User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-24-2014, 05:44 PM   #1
Chickengrease OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 80
GNCC goes AMA

Too good to be true I guess. GNCC wasn't having enough at gate some years back because people didn't want a one off membership. Now with record gate lineups, they're not worried about that. I quit when they went to $49 because no one could tell me where the added money needed to go. I requested the magazine publish the salaries of the employees particularly the lobbyists. Didn't get a response. Has anyone else been to the Taj Mahal in Pinkerton? You have to cross a moat to get to the place! I guess in Indiana, IXCR is the only game in town for a boycott AMA guy like me.
Chickengrease is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 06:06 PM   #2
DruncleWill
CRASH TESTED

Oddometer: 269
This is interesting. Interesting on many different levels...
DruncleWill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 08:15 PM   #3
bigborefan
Making new friends

Oddometer: 1,350
CG, I feel your pain brother.

I moved to IL from OK in 2002. AMA was non existent in OK. I got a rude awakening in District 17. Had to buy an AMA card plus a district card. For me, it wasn't so much the money as I just didn't see what I was getting. District 17 Hare Scrambles seemed like a disorganized train wreak to me. Inconsistent starting procedures, different classes from race to race. I just didn't see the value for the extra money. Why join this sanctioning body just to have each race promoter do their own thing?

I know us Okies are looked upon as some hillbillies, but the off road club in OK, OCCRA, put on awesome events compared to District 17. We had five officers and probably at least four of those five officers were at each event. We had the same starter. same scoring folks, etc.

And TCCRA in TX, they put on good events as well. They were not AMA when I was riding them.

Women, er, women sense my power, and they seek the life essence. I do not avoid women, Mandrake...but I do deny them my essence
bigborefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 03:39 AM   #4
Chickengrease OP
Adventurer

District 15 here hasn't even had a Hare Scramble arm the past couple years! Now I hear they combined with Michigan in D14. I asked a guy at Culver one time what the AMA did for them and his response was, "Not much, insurance I guess."

I've been having a good time at IXCR races:

http://www.ixcr.com/joomla2013/

No membership fees like Red Bud and some of their properties are awesome.
Old 01-25-2014, 09:18 AM   #5
Hohmie
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 404
The ins. part is huge, safety in numbers, AMA qualifier events, AMA motow if you ride street bikes, fighting the use of ethonal fuel in motorcycles, fighting discrimination from health ins. companies against motorcyclist.

A small list of current problems that motorcyclist are dealing with that the AMA is helping with.
Hohmie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 10:29 AM   #6
GalacticGS
1200 GS Rider

Oddometer: 2,066
Although probably not a perfect run organization, the AMA does fight for motorcyclist's rights. The cost of membership is completely negligible in my overall motorcycling budget. So I'm a member, and will continue to be.

Some districts are better run than others, and some definitely have more events than others. 30+ years ago, I was an active D37 desert rider, but in the past few years the only AMA events I've ridden have been a couple of LAB2V dual sport rides.

I still regard the small membership fee a bargain to have an organization promoting the rights of motorcyclists. And I like being informed of issues detrimental to those rights so I can send off a letter to my appropriate government representatives.
"Speak to me of summer, long winters longer than time can remember;
Setting up of other roads, travel on in old accustomed ways."
GalacticGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 01:55 PM   #7
Chickengrease OP
Adventurer

I was a member for ten years, no problem. But when they raised the price I asked why and didn't get a response. It's supposed to be non profit--I wanted to know how much Dingman and the lobbyists were getting paid. Man, if the corporate office is any indication of the association's fiscal standing, then members should have gotten a rebate, not an increase. It's like Bank Of America's CEO getting $12M and people are ok with that.
Follow the money: GNCC was losing riders so they quit AMA. Now the gates are full, so they hook up again and get a kickback for new members.
Old 01-25-2014, 02:07 PM   #8
Holeshot
Adventurer

Oddometer: 55
Ixcr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chickengrease View Post
Too good to be true I guess. GNCC wasn't having enough at gate some years back because people didn't want a one off membership. Now with record gate lineups, they're not worried about that. I quit when they went to $49 because no one could tell me where the added money needed to go. I requested the magazine publish the salaries of the employees particularly the lobbyists. Didn't get a response. Has anyone else been to the Taj Mahal in Pinkerton? You have to cross a moat to get to the place! I guess in Indiana, IXCR is the only game in town for a boycott AMA guy like me.
Although I don't completely agree with your thoughts about the AMA, I checked out some of the IXCR race videos and it looks like a good series.
Holeshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 03:50 PM   #9
mrxinpa
Just Get Out and Ride !!!

Oddometer: 1,488
I personally think this is a win win for both the AMA and GNCC.

The debate as to your personal take on the validity of the AMA would be a good place to start another thread.
80 CB900 Custom(Restoring)
mrxinpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 03:50 PM   #10
bikerfish
flyfishandride

Oddometer: 1,431
just hope they don't do to GNCC what they did to pro roadracing!! they F-n killed it!!!!
bikerfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 04:44 PM   #11
Rd650
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 216
^ I agree with bikerfish.
Rd650 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 05:43 AM   #12
Tbone
off-ramp slayer

Oddometer: 4,243
They have been AMA in the past but just dropped it in 2012.
Tbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 09:42 AM   #13
mrxinpa
Just Get Out and Ride !!!

Oddometer: 1,488
I'm sure you all noticed that Johnny Campbell has also decided to drop the SCORE Off Road Racing Series and instead focus a team effort that will be full time competing in the GNCC Circuit. Lots of things sturring in the motorcycle racing world these days and the AMA wants to get in on it.

Look at the amount of revenue the Dakar Rally brings into South America these past few years. Now this year for the first time we have 3~4 True Rally's in North America. The natural progression for riders coming up thru the ages will need to be goverened by one sanctioning body. The AMA foots that bill in the US. There are many fractions of very organized clubs and such around the country that have no affiliation with the AMA. However, if you take a poll of those folks competing at those same events I would bet that the overwhelming majority of them are still card carrying members of the AMA.
80 CB900 Custom(Restoring)
mrxinpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 07:51 PM   #14
p3ga
Rounding Error

Oddometer: 937
The AMA is not perfect, but it's a helluva lot better & more active than it was in the past, especially acting as a coordinated voice to the governmental agencies & politicians.

Now a Charter Life member, I'm looking at the yearly membership as a small tiding so that my son will {hopefully} have the same opportunities to ride that I've had over the last 30+ years. Maybe someday, even his kids too, although I hope that's a long way off - he's 14 and a seven year AMA member, which he pays for out of pocket.

There's a lot of people & groups out there that would love to banish motorcycles and our sport into the abyss; only the AMA and a few others are making our collective case known.

p3ga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 08:54 PM   #15
NSFW
ktm's "the tourist"

Oddometer: 15,918
Quote:
Originally Posted by GalacticGS View Post
Although probably not a perfect run organization, the AMA does fight for motorcyclist's rights. The cost of membership is completely negligible in my overall motorcycling budget. So I'm a member, and will continue to be.

Some districts are better run than others, and some definitely have more events than others. 30+ years ago, I was an active D37 desert rider, but in the past few years the only AMA events I've ridden have been a couple of LAB2V dual sport rides.

I still regard the small membership fee a bargain to have an organization promoting the rights of motorcyclists. And I like being informed of issues detrimental to those rights so I can send off a letter to my appropriate government representatives.

i agree and support any organizations that help fight for our cause. i'm not even active in CORVA event but i joined to be a life time member. i organize the death valley noobs rally to raise funds for Blue Ribbon Society, Stewards of Sequioas and CORVA.

you guys who complain, always looking at the other side of the fence. why don't you step up and do your part (if you haven't). i don't care if you give up your AMA membership but do something for our cause.

AMA does something more than what you see or speculate. sorry if you are short sighted.
NSFW is offline   Reply With Quote