ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Central From Da Nort Woods to the Plane States
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-05-2014, 01:10 PM   #601
rcniss
Not that way!!

Oddometer: 392
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cannonshot View Post
Earlier this year I mentioned that I approached Travel Wisconsin about promoting dual sport and adventure motorcycling is Wisconsin. Over time I was able to get an account with them so I could post some events and riding opportunities to the site to promote our recreational interest, increase our visibility and acceptance, and inform more people of riding opportunities. I will soon have an article posted to the site introducing our recreational interest there.

Here are some of the postings I have in place as of this date:

Ride for Research

Big Woods 200

Field and Forest Dual Sport

Bucky Dual Sport

Northern Wisconsin Adventure Trail

Northern Highland - American Legion Dual Sport Path

South of Wabeno Dual Sport

Lakewood Area Adventure Motorcycle Path

Flambeau Dual Sport Motorcycle Path

Conover Dual Sport

HarePare Dual Sport

I wanted to post the Trans Wisconsin Adventure Trail as well but someone went direct to TW post it before our account was in place. Looks like a business posted it. Now it is not being maintained. I will ask Chad if he wants me to adopt this under the DS and ADV listings so it doesn't disappear. Listings need to be regularly maintained so I will have to act on them to keep them alive.
As always, great job Bryan! This kind of exposure to the public will be a big plus for our sport!
rcniss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 02:27 PM   #602
Cannonshot OP
Having a Nice Time

Oddometer: 19,166
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcniss View Post
As always, great job Bryan! This kind of exposure to the public will be a big plus for our sport!
I hope so Randy. The more we tell our story, the better it is for us.
Old 02-05-2014, 03:54 PM   #603
Cannonshot OP
Having a Nice Time

The ATV association is going to support our bill. Truth be told, out of all the people I worked with on this, they were by far the most helpful. They had a lot of insight and lessons learned based on their own legislative trials and tribulations. Can't thank them enough. It is good to see us work together on matters of mutual interest. Some people in the DNR were also very helpful.

The bill is not in final form right now. We have a handful of changes that will be incorporated into the bill between the hearing and the time it will be ready for the floor. We will also pick up any changes that are required as a result of the hearing and the DNR review of the bill.
Old 02-05-2014, 04:08 PM   #604
Cannonshot OP
Having a Nice Time

Previously I talked about a couple of clubs hosting an exhibit at the Wisconsin Outdoor Expo. There is a fee involved. Still working this issue for this year.

One of my associates caught this question on the ballot for the spring hearings of the Conservation Congress in April. Looks like they want some public money to keep this thing going. Some industry grants have been getting pretty lean.

QUESTION 52. Support for the Wisconsin Outdoor Education Expo (Requires legislation)
The Wisconsin Outdoor Education Expo has been held in Dodge County each year since 2006 with more than 32,000 4th- and 5th-grade students from dozens of Wisconsin elementary schools attending each year. Students engage in many "see-touch-do" activities including archery, sporting dog demonstrations, firearm safety, fishing, trail recreation, heritage enrichment and wildlife conservation. The Outdoor Expo has received numerous accolades from students, teachers and parents and has enjoyed excellent attendance over the years. With the success of this endeavor firmly established, it appears the time is right to expand the effort statewide with funds donated by sportsmen and women for the future stability of our outdoor heritage.
Statutory precedent for voluntary funding from hunters, anglers, archers, ATV enthusiasts, boating, snowmobile and other outdoor users while applying for licenses has already been established. These include donations for combating invasive species, venison donation and for the general fish and wildlife account.
Wisconsin sportsmen and women have been most generous in support of youth programs in the past. With this initiative, the Outdoor Expo can be expanded to other areas of the state with financial support coming from the people who care most about our outdoor heritage.
52. Would you support legislation establishing a voluntary donation to support expansion of the Wisconsin Outdoor Education Expo statewide?

52. YES____
NO_____
Old 02-05-2014, 04:25 PM   #605
Hodag
native

Oddometer: 22,792
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cannonshot View Post
Earlier this year I mentioned that I approached Travel Wisconsin about promoting dual sport and adventure motorcycling is Wisconsin. Over time I was able to get an account with them so I could post some events and riding opportunities to the site to promote our recreational interest, increase our visibility and acceptance, and inform more people of riding opportunities. I will soon have an article posted to the site introducing our recreational interest there.

Here are some of the postings I have in place as of this date:

Ride for Research

Big Woods 200

Field and Forest Dual Sport

Bucky Dual Sport

Northern Wisconsin Adventure Trail

Northern Highland - American Legion Dual Sport Path

South of Wabeno Dual Sport

Lakewood Area Adventure Motorcycle Path

Flambeau Dual Sport Motorcycle Path

Conover Dual Sport

HarePare Dual Sport

I wanted to post the Trans Wisconsin Adventure Trail as well but someone went direct to TW post it before our account was in place. Looks like a business posted it. Now it is not being maintained. I will ask Chad if he wants me to adopt this under the DS and ADV listings so it doesn't disappear. Listings need to be regularly maintained so I will have to act on them to keep them alive.
makes me want to get a small trails bike
Hodag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 05:30 PM   #606
elron
Still Standing

Oddometer: 261
Thumb

Echoing praise for all this work and info Cannon man. Got the hearing on my schedule.
"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out and screaming "WOO-HOO, what a ride!!"
elron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 07:38 PM   #607
Cannonshot OP
Having a Nice Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by elron View Post
Echoing praise for all this work and info Cannon man. Got the hearing on my schedule.
Looking forward to seeing you there!
Old 02-05-2014, 07:40 PM   #608
Cannonshot OP
Having a Nice Time

I just looked at the first post in this thread FOUR YEARS AGO. This has been a long journey (and it ain't over yet).

A blast from the past, the paper I wrote in January 2009:

http://www.gldsmc.org/public/Much/OH...te_Paper_2.pdf
Old 02-06-2014, 03:29 PM   #609
Cannonshot OP
Having a Nice Time

Reminder for those that missed it.

The Off-Highway Motorcycle legislation is coming to a hearing at the Capitol on Wednesday, February 12th, in room 417N (GAR Hall). I will be coordinating some of the OHM community's participation in this hearing. We will have 1 or 2 people speak in favor of the bill, but it is very important that we have many others attend the hearing and register at the door in favor of the bill. Please attend and register in favor of the bill if you are able. Feel free to contact me if you have questions.

AB 694 https://docs.legis.wisconsin.gov/2013/proposals/ab694

PUBLIC HEARING
Committee on Natural Resources and Sporting Heritage
The committee will hold a public hearing on the following items at the time specified below:

Wednesday, February 12, 2014
10:31 AM
(Or Immediately Following the Executive Session)
417 North (GAR Hall)
Assembly Bill 694
Relating to: operation of off-highway motorcycles, granting rule-making authority, providing penalties, and making appropriations.
By Representatives Mursau, Swearingen, A. Ott, Bies, Kestell, Strachota, Krug, T. Larson, Brooks and Petryk; cosponsored by Senators Gudex and L. Taylor.
Old 02-06-2014, 05:33 PM   #610
Cannonshot OP
Having a Nice Time

Looks like the Wisconsin Outdoor Expo project I was working on isn't going to fly. The idea here was to display OHM/DS/ADV at the interactive expo for about 3,000 kids and 600 adults. It looks like the event can't meet its funding/sponsorship goals this time.

Maybe that referendum issue for a check off to raise funds to support the project will bring it back.

There is no OFFICIAL word saying it is off, but . . .
Old 02-06-2014, 09:13 PM   #611
LoJack
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,500
I'll be there on Wednesday.
LoJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 10:55 PM   #612
Cannonshot OP
Having a Nice Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoJack View Post
I'll be there on Wednesday.
Thanks. As we get closer I'll try to get an inventory of who will be there. Helps me manage things with the legislator.
Old 02-06-2014, 10:56 PM   #613
Cannonshot OP
Having a Nice Time

Here are some notes on the registration part of the bill. This is a simpler view of that. Obviously there is much more to the bill than just registration.

Registration DOES NOT refer to DOT registration (although DOT registration is relevant for street legal motorcycles).

To operate off-highway must be registered (sticker and card) unless: (pg 11-12)
-registered by a tribe or band
-exclusively used for racing on a raceway facility
-manufacturer exemption for advertising
-first full weekend in June of each year (similar to ATV free-weekend program)

Can be registered for private use if: (pg 12)
-agricultural purposes
-immediate family on land owned or leased by immediate family

Dealers must require buyers to register as appropriate. (pg 12)

Unregistered motorcycles sold by other than a dealer must be registered as appropriate when they are sold or traded. (pg 13)
Registered bikes require transfer of the registration. (pg 13)
Dealers cannot accept a bike in trade unless it is registered or exempt. (pg 13)
(Registration assists with accountability that deters theft. Motorcycles that are not able to be DOT licensed have no titles.)

Public use registration runs for two years - April 1 through March 31. $30 fee. (pg 14-15)
Private use registration does not expire. $15 fee. (pg 15)
Decal must be properly affixed, clearly visible, and maintained in legible condition on the MC. No specific location is designated due to the variety of bike configurations. (pg 14)
Duplicate fees are $5 each decal and $5 each certificate. (pg 15)

Non-Resident Trail Passes: (pg 18-19)
-properly affixed to MC and clearly visible
-ANNUAL fee of $34.25
-5-day non-resident trail pass is $19.25
-ANNUAL non-resident passes expire March 31 (same as others)
-exemption for the first full weekend in June (same as resident and ATV free weekend)

Motorcycle dealers are required to register with the DNR as MC Dealers. Two year commercial certificate with 3 decals for temporary placarding of vehicles. $90 fee. Additional decals $30 each. (pg 17)
Old 02-11-2014, 07:45 PM   #614
TimCC
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 342
I'll be at the hearing tomorrow.
TimCC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 08:11 PM   #615
Cannonshot OP
Having a Nice Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimCC View Post
I'll be at the hearing tomorrow.
Thanks Tim. Make sure you register in favor of the bill when you come in the door.