ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > The perfect line and other riding myths
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 02-04-2014, 07:41 AM   #46
hippiebrian
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jun 2012
Location: Long Beach, Ca.
Oddometer: 2,895
Nothing against older bikes for a long trip. I am of the opinion that the bike you own is the greatest bike made. Then there's affordability. Older bikes can be had more cheaply.

That said, it is MY preference, not that it should be anyone else's, that newer bikes are better for me for longer trips. And I can afford them. I travel these days on a new Bonnie, which I consider the best of both worlds. A ride similar to (not exactly like) a classic with modern reliability and maintenance intervals.
hippiebrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 09:19 AM   #47
Pecha72
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: May 2008
Location: Helsinki, Finland
Oddometer: 3,547
Quote:
Originally Posted by randyo View Post
both the SV and V-strom were ridden in the same environment, so I am comparing apples to apples
ok yes, so your experience that is carbs work better in highly corrosive winter riding conditions.

Mine is, that FI is just as reliable for more or less everything else, gives better mpg, and is easier to deal with, if you ride in high altitudes.
__________________
Countries ridden • FIN • SWE • NOR • DK • EE • LV • LT • POL • SK • HU • RO • BG • GR • IT • AT • DE • CZ • CH • SMR • LIE • NL • BE • FR • AND • ES • GBR • LUX • SI • HR • BIH • SRB • MK • TR • IR • PAK • IND • TH • KH • LA • MY • ID • AUS • CR • USA • ZA • LS • SWZ • MZ • NA • BW • ZM • ZW
Pecha72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 09:36 AM   #48
James Adams
Misplaced
 
James Adams's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2006
Location: Metromess
Oddometer: 8,728
Quote:
Originally Posted by randyo View Post
both the SV and V-strom were ridden in the same environment, so I am comparing apples to apples
No, you're comparing an apple to a lemon.
James Adams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 12:18 PM   #49
Timbatrader
n00b
 
Joined: Mar 2012
Location: Pakihi Valley BOP New Zealand
Oddometer: 3
gone back to an old school bike after problems with tech

I have both an R1150RT and a R100GSPD I’ve had the RT from new and have abandoned it in favor of the GS not sure whether it is an old verses new thing or just that BMW have lost their way. The engineers no longer run the place instead Accountants Marketing gurus and stylist make the calls.
Issues that lead me to this conclusion.
Without a fully charged battery that is less than a year old the bike won’t start
It is not possible to get to the battery to charge it, change or jump-start it, without removing all fairings fuel tank etc.
If you leave the bike without using it and without connecting to a battery charger for more than a couple of weeks you are up for a strip down again it doesn’t seem possible to disconnect the battery when not using it and that little clock must use a hell of a lot of juice.
Another problem was on the 1150RT’s they had power assisted ABS brakes they gave me heaps of problems while under warranty which they fixed OK but after the warranty finshed the quoted price to fix was more than the bike is worth so that’s why I am now riding an old R100 it might breakdown more often but when it does I can see what the problem is and generally any small town mechanic can get me going again
Timbatrader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 12:35 PM   #50
One Less Harley
OH.THAT'S GONNA HURT
 
One Less Harley's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2006
Location: Bowling Green, Ky
Oddometer: 4,639
I prefer the KISS approach to bikes...the old airheads fill the bill. New bike manufacturers (especially NEW BMW"S!!) can't understand the principle remove the KI and change the "S" 's to $$'s.

would you rather take a 30 year old Oilhead or Airhead on a round the world journey???






The More They Overthink the Plumbing
__________________
2004 BMW R1150RS
1984 BMW R80G/S
(wrenching index)
2003 Suzuki DRZ 400S (TAT Prep)
One More DRZ does the TAT (Ride Report)


One Less Harley screwed with this post 02-04-2014 at 12:47 PM
One Less Harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 01:05 PM   #51
_cy_
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Sep 2011
Location: Tulsa, Oklahoma
Oddometer: 5,602
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stan_R80/7 View Post
If a recently built, high quality, older technology bike could be found I expect it would be reliable. However, I don't think they would stay in business long (although Ural seems to keep going) with the improvements from modern technology applied to increase performance and reduce maintenance.

Older technology requires more maintenance. One of the main 'selling points' of modern technology, aside from little deterioration and neglect, is the reduced adjustments and tinkering required accompanied with improved performance. Hence, why people want modern.

Taking an older motorcycle on a longer trip can be an adventure in itself. Taking a new motorcycle on the same trip makes for a different journey. But, if the trip is really all about the journey and not whether the destination is reached, then it's up to the rider to decide what is best. But, to answer the original question, either technology will work and can be reliable but finding older technology in good condition is not easy.
spot on .. yes older airheads like R80G/S can be dead reliable. but the catch is finding one and/or putting back in prime condition.

there are NO subsides for low miles .. starting with a worn out airhead will net you out same or more troubles as a brand new BMW.

totally lucked in on both my airheads ... R90S found dead with 7,300 miles .. R80G/S found with a frame off restoration by Beemerguru, which is essentially like starting with a new bike.

a lot of folks would rather find a high mileage airhead that's been maintained vs a dead low miles airhead. IMHO it's much easier to deal with small issues like replacing all seals on dead low mileage airheads vs dealing with major issues like overhauling engine/transmission with high miles airheads.

if achieving an older bike reliable enough to ride anywhere is the goal ... IMHO there are no substitutes for low miles.

new bikes have entirely different issues .. it's usually a binary situation .. either zero problems or big ones. if/when problems do come up on new bikes .. they usually are not minor. for instance dealing with ABS problems on newer BMW .. F8 not having an anti-knock sensor combined with bad fuel, resulting in a destroyed engine. fuel injection are pretty darn reliable until problems do show. like clogged fuel filters and/or bad fuel injection pump. problems with failed rectifier/regulator and/or stators, failed non serviceable final drives, failed non serviceable wheel bearings, etc. etc.

it's not that newer bikes have no service issues .. they are just different.

1981 R80G/S after frame off restoration by Beemerguru



_cy_ screwed with this post 02-04-2014 at 01:15 PM
_cy_ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 01:09 PM   #52
Gripsteruser
Service Monkey
 
Joined: Jul 2013
Location: N. Colo
Oddometer: 664
I've not been stranded by any motorcycle (yet?).
I've been left stranded by a Euro-sedan whose fuel pump melted (alcohol in the fuel said the Dealer - try to avoid it. yeah, right.). Said fuel pump is not accessible easily for repair. So it had to be towed.

My old Jeep was a nightmare of vacuum lines and carbureted but I could fix it roadside or mountainside. A fuel pump swap was $30/30 minutes/2 hose clamps/2 1/2 in bolts.

Nowadays I tend to just count the connectors. More connectors = more trouble in the long run because of more complexity.

Carbs are never optimum. But when they fail, they can still be persuaded to work. Compare to ECU controlled, O2 sensor feedback, high pressure fuel pumped electric injection. Runs great when new. not so good later with corroded connectors or poor power...


(I'm a manufacturing EE now working as a Reliability Engineer. Connectors are the most evil electrical component. Fewer is better.)

Oh - and don't forget that new bikes have UNDISCOVERED issues lurking. I really hate blazing THOSE trails.....

Gripsteruser screwed with this post 02-04-2014 at 01:13 PM Reason: undiscovered issues
Gripsteruser is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 01:12 PM   #53
scootrboi
Beastly Adventurer
 
scootrboi's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2011
Location: Vermont
Oddometer: 1,363
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timbatrader View Post
I have both an R1150RT and a R100GSPD I’ve had the RT from new and have abandoned it in favor of the GS not sure whether it is an old verses new thing or just that BMW have lost their way. The engineers no longer run the place instead Accountants Marketing gurus and stylist make the calls.
Issues that lead me to this conclusion.
Without a fully charged battery that is less than a year old the bike won’t start
It is not possible to get to the battery to charge it, change or jump-start it, without removing all fairings fuel tank etc.
If you leave the bike without using it and without connecting to a battery charger for more than a couple of weeks you are up for a strip down again it doesn’t seem possible to disconnect the battery when not using it and that little clock must use a hell of a lot of juice.
Another problem was on the 1150RT’s they had power assisted ABS brakes they gave me heaps of problems while under warranty which they fixed OK but after the warranty finshed the quoted price to fix was more than the bike is worth so that’s why I am now riding an old R100 it might breakdown more often but when it does I can see what the problem is and generally any small town mechanic can get me going again
Kind of like hubris. The notion that a new bike is so well designed that it can't break down on a long trip. This may have been BMW's stock in trade from way back though, the early BMW tourers were often the choice of long distant riders who were counting on the most reliable machine available. I think we choose a path in our motorcycle careers, whether to survive through best information and money or familiarity and mechanical experience. I went to a BMW riders' breakfast a few years ago, and was surrounded by a personable group of dedicated riders on exquisite machines who were taken aback by the comprehensive tool kit they saw when I opened the seat of my bike to show the engine layout. It must be true that on some modern bikes every detail is so well worked out that the bike will run flawlessly till the next appt with the shop. Hard to imagine. A recent roadside repair for me was a wire that broke off a 47 year old condensor. A few years before that a 17 year old retrofit electronic ignition module went bad and I switched back to the old points system. A main jet retainer that had become slightly misaligned and stopped the bike completely had me searching for over an hour. A loose ground wire, well that's pretty easy! Stuff like that crops up now and then. To me these things don't indicate an unreliable or poorly designed bike, but to someone who can't figure them out, that is the end of the day's ride.
__________________
42 years on a Heinkel Tourist
scootrboi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 01:22 PM   #54
JohnCW
Studly Adventurer
 
Joined: Dec 2013
Location: Sydney, Australia
Oddometer: 973
Don't confuse new/old technology, and a low/high mileage bikes.

New/old technology - The more complicated you make something and the less 'mature' the technology, generally the more problems you have. So on a technology comparison, since say the mid 1980's no difference in reliability. A battery failure is just as likely to happen regardless of the technology. Age and lack of maintenance will decide its fate. If you did have to pick one, I'd say the simpler mature technology is marginally more reliable.

High/low mileage. Is there any dispute that a low mileage well maintained bike of any technology is likely to more reliable that a high mileage poorly maintained bike? A higher mileage well maintained bike should perform without any problem.

If there has been a technology improvement that has made a significant difference in terms of reliability to bikes from say the mid 1980's like to know what it was, as I can't immediately think of one. Not performance, reliability.
JohnCW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 01:34 PM   #55
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!
 
JimVonBaden's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2005
Location: Alexandria, VA
Oddometer: 49,385
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnCW View Post
Don't confuse new/old technology, and a low/high mileage bikes.

New/old technology - The more complicated you make something and the less 'mature' the technology, generally the more problems you have. So on a technology comparison, since say the mid 1980's no difference in reliability. A battery failure is just as likely to happen regardless of the technology. Age and lack of maintenance will decide its fate. If you did have to pick one, I'd say the simpler mature technology is marginally more reliable.

High/low mileage. Is there any dispute that a low mileage well maintained bike of any technology is likely to more reliable that a high mileage poorly maintained bike? A higher mileage well maintained bike should perform without any problem.

If there has been a technology improvement that has made a significant difference in terms of reliability to bikes from say the mid 1980's like to know what it was, as I can't immediately think of one. Not performance, reliability.
Some will dispute this, but miles per issue fuel injection is miles above carbs for lack of issues.

I am not saying easier to fix on the road, just pure reliability. Performance is just a bonus.

There are a lot of people tossing out miles, repairability and a host of other criteria, but new versus old, issue per mile, there is no doubt at all the modern bikes are more reliable by far.

Go ahead and argue it if you like by tossing out what you can and can't repair on the side of the road, BMW V. Japanese or any other criteria, but as the title says, "new versus old", new technology wins every time.
JimVonBaden is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 01:51 PM   #56
JerryH
Vintage Rider
 
JerryH's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2009
Location: Chandler, AZ
Oddometer: 4,803
Newer bikes may last for more miles, but you had better put those miles on in a hurry. New technology does not hold up over time, and it is not designed to be kept going over a long period of time. Old bikes can be kept going virtually forever, depending on whether parts are available, but newer bikes become too expensive to be worth fixing in a fairly short time. A carb will last a lifetime. A FI ECU, which costs more than a new carb, has a fairly short lifetime when measured in years, and will probably no longer be available if you need a new one 20 years from now. New bikes are designed to be disposable and recycleable. Rather than fix them after a certain point, you are just supposed to replace them. Honda has started setting the lifespan of their new bikes at 10 years, after that they will no longer work on them or sell you parts for them. There is a definite growing trend in this direction.
__________________
I won't spend more on a bike than I think it's worth, but if it's a good deal, I don't seem to have a problem buying bikes I don't need.
2002 Vulcan 750, 2013 Royal Enfield B5
2001 XT225, 2009 Genuine Stella
1980 Puch moped
JerryH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 01:56 PM   #57
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!
 
JimVonBaden's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2005
Location: Alexandria, VA
Oddometer: 49,385
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimVonBaden View Post
Some will dispute this, but miles per issue fuel injection is miles above carbs for lack of issues.

I am not saying easier to fix on the road, just pure reliability. Performance is just a bonus.

There are a lot of people tossing out miles, repairability and a host of other criteria, but new versus old, issue per mile, there is no doubt at all the modern bikes are more reliable by far.

Go ahead and argue it if you like by tossing out what you can and can't repair on the side of the road, BMW V. Japanese or any other criteria, but as the title says, "new versus old", new technology wins every time.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryH View Post
Newer bikes may last for more miles, but you had better put those miles on in a hurry. New technology does not hold up over time, and it is not designed to be kept going over a long period of time. Old bikes can be kept going virtually forever, depending on whether parts are available, but newer bikes become too expensive to be worth fixing in a fairly short time. A carb will last a lifetime. A FI ECU, which costs more than a new carb, has a fairly short lifetime when measured in years, and will probably no longer be available if you need a new one 20 years from now. New bikes are designed to be disposable and recycleable. Rather than fix them after a certain point, you are just supposed to replace them. Honda has started setting the lifespan of their new bikes at 10 years, after that they will no longer work on them or sell you parts for them. There is a definite growing trend in this direction.
Like I said!
JimVonBaden is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 02:00 PM   #58
_cy_
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Sep 2011
Location: Tulsa, Oklahoma
Oddometer: 5,602
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimVonBaden View Post
Some will dispute this, but miles per issue fuel injection is miles above carbs for lack of issues.

I am not saying easier to fix on the road, just pure reliability. Performance is just a bonus.

There are a lot of people tossing out miles, repairability and a host of other criteria, but new versus old, issue per mile, there is no doubt at all the modern bikes are more reliable by far.

Go ahead and argue it if you like by tossing out what you can and can't repair on the side of the road, BMW V. Japanese or any other criteria, but as the title says, "new versus old", new technology wins every time.
what's missing in above assessment is COST ... let's assume you are correct in reliability per miles delivered for FI vs carb bikes. for most folks who are not technically astute as your self costs becomes a real factor in keeping that newer BMW running.

for instance if someone has ABS issues ... costs to fix at dealer could exceed value of BMW motorcycle. if it happened to me fix would be low cost as I'd dive into circuit board and come up with a fix. other option is to send to a ABS board specialist for repair at low costs.

same thing that's happened to brand new cars has happened to motorcycles. going to electric driven sensors requiring special code readers to diagnose. even someone technically astute has no choice but to visit dealership. unless someone is willing to make the investment for BMW specific electronic tools.

above translates into higher costs of ownership for most folks. look at what's happened with all the final drive failures on R1200...

_cy_ screwed with this post 02-04-2014 at 02:11 PM
_cy_ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 02:02 PM   #59
eakins
Butler Maps
 
eakins's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2002
Location: Fort Collins, Colorado
Oddometer: 17,682
sell both BMWs and buy a Super Tenere, they don't break & go most anywhere.
& keep the TE.
__________________
Butler Maps - motorcycle maps for riders by riders -
Alaska
AZ map COBDR AZBDR IDBDR South East map
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=598717
Butler Maps website:
http://www.butlermaps.com
eakins is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 02:06 PM   #60
eakins
Butler Maps
 
eakins's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2002
Location: Fort Collins, Colorado
Oddometer: 17,682
I'd take a DR650 on a world journey.
Most of the world is dirt, speeds are 45 mph & people ride cheap & simple 125cc bikes.
Americans are just ignorant of these facts because they have credit to buy beyond their means.

Quote:
Originally Posted by One Less Harley View Post
I prefer the KISS approach to bikes...the old airheads fill the bill. New bike manufacturers (especially NEW BMW"S!!) can't understand the principle remove the KI and change the "S" 's to $$'s.

would you rather take a 30 year old Oilhead or Airhead on a round the world journey???


__________________
Butler Maps - motorcycle maps for riders by riders -
Alaska
AZ map COBDR AZBDR IDBDR South East map
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=598717
Butler Maps website:
http://www.butlermaps.com
eakins is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 08:19 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014