User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-23-2014, 01:20 PM   #1
CrazyFrog OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 40
Molesworth side track - Severn River to Lake Sedgemere

After hearing that DOC had opened this track to the public for the first time this year, I decided I'd check it out while it's open and report back.

You can enter either end, either from the Molesworth end at the Severn River bridge entry point, or from the opposite end on the Rainbow Road at Lake Sedgemere, where the road is gated just behind the DOC hut.

The track is only 24km long and in my opinion, it's best ridden as either a shortcut from Molesworth to Rainbow, as incorporate the track into a loop ride like I did. Open season is only 7 weeks from early Jan to end of Feb.
DOC do remind track users to stick to the main trail, so access to the Red Gate end on the Molesworth is technically a no go. Where the track forks to follow either Severn River or Red Gate route however is very tempting so best ask permission if even considering it.

I rode it from the Rainbow end so I could do a handy loop to save too much backtracking. The route basically follows the river valley from point to point, is mostly flat and is about a 70/30 ratio of gravel and grassy farm tracks. there's a couple of shallow river crossings, and several muddy bog holes, which seemed to have a firm base, so not what I'd call bike drowners.

Start point on the Rainbow

Looking back up Rainbow Valley from Lake Sedgemere

Play by the rules and we're all welcome to come back

The first section is a wide open expansive valley and the track is good formed gravel with some shallow stream crossings which can creep up pretty quickly if you're not watching your speed. If you hit them at pace, No you won't drown a bike but you will get a good shower at least.

About mid way point the track hooks left to essentially detour the working end of the farm.
I failed on this, went straight ahead which took me to the farm cottages. The farmer however was friendly enough and pointed me in the right direction again. Note to self: Follow the damn orange arrows!

Form this point, just follow the obvious track along the high bank of the Severn River, this is where it turns grassy and is a joy to ride

Once you enter the grassy section there's a few of these to contend with

Nice tracks bro'

And finally, exit near the Severn River bridge on Molesworth... time for a gratuitous selfie

CrazyFrog screwed with this post 01-23-2014 at 01:53 PM
CrazyFrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 02:25 PM   #2
clintnz
Trans-Global Chook Chaser

Oddometer: 3,307
Nice! Neat to have another offroady diversion in the Molesworth - Rainbow area, DoC Marlborough have been doing rather well at opening up access in recent years.

Cheers
Clint

The wilderness, the desert - why are they not crowded
.................................................. .....with pilgrims?
clintnz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 03:15 PM   #3
zaTTaz
LOUD NOISES.

Oddometer: 268
Schweet! Your pics were good motivation. Going to go do it now (Molesworth to Rainbow direction, and then maybe back if there is time)
zaTTaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 02:49 AM   #4
zaTTaz
LOUD NOISES.

Oddometer: 268
Man, what an epic day and area. Might have to leave a bit earlier and do it again next week Had to come back up the coast as I'm not sure what the time restrictions are on the Rainbow, however I have never driven the Inland Route and man I'm glad I did.

Only got a couple of pics on my phone and they're nothing to write home about so nothing further visual to add sorry :(
zaTTaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 12:59 AM   #5
Left Testicle
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 126
surprised that they let you up there dressed like that polluting the landscape in all that orange
Left Testicle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 02:10 AM   #6
CrazyFrog OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Left Testicle View Post
surprised that they let you up there dressed like that polluting the landscape in all that orange
I thought your lot's favourite motto is "Be safe, be seen"......
or was that "Drive to the conditions".....
then again it might have been "Speed kills"

I guess I was just born to bend the rules a bit
Old 01-25-2014, 01:56 PM   #7
Phreaky Phil
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,720
Quote:
Originally Posted by Left Testicle View Post
So much Orange he couldnt see the Orange arrows
That looks great in there. We were coming down for the Waitangi weekend but a spanner has got put into the works of that plan. Probly have to be next year. Mite have to spend a week in the top end
Phreaky Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 10:49 AM   #8
Padmei
enamoured

Oddometer: 3,435
nice rr froggy
Padmei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 12:19 AM   #9
underontop
n00b

Oddometer: 4
Wicked It's not the Severne

This track doesn't follow the Severne River it's the Alma River. If you succumb to temptation & follow the fork to Red Gate, shortly after you'll find the Severne
and it's rather deeper & wider than the little Alma, & there aint no bridge on that there road.
underontop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 01:04 AM   #10
kiwipeet
Uber Cyber Loafer

Oddometer: 3,004
Nice report.

Reminded me its time to get down south and do something exciting again.

nice looking bike too btw
kiwipeet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 03:56 AM   #11
iny46
Adventurer

Oddometer: 61
Molesworth

I did the Molesworth on Thursday, 30.01.2014 from Hanmer to Seddon

fine weather, nearly no one else on the road.
Very great

Pics and vids cooming soon on

www.mittelerde-mit-dem-motorrad.de

http://www.mittelerde-mit-dem-motorrad.de
iny46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 02:34 PM   #12
CrazyFrog OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by underontop View Post
This track doesn't follow the Severne River it's the Alma River. If you succumb to temptation & follow the fork to Red Gate, shortly after you'll find the Severne
and it's rather deeper & wider than the little Alma, & there aint no bridge on that there road.
Yup, you're right, after a careful look at a topomap, yep it's the Alma river the track follows. Would be an easy cross on a trailie if exploring the Red Gate track, but did see a decent size river dissecting the track on Google Earth. No bridge, bummer.
I did notice the Severn river had a lot more water volume in it at the bridge on the Molesworth Road and though "how the hell did that river fill up so quickly?"