User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-21-2014, 07:25 AM   #1
iyeager OP
I lost my avatar...

Oddometer: 2,783
My first supermoto track time.

Posted this in regional, but thought it might make more sense here...

I rode my first supermoto bike on a track last Friday. I took the SoCal Supermoto class, and I gotta say, it was awesome. I'm looking around for a used DRZ400 right now to keep doing this on a regular basis. I did have a lot of trouble getting my mind to think that moving to the outside of the bike was the proper way to take a corner so I focused mainly on staying slow and getting the form right. I made some good headway, I thought, and felt a lot more comfortable getting to the right side of the bike and brought some speed into and out of the corners. I'm also a ton more comfortable about the feel of a bike just moving around underneath me non-stop.

A little review of the class. This was hands down the most easy-going and relaxed track school I have ever been to. Brian is super knowledgeable about supermoto and the way to get faster and has a way of speaking in a manner that helps you understand it in a few different ways. I had a great time and I can't imagine a better way to spend $200. Your money gets you the class, the bike, and all the track time you could ever want. I've done lots of track days and I know I have never had as much track time with any of them as I did here. It seems like it could go either way though as if there's a lot of karts there you could be sharing time with a number of other groups. You also get a ton of awesome pictures, available through Smugmug. I would highly recommend this to anyone even vaguely interested in blowing a day on a good time.

Here's a link to the two different galleries from that day;
Pic page One : Pic page Two : and a link to his website : Socal Supermoto.

Edit: In case you can't tell by my name on the leathers, I'm in the red and white AGV's with the blue and white helmet on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iyeager
...if I can get time off from the soulless great machine.
iyeager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 12:33 PM   #2
whitham_wannabe
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 926
This is funny, because I flew down and did the same class on Sunday!

I agree totally with what you say - tonne of fun, laid back, doesn't care too much if you crash and all the track time you can handle. It being a Sunday, I imagine we had a lot more kart sessions than you did on Friday, but by the end of the day it was just two of us left circulating, everyone else was moto'd out.

Man, was I sore the next day, though ...

Travels With Bruce : More Travels With Bruce
whitham_wannabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 07:18 PM   #3
iyeager OP
I lost my avatar...

Oddometer: 2,783
Quote:
Originally Posted by whitham_wannabe View Post
Man, was I sore the next day, though ...
Thighs?

-Ian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iyeager
...if I can get time off from the soulless great machine.
iyeager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 09:52 PM   #4
whitham_wannabe
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 926
Everything - we had hit the dirt track the day before on a full fat DRZ (lights, mirrors and all), after hitting the Captain Morgan way too hard the night before that, so all around I was suffering.

I just wish there was more SM to do up around here ... the 'berg would be getting a makeover.

Travels With Bruce : More Travels With Bruce
whitham_wannabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 07:14 AM   #5
Gregulator
Loves the dirt

Oddometer: 231
I just got a WR250R and a pair of SM rims are glittering in its future. I haven't had a chance to look deeply yet but I don't think we are too limited, Evergreen Speedway over in Monroe has supermoto (and motocross!) and there have got to be more around.
Gregulator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 07:03 PM   #6
Chuckracer
Jerkus Maximus

Oddometer: 7,305
http://www.supermotojunkie.com/forum...upermoto-Forum

Chuckracer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 05:37 PM   #7
Nickcamera
Adventurer

Oddometer: 62
Not sure where to post this but I can across a series of motorcycle books (think modern day Hardy Boys but on Bikes) for young adults that's awesome.
I'm not selling anything just thought you guys should know.
check out the website http://www.mickwade.com/
Nickcamera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 07:57 PM   #8
bondbmw
Adventurer

Oddometer: 60
W

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitham_wannabe View Post
Everything - we had hit the dirt track the day before on a full fat DRZ (lights, mirrors and all), after hitting the Captain Morgan way too hard the night before that, so all around I was suffering.

I just wish there was more SM to do up around here ... the 'berg would be getting a makeover.
You callin' my bike fat?