Reality show stunt double

Oddometer: 15,952
Quote:
Originally Posted by erkmania View Post
About what exactly?

1) Shallow pond? (me about you);
2) Hypocrisy? (me questioning you);
3) Politeness? (me about...well, me);
4) "In seconds the sides will be scrubbed in." (joexr). The number of seconds on new tires?; or
5) "Unless you start from a dead stop while leaned over , with the speed a tire rotates , you can throw it over as fast as you want to to full lean and and it's STILL basically gradual as far as contact patch goes. " (joexr). How fast you can throw a bike onto its side without problem on new tires?

Are you too weak to do your own legwork?

There are so many things to pick from that you left me confused about what you are trying to say, AGAIN.

Lastly, I recommend that you and I take this down to JoMamma and have a field day because I truly believe some folks really want to know about the "myth of scrubbing" and I have no desire to interfere with them.

Take a hint, Joe.
Or at a minimum, take it to PM.

Please use the ignore feature and move on.

Your friendly mod,

~EC

The future is no place to place your better days. ~ DMB

ECUADOR: Maintaining Rigid Flexibility
EvilClown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 02:40 PM   #812
tkent02
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,088
Just spooned on a set of Avon RoadRiders on my old Suzuki. Some kind of silicone slippery stuff all over one of the tires. Just the rear tire. My hands are all slippery now even after I washed my hands a little bit.
tkent02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 03:01 PM   #813
jnclem
True Airhead

Oddometer: 270
Quote:
Originally Posted by tkent02 View Post
Just spooned on a set of Avon RoadRiders on my old Suzuki. Some kind of silicone slippery stuff all over one of the tires. Just the rear tire. My hands are all slippery now even after I washed my hands a little bit.
No. This is not true:)
jnclem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 05:06 PM   #814
k-moe
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,078
Quote:
Originally Posted by jnclem View Post
No. This is not true:)
Everything I say is a lie.
k-moe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 05:13 PM   #815
tkent02
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,088
Quote:
Originally Posted by k-moe View Post
I'm pretty sure if I went right out and leaned hard into a corner I'd fall down right away. Because it's snowing.
tkent02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 06:40 PM   #816
Telemarktumalo
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 170
I pulled the wheels off of my GS last night and am spooning on a set of K60's tonight. Man, those 50/50's look great. Especially that shiny Armor All like tread surface. I can't wait to get them out tomorrow, and blast out of the garage WFO. It may drop down to 6-10 F, but I've got those grip warmers. There is a tight 90 left hander less than 1/8 mile away, and I'm thinking of stuffing my GS into that corner, and wheelie my way out in record time. Of course, I have READ Total Control and Twist of the Wrist. And, I was at the MotoGP at Laguna Seca last year. I saw Marquez make "the pass" on Rossi in the Cork Screw. I think he still had his tire labels on! "Scuffing" is for wimps.
Telemarktumalo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 08:32 PM   #817
jnclem
True Airhead

Oddometer: 270
Quote:
Originally Posted by Telemarktumalo View Post
I pulled the wheels off of my GS last night and am spooning on a set of K60's tonight. Man, those 50/50's look great. Especially that shiny Armor All like tread surface. I can't wait to get them out tomorrow, and blast out of the garage WFO. It may drop down to 6-10 F, but I've got those grip warmers. There is a tight 90 left hander less than 1/8 mile away, and I'm thinking of stuffing my GS into that corner, and wheelie my way out in record time. Of course, I have READ Total Control and Twist of the Wrist. And, I was at the MotoGP at Laguna Seca last year. I saw Marquez make "the pass" on Rossi in the Cork Screw. I think he still had his tire labels on! "Scuffing" is for wimps.
I love K60's on my GS. The first 1/4 mile from my house is a chip seal surface made of, I'm not kidding, 1" fractured rock. It's the biggest, roughest, nastiest chip seal I've ever seen in my life. I think Gunnison county thinks it lasts longer or something. But talk about scuffing , this stuff will eat you tires in no time. No choice about scuffing.
jnclem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 05:51 AM   #818
markk53
jack of all trades...

Oddometer: 7,495
Actually talked with a Dunlop rep and engineer at the Cleveland Cycle World Motorcycle Show.

No mold coating used, we all know that by now.

The tire could use some miles just to start the heat cycling process to get the tires where they should be chemically. So they might not have best adhesion for a fair amount of riding time. He said it takes a few heat cycles to essentially set the compound characteristics. As for the surface, when pressed a bit he felt it makes sense to run in the tires a bit to roughen the surface a bit. Basically riding in a normal fashion increasing cornering lean incrementally over time rather than just slam it in. Racers don't go full tilt instantly either.

His biggest concern and his opinion for the "break in" time... Handling. the new tire is so different in feel from the worn out one put on the bike, the rider may make a riding error due to the handling now working as it should. That is especially true of riders who wear a tire to the max and those who ride underinflated tires. We had one guy bring his Gold Wing back to the shop telling us to get "that road race tread" tire off his bike. I think it had a more rounded Michelin on it over the slightly more oval Tour Elite of the time. His problem was the bike was actually handling as it was supposed to.

The rep felt that was what made many riders crash on new tires. They're ready for the bike to work one way and it is a shock when it doesn't do what they expect.

He did say the same thing I did about the new bike out of the crate - preservative sprayed on the bike will be on the tires too. That is one time when the tires should be "broken in" to wear the preservative spray off the tread. He reaffirmed the fact that any tire cleaner/shines will leach the preservatives out of the tire and that it was also possible the preservative can come to the surface when a bike sits for a long time making it prudent to ride a bit careful for the first few miles and corners.

A lot of this was the same thing I learned from a Bridgestone rep back around 1987 at a Honda parts/accessories seminar. To add flame to the fire I was also told the minor cracking of the tire rubber compound due to age and "drying out" (preservative being exhausted) was not a problem unless you can see the tire cord through the crack. Of course that would no longer be one of those tiny cracks, it would be a significant crack in the rubber. Flame on!

Mark - klx678
95 KLX650C w/Vulcan piston bigbore, Now an 09 KLX250S, selling my 90 Zephyr 550
markk53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 08:50 AM   #819
erkmania
Still Adventuring

Oddometer: 769
Quote:
Originally Posted by markk53 View Post
Actually talked with a Dunlop rep and engineer at the Cleveland Cycle World Motorcycle Show.

"No mold coating...

...at a Honda parts/accessories seminar."
That all just seems so darned reasonable.

Quote:
To add flame to the fire I was also told the minor cracking of the tire rubber compound due to age and "drying out" (preservative being exhausted) was not a problem unless you can see the tire cord through the crack. Of course that would no longer be one of those tiny cracks, it would be a significant crack in the rubber. Flame on!
Right or wrong, I think I'll just continue to stick with the 5-year since made rule. I had a friend give me some new slicks for my race bike once that were at least 5-years old. I scuffed them in on the street near our shop and I never got comfortable with them. They just didn't provide any confidence. I mounted new tires and the bike returned to normal.

Another experience was with a tire that was shipped to me recently. It was just more than 5-years old. I hemmed and hawed about returning it. I checked the tread with my Durometer and didn't really see much difference between the used and the new tire. But, the rubber's suppleness just didn't seem good to me or the friends of mine that looked at it, too. The rep for the distributor had heard the same rule-of-thumb and he didn't argue in the least when I asked him to exchange the tire.

These are just the anecdotal experiences that come immediately to mind. YMMV.

2011 BMW R1200GS, 2004 KTM 950, 1996 ATK 605 ESDS
erkmania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 02:20 PM   #820
C/1/509
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,389
Quote:
Originally Posted by k-moe View Post
Even this?
C/1/509 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 02:56 PM   #821
Digbydoo
Feet up!

Oddometer: 10
I scuff!
Digbydoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 03:15 PM   #822
foxtrapper
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 601
Quote:

No mold coating used, we all know that by now.
Yet they still keep reporting it in their annual emissions certifications. Quantities used, purchase invoices,etc. I haven't seen a tire manufacturer emissions certification that doesn't report using it.
foxtrapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 03:36 PM   #823
OhBoy
Got Out

Oddometer: 965
I am a Scuffer.

Low speed weaving gradually increasing speed and lean angle. Done with any type of new tire. Only takes a few minutes. A good time to practice figure eights. Been known to do it in the dealers lot. Then head out to reality on the road. Increasing speed and angles until I'm satisfied.

Sometimes I'll rotor-till some dirt to hurry the process on the rear.

YMMV
Old 02-08-2014, 08:59 AM   #824
markk53
jack of all trades...

Oddometer: 7,495
Quote:
Originally Posted by erkmania View Post
That all just seems so darned reasonable.

Right or wrong, I think I'll just continue to stick with the 5-year since made rule. I had a friend give me some new slicks for my race bike once that were at least 5-years old. I scuffed them in on the street near our shop and I never got comfortable with them. They just didn't provide any confidence. I mounted new tires and the bike returned to normal.

Another experience was with a tire that was shipped to me recently. It was just more than 5-years old. I hemmed and hawed about returning it. I checked the tread with my Durometer and didn't really see much difference between the used and the new tire. But, the rubber's suppleness just didn't seem good to me or the friends of mine that looked at it, too. The rep for the distributor had heard the same rule-of-thumb and he didn't argue in the least when I asked him to exchange the tire.

These are just the anecdotal experiences that come immediately to mind. YMMV.
Yeah, but you're dealing with race slicks, not the tires on some guy's Shadow. I remember bicyclists used to and may still age their tires in dark rooms to affect the tread compound, no ozone source. Does it do anything? I don't know.

I figure these guys know far more than I do and probably everyone that has posted in this thread when it comes to generalities with tires.

As for the later post by someone about mold release agent, is it used for motorcycle tires or do they release just fine as is since the compound has oils and waxes in the mix. The rep was talking motorcycle tires and said no coating. Who do I believe? The guy who's there, sees the process and has no reason to lie about it. In fact if they did use something they would certainly want to reveal it for liability purposes. To get riders to scuff the material off the tires if it actually was there.

Again, I'd rather make the mistake to be too careful with new tires than not. Far cheaper end results.

Mark - klx678
95 KLX650C w/Vulcan piston bigbore, Now an 09 KLX250S, selling my 90 Zephyr 550
markk53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 05:23 PM   #825
erkmania
Still Adventuring

Oddometer: 769
Quote:
Yeah, but you're dealing with race slicks, not the tires on some guy's Shadow.
My bad. I wasn't clear about one of the tires. I was clear about the cracked slick, but I didn't clarify that the other tire was a Conti Road Attack 1 intended for my GS that was aged 5-years plus when I received it. That was the one I sent back with the distributor's blessing. I received an RA2 as a replacement after I shelled out the price difference. That company was quite obliging.

Thanks for catching that.

For more clarity, I will abide by the 5-year age limit on ALL new tires. I do, however, hold race tires to a shorter storage time limit. And, I don't dig cracked tires whatever the age; blessed or not.

That's just me and I'm a scuffer.

2011 BMW R1200GS, 2004 KTM 950, 1996 ATK 605 ESDS
erkmania is offline   Reply With Quote