User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-06-2014, 10:58 AM   #1
poondangle OP
Slow

Oddometer: 1,082
Ls2 mx442

I've been searching for another helmet. I wanted a dedicated off-road only helmet so my XD4 would not take a beating. I wear the XD4, not because its the most expensive helmet, but because its the most comfortable helment I've ever owned. Arai's quality and fit and attention to detail is pretty well documented. I really do love that helmet. I have an oval head, that, for me, is hard to find a helmet that fits.

Anyway, I can't afford another Arai helmet, so I went searching for something a bit less expensive. I don't mind sacrificing on all the Arai amenities, to get a reasonably good helment and an affordable price. Its going to be beat up a bit anyways. My head just won't take HJC (thats the price range I wanted to be in). I just can't wear one of those. Other inmates suggested massaging the foam to make a better fir, but I just didn't feel comfortable doing that.

I contacted LS2, inmate Phil_Ammendolia, about their fit. He suggested that I try the LS2 MX442, as Atomic Moto was running a really good deal on them. I checked it out. That helmet normally runs in the $130 range. I got mine at Atomic Moto for $77 plus shipping, $87.74 to my door. For that amount of money, I'll take it and try it. If it doesn't work, then I'm not crying over $77!!! Here's my initial impressions:

***Note Phil warned me to make sure I ordered one size smaller than I normally wear. I usually wear a medium so I ordered a small***

1. This thing is as ugly a helmet as I've ever seen. But then again, I'm one of the ugliest people you'll ever meet, so its a wash. Seriously, I think the graphics are a horror show. But, it was $77, so who cares right.

2. Phil was right about the size, the small fits, and I doubt a medium would.

3. It does have a nice long oval shape. I do have to squeeze it by my fat cheeks, but I would say the fit is better than I would have expected for $77. I wore it around the office for about a half hour, until my assistant started to question my sanity. No forehead pain. It is tight on the cheeks, but I'm sure that will work out a bit over time. I don't have goggle with me, I'll try those tonight.

4. WOW THIS THING IS SUPER LIGHT WEIGHT!!!!!!! I hope that doesn't mean its light in the protection department. It shouldn't be, its DOT and ECE R22.05 (whatever that means). This thing is really light weight.

5. The liner material isn't Arai material, but its as good as any HJC I've owned. I also owned an AFX, and the liner material is better than that.

6. Overall, the fit and finish is pretty OK, definitely better than I would expect for $77. I would say its comparable to the last HJC I owned and tossed 'cause it didn't fit.

Here's some pictures. I will take it out for a ride and keep updating this thread as I put miles on it. Initially though, I would say its a winner, and I would purchase again. Hopefully with better graphics.

[IMG]
Untitled by Poondangle, on Flickr[/IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

poondangle screwed with this post 02-15-2014 at 05:11 PM
poondangle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 12:30 PM   #2
bomber60015
Anatomically Correct

Oddometer: 8,642
Sweet tapdancing Jeebus but that thing is, er, ehem, unique looking!

I hope it fulfills every other need you have . . . . .

Given it's looks, and the price, I just gotta ask . . . . . .KLR or VStrom?
"Here is your country. Cherish these natural wonders, cherish the natural resources, cherish the history and romance as a sacred heritage, for your children and your children's children. Do not let selfish men or greedy interests skin your country of its beauty, its riches or its romance. T.R.
bomber60015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 12:47 PM   #3
poondangle OP
Slow

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomber60015 View Post
Sweet tapdancing Jeebus but that thing is, er, ehem, unique looking!

I hope it fulfills every other need you have . . . . .

Given it's looks, and the price, I just gotta ask . . . . . .KLR or VStrom?
ktm and bmw But I can swear on a bible I've only ever been in 1 starbucks in my entire life
Old 02-06-2014, 02:33 PM   #4
2 SPOT
wannabe

Oddometer: 2,730
plasti dip will fix that,,, but frankenstein might miss his new boyfriend.
2 SPOT is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 02:37 PM   #5
GB
Mod Squad

Oddometer: 55,380
I've spent big bucks on Schuberth helmets and ended up settling on LS2 helmets for all day comfort. ECE and DOT approved and full featured and great prices.
Old 02-06-2014, 02:56 PM   #6
poondangle OP
Slow

I probably would have bought the mx456, but I couldn't ignore the deal Atomic Moto has going
Old 02-06-2014, 07:44 PM   #7
Phil_Ammendolia
No Guz No Glory

Oddometer: 163
Quote:
Originally Posted by poondangle View Post

2. Phil was right about the size, the small fits, and I doubt a medium would.

3. It does have a nice long oval shape. I do have to squeeze it by my fat cheeks, but I would say the fit is better than I would have expected for $77. I wore it around the office for about a half hour, until my assistant started to question my sanity. No forehead pain. It is tight on the cheeks, but I'm sure that will work out a bit over time. I don't have goggle with me, I'll try those tonight.

4. WOW THIS THING IS SUPER LIGHT WEIGHT!!!!!!! I hope that doesn't mean its light in the protection department. It shouldn't be, its DOT and ECE R22.05 (whatever that means). This thing is really light weight.

Hey poondangle,

Thanks for the review. Glad it fit and happy to hear my sizing experience was right for you.

The lightweight is because of the type of layup and the pre-preg fiberglass we use. The ECE standard is the Euro standard. It's what our Dakar team riders use. I weighed a medium on an electronic scale and it was 2.46 pounds. I've raced in one of these and I'd let my kid wear one without worry.

PLEASE NOTE ABOUT SIZE: The MX442 is the ONLY full face helmet in our lineup that runs large. I normally wear a medium and with the 442, I wear a small. The MX456 (Dakar helmet) is a little snug, but most people wear their typical size. As mentioned, my typical size is a medium and I wear a medium MX456.

Thanks again for the feedback. Keep me posted.
Phil_Ammendolia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 02:20 AM   #8
poondangle OP
Slow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil_Ammendolia View Post
Hey poondangle,

Thanks for the review. Glad it fit and happy to hear my sizing experience was right for you.

The lightweight is because of the type of layup and the pre-preg fiberglass we use. The ECE standard is the Euro standard. It's what our Dakar team riders use. I weighed a medium on an electronic scale and it was 2.46 pounds. I've raced in one of these and I'd let my kid wear one without worry.

PLEASE NOTE ABOUT SIZE: The MX442 is the ONLY full face helmet in our lineup that runs large. I normally wear a medium and with the 442, I wear a small. The MX456 (Dakar helmet) is a little snug, but most people wear their typical size. As mentioned, my typical size is a medium and I wear a medium MX456.

Thanks again for the feedback. Keep me posted.
That's a much better looking graphics package
Old 02-28-2014, 05:22 AM   #9
poondangle OP
Slow

I finally had the chance to wear the mx442 helmet for some serious hours yesterday. I wore it from around 9am to 6pm, only breaking for lunch. Mostly off-road, with a few short road sections. High speed stuff and low speed stuff.

First, it fits as good as my Arai. No question about that. It was more comfortable by the end of the day because it is so much lighter. I had very little neck fatigue.

It fit fine with my Scott goggles. I wear contacts mostly, but I did try wearing my glasses. It is hard to get my wire framed glasses into the helmet. The ear pads didn't want to cooperate there. My Arai wins in that department.

At speeds over 75, the peak did feel a bit like a kite. I will adjust it's position today. It was surprisingly quiet at speed though. I was very surprised

All in all, so far, I give it an A. I'll race (well, as slow as I am, that's a relative statement) Sandblast rally Saturday. I'll give another update then.
Old 02-28-2014, 05:36 AM   #10
SidewinderX
Hey, watch this!

Oddometer: 1,133
I recieved a helmet just like yours in a bike trade a year ago. I have worn it quite a few times and love everything about it.
Old 03-31-2014, 05:02 AM   #11
poondangle OP
Slow

Just wanted to update this review. I've got about 600 miles on the helmet now. I've done one rally in it, as well as just some putting around. During the rally, I purposefully kept the helmet on all day, taking it off for only a couple of brief periods. I was in that helmet from 5:30 AM to well past 10 PM. I've got dozens of miles at 85+ MPH offroad as well as lots of slow stuff. The one condition I haven't ridden in is warm weather. But, since on the east coast, its pretty obvious winter will never end, I guess a warm weather report would be useless anyway.

So far this helmet has exceeded my every expectation. (graphics aside) Its super light weight is a real advantage when wearing this thing all day. i get no neck and/or back fatigue whatsoever. I wouldn't commute in it, just because I like the weather protection offered by my XD4. It vents pretty well, I can actually feel the air moving across the top of my head, which I usually can't feel in most helmets. Moral of the story so far, I would highly recommend this helmet. If summer ever comes, I'll update this review.
Old 05-09-2014, 08:39 AM   #12
cpallen
Nearly Adventurer

Oddometer: 900
Mx442

I'm in the market for a dual sport helmet and this MX442 looks great. I really like my FF386 and OF569. The FF386 in size large fits me perfectly, while the OF569 is rounder and smaller so much so that the XL needs some breaking in (still) before it will be comfortable. I originally bought a large, and then Phil helped me get an XL liner.

So then - Phil, for my oval head should I order the MX442 in Medium?

Thanks in advance.
cpallen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 11:43 AM   #13
poondangle OP
Slow

I wear a medium in every brand I've ever owned. For the 442, I wear a small, and it fits me perfectly. For the money, the 442 can't be beat.
Old 05-09-2014, 01:31 PM   #14
cpallen
Nearly Adventurer

Oddometer: 900
Quote:
Originally Posted by poondangle View Post
I wear a medium in every brand I've ever owned. For the 442, I wear a small, and it fits me perfectly. For the money, the 442 can't be beat.
Thanks for the confirmation on the sizing - I'll order a medium! I also have a Arai oval head and if you are in the market for a modular (ala Schuberth) I can heartily recommend the LS2 FF386.
cpallen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 01:44 PM   #15
poondangle OP
Slow

My daily "ride" is an Arai XD4. I just use the ls2 off-road. Now, I don't want to give the impression this helmet is as good as my Arai, but for the money I spent, it far exceeded my expectations. I find the fit very similar to my Arai. And the ultra lightweight is just icing on the cake. Of course, this is just one man's opinion, YMMV.