Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > The perfect line and other riding myths
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-02-2014, 04:04 PM   #61
Sp4rks
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 237
Well, this one time I went out to a motorcycle ranch for a little ride. It was club only, but this time they were having an "open ride" day, probably to get some members registered. I was a scrawny 13 year old, weighing in at 115lbs. I was using my father's 2007 CRF230L. Street legal dual sport, 267lbs and another important detail I'll get to later. So, we had a Poker run, and did an escargot. But that little Adventurer in me decided that watching bikes ride around in circles just didn't seem like fun.

I went off on my own, no cell, no nothing. Eventually, I got stuck in some mud. Now, these we some pretty crappy tires, the had some knobs, but weren't very dirt ready. Basically they turned to slicks in that mud. I eventually got them out. At this point, I didn't want to turn around. I pushed through until I got to a hill climb. I had to get up there anyway, so I double back a bit, and pinned in. I eventually ran out of horsepower and came crashing down. Bike stayed up there. I pulled it down, which took a lot out of me. I eventually got it lifted up. Hit the starter, and, nothing. I wasn't really worried up until right then. Because up until here, I was only limited by myself. But a dead battery(we eventually learned a few months later that the battery was fine, but the rectifier had always been bad)? Yeah, now I'm fucked. I found some nice Trials riders who help me get someone to pull my bike out. All's well that ends well.

Now, this is a typical lesson about a 13 year old going out on his own and fucking up. Lessons learned:
-Don't go out on your own(I sometimes break this)
-Keep a cell on you(I always keep my cell in a dry bag in my pack, worse case I try to get to higher ground to get a signal)
-Kickstarts are good(I now ride a 2002 KTM 125sx, kickstart only)
Old 02-03-2014, 02:51 PM   #62
Flo_Evans
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 420
A few years ago I got into about the worst trouble I have been in on a bike.

1st mistake: For some reason or another I got pissed at the people I was riding with and took off on my on.

2nd mistake: left insulation and waterproof jacket layer at camp.

3rd mistake: did a shit job of chain adjustment before the ride because everyone was waiting on me to start. Chain of course popped off, had no proper tools with me. Lucky to be able to pop it back on.

4th mistake: I only had an iPhone for a gps and didn't pre-load the maps for the area I was in. GPS on the iPhone also drains the battery quicker than anything. I had a charging cable but if my bike would of died I would of had no way to charge the phone.

5th mistake: instead of turning around when the trail I was riding evaporated I just kept going. Got turned around, fell a few times and could not find my way back to the trail. Of course I never put any waypoints in my GPS, so I was pretty much blind.

I eventually found a creek and followed that till it hit a road. At that point I was soaking wet and exhausted, the temp was dropping and hyperthermia was starting to set in. I got the bike back to camp just as everyone else was leaving and luckily got a ride in a truck. There is no way I could of ridden home safely in that state.

Watching the video now I made some pretty bad riding decisions on top of all that other stuff. Trying to stop mid-hill to disable ABS leading to a tip over, trying to get on the bike from the downhill side, trying to go off trail and bushwhack on a 650 in the 1st place.

Flo_Evans screwed with this post 02-03-2014 at 02:59 PM
Flo_Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 10:42 AM   #63
steelerider
Southafricanamerican

Oddometer: 797
Last year a deer decided to take me out in the Michaux state forest in PA.
Result - Broken collar bone, bruised lungs, busted 4 ribs, broken scapula, concussion - blah blah blah. There was no way I was picking my 520Lb GSW up.
Pulled out the trusty iPhone, had 2 bars of signal. Whew. Called 911, told the nice lady on the phone that there was no way in hell I was able to ride out, and that I needed help. 35 Mins later the rescue squad showed up. Lessons learned:
1: Stay calm. Stop. Breathe. Think. Act. In that order. Wise words from my old scuba instructor who was an ex navy seal.
2: Malke sure that your cell phone is charged, and you have a way to call for help. 35 Mins was a long time to wait for help, but I was able to get help. It would have been a long ass, painful walk out.
3: Carry water. I had my camelback.
4: If you're going off road - ride with someone. Dont go alone. Its not worth it.
5: Wear your F"n gear. My helmet saved my life, and my gear saved my skin and ass.
steelerider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 10:53 AM   #64
scottrnelson
Team Orange

Oddometer: 1,402
Quote:
Originally Posted by steelerider View Post
2: Make sure that your cell phone is charged, and you have a way to call for help.
The most interesting places in the Sierras have no cell coverage. When you're in some deep canyon you won't get a direct path to a cell tower. The cell phones work great up on the tops of the mountains, though.
Old 02-04-2014, 12:08 PM   #65
steelerider
Southafricanamerican

Oddometer: 797
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottrnelson View Post
The most interesting places in the Sierras have no cell coverage. When you're in some deep canyon you won't get a direct path to a cell tower. The cell phones work great up on the tops of the mountains, though.
Scott, If I were riding deep in the canyons, for sure I would have a PLB or a SPOT. Wouldnt leave home without it!
Good point though!
steelerider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 12:44 PM   #66
kbroderick
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 976
So if you didn't read the Death Valley report linked above, or if you didn't follow the link to the article about the tow operator, check this out:

http://www.trucktrend.com/features/c...g/viewall.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by Equipment List
Brutis--(above Image)1982 17-ton, Cummins diesel-powered 6x6 military recovery vehicle equipped with 20,000-pound hydraulic front winch, 45,000-pound rear winch, and 30,000-pound crane
Two 4WD wreckers
One 4WD flatbed
One Thiokol Snowcat
Freightliner four-axle, 90,000-pound-capacity wrecker for big rigs and pusher motorhomes
Freightliner three-axle recovery truck
163 0508 Towmonster12 Z
International wrecker for towing and motorhome recovery
Two heavy-duty 2WD wreckers
One medium-duty 2WD wrecker
One light-duty 4WD wrecker for pavement
One light-duty 4WD wrecker for off-road use
Peterbilt 2WD: Jerr-Dan
Freightliner tractor towing a Landall trailer with forward moving rear axles; used mostly to load motorhomes with wheel-bearing failures
International rollback three-car carrier
1989 GMC 4WD flatbed for off-road
4WD service truck
4WD tire service truck with bed-mounted tire-mounting machine and generator
Bobcat with bucket and rotary sweeper
Two 4WD ATVs
International Harvester bulldozer to pioneer roads for difficult recoveries
Tractor-trailer airbag righting system using low-pressure, high-volume heavy-duty rubber inflatable bags to raise a trailer onto its wheels
On the original subject, my brother and I took his Ford Bronco II up a forest road near our parents' place in Maine, on Christmas Eve. We'd been up the same road previously in my 2wd Toyota Pickup, but that was during the summer; at this point, the ground was snow-covered, but I had a new come-along to play with, should we need it.

Roughly 1.5-2 miles past the end of the maintained roadway, we decided that the sketchy bridge and sketchier hill climb beyond it were more than we wanted to deal with and turned around, having only just resorted to putting the truck into 4WD. While doing so, the vehicle spat out its coolant and refused to restart.

We walked out, as darkness was falling, and called for a ride from the first occupied building we found (roughly 2.5 miles from the rig).

I went back the next day with a friend (in his Suburban) to recover my box o' tools (which, given my lack of familiarity with the rig and the time at which it stopped working, had not proved very useful). Unfortunately, we were out there late enough in the day that attempting to tow out the Bronco didn't seem like a good risk, and a snowfall shortly after that point rendered it thoroughly stuck until spring.
kbroderick is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 12:51 PM   #67
PeterW
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,435
Don't forget the bike has a kill switch .... They start a lot better once you notice that.

(Doh !)

Pete
PeterW is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 01:40 PM   #68
AteamNM
Wonna Be ADVrider

Oddometer: 3,386
If anyone is so inclined to read a really good report about Big Beemer Bob, read this.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=817482

A great thread on a Texan over loaded on a big GS in NW New Mexico and how a SPOT was used. The thread takes a dive but a great primer on FFKKng up out in the bad lands.

I made a post (#32) in this thread that was a bit of a rant here.
http://advrider.com/forums/showpost.php?p=19367651&postcount=37
AteamNM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 05:42 PM   #69
Tinker1980
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 544
Only time I've really needed to go for rescue was one fine afternoon on my 1986 XL250R. I was following some ATV tire tracks around Goose Island.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Go...baed56bde8a91c

I was riding along the banks, and saw a spot where the tracks went across some sorta-dry looking mud. Not being that experienced a rider, I decided to take it nice and slow. And managed to get it buried up to the cylinder head. My 5'10" 130 pound self couldn't get it out of the mud, try as I might. No cell phone, no spot, but thankfully, this was not a plated road-legal bike - I tried to remove the bike until it started getting dark, but every time I pulled on part of it, I'd sink in mud up to my thighs. Ended up deciding to walk back to the truck. Dear old Dad and my brother and I loaded up and went back out there, with some ropes and flashlights. This is when I learned the trick called "Lay the bike down, drag it sideways, and see if you can get it out." Standing on tree limbs thrown into the mud helped too.

Now of course, I know that I should give it a bit more gas when seeing something like that. Or better yet, ride around it.
Tinker1980 is offline   Reply With Quote