Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Orange Crush
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-03-2014, 05:10 PM   #16
Daveman
Adventurer

Oddometer: 34
What is the comfort level of the Ergo seats compared with the standard 2-piece seats for long distance road touring, say 600 Km per day?

I haven't got the ergo seat...yet... I have a standard 1190 and am not that pleased with the standard seat. Daily commuting is okay but when I made my Spain trip last summer I experienced the seat to be rather uncomfortable. Not that supportive material! Next week I'll be getting the ergo seat.

Do the Ergo seats help at all in reducing the heat transmitted to the rider's bum from the rear cylinder/ exhaust?

i find the heat not that annoying... Even with temperaturs of 30° celcius wearing motorcycle pants.

Do all 2014 Adventure 1190's come as standard with the new BOSCH MSC "lean angle sensitive" ABS/ Traction control?

yes. If it's a true 2014.

Does the 2014 Adventure R have stiffer / improved suspension compared with the standard 2014 Adventure? (my question is about the "quality" of the suspension units, not EDS).

no experience here. R has more travel so I suppose it will dive more under braking and such (for road riding...) but again, no experience here. Happy with performance of my standard with electronically adjustment.

Before I take delivery of the new 1190 Adventure, can anyone help me with a list of known faults / problems for me to ask the KTM importer in Athens to check are resolved

colt start issue (not fixed yet but starting with a little throttle seems to start it every time), heat issue (doesn't bother me), leaking coolant (hose clamps not tightened enough in the factory so easy fix)

If you are a similar height to me, which of the three windshields sold by KTM Powerparts give the smoothest and most comfortable ride?

Will I need to fit bar risers to achieve an upright riding position?

I think about installing them. Think it will be a little more comfortable

Have the "vibration problems" felt through the bars been resolved by KTM? What was the cause of the bar vibration? What is the "fix"?

I have absolutely not encountered this vibration issue...

If you can help even by answering just one of these questions, please post on this thread.
Daveman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 07:40 PM   #17
Chuckracer
Jerkus Maximus

Oddometer: 7,501

Chuckracer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 10:12 PM   #18
Jim Colombotos
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 320
So you're thinking you will be bottoming out the touring suspension aggravating your back injury?

I would tend to think the R s stiffer suspension would aggravate your back more.

On the other front you can work with a suspension shop to soften up the R suspension if needed.
2015 350 EXC
Jim Colombotos is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 09:31 AM   #19
bigdave-gs
Explorer

Oddometer: 2,354
Rob I also went with the R model because of lower back problems, not fused, just herniated. I do ride off road but at a much slower pace than I did 25 years ago. I'm 6'8" and like the extra room the R gives, also the tall heated seat, 2" bar risers and foot pegs in the low position.

Ridden so many bikes I lost count ! ! !
bigdave-gs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 09:07 PM   #20
kag
Wander Lust

Oddometer: 1,160
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobZorba View Post
But if they cannot be civil, there are ways to vote them off this forum, aren't there?
No, there is no voting around here. If the mods have an issue they will tell us. Wonway simply called you out.

i will say it was just 2 weeks ago on here you were saying you would NOT being buying any 1190 until KTM fixed the problems and honored a warranty related to a youtube video you saw or was it the skid plate hole...

Post what you want but nobody gets voted off the island by you or me

2007 Yamaha TW 200 / 2008 Buell Ulysses
2013 Triumph Tiger 800r / 2014 KTM 1190 EDS
kag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 12:27 AM   #21
Wonway
KTM Fanboi #2

Oddometer: 423
Quote:
Yes - and you advised me to get a GS and I didn't do that either :-)

I placed my order after I knew KTM had honored the warranty for the guys in SA. KTM fixed the airbox flexing problems with a different design for 2014 production. The paper filter on both 2013 and 2014 versions is not perfect, it can still let fine dust through its fibers even when the airbox seal is perfect. Again, UniFilter fixes this. I ordered a 2014 version Unifilter. KTM Athens are fixing the skidplate. I was mostly happy with KTM's responses, only thing remaining is for the Unifilter to be officially approved by KTM and used as replacement for the current paper filters. Meanwhile KTM are honoring a 2 year warranty with the Unifilter fitted by the KTM dealer, Bikers and Bikes in Corfu.

Hope your leg is healing well and that you'll be riding again soon.
Can you provide official documentation on this KTM 2 year warranty for the R model with or without this aftermarket air filter?
1994 Ducati 888 LTD #61
2008 Husqvarna TE610
2014 KTM 1190 Adventure R
Wonway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 06:36 AM   #22
geez996
Adventurer

Oddometer: 15
Quote:
I will be able to scan it next week - though it will be written in Greek. The warranty situation in USA seems to be different, though I don't understand why the importer would do that. I checked the question of the warranty on the R twice now, second time I said that it appears that the R only has a 1 year warranty in USA and I asked them to double check. Each time the answer from KTM Greece was the same, 2 years. Also there is an option with KTM in Greece to extend the warranty to 4 years, though I don't know the price yet.
I was told there is no extention to the warranty.
Can you give me your contact to the dealer. ?

Thanks
Old 02-05-2014, 06:41 AM   #23
Black Hills
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,023
in the US the R only has a one year warranty, the standard has 2?
Black Hills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 06:44 AM   #24
harryzgnilek
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 336
Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Hills View Post
in the US the R only has a one year warranty, the standard has 2?
yes
and also Canada
harryzgnilek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 07:19 AM   #25
Tjeu
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 143
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wonway View Post
Can you provide official documentation on this KTM 2 year warranty for the R model with or without this aftermarket air filter?
Welcome to europe! You can't sell a (new) thing without min 2 years of warranty! Unless service. That comes with only one year of waranty. And secondhand stuff. Thats one aswel. But new things, always 2 years.

Cars, bikes, computers, tables, radiators, swingset, a kettle, bbq,... Everything.
Tjeu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 07:56 AM   #26
Tjeu
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 143
Quote:
It seems a bit inconsistent / unfair in North America that the R only has a 1 year warranty, whereas the std 1190 is 2 years. Maybe KTM North America need to be challenged about it by their customers and dealers. They would sell more R's if they do the right thing for prospective customers. If I was offered a 1 yr warranty for the R and 2 yr warranty for the standard, it would have tipped the choice towards the standard.
In the US the R is much harder used off-road. They have off-road trails bigger than any european country. That makes it harder to handle warranty's. What did the rider brake vs what is wrong from the factory. Keep in mind the americans sue everybody for everything. something we do not do in Europe.
Tjeu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 03:06 PM   #27
Chuckracer
Jerkus Maximus

Oddometer: 7,501
Quote:
Leaving here
Bye.

Chuckracer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 04:31 AM   #28
Mowster
Stressed Member

Oddometer: 427
Quote:
Originally Posted by PatSmith View Post
You need to know that every time you get off it your face cheeks will hurt from the all day smile.