Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > The perfect line and other riding myths
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-05-2014, 12:00 PM   #61
feathered
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 188
SMH-10 and earplugs. I often turn the music off for the exciting parts. Also for the highway, where I feel like I'd have to increase the volume to a (even more) dangerous level to hear anything.
feathered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 01:38 PM   #62
Shred Head Fred
Captain Amstel

Oddometer: 53
[QUOTE=danman;23253945]

But...the absolute best earphones that I am using are the Bose 20i noise canceling earphones (http://www.bose.com/controller?url=/...ones/index.jsp) for iPhone, also made for other phones. These can be used to listen to music or make calls. They ain't cheap, but amazing, almost totally eliminating any external noise, allowing you to listen to music at 'normal' volumes. The amount of noise reduction is 'spooky'. When you are at freeway speed and switch them on it is very weird, as everything goes quiet, like the world has almost stopped.

^ My feelings exactly. In December I did a 7k ride on my GSA 1200 ADV and while I like to listen to the purr of the boxer the BOSE are like being in a sound room, they are truely amazing. I could listen for about 7 hours straight before my ear canal got sore. I might do a little shaping on the housing for a better fit because they weren't designed to fit inside a helmet. A bit of a hassle getting settled in, but for the long haul what an experience. No ringing in the evening.
Old 02-05-2014, 01:54 PM   #63
it happens
sh it happens

Oddometer: 141
Sena SMH10 works good. The speakers that came with work OK. I wear a full face helmet. The volume dial is easy to use.
it happens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 11:46 AM   #64
BCJC
Adventurer

Oddometer: 58
what about a "remote control" for the ipod etc, mounted to the handlebars for volume, next track, pause, etc? anyone have a reccomendation?
BCJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 02:24 PM   #65
KirkN
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 404
Quote:
Originally Posted by rider33 View Post
sustained wind noise, much less music loud enough to be heard over it will damage your hearing. What you need to do (whether listening to music or not) is to bring it (the wind noise) down, which ear plugs and (not 'or') a good full-face helmet will do.

If then you want to listen to music during the boring bits, substitute good noise isolating (a.k.a. noise cancelling) ear speakers for the ear plugs & run them off an iPod or phone (source of yer music doesn't really matter - it's how / where the music gets to your ears relative to the source of the outside noise, ie wind).

At the moment I use Weston UM1's, good low profile (so they fit under a helmet), high isolation ear speakers with very neutral sound.

This (fixed).

Wind noise alone, even in a "quiet" helmet, will lead to hearing loss.

Any music (or phone or radio or whatever) you listen to must come BETWEEN your ears and the wind noise, not from OVER it.
KirkN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 02:04 AM   #66
hippiebrian
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,090
I never got listening to music when riding.

I crank the stereo when I'm driving because I HATE FREAKING DRIVING and it distracts me from how much fun I'm not having.

I listen to the ipod on my bicycle, but usually only after 40 or so miles and I'm tired. The music helps keep my mind off of how tired I am.

I never have listened to music when riding, nor has it tempted me because I love riding, so music is not necessary. And I love music!

That said, I really should probably start wearing ear plugs. I'm over 50 and have probably, between work, playing in a rock band when I was younger, and riding for 40 years (a lot of those years helmetless like a dummy), I probably have done enough damage to my hearing and should mitigate any more.
hippiebrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 07:35 PM   #67
Uncle Pollo
happy cachiporra

Oddometer: 47,473
wrap around earbuds

block windnoise and listen to tunes
Uncle Pollo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 07:48 PM   #68
steveWFL
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,343
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryH View Post
While I often listen to music in the car, I NEVER do it on a bike. Not only is it distracting, but for me it ruins the ride. I now wear earplugs for every ride, and have been for some time. I wish now I had been doing it longer. Inever understood why someone would want to mess up a nice ride with music or any other audio.
Quote:
Originally Posted by waveydavey View Post
That's because you are stupid JerryH. That's why you don't understand a lot of things.
'99 ZX9R - because I like the other one so much
'08 ZZR600 minty
steveWFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 08:28 PM   #69
Aonarch
Adventurer

Oddometer: 42
I have to listen to music while riding. I have a full face AGV helmet and I use low profile ear buds.
Old 02-10-2014, 09:42 PM   #70
jgiacobbe
Skid plate tester

Oddometer: 2,123
Smh5-fm with earplugs. Tried Loss and Etys. Once I moved away from my cheap skull candy inked buds that did nothing to reduce wind noise, I had problems with everything else hurting the ear canal. Since going to the 5-FM, I'll never go back to ear buds under a helmet. Plugs go in ears and I can hear the speakers just fine. Volume, play from phone or FM all right thereon the left side of the helmet. Can easily move to the next/previous track just fine. I tercom works pretty good too. I don't like talking on phone while riding, so I set it to not VOX answer.

It is just way simpler. No cords to run or to catch and pull an ear bud out an hour from my next planned stop. No trying to fumble to iopod nano control in my pocket. The nano now just lives in the console of my car.
jgiacobbe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 12:04 PM   #71
Dismount
Boring bastard

Oddometer: 9,064
Something in my ear drives me nuts. I can deal with it for about 10 minutes before my ear begins to hurt.

I'd love to find a solution that would let me listen though.
Old 02-16-2014, 12:14 PM   #72
toddiscdn
Take off, EH!

Oddometer: 1,006
Quote:
Originally Posted by BCJC View Post
what about a "remote control" for the ipod etc, mounted to the handlebars for volume, next track, pause, etc? anyone have a reccomendation?

http://www.buyijet.com/

I have had one of these for a couple years and it works great(4th gen nano), have it tethered to my tank bag very handy.

They have a few different models, this waterproof one is what I have and its held up well, never been off the bike rain or shine.

http://www.buyijet.com/remotes/inav-...te-ijet-4.html

Cheers, Todd
toddiscdn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 01:58 PM   #73
BCJC
Adventurer

Oddometer: 58
^^^ Ha. That's good news cause I ordered one a few days ago!

Cheers
BCJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 01:59 PM   #74
KoolBreeze
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 608
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryH View Post
While I often listen to music in the car, I NEVER do it on a bike. Not only is it distracting, but for me it ruins the ride. I now wear earplugs for every ride, and have been for some time. I wish now I had been doing it longer. Inever understood why someone would want to mess up a nice ride with music or any other audio.
too each their own.

the right music can easily accompany or even accentuate the right ride.

if it is distracting or possibly annoying (this is a mood thing) I change it or just turn it off entirely.

as anything, it's another tool in the kit of life. use it accordingly.

to answer the OP question.... SMH-10 with custom drivers/speakers (ok, not "custom"... different than those that came with smh-10.)

supposedly the drivers for the Koss KTX Pro1 headphones are the same as some dedicated motorcycle helmet speakers. idk if this is true, but they are cheap headphones to be destroyed for the purpose. to this end... I expect there are numerous headphones that could be donors for the cause.

the current helmet is a RPHA-Max... don't know what the actual helmet matters, but it's a modular which is really more the issue. I can't imagine using a helmet that isn't. they are all around helmets that keep taking a drink of water, looking at a map, fiddling with * or most any other basic task the simple straightforward process they should be instead of a major time consuming undertaking. (never mind the internal sun visor aspect that a few other types now have also. sunsets... flip it up. no need to pull over and change shields)

Bluetooth connection to iPhone. for music and various uses. as helmet, headset/speakers and music selection, I think the phone itself is a personal choice. listening to music... is not so much. although I find at times it can be a bother, in general either music , podcasts and talk shows I find to increase my attentiveness during particular rides. (droning long distance rides can otherwise be boring and attentiveness diminished)

KoolBreeze screwed with this post 02-16-2014 at 03:28 PM
KoolBreeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 02:24 PM   #75
TheRoss
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 329
I always listen to music because I think music rocks! And so I think you people should listen to music too! And if you don't, yer stoooped.

I use the buyijet iPod changer mentioned above, and it works well. I usually have it in the map pocket on my tank bag, so I don't have to worry about it should the rains start.

If I am on a trip using the Sena (SMH-10), I listen to music through my iPhone, which stays on a charger in my tank bag. The iPhone is Bluetooth so there are fewer wires than using a straight iPod. I use earplugs rather than the Sena helmet speakers in my Arai full face helmets.

For earplugs I only use plugs molded to my ears... iPlugz Sports Monitors from E.A.R./Insta-Mold. Expensive, but awesome products and customer service.

TheRoss screwed with this post 02-16-2014 at 02:37 PM
TheRoss is offline   Reply With Quote