Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-04-2014, 08:34 AM   #31
hippiebrian
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,060
Quote:
Originally Posted by k-moe View Post
That is nothing like what the OP is claiming. He's after comfort, not weight loss.
I see. I misunderstood his statement on lightening his bars. I never heard of lightening bars to reduce vibrations. Interesting, however I've never had a problem with the weights in, so I'd never think to remove them.
hippiebrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 10:06 AM   #32
jmq3rd
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 231
Like somebody else said, bar end weights don't eliminate vibrations, they just change them to a higher or lower frequency, and also change what RPM range they are most noticeable at.

People are sensitive to different kinds of vibrations - so even though the bar end weights may work perfectly for most riders to reduce the discomfort caused by vibration, they may not make any difference to some riders who just don't notice the vibration in the first place. And then there are those who will find the "modified" vibrations provided by the bar end weights to be MORE uncomfortable than the vibrations without them.

'Tis not the science of cylindrical shapes which can be propelled through the atmosphere by a combustible fuel.
jmq3rd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 11:15 AM   #33
erkmania
Still Adventuring

Oddometer: 951
Interesting. I also thought that the bar weights were meant to change how a wobbling front end behaves. I understood more weight would reduce the frequency so the bars didn't become an uncontrollable blur.

2011 BMW R1200GS, 2004 KTM 950, 1996 ATK 605 ESDS
erkmania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 11:28 AM   #34
SgtDuster
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,148
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pantah View Post
Exactly how does one "shift the resonance point of the bars to some other point of the operating range"?

The guy asked a question and you invent some sort of scientific response for personal effect, yet useless to your audience.

Too many people like you on this site.
Funny, I was about to say the same thing about you...

Sorry but YOU are not the "audience". Maybe part of it but it's not because you can't understand simple "science" (well vulgarized by the way) that we can't understand it ourselves. I honestly am pretty sure it wasn't useless at all and highly "digestible" by a lot of forum members.
Old 02-04-2014, 11:42 AM   #35
Luke
GPoET&P

Oddometer: 4,115
Quote:
Originally Posted by docwyte View Post
Bar end weights and anti vibe inserts made a huge difference on my KTM 640 Adv.
I've got a pound of lead on each end of my 640's bars. It makes the vibes a bit worse at idle but they vanish above 3k.

So to answer the OP, whether you want more or less weight is going to depend on the bike and probably a bunch of other things like the kind of bars, bar mounts, etc.
Luke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 11:59 AM   #36
Luke
GPoET&P

Oddometer: 4,115
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pantah View Post
Exactly how does one "shift the resonance point of the bars to some other point of the operating range"?

The guy asked a question and you invent some sort of scientific response for personal effect, yet useless to your audience.

Too many people like you on this site.

To change the resonance point, change either the mass of the bars or their stiffness. The easiest way to reduce the stiffness is to add rubber mounting.

See the section on mass-spring-damper in this article:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Damping

Increasing the mass reduces the natural frequency (aka reasonant frequency) however it also reduces the damping factor so you end up increasing the vibrations at the natural frequency.

To make the handlebars smoother, first try to make sure that the natural frequency of the bars isn't the same as the frequency of engine vibrations. Failing that, try to make the damping factor high so you don't get really bad vibrations at that natural frequency.

Explained another way:

you want to be at either the right or the left of these curves. Failing that, you want to be on one of the lower curves rather than a higher one.
Luke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 06:27 PM   #37
joexr
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,773
Quote:
Originally Posted by erkmania View Post
Interesting. I also thought that the bar weights were meant to change how a wobbling front end behaves. I understood more weight would reduce the frequency so the bars didn't become an uncontrollable blur.
Is that your professional opinion?
joexr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 07:45 AM   #38
markk53
jack of all trades...

Oddometer: 8,152
Quote:
Originally Posted by AKDuc View Post
For me it's at least 5, most with after-market bars and all with engine/exhaust mods.

Those bikes include a '07 KLR with Moose Racing bars w/o any guards, '05 Ducati Monster S4R w/trimmed stock bars, and the following 3 bikes with the Heli brand bars: '98 Ducati 748, '00 Ducati 996, and a '05 Triumph Daytona 955. They've all been buzz free thru the entire rpm range for many years/miles.

Have fun, Mark H.

So, what is true for 5 is true for all and makes all BS? Not getting it. Seems a manufacturer wouldn't bother if they didn't find use in it, since it does cost more.

I will not disagree with your results though for your situations. But again 5 for you makes it universally true? If that's the case I'm thinking anything more than an SR500 is a waste since I've had a couple and find them sufficient... lame (started as a typo, but made a lot of sense) logic.

Mark - klx678
95 KLX650C w/Vulcan piston bigbore, Now an 09 KLX250S, selling my 90 Zephyr 550
markk53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 08:14 AM   #39
bikeridermark
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,222
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnone View Post
One bike was all he needed to prove his point.
He doesn't scuff his new tires in either.

I rode a friend's Versys recently without the bar ends on. WOW! It was bad.
Every bike, every state of tune can make a difference.
That's my professional opinion, BTW.
bikeridermark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 09:05 AM   #40
erkmania
Still Adventuring

Oddometer: 951
Quote:
Originally Posted by joexr View Post
Is that your professional opinion?
You're attention is flattering.

2011 BMW R1200GS, 2004 KTM 950, 1996 ATK 605 ESDS
erkmania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 03:24 AM   #41
royal
Don't Follow

Oddometer: 629
Had a 2010 Concours C-14. Nice bike but holding onto the grips was like holding onto a bag of bees.

Took it in twice to make sure all was sync'd properly (It was). Tried it without bar weights and with extra heavy bar weights. No real difference.

Bottom line, inline 4's create high frequency vibes. And it drove me nuts. So much so I sold the bike and swore off inline 4's.

Bought a 2012 Harley Electra Glide. Everyone and their mother will tell you how much these bikes vibrate. BUT......it is low frequency vibes. And therein lies the big difference. High frequency vibes...BAD. Low frequency vibes...almost pleasant. And Harley touring bikes have no bar weights.

From here on out, it's only twins, and V-4s for me. I can't risk another expensive mistake with an inline 4. I have to admit that I haven't tried a triple yet. Anyone want to chime in on those ?
Old 02-09-2014, 10:12 AM   #42
markk53
jack of all trades...

Oddometer: 8,152
Quote:
Originally Posted by royal View Post
Had a 2010 Concours C-14. Nice bike but holding onto the grips was like holding onto a bag of bees.

Took it in twice to make sure all was sync'd properly (It was). Tried it without bar weights and with extra heavy bar weights. No real difference.

Bottom line, inline 4's create high frequency vibes. And it drove me nuts. So much so I sold the bike and swore off inline 4's.

Bought a 2012 Harley Electra Glide. Everyone and their mother will tell you how much these bikes vibrate. BUT......it is low frequency vibes. And therein lies the big difference. High frequency vibes...BAD. Low frequency vibes...almost pleasant. And Harley touring bikes have no bar weights.

From here on out, it's only twins, and V-4s for me. I can't risk another expensive mistake with an inline 4. I have to admit that I haven't tried a triple yet. Anyone want to chime in on those ?
Which one stirred the martinis best in the cup holders?

Mark - klx678
95 KLX650C w/Vulcan piston bigbore, Now an 09 KLX250S, selling my 90 Zephyr 550
markk53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 05:32 PM   #43
tkent02
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,227
Quote:

And yet other inline fours are smooth as a baby's ass.
tkent02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 11:19 AM   #44
brianwheelies
Iron toocus

Oddometer: 3,473
Quote:

Triples are very smooth and make the best noises!
brianwheelies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 11:25 AM   #45
MotoMind
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,269
1LB bar end weights just plain work. I've used them on a long series of V-twins and singles, and they all benefit immensely.

http://www.manicsalamander.com/
MotoMind is offline   Reply With Quote