Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-05-2014, 06:36 PM   #4261
Homey
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 596
Quote:
Originally Posted by windmill View Post
"Professional bicyclists" should have been a clue.

Whenever I see a cyclist in full Lance Drugstrong regalia, a sport bike with rider in full "leathers" or a tricked out sports car, I give them a wider margin as that tends to be an indication of a type A driver/rider who can be aggressive and unpredictable.
I know we all do this but really. The "Drugstrong regalia" is kind of offensive. Can you really tell the difference between me in my "Team JDRF" jersey and shorts and someone in full "Team Radioshack" regalia? To be perfectly honest, it's usually not the seasoned sports riders who tend to be the ones demanding the lane etc. Usually it's the commuter or person who's had run-in's with cars who become more aggressive about possessing the lane. In fact, all of the people I personally know who are bicycle activists have been hit by cars.
Homey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 07:01 PM   #4262
windmill
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,084
Quote:
Originally Posted by Homey View Post
I know we all do this but really. The "Drugstrong regalia" is kind of offensive.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridge
I'll agree they put us on high alert but to categorize them in a demeaning way serves zero positive purpose. To label roadies as "Lance Drugstrong" justifiably rubs us the wrong way.
Ironically I have been spending a lot of time lurking on cycling forums, and picked up "Lance Drugstrong" there, It seemed to be used as a euphemism implying a cyclist who pretends to be a competitive cyclist but isn't.

I did not mean it to be directed at all roadies, but those cyclists who like some drivers and riders, take on a faux racing affectation, and act it out on the street. Obviously I misunderstood its meaning or usage and managed to put my foot in my mouth.

I would like to apoligize to Gummie, Ridge, Homey, and any others who took it as a slight to dedicated sport cycling enthusiasts, that was not my intention.
Old 02-05-2014, 07:23 PM   #4263
Homey
Studly Adventurer

I appreciate the apology. To be honest, that really didn't seem to be in character with something you'd normally say. I also wouldn't be surprised if you did see that on a cycling forum. You might be surprised to know that there prejudiced cyclists (just like the rest of us). Oh, yeah, it's true! The commuter thinks all roadie's are doped and the roadies think the mtn bikers are fakers..blah, blah blah. Reminds me of the old song that goes something like this:
Ooooohhhhh, the Catholics hate the Protestants and the Protestants hate the Catholics, the Hindu's hate the Muslim's and everyone hates the jews...Yes, it's national brotherhood week...
Old 02-05-2014, 08:11 PM   #4264
melville
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,396
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Bamboo View Post
Here's one for you. It's tourist season here in the islands, and the roads are crawling with professional bicyclists left over from some triathlon or other. I was coming down a long stretch towards a z bend and there was a bicyclist in front of me in the middle of the lane. There were cars coming up the hill as we entered the first turn, so I gave him a little beep of my horn to let him know I was there. He turned around to look at me and pulled towards the shoulder, so I leaned in to pass him on the apex in the next left hand turn. At the last moment he swerved into the apex in front of me and I had to brake to avoid hitting him. Missed him by about a foot as it was. I shouted MORON! and left him in the dust...
Yes, MORON (not Moran, this one) was the correct diagnosis.

If you were catching him on your old Airhead, he had no need to use a 'racing' line.
Call me Mel. Some years ago- never mind how long precisely- having little or no money in my purse, and nothing particular to interest me at home, I thought I would ride about a little and see the other parts of the world. It is a way I have of driving off the spleen and regulating the circulation.
melville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 08:17 PM   #4265
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer: 27,838
Quote:
Originally Posted by melville View Post
Yes, MORON (not Moran, this one) was the correct diagnosis.

If you were catching him on your old Airhead, he had no need to use a 'racing' line.
Ummm kay. I'll bite. How hard is it exactly to catch someone on a bicycle when you have bigger tires, more suspension, and more power?

M
Old 02-05-2014, 08:36 PM   #4266
windmill
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homey View Post
I appreciate the apology. To be honest, that really didn't seem to be in character with something you'd normally say. I also wouldn't be surprised if you did see that on a cycling forum. You might be surprised to know that there prejudiced cyclists (just like the rest of us). Oh, yeah, it's true! The commuter thinks all roadie's are doped and the roadies think the mtn bikers are fakers..blah, blah blah. Reminds me of the old song that goes something like this:
Ooooohhhhh, the Catholics hate the Protestants and the Protestants hate the Catholics, the Hindu's hate the Muslim's and everyone hates the jews...Yes, it's national brotherhood week...
Well, turnabout's fair play........let me give you all the ammunition you need.

I'm building a classic 3 speed "gentlemans roadster" based on a Chinese Flying Pigeon PA-02. Still waiting on the bike itself, a rear rim, led conversion kit for the lights, Brooks B33 saddle, and a few other odds and ends.

Yes, those are cream colored delta cruiser tires from Schwalbe.......

To add a little more fuel to the fire, because of the typical conditions here in Seattle, I purchased a pair of L.L.Bean Maine hunting shoes for my "riding shoes". I'm sure I will be an object of mirth for many serious cyclists, but I'm used to it being a Ural rider and I'm secure in my manhood, so laugh away, its all good.
Old 02-05-2014, 08:51 PM   #4267
Homey
Studly Adventurer

You won't get any grief from me. I'm a run what you brung kind of guy. Of course, I'm not a serious rider. I only ride 10,000miles or so a year. Sounds like a fun project. I like the yellow tire, nice touch.
Old 02-05-2014, 08:52 PM   #4268
melville
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,396
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gummee! View Post
Ummm kay. I'll bite. How hard is it exactly to catch someone on a bicycle when you have bigger tires, more suspension, and more power?

M
I've caught MCs on both my old crit bike and my Vitus. The limits of a well ridden bicycle are not that different than an MC. I know YOU know this. Big Bamboo's MORON had no need of the 'racing' line if he was being caught by an old guy (BB) on a slow MC.
Call me Mel. Some years ago- never mind how long precisely- having little or no money in my purse, and nothing particular to interest me at home, I thought I would ride about a little and see the other parts of the world. It is a way I have of driving off the spleen and regulating the circulation.
melville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 08:54 PM   #4269
Big Bamboo
Aircooled & Sunbaked

Oddometer: 3,031
Quote:
Not hard at all when they are doing 20mph in the middle of a road with a posted speed limit of 45mph...
Big Bamboo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 09:05 PM   #4270
windmill
Beastly Adventurer

Damn,
I got stuffed by a roadie right in front of my own house.

But I was riding my Ural, and slowing to go up the driveway............

And the farker didn't announce his pass........
Old 02-05-2014, 10:28 PM   #4271
StoneAgeMan
Wanderer

Oddometer: 708
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridge View Post
If he moved to the shoulder in a left-hander, is it possible he was just setting up for the turn... same as you would? I often set-up for turns by adjusting my line, weighting pedals, looking through the turn... etc. He might have acknowledged your presence but figured (as I probably would) that an attempt to pass would not be made in a curve. Too sketchy and not enough room should the situation go pear-shaped.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Bamboo View Post
I assumed because he moved right that he was getting out of the way. So, as a bicyclist, do you swerve in front of overtaking traffic because you assume they know about your technique? Good luck with that...
I've been riding a bicycle twice a week to work for a few years now (hour-long trip one way). I actually signal those sorts of lane positions (e.g. over a foot in a left turn) that I'm going to do. I'll drop my left arm almost straight down (since it was on the handlebars, of course), curve the wrist, and point over with my index finger. I'll waggle that 2-3 times while setting up for the move.

This technique actually seems to work fairly well with most folks. I do this signal when they're about 2.4 seconds away from passing me, that's about the time I want them putting on the brake if I'm having to stay where I am.

I don't do this "move left a bit" adjustment capriciously and it's sort of but not so much to "setup for the corner". On a long left curve, like one finds out there, the cars tend to be crossing the double yellow (see other thread for flaming that). So what happens to the outside of that left? It get's all nasty and rocky.

Now I'm moving along at about 22mph (~33fps) up there. At 30+ feet a second, I'm not going to ride on gravel on the outside edge of a left turn! You guys have said "Just get some 'real' tires". Well I've got them, Schwabe (I think), big, gummy, thick, and relatively puncture resistant.

But I'm *NOT* going to ride on gravel at that speed on the outside of a turn (sorry for the repeat). So yes, I'm over where others might not expect me. So yes, I signal (and have blinky lights on at all times!), and I've been known to move over before I "have to". I move over early to indicate to the folks behind what's happening, I'm not going to run up into something like that blind.

I have actully practiced NOT looking back when it has become "too late" for me to really yield any more of the lane. I have a mirror and I use it. But some folks do seem to think that face contact from in front (by head rotation) "must" mean the initiator of that contact is yielding. All it really means is that they had an opportunity to observe at least your current position (but probably not your speed nor your intentions).

StoneAge Man
StoneAgeMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 06:36 AM   #4272
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer: 27,838
I give you the Hovenring

Only the Dutch...

Basically, its an elevated traffic circle for bicycles. Get em out of the intersection. Presumably, its a busy intersection.

Neat idea that probably won't ever fly here.
Old 02-06-2014, 06:46 AM   #4273
Ridge
Hustle and Cuss

Oddometer: 1,561
Quote:
Originally Posted by windmill View Post
Well, turnabout's fair play........let me give you all the ammunition you need.

I'm building a classic 3 speed "gentlemans roadster" based on a Chinese Flying Pigeon PA-02. Still waiting on the bike itself, a rear rim, led conversion kit for the lights, Brooks B33 saddle, and a few other odds and ends.

Yes, those are cream colored delta cruiser tires from Schwalbe.......

To add a little more fuel to the fire, because of the typical conditions here in Seattle, I purchased a pair of L.L.Bean Maine hunting shoes for my "riding shoes". I'm sure I will be an object of mirth for many serious cyclists, but I'm used to it being a Ural rider and I'm secure in my manhood, so laugh away, its all good.
Put this over in the shiny things thread and you'll get much better traction with some helpful feedback and input. Good luck with the build!

Quote:
I give you the Hovenring

Only the Dutch...

Basically, its an elevated traffic circle for bicycles. Get em out of the intersection. Presumably, its a busy intersection.

Awesome!
Ridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 08:21 AM   #4274
filmfan
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 568
Quote:
...The Hovenring
Only the Dutch...

Looks very cool, as well as a very functional approach.
Yeah, only if h*** freezes over would it fly here.

Windmill, looks like a neat project, would like to see more of it…
filmfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 02:26 PM   #4275
Warin
Retired

Oddometer: 1,761
The hovenring would also take pedestrians too..

Would need a cage around it though .. to stop idiots throwing rocks at the cars ..

Warin is offline   Reply With Quote