Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-07-2014, 07:40 AM   #346
MotoTex
Miles of Smiles

Oddometer: 1,588
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ-Brett View Post
I do not want to spend a lot of time gearing up and being uncomfortable on a ride, and I often jump on the bike for very local short trips to the store and so on.
Its just as easy and fast to jump on the bike as it is to get in the car.
Just so those who don't know won't get the wrong impression. Getting into and out of gear, riding jacket and pants, takes maybe two minutes. Maybe. If I'm slow. I don't consider this "a lot of time" but my riding may be different than those who would consider this too long.

As for comfort, I've tried it both ways and have found it to be far more comfortable in gear than out of it. Having a layer between me and the elements makes riding better, for me. Bugs, rocks, and such hitting my skin or through a thin layer is uncomfortable to me. Exposed skin dehydrates me faster and reduces my time in the saddle as fatigue will set in quicker.

Then again, the nearest "corner store" for me is a twenty minute ride, and nearly any ride I take will be at least forty-five minutes to an hour round trip, at the shortest. Most rides are multi-hour. I ride mostly for pleasure rather than errand-running and social meet-ups, so this plays into my choices.

I have very little perspective for urban riding as it has been several decades since I have resided in any city. The only collisions I have ever had were when living in the city. I had four over a two year span. Been running from Houston ever since.

I'm not saying there is any right way, I only wanted to drop this in there for those who might be undecided, or whose environment may be better suited with another strategy.

This is offered as only one opinion, not as some absolute truth for all riders.

This is The Internet. Confirm for yourself anything you may see while visiting this strange and uncertain land.

MotoTex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 10:47 AM   #347
390beretta OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,078
Update on the motorcycle garbage truck collision:

The garbage truck failed to yield to the motorcycle. Again, I cannot imagine how one cannot avoid a slow moving garbage truck on a bike. The garbage truck was exiting the refuse collection site (dump) so it had to be "lumbering". Again, the road there is 6 lanes wide, three in each direction. The speed limit there is 45mph.
Old 02-07-2014, 04:38 PM   #348
Rango
Phaneropter

Oddometer: 1,123
Quote:
Originally Posted by MotoTex View Post
Just so those who don't know won't get the wrong impression. Getting into and out of gear, riding jacket and pants, takes maybe two minutes. Maybe. If I'm slow. I don't consider this "a lot of time" but my riding may be different than those who would consider this too long.
Two minutes.

You, sir, have my utmost respect!

Boots, pants, vest, gloves, helmet, goggles. It takes me closer to 10 minutes. Yet, I'm not out by a long shot. Prechecks, rolling bike out, kicking it into life.
So give me at least 15 minutes before I yell "go, silver".

Riding a bike to me is like riding a horse. It requires attention and time before and after. That's not lost time, it's an investment in a good trip now and more to come.

By the way, to put it in perspective, even a round trip to the groceries will take me two hours. There are no short rides for me.
Old 02-07-2014, 05:11 PM   #349
1911fan
Master of the Obvious

Oddometer: 2,723
I have been down, with and without gear. With is better. Odds are good that I'll get to meet the ground again, whether paved or not. So I gear up. Icon Patrol boots, Draggin Jeans, jacket/gloves and helmet.
Since I'm already wearing the boots and jeans when I walk outside, and the jacket and helmet live on the bike, it takes a couple minutes to 'gear up' while the bike warms up. No biggie.
More serious or adventurous rides, I'll wear more gear. But that's pretty much my minimum. I think people who ride without gear are stupid or uninformed, but that's based on my perspective of past personal injury. I keep my opinions to myself and let others do as they wish. No skin of my ass, hahah.

1911fan

Sometimes the light to see your way forward is provided by the bridge burning behind you.
1911fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 05:15 PM   #350
390beretta OP
Beastly Adventurer

Man, I am just mystified by this accident. Why didn't the driver brake, swerve, whatever! LOTs of room there! I hate to see a fellow rider have this kind of accident! Harley or not. As I learn more, I'll try to post particulars.

Also, at the grocery store where I shop frequently, I saw three PHX garbage trucks parked in the lot; thought about going in to ask them what the skuttlebut was about the accident yesterday, but didn't. I'd really like to know about this.

390beretta screwed with this post 02-07-2014 at 05:20 PM
390beretta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 05:35 PM   #351
Red9
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 386
Quote:
Originally Posted by 390beretta View Post
Man, I am just mystified by this accident. Why didn't the driver brake, swerve, whatever! LOTs of room there! I hate to see a fellow rider have this kind of accident! Harley or not. As I learn more, I'll try to post particulars.

Also, at the grocery store where I shop frequently, I saw three PHX garbage trucks parked in the lot; thought about going in to ask them what the skuttlebut was about the accident yesterday, but didn't. I'd really like to know about this.
Please shut the f---k up...

Red9 screwed with this post 02-07-2014 at 05:44 PM
Red9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 08:50 PM   #352
AK650
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 442
Quote:

You weren't even there, so how do you have any idea what the circumstances were? Maybe the guy had a cage beside him, and couldn't swerve? Maybe the truck pulled out at the very last moment, and the guy couldn't come to a full stop? Maybe you simply hope it was the riders fault, so you can feel superior, and say "see, he should have been wearing a helmet!"?

Jeff
AK650 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 08:54 PM   #353
MotoTex
Miles of Smiles

Oddometer: 1,588
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rango View Post
Two minutes.

You, sir, have my utmost respect!

Boots, pants, vest, gloves, helmet, goggles. It takes me closer to 10 minutes. Yet, I'm not out by a long shot. Prechecks, rolling bike out, kicking it into life.
So give me at least 15 minutes before I yell "go, silver".

Riding a bike to me is like riding a horse. It requires attention and time before and after. That's not lost time, it's an investment in a good trip now and more to come.

By the way, to put it in perspective, even a round trip to the groceries will take me two hours. There are no short rides for me.
I wasn't counting the time for helmet, boots, gloves as the post I was replying to seemed to be about the hassles of a suit compared to riding with minimum gear. I just presumed that boots, gloves, and helmet were something they might already be doing and aimed to illustrate the difference in time required to go full gear.

So, I step into the left pants leg, zip two leg zippers and fasten one buckle, put on the jacket and zip up the front. That's probably less that two minutes. Street clothes go underneath. Reverse the process and I'm comfy for work or socializing.

The earplugs, helmet, and gloves, not to mention heated gear and rain gear when necessary will add to that time.

This is The Internet. Confirm for yourself anything you may see while visiting this strange and uncertain land.

MotoTex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 05:17 AM   #354
390beretta OP
Beastly Adventurer

Hey Red9 & Ak650, you can both piss off! Or, both of you Morans feel free to put me on your "ignore" list if you don't like what I have to say. I'd consider it an honor.

390beretta screwed with this post 02-08-2014 at 05:36 AM
390beretta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 05:51 AM   #355
anotherguy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,977
Quote:
Originally Posted by AK650 View Post
You weren't even there, so how do you have any idea what the circumstances were? Maybe the guy had a cage beside him, and couldn't swerve? Maybe the truck pulled out at the very last moment, and the guy couldn't come to a full stop? Maybe you simply hope it was the riders fault, so you can feel superior, and say "see, he should have been wearing a helmet!"?

Jeff
Uh huh........what he said.
Old 02-08-2014, 07:53 AM   #356
Cariboo_kid
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 150
Quote:
Hey Red9 & Ak650, you can both piss off! Or, both of you Morans feel free to put me on your "ignore" list if you don't like what I have to say. I'd consider it an honor.
I believe the word you are looking for is spelled MORONS.
Cariboo_kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 08:19 AM   #357
390beretta OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cariboo_kid View Post
I believe the word you are looking for is spelled MORONS.
Actually I intentionally spelled it the way it's spelled in "JoMamma"
Old 02-08-2014, 09:08 AM   #358
joexr
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,773
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red9 View Post
Please shut the f---k up...
Quote:
Originally Posted by AK650 View Post

Jeff
Quote:
Originally Posted by anotherguy View Post
Uh huh........what he said.
You know how old women like to gossip.
joexr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 09:09 AM   #359
joexr
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,773
Quote:
Actually I intentionally spelled it the way it's spelled in "JoMamma"
That's because they ARE morons.
joexr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 09:14 AM   #360
AK650
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 442
Quote:
If you prefer that everyone respond in total agreement with your opinion, you may want to search for a forum like sycophants.com, if there is such a thing.

Jeff
AK650 is offline   Reply With Quote