Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > The perfect line and other riding myths
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-31-2014, 10:31 AM   #31
Seth650
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 407
ADV sticker causes cagers to slow down around you?
Old 01-31-2014, 11:57 AM   #32
NJ-Brett
Brett

Oddometer: 6,376
I also think I would pick a dual sport, much as I like vintage bikes.
They are tough, soak up bumps, tend to be light, easy to work on.

Nothing seems great, the dr650 is a bit too big and heavy, the 250's too small and under powered.
A dr400 would be nice.

Once out of the US and its high speed limits and wide open interstates, the 250's would do real well.
I think 95% of bikes in other countries are 250cc or less.
NJ-Brett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 05:56 PM   #33
markk53
jack of all trades...

Oddometer: 8,154
Quote:
Originally Posted by farmerstu View Post
read rwd dougs ride reports.
contray to what some on here will say, you will have a blast. a different tool will still get the job done, sometimes more fun due to being different. go for it and don't forget to do a ride report.

welcome to the forum.
Especially when you bury it to the axles in mud on one of those nice unimproved South American road ways!

Do it!

Mark - klx678
95 KLX650C w/Vulcan piston bigbore, Now an 09 KLX250S, selling my 90 Zephyr 550
markk53 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 05:58 PM   #34
markk53
jack of all trades...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussijussi View Post
Friend did a trip around the world on a gold wing, which included Sahara and south America, so it can be done

There are contortionists who can likely stick their heads up their anus too. But I don't plan to try.

Mark - klx678
Old 02-03-2014, 08:26 PM   #35
SuperdaveOsborn
Frustrated Slacker

Oddometer: 7
I would say dual sport. This is like taking a '68 Mustang. It might do fine, but it will be hard on the old girl. Your bike is going to be a classic very soon, if not already. You will take years off its life, years you'll want back some day.

Better to get a newer dual sport, something you can afford, and save your classic.

In my opinion, dual sports, especially the big ones are the standard bikes of today. Most of them are ridden on the road, many exclusively so. Like a standard, the just do lots of stuff well. Motorcycle marketing just won't accept a standard. It does not work with identity marketing.
SuperdaveOsborn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 08:27 AM   #36
markk53
jack of all trades...

I guess I will put out something of value -

Simplest lightest bike that will do the job is the trick when it comes to ease of touring that involves serious single track and unimproved roads, getting in rutted root crossed paths, and other crap.

If you want to make it some challenge to prove either that you can do it or that you're just plain foolish - or both - then do something goofy like some have mentioned. Ride an R1 across the desert and snow covered tundra, do it with a Wing or a Road King. After all, you can also motocross race a Harley or Gold Wing too, if you want and the promoter will allow it...

Oddly enough a CX500 actually makes a bit of sense - ever see how much ground clearance they have? Makes some adventure bikes jealous! I swear it had to be about 10" or more! Some good shocks and forks along with dual sport tires would put that bike firmly in the Adventure bike class.

18 or 19" front wheel, stock forks and shock length close to stock, and the bottom of the engine is nearly in-line with the axle centerline! That's ground clearance.

Mark - klx678

markk53 screwed with this post 02-05-2014 at 08:37 AM
Old 02-05-2014, 08:49 AM   #37
Grinnin
Forever N00b

Oddometer: 2,580
Quote:
Originally Posted by markk53 View Post
Simplest lightest bike that will do the job is the trick when it comes to ease of touring that involves serious single track and unimproved roads, getting in rutted root crossed paths, and other crap.

If you want to make it some challenge to prove either that you can do it or that you're just plain foolish - or both - then do something goofy like some have mentioned.
The OP asked about touring on pavement and hard-packed gravel roads. You can call standard motorcycles foolish if you misinterpret the question wildly enough, but it doesn't really address the question.

Grinnin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 10:08 AM   #38
atomicalex
silly aluminum boxes

Oddometer: 2,610
Quote:
Originally Posted by buls4evr View Post
If you live in Michigan,USA you know the answer to this one! The road surfaces, even the paved ones, are so rough that you want that extra 2 in of travel that a DS bike provides. As road maintenance goes down the tubes in this economy the desire for a big DS bike will go up.
Holy poop. I got home from three-plus years in Germany to MI and about had a heart attack. I don't need my F bike, I need a flipping dirt bike here.
Old 02-06-2014, 10:10 AM   #39
SloMo228
World Class Cheapass

Oddometer: 1,698
Quote:
Originally Posted by atomicalex View Post
Holy poop. I got home from three-plus years in Germany to MI and about had a heart attack. I don't need my F bike, I need a flipping dirt bike here.
It's particularly bad this year. It's actually better when MDOT doesn't plow and salt the roads because then the ice and snow packs into the potholes (more like craters) and smooths the road out a bit!
SloMo228 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 10:34 AM   #40
markk53
jack of all trades...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grinnin View Post
The OP asked about touring on pavement and hard-packed gravel roads. You can call standard motorcycles foolish if you misinterpret the question wildly enough, but it doesn't really address the question.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alcanfinforo View Post
What are the huge advantages to riding dual sport? For those that have taken the trip down central america.

Am I being a fool for wanting to take such a trip on an old moto that is not exactly dual sport? Again, for those that haven taken the trip mentioned. I know that at least in Colombia the locals ride 125cc "standard" motos.
How many times have you EVER seen where all the roads from North America to South America was all hard packed dry, much less paved? Seems every time I've seen anything about touring down into Central and South America there are areas where the road ways qualify for off roading if they were in the U.S.

The answer is legitimate considering the question posed.

Mark - klx678
Old 02-09-2014, 10:36 AM   #41
markk53
jack of all trades...

Quote:
Originally Posted by atomicalex View Post

Clearly you've been gone too long and forget what the pleasant wintertime can do to the roads in states like Michigan and Ohio. Makes me happy for 10" travel on the dual sport when I hit some of that heaved and potholed pavement.

Besides gotta bitch about how the state DOT takes care of the roads. It's our duty to bitch about guvmint.

Mark - klx678
Old 02-09-2014, 11:16 AM   #42
bwalsh
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,911
Quote:
Originally Posted by markk53 View Post

Oddly enough a CX500 actually makes a bit of sense - ever see how much ground clearance they have? Makes some adventure bikes jealous! I swear it had to be about 10" or more! Some good shocks and forks along with dual sport tires would put that bike firmly in the Adventure bike class.

18 or 19" front wheel, stock forks and shock length close to stock, and the bottom of the engine is nearly in-line with the axle centerline! That's ground clearance.
Pretty cool bike, but it could use a skid plate.

An inmate I know uses a CX500 as a dual sport. It's still basically stock though...

That's the best photo I have of it. He easily kept up with us on an old jeep trail. After riding with him I've been looking hard at CX500's. Water cooled, shaft drive, bullet proof reliability, what's not to love? Every now and then a nice one comes up for sale on CL.

bwalsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 11:12 AM   #43
SloMo228
World Class Cheapass

Oddometer: 1,698
Quote:
Originally Posted by bwalsh View Post

An inmate I know uses a CX500 as a dual sport. It's still basically stock though...

That's the best photo I have of it. He easily kept up with us on an old jeep trail. After riding with him I've been looking hard at CX500's. Water cooled, shaft drive, bullet proof reliability, what's not to love? Every now and then a nice one comes up for sale on CL.
I had one as my first bike, it managed to survive that abuse without issue. A little down on power compared to modern bikes but still plenty to cruise on the freeway at 70mph all day long. I started a CX650 ADV build a while back but ran out of garage space and my wife's patience, so I passed it on to my brother. He's been doing nothing with it, though, so lately I've been thinking of stealing it back....

If you were going to buy a CX with the goal of modding it to be an ADV bike, I wouldn't recommend the CX650 - 15" rear wheel gives you no DS tire options whatsoever. You can, with difficulty, modify a spoked wheel off of a VT-something to fit, but it's going to be expensive. Go with a CX500, or the GL versions of either the 500 or 650. The GLs have a mono-shock swingarm which looks nicer but might be more of a PITA to get extended travel on.
SloMo228 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 06:17 PM   #44
markk53
jack of all trades...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwalsh View Post

I'll tell you what's not to love - the performance of the engine. I rode a 78 CX a fair amount back in the mid 80s when working at a Honda dealership. Really soft. What would be cool would be to hang one of the 83 CX650 engines in the frame. They had serious power in the same basic engine. They were almost as quick as a CB650 and quicker than the first VT750 Shadows (which weren't slouches).

But still a kinda cool bike ala MotoGuzzi from Japan.

By the way, how often do you have to clean out the sewer drain on that XR650?

Mark - klx678
Old 02-10-2014, 08:37 PM   #45
dogjaw
plays well alone

Oddometer: 2,912
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShaftEd View Post
There's an old saying that the best bike for a trip, is the one in your garage.
this was my theory before taking off for Colorado on a 91 Nighthawk 750; check my ride report below.

I would do it again tomorrow...