Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-03-2014, 03:13 PM   #1
filmfan OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 493
Vehicle to Vehicle communications for Safety

Definite mixed feelings about this;

US DOT has been studying V2V comm systems that will allow vehicles to to keep tabs on each other.
Read about it here;
http://www.its.dot.gov/research/v2v.htm

I sure hope aftermarket boxes are available, 'cause I don't want to be riding a moto without a transponder in the midst of a bunch of drivers who figure they don't need to pay any attention to what's going on around them because the computer will warn them.

OTH, if it could eliminate or greatly reduce SMDSY's, I'd be all for it.

What are people's thoughts on the pros and cons of this? I can see benefits for bikes if the bike can transmit it's position to the cars nearby. What about cars telling the bike about their presence? At stop lights, for example? Yes, WE'RE supposed to be paying attention too, but sometimes attention slips.

Do you see benefits for car to bike V2V?
filmfan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 01:14 PM   #2
tommysmothers
Flamesuit equipped

Oddometer: 195
Quote:
Originally Posted by filmfan View Post

I sure hope aftermarket boxes are available, 'cause I don't want to be riding a moto without a transponder in the midst of a bunch of drivers who figure they don't need to pay any attention to what's going on around them because the computer will warn them.
I thought of the same thing this morning.

"I don't have to look at the road cuz my car takes care of it for me"

I'd rather we went straight to driverless cars.
tommysmothers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 08:30 AM   #3
MotoTex
Miles of Smiles

Oddometer: 1,555
Quote:
Originally Posted by tommysmothers View Post
I'd rather we went straight to driverless cars.
I'm thinking that has already happened, and this is the crux of the problem ...

This is The Internet. Confirm for yourself anything you may see while visiting this strange and uncertain land.

MotoTex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 09:57 AM   #4
dwoodward
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,807
Also retrofit to every deer, cow, buffalo, dog, cat, squirrel, pedestrian, crocodile, kangaroo, bicyclist, and truck tire carcass that might be found on a roadway. Then throw in the random slamming on brakes for no reason factor, GPS losing signal (usually at the end of a compounding GPS margin of error), someone's sensors get blocked from road debris or smashed bugs...

And do it all at once, because a mix of some have it, some don't could get really ugly.
dwoodward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 10:13 AM   #5
MADurstewitz
MADMark

Oddometer: 159
Quote:
Originally Posted by filmfan View Post
Definite mixed feelings about this;

US DOT has been studying V2V comm systems that will allow vehicles to to keep tabs on each other.
Read about it here;
http://www.its.dot.gov/research/v2v.htm

OTH, if it could eliminate or greatly reduce SMDSY's, I'd be all for it.

What are people's thoughts on the pros and cons of this? I can see benefits for bikes if the bike can transmit it's position to the cars nearby. What about cars telling the bike about their presence? At stop lights, for example? Yes, WE'RE supposed to be paying attention too, but sometimes attention slips.

Do you see benefits for car to bike V2V?
Since the security on this technology is laughable, I'd avoid it like the plague. It's 802.11. Basically a wireless LAN. If it also acts as a router to transmit information elsewhere "for your safety" it will probably be pretty easy to hack. Even more so if you can't change the admin password, which is always posted on the web somewhere.

As an example, the system for monitoring tire pressure runs on bluetooth and has been shown to be incredibly easy to hack from as far away as 100 meters. Once they're in, it doesn't take much to play with things like lights, wipers, engine speed, brakes, anything else the computer controls . . .

You can be sure some geek will find a way in and play with it. Maybe even the NSA if its a foreign car as they are busy hacking companies like Siemens for trade secrets our pharma industry can use.
Old 02-05-2014, 05:50 PM   #6
KeithinSC
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,163
I wonder how the system will react when two vehicles on an intercept course that look like they will collide...but one is on a surface road and the other is on the overpass?

And our Government wants this in place by 2016??? Most manufacturers can't even approve a new color in 3 years
KeithinSC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 06:06 PM   #7
jgiacobbe
Skid plate tester

Oddometer: 1,994
Frankly this scare the crap out of me. Auto manufacturers are notoriously bad at securing electronic systems that have any kind of software. Also since it is pretty much an open system by design it wouldn't be hard to build a transmitter unit with specious info for the purposes of gaming the system or using it to cause mayhem. I'm all for safety but most of the driving aids have had all most no effect on safety. They just become on more thing to make everyone's most deadly activity require less attention. Doesn't matter if you are not paying attention, the car will stop for you. Truthfully in the US we just need to do what we can to subsidize mass transit. With efficient mass transit, the only people driving are the ones who want to be, and they tend to be slightly more engaged.
jgiacobbe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 02:35 AM   #8
claude512
Adventurer

Oddometer: 24
How about having people take actual real driving lessons?! you know, like actually teach them driving...

sometimes you guys over the pond have things completely backwards
claude512 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 03:33 AM   #9
Maggot12
U'mmmm yeaah!!

Oddometer: 2,963
I've used a two way radio which is hooked into my autocom and chatted with my kids on another radio in a nearby vehicle..

It was fun.

Don't sweat the petty things; Pet the sweaty things !!!
Maggot12 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 08:31 AM   #10
machinebuilder
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 998
Lets introduce something else to society

PERSONAL RESPONSIBILITY

George Orwell was only a few years off.
Old 02-06-2014, 01:19 PM   #11
Gripsteruser
Service Monkey

Oddometer: 563
I predict-

First implementation will be for the cops to query your ECU for speed history.........

And then to accept the command for graceful shutdown so you pull over for your ticket.

Seems like a blue sky idea with more pitfalls in implementation than reasons it'll work.
Gripsteruser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 01:35 PM   #12
Anonawesome
Scenic Rider

Oddometer: 1,193
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gripsteruser View Post
I predict-

First implementation will be for the cops to query your ECU for speed history.........

And then to accept the command for graceful shutdown so you pull over for your ticket.

Seems like a blue sky idea with more pitfalls in implementation than reasons it'll work.
And then comes checkpoints.....

-"I wouldn't trade one stupid decision for another five years of life."
Anonawesome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 02:00 PM   #13
deacon51
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 329
Oh, its goanna happen. It's just a matter of time. The Government would love take control of your car away from you while you’re on a public road. You know... for safety, or the environment, or efficiency, or "the children”, or national security, or anti-terrorism. Whichever issue you support.

My only hope is that when they add in the ability for the cops to auto-pull over your car that someone builds a system for bikes that causes cars to move to the right when I come up behind them.

To tell the truth, my wife have a 2012 Ford Explorer and it has a collision avoidance system, that is very intrusive at times. This will just be another vector for data input into this system.

(True Story!) It's kind of cool to use the active cruise control and the lane assist monitor. The thing will stay in the lane and stay a set distance from the car in front automatically. The only down side is if you try and watch a movie on your cell phone while driving it dings and flashes a warning that you should get a cup of coffee.
deacon51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 03:24 PM   #14
zuker13
n00b

Oddometer: 5
my car talks to your car and tells it to get the hell out of way?? what if it's a female car talking to a manly car. that's really gonna work.
safety huh? first get rid of cell phones for drivers. i know there's laws written for that and it's really working.
how about a device that kills a phone in a car? that makes more sense.
zuker13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 04:40 PM   #15
Mesjr
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 111
Next they will be mailing you speeding tickets because your car will inform authorities that you are exceeding posted speed limits. All the technology is there , the gps knows your location and the posted speed limit .
Mesjr is offline   Reply With Quote