User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-08-2014, 01:48 PM   #1
AKMotorbiker OP
Searching for sanity

Oddometer: 238
Searching for Sanity!

I've decided to do an ongoing ride report with stand alone reports for big journeys. Searching for Sanity is an ongoing effort to avoid, dodge, side step, and out maneuver real life in exchange for the next ride. In a world of commercial bombardment, politics, inefficiency, and bureaucratic spider webs it's important to separate yourself from all the BS and unwind.

Last summer I purchased my 2013 BMW R1200 GSW. I did a fly and ride adventure to pick it up and return home. That report was "First Ride, BMW R1200 GSW" which was followed a month later by "First Ride, Off Road Edition". Since then I commute every day, rain or shine, slick or loaded down, because its therapeutic for me. On the most stressful days I can look forward to at least riding to and from work at one with the road, senses fully engaged. Over the last six months I've logged 5400 miles, 115 hrs, 30*-102*F and a little rain (my commute is very short).

Ride Index

Red Rock Canyon, Las Vegas, Nevada (Nov 2013) Post 2
Palms to Pines, Idyllwild, California (Feb 2, 2014) Post 7
Coronado Island, San Diego, California (Feb 13, 2014) Post 16
Angeles Crest, California (Feb 15, 2014) Post 20
Balboa Park, San Diego, California (Mar 3, 2014)Post 34
Death Valley, California (May2-5, 2014)Post 50
Sequoia National Park, California (July 3-6, 2014)Post 75
Searching for Sanity: Newest Chapter- Sequoia National Park

AKMotorbiker screwed with this post 08-19-2014 at 11:46 AM
AKMotorbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 02:24 PM   #2
AKMotorbiker OP
Searching for sanity

One of my goals is to retrain myself to slow down, enjoy the journey, and relax. I want to strike a balance between enjoying my ride and stopping to enjoy the scenery. Basically to explore not travel. It won't happen overnight but I hope to make progress.

In November 2013 we decided to head to Las Vegas from Orange County for the weekend to visit some friends. To show the like mindedness of my wife and I, we both thought I was riding while she transported the kids (my support crew).

On the way in to Vegas a friendly Officer reminded me that lane sharing in traffic was not allowed. It doesn't mean I didn't see it happening though, I just got caught. No violation, just a warning.

The real gem of the trip was heading out to Red Rock Canyon for the afternoon. The contrast of the red sand stone to the surrounding desert was amazing. The kids climbed around for hours and we had lunch taking in the landscape.

Old 02-08-2014, 05:17 PM   #3
Rutabaga
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 729
Admirable goal in your search for sanity. Let us know how the hunt is going.
Rutabaga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 09:30 AM   #4
AKMotorbiker OP
Searching for sanity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rutabaga View Post
Admirable goal in your search for sanity. Let us know how the hunt is going.
I plan to keep you updated regularly. Keeping this report going is like having an upcoming test. I know I have to study, ie have material to put in it.
Old 02-09-2014, 09:36 AM   #5
AKMotorbiker OP
Searching for sanity

New Years Eve

Wife:"Can you pick up the pizza?"
Me:"I sure can!"

Old 02-09-2014, 09:49 AM   #6
AKMotorbiker OP
Searching for sanity

Super Bowl Sunday was my next trip out. I was doing reconnaissance for camping areas in the San Bernardino area up by Idyllwild, CA. This would take me along the scenic byway known as "Palms to Pines". I started out along the Pacific with the clouds and a front moving in. The forecast had rain for me and 2-4 inches of snow for the mountains but, not until midnight. I headed up Hwy 74 with temperatures down to 30*F, bundled up with head to toe layers and heated grips blasting. I made a mental note to invest in larger brush guards and gauntlets for next "winter".

Here you can see the front moving in at the coast.

Here is an example of needing to pause and get a good picture. I didn't want to stop so I depended on pulling a still off my video. I didn't turn out well.

Old 02-09-2014, 09:55 PM   #7
AKMotorbiker OP
Searching for sanity

I left at 7:30 in the morning and halfway up the canyon I started seeing more and more bikes out. I stopped at the lookout, over looking Lake Elsinore to take a break. With over a dozen other riders hanging out.

A little bit later I entered the San Bernardino National Forest.

Following the winding road up past 3000...400...5000...up to 6200ft. Clear roads and I saw one frozen puddle on the side of the road.

Being an Alaskan it has been hard working in Southern California. I need trees, mountains, snow, seasons, mountain lakes, nature. When the landscape changed it was like breaking 88 mph, I felt free.

Once up to the top of Hwy 74 I turned left and headed up Hwy 243 at Mountain Center towards Idyllwild and Pine Cove.
Old 02-10-2014, 02:40 AM   #8
treefort13
Rerutnevda ylranG

Oddometer: 1,226
Quote:
Originally Posted by AKMotorbiker
I made a mental note to invest in larger brush guards and gauntlets for next "winter."
Hippo hands!

This thread has promise.

"The things that happen to people...the tragedies, life-altering events that shut us down, render us dysfunctional, turn successful lives into train wrecks. The folks who were always a little "odd" and who have slid way, way beyond "odd" as they've aged."
-Sabre-
treefort13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 04:02 AM   #9
DC2wheels
Castle Anthrax troll

Oddometer: 2,178
Real promise indeed.

Thanks for taking us along- we are locked into the snow and ice here in the northeast for at least the next 6 weeks. We are living vicariously through your posts.

BTW, I had to check out this thread- when I first read the title my first reaction was some poor inmate is searching for sanity on ADV???? NFW.
http://k11og.org/forum/index.php world-wide K bike forum

DC2wheels is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 07:15 AM   #10
AKMotorbiker OP
Searching for sanity

Quote:
Originally Posted by treefort13 View Post
Hippo hands!

This thread has promise.

The folks making Hippo Hands are retiring and selling off existing stock unfortunately (according to their website).
Old 02-10-2014, 07:18 AM   #11
AKMotorbiker OP
Searching for sanity

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC2wheels View Post
Real promise indeed.

BTW, I had to check out this thread- when I first read the title my first reaction was some poor inmate is searching for sanity on ADV???? NFW.
Don't forget a definition varies by degree and perception. Words don't control us! By virtue of being on this fabulous site we don't conform to the standard webster's definitions.
Old 02-10-2014, 07:52 AM   #12
AKMotorbiker OP
Searching for sanity

The first stop was at the Riverside County Nature Center. Documented times and admission prices, wandered a minute then continued on.

I found several campsites nestled at the top of the mountain but, they were all closed for the season until May16. I'd go camping in the winter! But, it's not to be here.

Further North there is a scenic view point. I stopped for a look see.

Scenic lookout

Further North I started to see trail signs for street legal vehicles only...noted.

Some assorted trail heads and picnic areas, also a wildlife viewing area I didn't photograph but, it looked nice with platforms and walkways around a small lake.

Old 02-11-2014, 07:21 AM   #13
AKMotorbiker OP
Searching for sanity

I started losing altitude and the landscape started transforming back to desert so I spun around and headed back up the mountain. I stopped for lunch in Mountain Center. The place was great, atmosphere good, and a warm break from the mountain chill. I even ordered a hot chocolate!

After lunch I headed East on Hwy 74 to continue the "Palms to Pines". It flattened out into a valley and more camping and ranches. Mountain Center is in the center of this track where I initially turned left to Hwy 243.

I passed one of the more interesting "adopt a highway" signs I've seen. I actually turned around, stopped, and took a decent picture. That's a big step for me.

Old 02-11-2014, 08:06 PM   #14
AKMotorbiker OP
Searching for sanity

Here is a cool barn. If I would have paused to take a better picture...I'll work on that.

US Navy remote training site, I'll never tell!

I headed back to the coast along along the Hwy 76, never again. Traffic, traffic, traffic, not worth it!

Some fellow riders...

Another great day of riding complete, minus the 76. 260 miles (one tank), 8 hours of sanity logged. I'll post a video tomorrow then I have to plan a ride around Angeles National Forest for the weekend!
Old 02-12-2014, 08:12 AM   #15
AKMotorbiker OP
Searching for sanity

Here is the video, enjoy!