Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 420
Turn around and go back to the gravel.
Flo_Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 01:05 PM   #47
fast1075
Fasterizer

Oddometer: 106
If I hit gravel covered pavement: I try to figure out how I was magically transported to a road with gravel.

Gravel is a kind of stone thing. There are no natural stone things in Flaw'da. If you find gravel on the road in Flaw'da, it escaped from someone's landscaping, or on a more sinister note was put there on purpose. Our "Dirt" roads are clay, at least in the state center I am familiar with, which is excellent for practicing the tail out drift, or just aimless roosting.

We have sand, of which one variety called "sugar sand" is like tiny ball bearings. Hit that in a corner and you are going down, most hopefully a low side. One of my most favourite roads have one corner where sugar sand will wash onto during a heavy rain. I have seen as many as 3 bikes in a pile at one time in that corner from the sand.
Old 01-19-2014, 08:02 AM   #48
Seth650
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 378
Gravel over pavement takes getting use to the squirm, throttle control is the most important to stay up. Slightly underinflated tires seem to help (I use 17.5/19 on my old t'wings)

If in NE Pa. or NW NJ, try National Park Rd. off of rt 611 in Delawre Water Gap. Beware gravel right at the turn in. After fun twisties, a wicked, blind decreasing-radius, you hit wide gravel over rock for 2 miles or so, heading to Totts Gap. It has enough turns and hills to stay interesting.
Old 01-24-2014, 09:58 AM   #49
markk53
jack of all trades...

Oddometer: 7,523
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ocky View Post
Something that has always been a problem for me is riding over gravel covered asphalt. Where I live doesn't snow a lot but a couple weeks ago it did and there is still significant gravel covering less traveled roads. I have had a couple unfortunate experiences going through a turn and having my rear tire slip(this is after I have already slowed down and am going 20mph or less).

Apparently increasing the traction of 4 wheeled vehicles for a couple days is an Ok trade off for making the roads hazardous for 2 wheeled vehicles for a month or more.

Heck, I try to find gravel/dirt roads!

one word - dual sport...

two words - dual sport motorcycles...

screw it! - dual sport motorcycles are fun!

Mark - klx678
95 KLX650C w/Vulcan piston bigbore, Now an 09 KLX250S, selling my 90 Zephyr 550
markk53 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 10:00 AM   #50
markk53
jack of all trades...

Quote:
Originally Posted by concours View Post
Just remember three things... Floor it, turn left, don't fuck up... no, wait, that's car racin. Learn to ride on the dirt, a lot. if you don't, you'll never get comfortable with it.

Yeah, for bikes it's crank it, turn right and go left! Flat track... gotta love it!

Mark - klx678
Old 01-25-2014, 05:58 PM   #51
wr37
Woods Racer

Oddometer: 69
My 990 is my first bike with ABS. The first time I encountered dirt on the road at a stop sign I instinctively lightened up on the front brake and went for more rear. I promptly blew through the stop sign. After that I had to force myself to trust the ABS and go for more front brake. In the dirt sooth and calm is the way to go, no abrupt moves and no ABS.
Old 01-29-2014, 07:53 AM   #52
rivercreep
Banned

Oddometer: 3,243
If you're on a good D.S. and have knobbies, enjoy the conditions by practicing on it.
If all you have is a shitty street bike without knobbies or the stable geometry a D.S. offers (like I do now)...be very careful and wear adult diapers.
rivercreep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 08:05 AM   #53
randyo
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,441
Quote:
Originally Posted by rivercreep View Post
If you're on a good D.S. and have knobbies, enjoy the conditions by practicing on it.
If all you have is a shitty street bike without knobbies or the stable geometry a D.S. offers (like I do now)...be very careful and wear adult diapers.
why do you paint the picture of doom ? such fear mongering

loose gravel on pavement is no big deal unless you are prone to panic for no reason
99 SV650
82 XV920R
A man with a gun is a citizen
A man without a gun is a subject
randyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 04:05 AM   #54
rivercreep
Banned

Oddometer: 3,243
Quote:
Originally Posted by randyo View Post
why do you paint the picture of doom ? such fear mongering

loose gravel on pavement is no big deal unless you are prone to panic for no reason
Just throwing caution that street tires (with no deep groves to find traction) on loose stones (like the tar/chips we get in Pa.) are pretty much equal to riding on ice.

Most guys aren't like us (ride in the snow/ice) to be used to really slippery conditions so....
I consider most guys who have to ask these questions to be newbies with no real experience, and would rather they stay alive and with us for a little while.

When you were a newbie...would you have dreamed you could do what you now do with ease? (I didn't mean to sound like doom...just caution!)
rivercreep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 08:08 AM   #55
markk53
jack of all trades...

Learned riding off road, never thought twice about gravel on the road. Just like being on hard pack then encountering loose stuff. I let the conditioned responses take over.

Had both bad situations happen to me too. One corner the pea gravel wasn't visible until on top of it, so a choice had to be made to go off road, brake hard and hope to not hit it while doing so, or ride it out. No place off road but a ditch and then a serious bank since the corner was cut into a hill. Braking hard didn't really have enough space to do much with hard braking. So it was brake as much as possible, then ride it out and see what happens. The front end washed out about a foot, then caught. Kind of bucked the bike a bit, but I was ready and compensated as much as possible. Done. The other was just a simiple turn onto a side road, the rear stepped out and instantly I had a foot out to touch down and keep the bike up. Done.

All was pretty much conditioned response from past experience.

Go ride a small bore dirt bike, not an MX or competition level enduro, but a play bike if you can get one. Do it in a muddy field, on a loose circle track, on a rutted trail. The more you do the better you get. It does help on the street.

Mark - klx678
Old 02-07-2014, 07:30 PM   #56
bk brkr baker
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,013
Gas it !

Well you might end up like this.

bk brkr baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 08:50 AM   #57
markk53
jack of all trades...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bk brkr baker View Post
Gas it !

Well you might end up like this.

Yeah, but a low side usually hurts way less than a high side!

Mark - klx678
Old 02-10-2014, 06:13 PM   #58
Uncle Pollo
happy cachiporra

Oddometer: 47,218
I just panic and scream like a little girl.
Uncle Pollo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 07:27 PM   #59
Aonarch
Adventurer

Oddometer: 41
Stay loose, when in doubt power out.