User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-04-2014, 09:52 PM   #1
Marine By Choice OP
Sergeant 0311

Oddometer: 162
Thinking about trade

I have a 2005 R1200GS with very low miles, well farkled and mechanically and cosmetically near perfect. I am considering trading for a 2005 V-Strom 1000 with sidecar and low miles and good shape. Your thoughts?
Marine By Choice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 11:13 PM   #2
DRONE
Dog Chauffeur

Oddometer: 3,310
This is the black one at SSBMW? I would say $10K would be a good deal for that outfit. I checked it out last week. Nice setup. Already has leading legs, electric tilt, and sidecar brakes. Just needs a car tire on the rear wheel and I'm pretty sure you can do that without any modification. A car tire will go right on the DL1000 rear rim.

Is it a good deal? It would depend on more specifics on your bike. How many miles exactly, and the entire list of farkles and mods. A 2005 GS might be worth anywhere from $5000 to $12,000 depending on those details.

Don't forget to factor in the sales tax. A $10,000 bike in Washington generates about $800 sales tax if you buy it outright, but if you trade your bike even-steven for the new bike you pay $0 sales tax.
Old 02-04-2014, 11:29 PM   #3
Marine By Choice OP
Sergeant 0311

Drone,
That is the one. Nice looking bike.
Mine has Jesse boxes and Jesse top box, bash plate, and 5,200 miles. Just barely broken in. I bought it last year and was going to South Africa until my best friend, who was also going, broke his leg. Also Rox riser, new tires,Russell seat, and a few other things. Also I have Woody's spoke wheels as extras with new tires.
Don't really want to trade, but will get more use from a hack.
Sold an '06 Patrol last year that I used a lot!
Thanks for the info
Old 02-05-2014, 06:02 PM   #4
DRONE
Dog Chauffeur

Oddometer: 3,310
With 3 Jesse's, a Russel seat, and only 5200 miles I would say that would be pretty close to an even trade. And no sales tax!

SSBMW will make a tidy profit when they sell your 12, but don't let that stop you. If it was me, I'd keep the Jesse top box for the hack and get rid of the ugly-ass Givi case they got on there.
Old 02-05-2014, 07:11 PM   #5
davebig
Another Angry Hun !

Oddometer: 2,435
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRONE View Post
With 3 Jesse's, a Russel seat, and only 5200 miles I would say that would be pretty close to an even trade. And no sales tax!

SSBMW will make a tidy profit when they sell your 12, but don't let that stop you. If it was me, I'd keep the Jesse top box for the hack and get rid of the ugly-ass Givi case they got on there.
Drone's pretty close to right the first generation R1200(geared too high, obnoxious power brakes, BMWchanged final drive next generation) weren't that special anyway, and I'd also try and keep the Jesse top box. I looked at the V-Strom ad very positive could probably benefit from revalving forks and more spring if it hasn't been done already, liquid cooled gearing easily adjustable what's not too love.DB
Almost forgot I was in the USN get over it
Old 02-05-2014, 07:15 PM   #6
Marine By Choice OP
Sergeant 0311

Drone and Big Dave

Thanks. Think I will call in the morning.
Old 02-08-2014, 04:56 PM   #7
davebig
Another Angry Hun !

Marine
Any up date on your shopping adventure ?
Old 02-08-2014, 05:05 PM   #8
Marine By Choice OP
Sergeant 0311

Quote:
Originally Posted by davebig View Post
Marine
Any up date on your shopping adventure ?
Yes. I took my BMW to them, liked the V-Strom, but the V-Strom hack rig would not fit into my enclosed trailer. By taking it partially apart it COULD have fit, but not worth the hassle of doing it every time.

So I think I will have DMC put a sidecar on the BMW.
Old 02-08-2014, 05:14 PM   #9
davebig
Another Angry Hun !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marine By Choice View Post
Yes. I took my BMW to them, liked the V-Strom, but the V-Strom hack rig would not fit into my enclosed trailer. By taking it partially apart it COULD have fit, but not worth the hassle of doing it every time.

So I think I will have DMC put a sidecar on the BMW.
Too wide ? It's very difficult to get them narrow enough to trailer without 7" or so between the trailer wheels. they also separate easier than you'd think with quick disconnects on brake, wire harness etc, once your onto it they are easy to keep aligned etc.DB
Old 02-08-2014, 05:16 PM   #10
Marine By Choice OP
Sergeant 0311

Quote:
Originally Posted by davebig View Post
Too wide ? It's very difficult to get them narrow enough to trailer without 7" or so between the trailer wheels. they also separate easier than you'd think with quick disconnects on brake, wire harness etc, once your onto it they are easy to keep aligned etc.DB
The trailer opening on the rear ramp door is too narrow. Inside is fine. I had an 06 Ural Patrol that fit with 2 inches on each side of the opening.

Not to worry - the BMW will be a great hack unit!
Old 02-08-2014, 06:12 PM   #11
usgser
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,973
Hi Keith. Check with Jay about dimensions. An oilhead with a Ural or clone tub will make a nice outfit but not exactly svelt either.
usgser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 06:17 PM   #12
Marine By Choice OP
Sergeant 0311

Will do. Thanks!
Old 02-08-2014, 06:21 PM   #13
Boondox
Travels With Barley

Oddometer: 2,926
Quote:
The trailer opening on the rear ramp door is too narrow. Inside is fine. I had an 06 Ural Patrol that fit with 2 inches on each side of the opening.

Good choice, Keith! We have an open trailer that my wife uses to haul hay for her sheep. My GSA/Hannigan rig is slightly wider than the deck, but it has enough ground clearance to fit over the fender wells. Lucked out on that one!

I'd really hoped to meet you when we were out there for the rally, but the desert crossing was tough on Barley and we headed for cooler climes and cold running water.

Semper fi,
Pete
I got a sidecar to travel with my dog. He never complains, is delighted to be with me, approves of my dietary choices, is a social butterfly who helps me meet folks, appreciates a good beer, snuggles better than my wife, and hangs on my every word as if it's the most profound thing he's ever heard. TravelsWithBarley.com
Boondox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 06:27 PM   #14
Marine By Choice OP
Sergeant 0311

Hi Pete,
The wheel wells are on the outside of the trailer. No issues with the trailer, just the track/frame to enter.
I didn't make Salem as family issues happened. Retired in September, so now planning some long trips, both with my wife on Gold Wing 1800 trike and my best friend on BMW.
Semper Fi,
Keith
Old 02-09-2014, 06:58 AM   #15
davebig
Another Angry Hun !

Quote:

I'm doubting that any adv rig built around a BMW ain't going thru that door, I searched allot to find a trailer wide enough to get mine on,DB