ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks > GPS Tracks - Central, Texas & Gulf States
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-09-2014, 09:18 PM   #1
Cannonshot OP
Having a Nice Time

Oddometer: 18,098
CannonTracks - Adv Bike Path - Mack Bridge-UP-WI-MSP

This is a 700 mile path I put together in support of the 2014 BMWMOA Rally. It leads from the Mackinac Bridge across the UP and northern WI to the Minnesota State Fair Grounds where the rally is being held.

The route is suitable for loaded big bikes, but it does take in some rugged or narrow (two-track) paths along the way. The scenery is spectacular, wildlife sightings are common, and points of interest are waypointed in the file. Gas is also waypointed as are hospitals and some other general information.

Just northeast of Eagle River Wisconsin is a by-pass to go around some dirt roads that can have some loose patches of sand if the weather is dry. Other surfaces are firm dirt, gravel, or pavement.

Many of these tracks are taken from some of my other published rides like the Upper Peninsula Adventure Trail so you can visit some other threads to get a picture of what the ride is like. http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=627424

There are four routes in the file in addition to the seven track segments. The routes have short gaps due to paths that are not routable in some areas. Best to follow the track lines and not the routes.

Attached Files
File Type: gpx CS UPWI MSP Custom.gpx (935.1 KB, 79 views)
Old 02-10-2014, 03:37 AM   #2
9Dave
Bazinga!

Oddometer: 12,619
Thanks, Bryan!

When I rode the UPDSS route on the 950, I 1) regretted I was riding a 950 on some sections and 2) had a lot of fun riding a 950 on some sections.

The old rail beds were a hoot. Hard packed, two track, nice to ride at spirited speeds. Some of the forest roads were fine - hard packed sand and gravel.

The sand sections could be OK, or miserable. most of the time OK, but a couple just beat me to death.

I wished someone would do what you've done - put all the good parts together for big bikes. Thanks for making that happen.

dunno.....
9Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 03:33 AM   #3
proeasy
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 285
Thanks Bryan, I have let the BMW Club of Detroit know of your route, I am sure some of the folks will take advantage of it

Hope all is well

Paul O
Husky TE-510
Stumpjumper Carbon 29'r PRO
proeasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 09:36 PM   #4
Cannonshot OP
Having a Nice Time

Oddometer: 18,098
Paved route.

This is a pavement ride that leads from either Sault Ste. Marie or the Mackinac Bridge to the BMW Rally in St. Paul.

The Mack to MSP route is 660 miles long. The Sault to MSP route is 700 miles. Plenty of gas along the way. Lots of scenery and points of interest as well.

The GPX contains two routes that accommodate travel from either the bridge of the Soo. In addition to the routes, the file contains five track lines that cover the same paths.
Attached Files
File Type: gpx CS UPWI MSP Custom Paved.gpx (768.1 KB, 43 views)