Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > The perfect line and other riding myths
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-05-2014, 04:08 AM   #31
bracky72
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 857
Seems silly to me. This is akin to the hi viz thread.
bracky72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 05:28 AM   #32
Drstimpy
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 171
Quote:
Originally Posted by tkent02 View Post
Your fingers can move to the levers much quicker than your brain can decide to brake or not.

No offense but I can't disagree more!
You will hit something you don't want to hit and I will have stopped just in time in same situation.

60 mph is 88 fps so even if you are superman with a 500 ms reaction time to lever, you go 44 extra feet!

Some must watch while others must sleep
Drstimpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 06:18 AM   #33
tkent02
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,102
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drstimpy View Post
No offense but I can't disagree more!
You will hit something you don't want to hit and I will have stopped just in time in same situation.

60 mph is 88 fps so even if you are superman with a 500 ms reaction time to lever, you go 44 extra feet!

I'm sorry, in fifty years of riding it hasn't happened yet.

I'm pretty sure it's not going to start happening now.

Yanno, going into an area of dense idiots doing god knows what in their cars, I might be ready on the brake. When everyone on the highway changes lanes at once, maybe. Zipping into a parking lot, sure. Going down some road with deer all around, probably. Going down a steep rocky incline on a dirt bike I might keep a finger on the brake since I'm using it more often than not anyway. Depends on the situation.

Just riding along, with nothing in particular going on, nope. My finger will be on the bars, maybe in my lap staying warm, maybe scratching my nuts. Maybe reaching for a drink, maybe taking a picture. I'm just not that paranoid.
If I was that scared of it I wouldn't ride at all.
tkent02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 06:37 AM   #34
Drstimpy
Gnarly Adventurer

Just a good habit for me. I must be surrounded by idiots more often than not.

Old 02-05-2014, 06:53 AM   #35
markk53
jack of all trades...

Oddometer: 7,508
Quote:
Meh, Seems silly to me. Never had trouble modulating a throttle, never had trouble getting the brake on. I have had handlebars ripped out of my hands.

Some folks will complicate the Hell out of everything and tell everyone else that's the correct way to do it.

Not so much the correct way, but rather a good practice in general to be prepared if riding briskly (aka fast). Shortens reaction time and allows some fine braking as needed quickly.

Obviously not for you and that is fine.

Personally it is two fingers on the brakes when applying the brakes so I don't get the bars ripped out of my hands. I still have a grip on the bar. Learned that in trials and then in harescrambling. Develop sufficient strength to use two fingers or occasionally three. Works for me pretty much everywhere. So that's what works for me as learned without any internet input in 1971.

Mark - klx678
95 KLX650C w/Vulcan piston bigbore, Now an 09 KLX250S, selling my 90 Zephyr 550
markk53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 06:56 AM   #36
markk53
jack of all trades...

Quote:

Yanno, going into an area of dense idiots doing god knows what in their cars, I might be ready on the brake. When everyone on the highway changes lanes at once, maybe. Zipping into a parking lot, sure. Going down some road with deer all around, probably. Going down a steep rocky incline on a dirt bike I might keep a finger on the brake since I'm using it more often than not anyway. Depends on the situation.

Just riding along, with nothing in particular going on, nope. My finger will be on the bars, maybe in my lap staying warm, maybe scratching my nuts. Maybe reaching for a drink, maybe taking a picture. I'm just not that paranoid.

Wow - it appears when you're riding you're just diddling around.

Not so much for me. The road is the fun and I usually try to find something entertaining to ride. no time to diddle around, the next corner is here or the road is a bit rough. I stop if I feel like taking the time to scratch my nuts... although I will stand up to fart.

Oh, also no cup holders on my dual sport either. If I need to do that stuff I shouldn't be riding. That's why they put cup holders and blue tooth in cars - for people who'd rather screw around than actually drive. Then people think they need it stuck on their bikes because they need distraction. Next you'll be telling us having fingers on the brakes interferes with your texting...

Mark - klx678
Old 02-05-2014, 07:08 AM   #37
Badjuju
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 253
If your hand is uncomfortable with the reach to the lever due to small size, try to find a lever with adjustable reach, or see if you can fit a motocross/dirt style 2- or 3-finger lever to your bike. You might find it helps.

http://wxyixin.en.alibaba.com/produc..._for_YZ85.html
Some people will tell you that slow is good, and it may be on some days, but I am here to tell you that fast is better... Being shot out of a cannon will always be better than being squeezed out of a tube. That is why God made fast motorcycles, Bubba.... Hunter S Thompson, Song of the Sausage Creature
Badjuju is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 07:09 AM   #38
markk53
jack of all trades...

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliKarl View Post
I've been told to keep one finger on the front brake at all times while riding off pavement. Well, easier said than done. My hands just cannot make that happen. I'll look into getting different levers and/or bars, but is it sufficient to keep that finger close and ready instead of resting on the lever? Thanks for your input.

I take it you actually have ridden. Can you think for your self? If so, do so.

No you cannot easily keep your brake lever covered all the time.

No, God will not send a lightning bolt down to kill you... or even knock you off your bike.

But yes, I am poking fun at you.

Do what works. I don't have fingers on the brake when going up a hill off road, but I am ready if I don't make it. I do have my fingers on the brake lever when going down hill so as to be ready to brake, same with faster trail riding. If you have it covered you are more likely to be ready to apply the brakes in an even fashion so as to not fall on your ass. If you have to suddenly move to grip the brake when not having it covered it is likely you might tend to grab it.

Fact is my levers are set for seated riding and mildly crouched weight back riding as might be done when maneuvering a trail at a rapid pace or going down hill. Plus I have smaller hands With them there I cannot easily use the brake when bolt upright or leaning forward going up hill. I don't need them going up hill and I seldom am standing bolt upright.

In addition, off roading with most all bikes now, two finger braking is totally sufficient. No need for three or four. Thus the reason all serious off roaders have two finger levers.

Do what you find works. You will also find you will change what you do as you ride more and also if you change bikes. It is all a process of continuous improvement. No one can really tell you what is right for you. You try it and see if it works. If not, change it up or don't do it.

It's kind of like the "always stand up when off roading" thing. What BS that is. Do what works! I do stand when I've found it necessary and I also know what is necessary for me may not be for everyone.

Mark - klx678
Old 02-05-2014, 07:19 AM   #39
tkent02
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by markk53 View Post
Wow - it appears when you're riding you're just diddling around.

Not so much for me. The road is the fun and I usually try to find something entertaining to ride. no time to diddle around, the next corner is here or the road is a bit rough. I stop if I feel like taking the time to scratch my nuts... although I will stand up to fart.

Oh, also no cup holders on my dual sport either. If I need to do that stuff I shouldn't be riding. That's why they put cup holders and blue tooth in cars - for people who'd rather screw around than actually drive. Then people think they need it stuck on their bikes because they need distraction. Next you'll be telling us having fingers on the brakes interferes with your texting...
Cup holders? Yeah right. What do I look like, a Gold Wanger?
Straight roads I'm not going to go balls out all the way, it's just not that much fun. Plenty of time to scratch one's balls.

Corners are fun, unfortunately some roads are straight.

In a set of corners, you know exactly when you will be putting on the brakes, it's not going to be a surprise unless you totally screw up your line. Again, your finger can move to the lever quicker than your brain can decide to brake or not.
If always keeping a finger on the brake were a good idea, wouldn't you think racers would all do it? Watch the road racers, motocrossers, any of the others you don't see it.

Trials riders do, but they are using both the brake and the clutch constantly.
Old 02-05-2014, 07:20 AM   #40
DavidM1
Adventurer

Oddometer: 31
Quote:
I'm just not that paranoid.
Ditto to everything you said there (except 40 years in my case). Plus I like to have good control of my handlebars.
Old 02-05-2014, 07:22 AM   #41
tkent02
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badjuju View Post
If your hand is uncomfortable with the reach to the lever due to small size, try to find a lever with adjustable reach, or see if you can fit a motocross/dirt style 2- or 3-finger lever to your bike. You might find it helps.

http://wxyixin.en.alibaba.com/produc..._for_YZ85.html
Before adjustable levers came out, we would bend them to fit our hands.
Old 02-05-2014, 07:52 AM   #42
Drstimpy
Gnarly Adventurer

Wish my street riding looked like a track. Then yes I'd only cover the brake when using it...in fact that's what I do. Im sure my hands look just like Rossi's in the close ups...and that is about it for how close I get to looking like him;)

Old 02-05-2014, 09:09 AM   #43
ride4fun562
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 184
I keep my finger on the front brake all the time, so much so that it feels really strange if i try to ride with all my fingers around the throttle.
ride4fun562 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 12:02 PM   #44
redog1
KLR650-2009

Oddometer: 1,709
Laugh I have to agree with...

Do what works for you.

My fingers are where ever they need to be at any given time, circumstances and situations are always changing, sometimes they're needed on the levers, sometimes not. Whatever works.
Old 02-05-2014, 02:25 PM   #45
Velocibiker
Adventure Antagonist

Oddometer: 1,161
Quote:
Originally Posted by ride4fun562 View Post
I keep my finger on the front brake all the time, so much so that it feels really strange if i try to ride with all my fingers around the throttle.
Me too. Since it's all push to turn I don't see the need to 'grip' either the left grip or throttle. My pinkies don't reach the levers, but I usually have 3-4 fingers over both levers at all times except when going very slow. For me, it takes more effort to grip than to relax and cover. Not to mention it just feels funny to be 'grabbing' the bars.

Got to stay relaxed. Having a 'death grip' screws up everything.