Go Back   ADVrider > Gear > Vendors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-29-2014, 08:18 PM   #181
danman
tumbling tumbleweed

Oddometer: 166
OK then, with enough strength to pull a XR650 or mid sized KTM.......
danman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 06:54 AM   #182
Snowbound
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 854
I am interested in one .
2001 R 1150 GS 1978 R 100RS 1976 XT-500 1964 CL-72
1955 CJ-5 1975 F-250 Highboy
Snowbound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 07:43 AM   #183
StuInFH
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 301
Still interested, but to be fair, I have spec'd out a DIY kit sourced from climbing gear outfits and that route is attractive as well. The AE kit had advantage of small size, a plus for carrying, but likely tricky to keep from fouling lines, as said above.

Let us know a firmer estimate with specs and I'll make a promise or not then. thanks!
StuInFH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 08:25 AM   #184
dirty_sanchez
Dirty_Sanchez

Oddometer: 2,497
Guys-source suitably sized 3 or 4 wheeled small blocks used on sailboats coupled with 7/64" amsteel blue for this rig and you'll be ace in the hole and it'll fit in a beer can sized bag..

Dirty
Old 02-02-2014, 12:21 PM   #185
bete
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 492
Im interested. bete
Old 02-04-2014, 07:02 AM   #186
SportFaller
Dirt dont hurt, MUCH

Oddometer: 667
I may be in! pics? est. price?
SportFaller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 04:30 PM   #187
wilkinsonk
Riff Raff

Oddometer: 584
Quote:
Originally Posted by dirty_sanchez View Post
Guys-source suitably sized 3 or 4 wheeled small blocks used on sailboats coupled with 7/64" amsteel blue for this rig and you'll be ace in the hole and it'll fit in a beer can sized bag..

Dirty
What he said ^^^^^^ Quite the dicking around with this setup and make a stop at West Marine or your local marina. This stuff can be had for a fraction of the cost and you can get the pulleys that fit your needs (according to load limit). No need for the one-size-fits-all model.

- Ken
wilkinsonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 06:10 PM   #188
_cy_
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,449
Quote:
Originally Posted by wilkinsonk View Post
What he said ^^^^^^ Quite the dicking around with this setup and make a stop at West Marine or your local marina. This stuff can be had for a fraction of the cost and you can get the pulleys that fit your needs (according to load limit). No need for the one-size-fits-all model.

- Ken
that's kind of the conclusion I came to awhile back. already got on hand climbing pulleys that's overkill for the job. a bit more bulky than mini-pulleys but still fairly light.

the suggestion to use miniature double pulleys is a good one ..
_cy_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 07:30 PM   #189
crazybrit
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,422
Quote:
What he said ^^^^^^ Quite the dicking around with this setup and make a stop at West Marine or your local marina.
Or and let the guy spec out his design. You obviously are not interested. OK but I imagine some people may be interested in what he comes up with versus having to run around a bunch of stores. Each to their own
crazybrit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 07:40 PM   #190
_cy_
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazybrit View Post
Or and let the guy spec out his design. You obviously are not interested. OK but I imagine some people may be interested in what he comes up with versus having to run around a bunch of stores. Each to their own
note this thread has been going on since 2011 .. it's not for lack of trying to purchase original pulley system. if/when a pulley system materializes naturally there will not be a lack of buyers.

until then my improvised pulley system will have to do
Old 02-04-2014, 07:45 PM   #191
crazybrit
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,422
Quote:
Originally Posted by _cy_ View Post
note this thread has been going on since 2011
really?

Quote:
.. it's not for lack of trying to purchase original pulley system. if/when a pulley system materializes naturally there will not be a lack of buyers.
Hence the "new producer" post that kicked the thread into gear again. Full props for jlw in trying to see if he can come up with a new product. For the nay-sayers ... I think everyone knows that it's possible to roll-your-own (with size limitations) and that this thread didn't invent the principle of mechanical advantage.
crazybrit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 09:49 PM   #192
Maoule
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 224
Quote:

- Ken

How about you guys sketch out and list what would be required to duplicate what we're looking here? I'm not well versed in the art of block and tackle so don't mind asking.
Maoule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 11:41 PM   #193
_cy_
Beastly Adventurer

double pulley system

triple system

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Durable-M25-...-/261373874293

_cy_ screwed with this post 02-04-2014 at 11:58 PM
Old 02-05-2014, 08:43 AM   #194
rickypanecatyl
SE Asia adventure tours

Oddometer: 991
One of the main problems with the original EZ Pull was the lack of mechanical advantage.
Theoretically that set up was a 5:1 advantage however in the REAL world testing our with a luggage scale I found I barely got a 2:1 advantage after friction and loses. Of course you will always pull 5:1 distance wise.

Anyways just throwing that out there to say whatever someone comes up with it should go without saying that before lots are made you should check and see what the bottom line mechanical advantage is.
I think we all want small; generally I've found the bigger the pulleys though the more efficient they are.

Sent from my C5502 using Tapatalk
rickypanecatyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 09:04 AM   #195
rickypanecatyl
SE Asia adventure tours

Oddometer: 991
FWIW I got mine for the many times riding in the jungle alone and getting my bike stuck in some deep nasty mud our dropping it in the 3-5' deep ruts we have.
However I rarely bring it with me despite how small it is... here's why:

It's so rare to be in a situation where it gives me an advantage.
Imagine being at the gym and comparing how strong your own body is to itself.
If I'm stuck in the mud I can get down, set up the EZ Pull to a tree in front of me and while sitting on the bike keeping it up right I Vann pull hand over hand.
Or I can NOT use the EZ pull, stand next to the bike keeping it upright and post forward and up on the bike using squat, calf and military press muscles. My body easily had a 4:1 advantage there + I can use the engine from that position. At the same time, hire much I can "squat" at an angle is drastically reduced if I'm standing on a surface that's slicker than snot on a brass doorknob.
Or I can stand on solid ground with the EZ PULL and pull with my whole body on the dowel handle BUT with the bike lying on it's side hand/foot guards dragging in the mud possibly giving me a coefficient of friction of 2.5 (takes 750 lbs of force to move a 300 lb bike.)
IF it really gave a 5:1 advantage that last choice would be the easiest and work well but as its only 2:1 with a hard to grip string I haven't found it super helpful.

Sent from my C5502 using Tapatalk
rickypanecatyl is offline   Reply With Quote