S - "Sleipnir"
09 Kaw Versys
67 Triumph Bonneville TT Special
"The problem with Socialism is that you eventually run out of other people's money" _____ Margaret Thatcher
ttpete is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 11:36 AM   #36
PT Rider
Studly Adventurer
 
Joined: Aug 2009
Location: NW Washington State
Oddometer: 626
Washington State law RCW46.61.290
"(c) Upon a roadway where a center lane has been provided by distinctive pavement markings for the use of vehicles turning left from either direction, no vehicles may turn left from any other lane. A vehicle shall not be driven in this center lane for the purpose of overtaking or passing another vehicle proceeding in the same direction. No vehicle may travel further than three hundred feet within the lane. A signal, either electric or manual, for indicating a left turn movement, shall be made at least one hundred feet before the actual left turn movement is made."

I use the center lane as a get-on waiting spot to merge into traffic going left. A problem here locally is with the dimwits who turn left and wait in the oncoming traffic's left turn lane! Man---if the double yellow line is on your left, you are on the wrong side of the road!!
__________________
It's not what you look at that matters, it's what you see.
Henry David Thoreau
PT Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 06:02 PM   #37
390beretta OP
Studly Adventurer
 
Joined: Oct 2009
Oddometer: 904
You know guys, I'm not sure I "get all of this shit"; my original post had to do with "assholes" who abuse the center lane (left turn lane). Now, thanks to a previous poster; I understand that I was wrong. (except for the MF'rs who abuse how long they can "travel" in that lane without merging. IMO, it's still a problem for moto riders! And one that "y'all (I learned that when I briefly lived in NC) need to be aware of and exercise caution. No hard feelings to anyone but I still think it stinks that cagers can use that lane to merge.
__________________
I came into this world kicking, crying and covered in someone else's blood. I have no problem leaving the same way.
390beretta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 06:36 PM   #38
Bill Harris
Confirmed Curmudgeon
 
Bill Harris's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2008
Location: backwoods Alabama
Oddometer: 6,019
It's an imperfect world and some just will never march lockstep with the nannystate. Deal with it. Else, you could always go Postal and pop 'em with your Glock...

--Bill
__________________
'73 R60/5 Toaster
Luddite. Not just a philosophy, a way of life...
Bill Harris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 08:22 PM   #39
390beretta OP
Studly Adventurer
 
Joined: Oct 2009
Oddometer: 904
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Harris View Post
It's an imperfect world and some just will never march lockstep with the nannystate. Deal with it. Else, you could always go Postal and pop 'em with your Glock...

--Bill
Hey Bill, I'm not a gun nut; although I'm usually armed. My name "390beretta" refers to a shotgun I shot winning the '93 and '05 AZ state sporting clays championship. Please don't confuse me, my post name, with asshole gun nuts. By the way; I shoot 1911's, can't stand Glocks. Thanks.
__________________
I came into this world kicking, crying and covered in someone else's blood. I have no problem leaving the same way.
390beretta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 04:40 AM   #40
ZoSo15
n00b
 
Joined: May 2013
Oddometer: 7
When I went to traffic school here in phoenix a while back this came up. And the previous poster is right, you can drive up to 200 ft.

But the general consensus is you shouldn't try to get up to speed in it. If you are using the center lane to merge you should come to a stop until you see an opening.

It works pefectly fine that way. When people actually drive in that lane it makes things way too dangerous because someone from the other side could be trying to take a left.

It pisses me off when people drive in it. Yeah, sometimes there's heavy traffic and you really need to use it if you don't want to wait all day, but it's not that hard to come to a stop. I don't understand why anyone would want to drive in it when it's a fucking two way.
ZoSo15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 05:08 AM   #41
390beretta OP
Studly Adventurer
 
Joined: Oct 2009
Oddometer: 904
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZoSo15 View Post
When I went to traffic school here in phoenix a while back this came up. And the previous poster is right, you can drive up to 200 ft.

But the general consensus is you shouldn't try to get up to speed in it. If you are using the center lane to merge you should come to a stop until you see an opening.

It works pefectly fine that way. When people actually drive in that lane it makes things way too dangerous because someone from the other side could be trying to take a left.

It pisses me off when people drive in it. Yeah, sometimes there's heavy traffic and you really need to use it if you don't want to wait all day, but it's not that hard to come to a stop. I don't understand why anyone would want to drive in it when it's a fucking two way.
What this gentleman said!
__________________
I came into this world kicking, crying and covered in someone else's blood. I have no problem leaving the same way.
390beretta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 05:29 AM   #42
manfromthestix
Lost in Space
 
manfromthestix's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2004
Location: Lexington, Virginia
Oddometer: 2,093
I don't know what the law says about this here in Virginia and I really don't care because the lanes exist and people use them however they see fit. The issue seems to be another one of those "you just better watch your ass because some idiot is aimed at you" traffic maneuvers that can be dangerous if you aren't paying attention. I've seen people drive for an entire block in the turn lane as well as use it as a merge lane and I've never seen a police officer stop anyone for it. Around here we also use the left turn lane to store road salt, sand, broken glass, etc. that you have to be careful of. It's just another of the thousands of things to keep on your radar as you ride if you want to live to ride another day, not something to get too upset about. I worry more about the white-tailed deer around here - those fookers don't pay ANY attention to the laws about crossing or merging with traffic and I've never once seen the cops pull one of them over!

Doug
__________________
"If it doesn't blow smoke and make noise, it isn't a sport!" - radio ad for shop in Bozeman, MT
manfromthestix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 05:58 AM   #43
390beretta OP
Studly Adventurer
 
Joined: Oct 2009
Oddometer: 904
Quote:
Originally Posted by manfromthestix View Post
I don't know what the law says about this here in Virginia and I really don't care because the lanes exist and people use them however they see fit. The issue seems to be another one of those "you just better watch your ass because some idiot is aimed at you" traffic maneuvers that can be dangerous if you aren't paying attention. I've seen people drive for an entire block in the turn lane as well as use it as a merge lane and I've never seen a police officer stop anyone for it. Around here we also use the left turn lane to store road salt, sand, broken glass, etc. that you have to be careful of. It's just another of the thousands of things to keep on your radar as you ride if you want to live to ride another day, not something to get too upset about. I worry more about the white-tailed deer around here - those fookers don't pay ANY attention to the laws about crossing or merging with traffic and I've never once seen the cops pull one of them over!

Doug
Yep, I'd have to agree with you Doug. Not many deer around here, at least not that jump across the road; just the occasional wild burro standing in the road.
__________________
I came into this world kicking, crying and covered in someone else's blood. I have no problem leaving the same way.
390beretta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 07:15 AM   #44
dwoodward
Beastly Adventurer
 
dwoodward's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2005
Location: Pacific NorthWet, Napa Valley North
Oddometer: 4,662
Quote:
Originally Posted by 390beretta View Post
IMO, it's still a problem for moto riders!
I'm not sure it's more of a problem for riders than not using it (properly). Drivers abusing it as a merge / acceleration lane- yeah, that's a problem- but a problem for everyone, based on the frequent mess in front of the local Wally World.

An online dictionary tells me latin for 'motorcycle' is 'autobirota'; 'motorcyclists' is 'autobirotarius'. "Caveat autobirotarius" doesn't sound half bad, and seems like it's always a good idea.

dwoodward screwed with this post 02-05-2014 at 07:39 AM
dwoodward is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 08:50 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014