Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-06-2014, 05:06 AM   #46
Tuna Helper
Rawrr!

Oddometer: 712
Quote:
Originally Posted by mongox View Post
Trailer
Ramp up onto the trailer, then ramp from the trailer to the bed.

I always either push it up if I have to, or walk alongside in first gear if possible. I've only had one incident, I was unloading from a trailer and using some HF ramps. The ramp was upside down so the flanges would act as a guide and hopefully keep the wheels from rolling or sliding off. Only they didn't. Just about when both wheels were on the ramp I let go of the brake to let gravity do it's thing, and halfway down the front wheel rolled over the lip and off the ramp. Not so much of a big deal, it was about a foot off the ground and I kept the bike upright, but the ramp was taco'd.

I've backed the truck up to a ditch (a good ditch and the tailgate will be just about level) and rolled them in and out, I've pulled the tailgate off and used it for a ramp. (prepare for paint damage) When I bought my Buell the guy had it loaded in the back of his truck, then I backed mine up to his and we rolled from one to the other.

Ir you could find a hill and a ramp.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t1C8CdWrkIQ
Tuna Helper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 05:31 PM   #47
GordoS
Pawn in game of life

Oddometer: 117
Full width ramp and trailer

Risk management as the Air Force calls it. The consequences of having my 1200 GS,or even my 450 XCW, fall if I were riding it up a ramp trumps any convenience of riding it up.

I have both a single skinny ramp I bought as my first ramp because it was all the store had, and later got a ramp that is full width of the truck bed. There is room to walk beside the bike with the large ramp. Even then, I have ended up with a trailer because it is just easier to maneuver bikes around when you can step on and off the trailer.
Old 02-07-2014, 05:11 AM   #48
jeffjones
"offroad shit"

Oddometer: 157
Quote:
Originally Posted by GordoS View Post
Risk management as the Air Force calls it. The consequences of having my 1200 GS,or even my 450 XCW, fall if I were riding it up a ramp trumps any convenience of riding it up.

I have both a single skinny ramp I bought as my first ramp because it was all the store had, and later got a ramp that is full width of the truck bed. There is room to walk beside the bike with the large ramp. Even then, I have ended up with a trailer because it is just easier to maneuver bikes around when you can step on and off the trailer.
by risk management standards you shouldn't even be riding the motorcycles at all.
Old 02-07-2014, 10:23 AM   #49
High Country Herb
Adventure Connoiseur

Oddometer: 6,626
I wiped out once doing that. I was riding an XL250 up a 6" ramp, and went too fast. I got on the brakes once in the truck, but wet tires and bedliners don't go well together. Ended up laying the bike down, with my shin on the sharp peg, giving me a 2" gash to the bone. I still have a nice scar to prove it.

The best one I watched was a seasoned logger with a chain saw strapped to the back of his XR600. Just as I slowed to ask if he needed help, he gives the bike a little throttle, and it coasted nicely up the narrow ramp as he walked beside the truck with one hand on the seat, the bike stalling just as it came to the front of the truck bed. He looked at me like "what would I need help for?" You could tell this was his daily routine.
High Country Herb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 10:46 AM   #50
achtung3
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 967
Looking into the barrel of a gun. Never a good idea.
achtung3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 07:22 PM   #51
Sp4rks
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 237
Bike is 220lbs(if that) with a full tank of gas ready to ride. I push it up one of those wide ramps from Harbor Freight.
Old 02-08-2014, 08:57 AM   #52
joexr
Banned

Oddometer: 3,773
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sp4rks View Post
Bike is 220lbs(if that) with a full tank of gas ready to ride. I push it up one of those wide ramps from Harbor Freight.
220 LBs you don't need a ramp.
joexr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 03:33 PM   #53
dwayne
Silly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,110
We often load our bikes on frozen lakes, when not riding we wrap the wheels with carpet/heavy duty canvas liners to prevent dulling the screws we use when ice racing, they look a little like tire warmers. A set of tires runs $800 and the truck box would dull the screws without liners and the screws would destroy the truck bed. There is NO traction for the tires and very little for boots, even the bed of the truck is slippery. Surprisingly, despite effectively turning our wheels into chainsaws then riding them on ice, most injuries occur loading the bikes.

I mounted a cheap 1500 lb ATV winch to the front box rail on the truck and hook the cable to a foot peg. Slow, controlled loading made easy.

A "Day" of Dirt Biking Rockies East Slopes
High and Dry Colorado and Utah

"When your only tool is a hammer, every problem looks like a nail"
dwayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 03:38 PM   #54
toy4fun
GET out of the way

Oddometer: 244
Quote:
Originally Posted by alvincullumyork View Post
When you load your motorcycle into your truck do you ride it up the ramp? Push it? Or walk beside it in first gear?

I almost always walk beside the bike while it's in first gear.

Please please please JACK UR TRUCK UP WAY HIGH its very usefull
toy4fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 08:22 AM   #55
BCOffRoad
Adventurer

Oddometer: 39
I push my dirt bike up a dual ramp while walking beside it on the ramp. For larger bikes, under power in first gear, smaller bike get manhandled in. I always leave the bikes in gear when backing them out so I can drop the clutch if the front wheel starts sliding on the way down the ramp.

I used to ride up the ramp. No problem after a ride when I was fully comfortable on the bike. Different story first thing in the morning with a cold bike, cold body, and pretty much no gear.

I used to make my sister load her bike by herself all the time (in case I was ever incapacitated and she had to go get the truck, she would have practice). One time she loosened a strap too quickly and the bike fell, knocking her out of the bed of the truck, except for her leg that was pinned. Another time as she backed the bike down the 'ladder' type ramp the front tire started sliding (she didn't have it in gear) and she stepped through the ramp, bike fell on top of her, general bad scene (wish I had that on camera). Despite some pretty major scrapes and bruises, and a big dent in her shin, she was still up for the all day ride we had planned.
Old 02-12-2014, 10:17 AM   #56
Falconx84
Lurker

Oddometer: 369
If necessary, I trailer my bike... Built in ramp and only a couple feet off the ground. Very easy to do solo.

I'm surprised no one mentioned (lack of) head room when loading into an enclosed truck like uhaul or similar.
Old 02-15-2014, 12:39 PM   #57
BossMaverick
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 182
Steep ditches will make almost any ramp useable. Even backing up to a curb or steep driveway is better than nothing.

I've also found that small dealers or shops can be pretty good about letting you use their permanent style ramps as long as buy something now and again.

IMHO, trailers are the easiest.
Old 02-15-2014, 02:11 PM   #58
popscycle
Fahren Away

Oddometer: 1,023
Quote:
Originally Posted by BossMaverick View Post
Steep ditches will make almost any ramp useable. Even backing up to a curb or steep driveway is better than nothing.

I've also found that small dealers or shops can be pretty good about letting you use their permanent style ramps as long as buy something now and again.

That's been our approach. Make it as straight and level as possible with adequate ramp width (or extra boards) for putting the foot down. The object is to get the bike up as easily and safely as possible, not demonstrate your riding/loading skills (or lack thereof).

Goodbye Cruiserface, Hello Happyface!

2014 R1200GS | 2010 MX5 | BMW MOA
popscycle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 02:40 PM   #59
BossMaverick
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 182
Quote:
Originally Posted by popscycle View Post
That's been our approach. Make it as straight and level as possible with adequate ramp width (or extra boards) for putting the foot down. The object is to get the bike up as easily and safely as possible, not demonstrate your riding/loading skills (or lack thereof).
Exactly. Even being able to do it right 97% of the time isn't good enough when you consider the cost of cosmetic parts and/or paint.
Old 02-17-2014, 05:32 AM   #60
Rockmuncher
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 755
Quote:
Originally Posted by BossMaverick View Post

We used to use a steep ditch and the endgate from my old ford beater as a ramp.
Rockmuncher is offline   Reply With Quote