User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-11-2014, 03:21 AM   #1
Chadhent OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 15
South Island trip

I'm from Adelaide and after seeing many of the photos on here for riding in the South Island I have just booked a trip to come over and rent a bike.

I will be doing some research about routes I want to take and would appreciate any feedback once I have some firmer plans.

I will be coming over 10-17th February flying into Christchurch. I will be solo at the moment so if anyone is keen for a few days out riding let me know.

Cheers

Chad
Chadhent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 08:08 PM   #2
McCardigan
happy Budda

Oddometer: 2,853
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chadhent View Post
I'm from Adelaide and after seeing many of the photos on here for riding in the South Island I have just booked a trip to come over and rent a bike.

I will be doing some research about routes I want to take and would appreciate any feedback once I have some firmer plans.

I will be coming over 10-17th February flying into Christchurch. I will be solo at the moment so if anyone is keen for a few days out riding let me know.

Cheers

Chad
Buy a couple of books, the best IMHO is NZ Motorcycle Atlas written by Peter Mitchell, published by HEMA Maps NZ, covers 100 best rides both tar and dirt on both Islands, with excellent maps. The other which just been recently released is Mike Hyde Twisting Throttle, published by Harper Collins, bought mine in a bookshop in Kati Kati. He covers his top 50 rides, both tar and dirt. I have both and together you will cover just about every good route.

I have just about ridden all of them baring the Nevis, which I have tried to do several times but always beaten by rain and deep ford crossings.

Note, if you hire a dual purpose bike, there some roads/tracks that are a BIG NO NO.

With the books and good maps of NZ, here if you are a AA member you get very good free maps, but you want to have the maps before you leave Oz, to work out a touring route. One thing to remember, average ridings times are a lot slower then riding in Oz, especially like SA. You will be stopping for many photos.

I have ridden the European Alps, the Canadian and USA Rockies, but still keep coming back to NZ every year, that tells you something about how amazing this place is.

Enjoy

Chris

And proud 7th Day Adventourist
McCardigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 11:19 PM   #3
Chadhent OP
Adventurer

Cheers for the info, yeah I saw the books also mentioned in the FAQ section I will definitely check them out.

I am hiring a dual purpose but not a enduro bike so keen to ride some dirt roads but nothing too much (also considering I will probably be solo).

Any roads in particular I should shy away from?
Old 01-14-2014, 11:26 PM   #4
Chadhent OP
Adventurer

Bugger I just had a look and the atlas is out of print.. Might take some finding.
Old 01-15-2014, 08:55 PM   #5
TransalperNZ
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 105
If you can survive without paper then there's a load of South Island Adventure info here....
www.adventureguide.co.nz

The site is in process of a revamp/rename/new address but imagine that link will redirect when the change goes through.
TransalperNZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 09:17 PM   #6
Chadhent OP
Adventurer

Thanks for that. Yes I did find the website and its great, all you really need.

Everyone was raving about the book though so thought it might have been a good investment.
Old 02-03-2014, 06:20 PM   #7
Sammo
n00b

Oddometer: 1
we hired bikes from City motorcycle rentals in Christchurch and they sent us the Atlas for free.
Highlights:
Molesworth Track; twisties between Picton and Nelson; Buller Pass; Lindis Pass; Wanaka. East coast is a bit flat but you can't go wrong on the south island. We had 2 weeks - was about 2 months too short. enjoy
Sammo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 04:41 PM   #8
Chadhent OP
Adventurer

Cheers for the info, I think the city motorcycles place is the same company where I am renting from.

I ended up buying the twisting throttle book which seems to be pretty good.

Currently packing which is pretty hard to keep under the 23kg limit with all bike gear camping stuff etc, should just sneak in though.

I will be brining the gopro so should get some good footage
Old 02-08-2014, 09:47 PM   #9
rogerh
Adventurer

Oddometer: 89
Usually a 7kg hand luggage allowance too. If you are close....
Or worst comes to worst $100 each way for an extra 23kg bag.
Most of the airlines are pretty much the same.

Have fun
rogerh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 04:10 AM   #10
Chadhent OP
Adventurer

Ended up being all good for the luggage.

Was a good trip:

Day 1: leave Christchurch about midday headed straight for hammer springs. Molesworth track to the second cottage and camp.
Day 2: molesworth to Blenheim, across to st arnauld then the rainbow road. Was going to camp at the lake but weather was poor, stayed in hammer.
Day 3: Lewis pass to upper buller road. Turn off at the big iron bridge and follow the power line track to Dennison. On that it was a poor decision to do this solo. The track although only medium difficult was way too remote for solo ride. Very steep valleys, large river crossing, rocky. Started to rain when at the peak and into cloud base. Fuel light on. All went ok but was a tad stressful. Continued ride to Karamea (raining non stop)
Day 4: Karamea backtrack to buller gorge. Then Braeburn track to lake rotoroa, had a look at the 4wd track here, fairly easy which was good. Then headed to the coast, through golden bay and up to puponga at the spit (which I stopped earlier) great ride up the mountain though
Day 5: Puponga back through Nelson and onto Blenheim. Left here a bit late around 4pm to do the molesworth, arrived at the cottage near the river around 7pm for a camp.
Day 6: molesworth through to hamner. Then quick trip to kiakoura and back down the coast road to Christchurch.

Have to say the adventure guide website was a big help for ideas and gps tracks.

At the end of it think I did around 2800kms in the 6 days.

Here is a short and poorly edited video I made:

http://youtu.be/VMU--af5NVc

Some pics:

Old 02-25-2014, 04:53 PM   #11
RMOTO
Doing secret stuff

Oddometer: 254
Good stuff mate, looks like you had a great trip, one for the photo album for sure. Good video too, I can appreciate the time taken to film that. I especially liked the one handed/self video stream crossing, classic!!

I'm glad the Adventure Guide website was a help
Old 02-25-2014, 07:53 PM   #12
Night Falcon
Adventure NZL

Oddometer: 1,679
choice video chadhent - hope ya enjoyed ya time in the mainland
Night Falcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 11:18 PM   #13
Mark_S
Fair Weather Faggot

Oddometer: 1,674
Quote:
Originally Posted by Night Falcon View Post
choice video chadhent - hope ya enjoyed ya time in the mainland
yup

what the bike bender said....
Old 02-26-2014, 12:10 AM   #14
Te Hopo
AKA Deanohit

Oddometer: 910
Awesome, loved the pics and video, very creative

I'm all amped up now, my bike is loaded and I meet up with zaTTaz and John C tomorrow morning to do some of those same high country roads.
Te Hopo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 01:04 AM   #15
foggyred
Adventurer

Oddometer: 36
thanks for that,it was great
foggyred is offline   Reply With Quote