Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-09-2014, 07:40 PM   #1411
DAKEZ
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 19,215
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorninja View Post
As a noob to riding, I have a curious question. Is it normal that I am slightly unsettled by turning sharply? I've only been riding in the yard on my ninja. But it feels as though it is going to slide out from under me. Im still practicing just curious if the feeling will go away? :

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2
Riding in the yard (as in on grass?) it may very well slide out from under you. Get out of the yard and to a nice paved lot and practice there.

When tires are cold they have less grip.
Painted lines have less grip.
Metal manhole/sewer covers have less grip.

Outside of that. It will be a LONG time before you lean that bike more than traction allows.

Also remember to lean your body into the turn. (don't just lean the bike)
Old 02-10-2014, 01:48 AM   #1412
sailorninja
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 129
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAKEZ View Post
Riding in the yard (as in on grass?) it may very well slide out from under you. Get out of the yard and to a nice paved lot and practice there.

When tires are cold they have less grip.
Painted lines have less grip.
Metal manhole/sewer covers have less grip.

Outside of that. It will be a LONG time before you lean that bike more than traction allows.

Also remember to lean your body into the turn. (don't just lean the bike)
Yeah, on grass. My boyfriend said it would be better to start there until I am more comfortable, then I could start on pavement.

sailorninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 04:07 AM   #1413
Ciph3r
Adventurer

Oddometer: 57
Quote:
Yeah, on grass. My boyfriend said it would be better to start there until I am more comfortable, then I could start on pavement.

Definitely find an empty parking lot, your ninja is not made for grass ;) Your bike will feel totally different, if you try it on pavement.
Ciph3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 06:10 AM   #1414
1911fan
Master of the Obvious

Oddometer: 2,330
And you ARE wearing gear, even on grass, right? Ninjas are not made for grass, low traction and street tires do not mix. Find a nice empty parking lot to practice in- our neighborhood church parking lot is HUGE and usually empty. Except on Sundays.

1911fan

Sometimes the light to see your way forward is provided by the bridge burning behind you.
1911fan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 04:53 PM   #1415
sailorninja
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ciph3r View Post
Definitely find an empty parking lot, your ninja is not made for grass ;) Your bike will feel totally different, if you try it on pavement.
I've been wanting to ride on pavement but he is determined that I get comfortable on grass. I even tried the whole "it's not made for grass!" Shtick, but he is stubborn. ghead:

Old 02-10-2014, 04:57 PM   #1416
sailorninja
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1911fan View Post
And you ARE wearing gear, even on grass, right? Ninjas are not made for grass, low traction and street tires do not mix. Find a nice empty parking lot to practice in- our neighborhood church parking lot is HUGE and usually empty. Except on Sundays.

1911fan
I have been wearing a helmet, gloves, a hoodie, jeans and boots, if it would be a better idea I'll start wearing my riding jacket. Im still looking for riding pants/boots/better fitting gloves. Perhaps this is why he doesn't want me on pavement yet.

sailorninja screwed with this post 02-10-2014 at 05:02 PM
Old 02-10-2014, 11:17 PM   #1417
Big Bamboo
Aircooled & Sunbaked

Oddometer: 2,198
Quote:
I've been wanting to ride on pavement but he is determined that I get comfortable on grass.
Here's a thought; I've heard it said that riding off road gives you skills that will make you a better rider on the street. By having you ride on grass, you are hopefully learning responses to sudden loss of traction, with less chance of damage to the street bike in a fall. It's all well and good to learn in a parking lot, too, but in the real world, it's the patch of sand, the oil slick in the center of the lane, a wet manhole cover that will catch you. I think the skills learned on the grass may save you in that situation. What do you think? Also, get a jacket with shoulder and elbow armor. Your bones will thank you if you ever do take a fall.
Big Bamboo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 01:08 AM   #1418
sailorninja
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Bamboo View Post
Here's a thought; I've heard it said that riding off road gives you skills that will make you a better rider on the street. By having you ride on grass, you are hopefully learning responses to sudden loss of traction, with less chance of damage to the street bike in a fall. It's all well and good to learn in a parking lot, too, but in the real world, it's the patch of sand, the oil slick in the center of the lane, a wet manhole cover that will catch you. I think the skills learned on the grass may save you in that situation. What do you think? Also, get a jacket with shoulder and elbow armor. Your bones will thank you if you ever do take a fall.
I'm not saying it was a bad idea, really because he has more experience than I do by a long shot, I tend not to question him, which is mainly why I asked here. He started out on a dirt bike, so I assumed he knew something about what he was talking about lol, our yard just doesn't seem like the best thing to try and ride in when he have holes nearly impossible to see and tiny roots and such. :p

Old 02-11-2014, 06:27 AM   #1419
1911fan
Master of the Obvious

Oddometer: 2,330
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Bamboo View Post
get a jacket with shoulder and elbow armor. Your bones will thank you if you ever do take a fall.
Only if you're wearing it, which should be 100% of the time. I still say, get off the lawn or have him find you a small dirt bike to ride. My .02 is all.

1911fan

Sometimes the light to see your way forward is provided by the bridge burning behind you.
1911fan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 10:50 AM   #1420
orangebear
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,196
Quote:
I have been wearing a helmet, gloves, a hoodie, jeans and boots, if it would be a better idea I'll start wearing my riding jacket. Im still looking for riding pants/boots/better fitting gloves. Perhaps this is why he doesn't want me on pavement yet.

i would get some better gear and then pay for some lessons and riding with a instructor on the road and then get your test done so you now what to do and be legal to run the bike.
Klr650c the 1 I should not of wasted my money on
Honda xl125rc powered by a cg125 block fun wee bike
orangebear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 06:26 PM   #1421
BikeMikeAZ
n00b

Oddometer: 3
Quote:
As a noob to riding, I have a curious question. Is it normal that I am slightly unsettled by turning sharply? I've only been riding in the yard on my ninja. But it feels as though it is going to slide out from under me. Im still practicing just curious if the feeling will go away? :

For parking lot speed turns, you can let the bike lean under you, instead of leaning with the bike. You'll feel a lot more in control.
If you haven't done it yet, take a motorcycle safety foundation course. Even experienced riders learn a little something in those courses (take the boyfriend).
BikeMikeAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 06:30 PM   #1422
sailorninja
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BikeMikeAZ View Post
For parking lot speed turns, you can let the bike lean under you, instead of leaning with the bike. You'll feel a lot more in control.
If you haven't done it yet, take a motorcycle safety foundation course. Even experienced riders learn a little something in those courses (take the boyfriend).
I have actually been checking into a class, the closest one is the weekend after my birthday. (Late birthday present to myself can never hurt getting him to join me may be a different story.

Old 02-11-2014, 06:49 PM   #1423
geolpilot
Adventurer

Oddometer: 90
Read and study Proficient Motorcycling by Hough, then read it again! I learned a ton from it even after 50 years of riding.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk
geolpilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 02:15 PM   #1424
cele0001
Instigator

Oddometer: 139
Granted I only have about 8 years of riding experience but my thinking is that if motorcycle is involved in an accident it is always motorcycle's fault.
Here is the logic.
On a bike if you crash you will get hurt and possibly die.
Therefore you should never put yourself in the situation to be in an crash, ever.
You always have more to lose than the car. I don't even want to go into "unforced errors" subject (going too fast, hitting a tree, etc)
Its one of those you always have to think two, even three steps ahead. I am hoping some of the older crowd will chime in (no offense).
Also on a bike you reaction instinct are almost always wrong. You must train yourself to think more and react less.
cele0001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 02:39 PM   #1425
Ciph3r
Adventurer

Oddometer: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by cele0001 View Post
*snip*
Also on a bike you reaction instinct are almost always wrong. You must train yourself to think more and react less.
My thought on this is, train the right instincts and reflexes, because if you have to first think about how to react, it's already too late. But this is hard to learn and harder to get rid of old muscle memory/reflexes...
Ciph3r is offline   Reply With Quote