Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > The perfect line and other riding myths
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-04-2014, 07:15 AM   #16
foxtrapper
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 630
Depends, depends, depends. We talking trying to load a sky high 4x4 or a lower 2wd truck? Is the bike a low slung cruiser that gets stuck tipping into the bed or a dirt bike with lots of clearance? Little 2x6 ramp or a huge and wide fold out thing? Up hill or down hill?

Then there's getting the bike back off. That's usually a lot more of an adventure.

As I've gotten older, I enjoy drama less and less. Which means I tend to use my trailer more and more. Big wide drop gate, low slung, so I can ride or walk anything up onto it, or back off of it, with ease.
foxtrapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 07:21 AM   #17
DualSportPirate
Adventurer

Oddometer: 16
I ride up on dirt bikes and atvs. I usually dont load my street bikes into the truck since I have a trailer with a ramp.

In the name of full disclosure though, I have had an ATV kick a ramp out on more than one occasion so I now ride sidesaddle. Makes for a quick Exit Stage Left when things dont go as planned.
DualSportPirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 08:00 AM   #18
Montague
UDF Adventurer

Oddometer: 652
Quote:
Originally Posted by DualSportPirate View Post
I ride up on dirt bikes and atvs. I usually dont load my street bikes into the truck since I have a trailer with a ramp.

In the name of full disclosure though, I have had an ATV kick a ramp out on more than one occasion so I now ride sidesaddle. Makes for a quick Exit Stage Left when things dont go as planned.
BTDT, now I secure the strap to trailer hitch, keeps the tension tight and downwards, should not kick out.

A Brit named Billy once said something silly; he so wrongly concluded that Ural deluded.
Montague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 08:10 AM   #19
gravityisnotmyfriend
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 989
Most of those fails were a result of the bike bottoming out when the front wheel is in the truck, the back wheel in on the ramp and the transition between the two hits the bike. The bike stops and with no where to put a foot, the bike and rider topple.
Old 02-04-2014, 08:16 AM   #20
urbanXJ
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,834
I rode up the ramp once, a skinny one about 8 inches wide, and I don;'t think I will ever do it again. The rubber just dosn't grab when yo uhit the breaks....and it's the stopping I worried about not the getting up there.

Then, of course when you get to the race track yo uhave three people tugging on your bike helping you get it out of the wheel chock...but darn it's really tight this time...eventually one of them will ask if the bike is still in gear.

Anyway, you should always wratchet strap your ramp to the truck, so it dosn't get kicked out.
Old 02-04-2014, 08:56 AM   #21
jmq3rd
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 224
I do a little of both. I only had an issue riding up once, on a DR650 with mud covered tires. Back wheel slid of the side halfway up. If tires and ramp are both dry, and the ramp is already in place when I pull up to the truck, I ride it up. If I have to get off the bike to get the ramp out, I push it up. At my house I can get the tailgate less than a foot off the ground. I just bounce the front wheel up with the dirt bike, and use 1/2 a folding ramp for the street bike.

I do have 2 fail stories, in addition to my getoff -

1 - My brother rode his V-Strom into the back of his F150 for several years (not that often though). First time into his new Tundra, he didn't get it stopped quick enough and broke the back window (which is one of the fancy roll-down ones).

2 - When I was younger my father used to stop at the car wash on the way home from dirt riding. We would jacknife the trailer, unload the one from the bed of the truck, then wash the bikes on the trailer, then the unloaded bike, then jacknife the trailer again and load up. He rode it up one and only one time at the carwash. Wet wooden ramp + soapy wet tires are not a good combo.

When pushing the bike up (or unloading), I put it in gear, engine off. Release the clutch halfway up and then move into the bed (or down to the ground), pull the clutch back in, and finish. No step needed. Then again, I'm kind of a big boy, so balancing a Kawasaki Versys with one hand while climbing into a truck isn't that big of a deal. If you only weigh 150lbs, it might not be quite as easy.
jmq3rd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 09:04 AM   #22
k-moe
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,200
Quote:
Originally Posted by gravityisnotmyfriend View Post
Most of those fails were a result of the bike bottoming out when the front wheel is in the truck, the back wheel in on the ramp and the transition between the two hits the bike. The bike stops and with no where to put a foot, the bike and rider topple.

Every one of those bikes would have cleared if nobody was sitting on them.

Quick tip: Park with the nose of your truck in the street, and use the slope of the driveway skirt to your advantage. In most cases you'll lose a foot of height at the truck bed, and reduce the ramp angle.

Better tip: Buy a trailer

k-moe screwed with this post 02-04-2014 at 12:28 PM
k-moe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 09:12 AM   #23
mongox
ARRRRGH!!!

Oddometer: 2,487
Trailer

"Those who dance are considered insane by those who can't hear the music" unknown
mongox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 09:23 AM   #24
crazyjeeper
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 377
I usually ride them up. I use a tri-fold ATV ramp that is nearly as wide as the tailgate. It is a bit short though so I have to put the back wheels of the pickup in the gutter to lessen the height. I tried the whole wood plank thing and it was probably the scariest thing I've ever done so I'll stick with my big wide ramp.
Old 02-04-2014, 09:33 AM   #25
gravityisnotmyfriend
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 989
You could do like this guy. If you keep it on one wheel, you wont bottom out. It'd take a bit more speed for a truck bed, though!

Old 02-04-2014, 09:34 AM   #26
gmk999
____ as a Rotax

Oddometer: 381
My worst nightmare.

Well may be not my "Worst" but I bumper carry anyway.

The few times that I have needed to load it in the truck I just picked it up a wheel at a time with a friend 420 lbs /2/2. Not so hard.

awesome vid
Old 02-04-2014, 11:19 AM   #27
Ceemack
Adventurer

Oddometer: 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by k-moe View Post

Every one of those bikes would have cleared if nobody was sitting on them.

Quick tip: Park with the nose fo your truck in the street, and use the slope of the driveway skirt to your advantage. In most cases you'll lose a foot of height at the truck bed, and reduce the ramp angle.

Better tip: Buy a trailer
Agreed...the driveway is your friend. The angle between the ramp and the bed won't be as steep.
Ceemack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 11:21 AM   #28
Offcamber
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,559
When I have to do it I find a hill I can back the truck up to and load the bike as level as possible....One ramp for the bike one ramp for me to walk along side it....
Old 02-04-2014, 11:42 AM   #29
Pantah
Red Sox Nation

Oddometer: 10,015
Good thread with lots of tips. I've always towed a trailer, which is the easiest solution (particularly with a ramp door). But recently I bought a F150 and hauled a couple bikes to my place in AZ. I was wondering how I was going to get the Ducati out by myself. I have an 8 foot aluminum folding ramp that is 18 inches wide. It's a long step off the tailgate too, so I would need something for a step.

It turned out no biggie using the slope of the driveway with the rear wheels in the gutter. Probably would need help re-loading, though. I have a 300lb dual sport that I'd like to try riding it up, but I could probably roll it up myself if I can find a slope to use.

I'd buy another trailer, but then I'd have to store it somewhere. Hopefully the ramp will suffice.
Pantah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 11:56 AM   #30
flei
queasy rider

Oddometer: 512
ditto...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Offcamber View Post
When I have to do it I find a hill I can back the truck up to and load the bike as level as possible....One ramp for the bike one ramp for me to walk along side it....
Just like he said. As level as possible and 2 ramps. Tho I can ride my quad on and off with never a problem, just the thought of doing it on my F650GS shrinks my nads!