Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Some Assembly Required
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-09-2014, 12:28 PM   #61
snowhawk jockey
Slack Jaw Gaper

Oddometer: 1,083
Sheeewt, that buzz saw looks just like the one I have mounted on the bumper of my Brumby. I found the correct part numbers for an LC8 Blower, just have to decide if its the 5 burner or 6 burner:

snowhawk jockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 04:53 PM   #62
OldDog OP
Smelly Adventurer type

Oddometer: 4,162
Dammit, they already make a blower setup for an LC8??? It looks a bit bulky though.....

So, it's been a big week with some real life drama's happening which is going to slow this down a bit, however I've ordered a brand spanking new AMR500 and pulleys from this guy http://www.kemotorsport.com/ and it should be here this week.
On top of that he's given me advice re: direction of rotation and I can build this going counter clockwise which will save a lot of extra fabrication.
On top of that Pezz has put me onto a bloke in Inverell who's keen to do the fab work i need for the actual drive and mounts. That won't be until end of March or so, which gives me a chance to get the drawings done etc. I'll then take the bike up to him so he can get a good look and get started.
Old 02-01-2014, 01:25 AM   #63
OldDog OP
Smelly Adventurer type

Well i've been off the grid for a bit, but during that time the new blower and pulleys have turned up

And i picked up a pair of Supermoto forks and shock off DRJoe, stll experimenting there but they look sexy eh?

Soooo I've done some rough setting up to see how it will look

Intake will be in the space between the engine and the blower which will be a simple duct moulded out of fiberglass with a K&N pod filter. It will expel forward into the ducting which will go straight up and dissapear under the tank and into the airbox.

In the meantime i've made up a dash and fitted the usual "streetfighter" twin headlights. At this point I have an electrical gremlin stopping the headlights and blinkers from working so will hit the manual in a tic and look at the wiring diagram.

Still, I'm getting there slowly. At this point I have it slated to go up to Inverall in April to start the fabrication work so I have time to get everything else right.

Oh and I'm short a left hand Brembo SM caliper, if anyone has one laying around.....

Cheers
Old 02-01-2014, 08:00 PM   #64
bk brkr baker
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,013
Any motorcycle with a supercharger.....

Too friggin cool , in my book.

bk brkr baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 01:11 AM   #65
DRjoe
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,785
so your not finished yet!

hurry up will you
DRjoe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 07:28 PM   #66
OldDog OP
Smelly Adventurer type

Settle down there big fella! The way things are going I reckon this will be ready for some serious fun by next summer, maybe around September.....say isn't that when the next Scrapheap ride is on?

I managed to exorcise the electrical dmons from the wiring before I had to head back to work for the week, I should have headlights and blinkers next weekend so may even be able to take it for a ride, minus one caliper. I'm wondering how effective one caliper will be as both Joe and Snowhawk mention that they have converted to one caliper. I suppose with the standard master cylinder the brake would lock though?

More food for thought
Old 02-02-2014, 07:40 PM   #67
bk brkr baker
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,013
If you use the MC from a dual disc bike to only operate one caliper, you need a lot of hand force as the working piston in a dual setup is larger than the piston in a single caliper system.
You'll have a hard lever but, it won't put enough force in the system to stop easily.
bk brkr baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 08:43 PM   #68
OldDog OP
Smelly Adventurer type

Ah ha, thanks for that bk, in that case I'll just use the single as a test setup to go around the block until a caliper turns up on ebay. I think with this much grunt, twin brakes just may be a smart idea
Old 02-03-2014, 04:36 PM   #69
dcmspikes
Adventurer

Oddometer: 26
this is amazing. you guys are crazy in the best kind of way.
dcmspikes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 04:47 PM   #70
stevh0
Super Retard.

Oddometer: 1,357
okay, now you REALLY have my attention.
Ex 950ADV
Ex SM610, FS570, WR450, Africa Twin(s)
stevh0 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 11:35 AM   #71
snowhawk jockey
Slack Jaw Gaper

I use a MC off the 2005 or 2006 450SMR with single 4pot radial mount caliper.
I believe it is a 16.4mm as opposed to the 18mm on the 990. Do I need to mount my RT caliper and give up the left so you got brakes to match your new power band?
Old 02-04-2014, 04:50 PM   #72
OldDog OP
Smelly Adventurer type

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowhawk jockey View Post
I use a MC off the 2005 or 2006 450SMR with single 4pot radial mount caliper.
I believe it is a 16.4mm as opposed to the 18mm on the 990. Do I need to mount my RT caliper and give up the left so you got brakes to match your new power band?
Ah yeah you mentioned that MC i forgot. What are your thoughts on the braking ability of the bike with just the one caliper? I've seen guys do it to their 950/990 adventures and they reckon its ok. When building my Ducati dirt bike I fitted a single caliper and 320mm Motard disc to it and that seemed okay. Mind you those are dirt orientated and this little beast is focussed mainly on the road.

I dunno about that offer of the caliper on your bike though, I appreciate it, but hate the thought of someone pulling there gear apart. I'm wondering (i'd check myself but the bike is miles away) but couldn't a right hand caliper be used on the left side? The bleeder and hose inlet would be at opposite ends to the norm, but they'd still fit? Bearing in mind these are monobloc's versus the more common side mounting calipers.

Hmmmmm
Old 02-04-2014, 04:52 PM   #73
OldDog OP
Smelly Adventurer type

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcmspikes View Post
this is amazing. you guys are crazy in the best kind of way.
Well I can't recall the last time someone accused me of doing something sensible
Old 02-04-2014, 11:15 PM   #74
mousitsas
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,611
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldDog View Post
Ah yeah you mentioned that MC i forgot. What are your thoughts on the braking ability of the bike with just the one caliper? I've seen guys do it to their 950/990 adventures and they reckon its ok. When building my
I think it will be adequate only in case you use top of the shelf 320mm or 330mm components inc another suitable master.
Overall braking force will not be much different, but brake disc heat (and consequent brake force deterioration) will, so you have to choose wisely your parts. Maybe you could fit a single rim disc ala buell?
mousitsas is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 11:05 AM   #75
snowhawk jockey
Slack Jaw Gaper

The traction you have on the 17" front will make double discs much mo betta. I can lock my front on dry pavement with the 19", I dont think one disc can lock a 17".