Rotwieler air filter

Discussion in 'Dakar champion (950/990)' started by timbo45, Aug 6, 2013.

1. mountain eagle

mountain eagle terrorist

Oddometer:
    I once ran out of gas in 75 miles.......... and that was before the filter swap. Also before the 2-1 and aux tank........

Since the filter I haven't noticed much change in the 35-45 mpg I was getting before, once I adjusted the jets. It's quite wrist variable.

2. smitty141

smitty141 Only Pussy's die of natural causes.

Oddometer:
    I have only burned a couple tanks on mine. Got 38 on first and 37 on the second..

Smitty
  3. RoundOz

RoundOz Plenty of seasoning

Oddometer:
    Yeah...what he said....you wd have to have raw fuel coming out the pipe....
  4. laramie LC4

laramie LC4 flying something...

Oddometer:
    win a chicken dinner! :clap

neither of the tanks were fully open. not sure what i did but i swore i had opened them back up. rode all week to work and back without issues. cant believe i didn't have problems before.

thanks guys, panic relieved....

laters,

laramie :beer
  5. bikyto

bikyto Dans le doute...gaz!

Oddometer:
    Thanks a lot!
    Looks like I'm going to put it down there as well :)
  6. skidxr

skidxr Excuses

Oddometer:

I sort of had the same problem but it turned out the fuel tap screw was just spinning. It would open and if you kept turning it would close again. 20 bucks for a new one.
  7. Resnais

Resnais Adventurer

Oddometer:
  8. Spark01

Spark01 V-Twin

Oddometer:
    The height of the standard intake stack are about the same height as the height of the original intake snorkel.
    So not much of a big difference and when you would drop your bike into water the intake is much easier to clean and dry with a CPR then with the original air filter box.
  9. laramie LC4

laramie LC4 flying something...

Oddometer:
    ok, this time i actually burned through the whole tank...:lol3

went 160 miles on 4.3 gallons of gas = 37.3 MPG

not too shabby considering i wasn't exactly what you would call light on the throttle. bike is running like a champ and i couldn't be happier. i bet on a nice, steady throttle ride i will easily get 40+ MPG.

laters,

laramie :beer
  10. ÖÖ.

ÖÖ. Ajaa kuin mummo

Oddometer:
    This Rottweiler setup with all the extras looks so good. But I'm still wondering about few things which are keeping me away from the "pay with paypal" -button.

How do you prevent water entering the engine when washing the bike or leaving it standing in the rain? Or is that a problem at all?

People driving in places where they use salt on the road, do you have any signs of corrosion on your carbs / tb's?
  11. BMacW650

BMacW650 .

Oddometer:
    Most of the issues you mentioned (taking in water, corrosion) are not unique to this intake system. If your concern is the foam filter vs paper system, then that's nothing to be worried about. I'm pretty sure the salt dust are no finer than some of the other particles these foam filter+oil can block out.

When the bike is not running, the oil is enough of a barrier to prevent splashes from getting in. You really can't shoot high pressure water directly at the filter when the bike is in one piece. (I washed my bike plenty times, this never even crossed my mind).

In terms of rain. I've ridden and sat my bike in heaving rain for 10+ (sat overnight). That's never been a problem.
  12. Colorado Uli

Colorado Uli Must I?

Oddometer:
    +1
    Remember that the foam filter sits under a fuel tank (stock or Safari or otherwise on all 950 models) and a bunch of shiny plastic bits that will protect it from rain and your garden hose.
    Now, if you were to uninstall the plastics and tank AND then aim a hose directly onto the foam ... but you'd never do that, so it's not going to be an issue.
  13. BykBoy

BykBoy Meshuganeh Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    I want to share my great experience with CPR Fabrications. :clap

Late last year, I put in an order for the Christmas special Trio package (Rottweiler Intake System, Snap-Out, and Dog House). A day later, I got an E-mail from CPR stating that because the special was very popular, the Rottweiler was out of stock. As a result, my order would be delivered one or two weeks late. As compensation, they offered me a choice of red or gray pre-filter :deal.

Fast forward two weeks. The trio arrived and I got to work installing it right away. As you can see in the video, I did quite a lot to the bike all at once... Canistersectomy and SAS removal, Rottweiler install, ABS relocation, underseat fuel tank, and ECU re-mapping.

After the re-map, my bike didn't run well. I contacted Chris from CPR and he helped me identify and fix the problem. The issue was not related to the Rottweiler or TuneECU. Never the less, Chris took the time to call me and research the issue. He also put me in touch with Jeff (a true ECU guru), who also helped me trouble shoot the issue.

It turns out that it was 100% user error on my part. After removing he stock airbox, I flipped the rubber boots that hold the throttle bodies in place. How I got them to fit is beyond me.. :norton At any rate, this caused a bad seal which allowed air into the engine, resulting in engine surging. :baldy

I can't say enough about how helpful and patient both Chris and Jeff were. Going above and beyond and providing this kind of support makes CPR Fabrications one of the best companies I had the pleasure to do business with. :freaky

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/2IHefoyIdsU" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

:1drink
  14. Gustavo.Ramos

Gustavo.Ramos Long timer

Oddometer:
    Talk more about that ABS relocation! :ear
  15. BykBoy

BykBoy Meshuganeh Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    The ABS relocation was fairly simple. Hardest part was to get rear replacement brake lines. I got mine at a local commercial hose supply shop I found on Google. Some Napa auto stores can also makes them.

There is thread about the ABS Relocation here. Also, more pictures of my project here.

:freaky
  16. Jaimoto

Jaimoto Spaniard in Chile

Oddometer:
  17. skidxr

skidxr Excuses

Oddometer:
    What did you gain by moving the ABS to the dog house? Why not just use the dog house for storage?
  18. FakeName

FakeName Wile E Coyote SuperGenius Supporter

Oddometer:
    So he could use the abandoned area for the underseat tank.
  19. T-Mac

T-Mac orange

Oddometer:
    Can someone tell me the difference in air throughput between 40/60 pre-filters, e.g. without pre-filter you get X amount of air while with the 40 cell pre-filter you get X-10% and with the 60 cell you get X-15%?

Is there any progress with the Rottweiler Heat Guard? Is this thing going to production any soon?
  20. Rottweiler Performance

Rottweiler Performance Rottweiler Performance Official

Oddometer:
    T-Mac, while we haven't actually performed any flow bench testing regarding your question, we do have access to one that we use for development purposes and probably could. That being said, for now, running a red 40 cell you probably won't feel much difference as they are fairly course and flow quite well. The grey 60 cell pre-filters are half again as dense and are tailored to the guy that may see silt or very fine particles. Either one won't effect fueling significantly. That being said, our latest "Rally Series" orange frame filters with the new True Blue foam layering does a phenomenal job at catching even the finest of particles and still flowing amazingly well. It is by no means a road filter that other companies seem to be pushing.

The heat shield is definitely in the works and Chris has been testing the latest itteration. (See our FB page at https://www.facebook.com/RottweilerPerformance?ref=hl for a picture of it) We think a few more tweaks with cutouts for cables and such and it will be ready very soon. :clap