Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > The perfect line and other riding myths
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-11-2014, 08:24 PM   #271
Dusty1013 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 115
The police around here (only two on motorcycles) wear black but ride white Harleys with a white helmet. Being only two of them and I try not to ride through town much because there are nicer roads around town I don't see them around much. Must work alright for them.
I wouldn't kick the R6 out of my garage, like the yellow with flames too.

Dusty1013 screwed with this post 02-11-2014 at 08:32 PM
Dusty1013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 08:34 PM   #272
terrapinneck
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 238
I vote hi-viz.

I first became of hi-vis while working on the railroad. They started making us wear it a long time ago. I hated it. But then I noticed when approaching workers while I was in a hy-rail on the track, I could see them a lot sooner than people that wore street clothes.
Now on a bike, when I switch from my Aerostich blue suit (which is my cold weather friend) to my Olympia Mesh hi-vis summer gear, I can tell, people on sidewalks take notice of my hi-vis gear. Which I'm sure correlates to people in vehicles also.
Scared, no. Care about making my family a living, yes. Care about riding till I get old and grey, yes.
terrapinneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 09:08 PM   #273
PalePhase
Humour Noir

Oddometer: 824
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoVa Rider View Post
In my experience a bright helmet is the key -- the color of the bike is way too low or, if approaching, is only showing the fairing further obscured by a headlight. I suppose the color of the bike would be helpful for cross traffic.

Gear is great but it too is obscured by other cars.

Of course at night, SOLAS is king.
With the exception of the situation I described a few posts back, I think you're right as long as we're talking about being on the bike and riding.

I think where hi-vis really starts counting is when you are off the bike but still on or near the road, and chances are you didn't get into that situation because you planned it that way. Maybe the bike quit and you're having to push it or on a drizzly day your front tire found a nice section of paint and your little steed tossed you and you landed on your back with the wind and lights knocked out of you, whatever, but one way or another, you're a little hampered to get out of harm's way. That is not a time where being inconspicuous really pays off.

I don't wear high-vis with the idea I'm safe with it. I don't wear gear or a helmet to make me feel safe. I wear it only because if I get into a bad situation, I am going to need every little advantage I can get to survive.

1995 Honda VF750CD
2002 Honda VFR800
PalePhase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 01:30 AM   #274
JohnCW
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,139
Quote:
Originally Posted by terrapinneck View Post
When I switch to my Olympia Mesh hi-vis summer gear,
We may have the same jacket. I bought mine about 3 years ago at a discount as it was an end of line model. Has a zip out inner which with a skivvy underneath is more than warm enough for Sydney's winters. So I use the summer mesh jacket all year round. Very well made, recommend their stuff based upon this jacket.
JohnCW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 11:37 PM   #275
dwoodward
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,270
Quote:
Originally Posted by GlennR View Post
I wonder when we'll see motorcycles with Hi Viz paint? (Besides the Kawasaki green)
Triumph's "Dog Pecker Pink" and later "Alien Vomit Green" count?
dwoodward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 09:12 AM   #276
Weljo
Adventurer

Oddometer: 34
Started wearing a Hi-Viz jacket and gloves last year. Noticed right off the bat that a lot more people give me room while lane splitting than with the prior jacket. Plus I'm 6'2" 290lbs probably look like a giant banana coming at them.
Weljo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 07:31 AM   #277
SafetyDon
n00b

Oddometer: 3
I have nothing new to add to what's already been said.....but will that stop me??? Course not.

I spent my first career as a firefighter/paramedic and have been to more motorcycle accidents than I care to remember, although the more spectacular fatals have stuck with me. Now I am Safety Director/Risk Manager for a construction & mining company. I've been wearing Hi Viz for decades and as part of my job I read way too many studies and articles on safety.

It's a choice, I'm not for mandating anything unless of course you're at work. Then you have no choice, you wear Hi Viz, a hardhat, safety glasses, steel toed boots and gloves.

I chose motoport and personally I don't think it looks bad off the bike either. But that's coming from someone who wears a bright orange coat all week long.

Riding skill that is regularly practiced, such as max braking and swerving are your best defense. And I mean practiced as in you often go to a lot and practice. Simply having ridden 1000's of miles does not necessarily make you a safer/better rider.

ATGATT

Don
Attached Images

SafetyDon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 07:52 AM   #278
avc8130
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,287
I have 3 relevant High-Viz comments:

1. When I wear my high viz, just about everyone I walk by when I am off my motorcycle comments about how they need sunglasses or something similar.

2. A few years ago we were stuck in traffic along a road with lights. My buddy wearing high viz made it through the light and I was stuck behind. I watched him filter the traffic for what turned out to be 1/2 mile and turn into a gas station. It was very obvious to me how much his high viz stood out.

3. I was wearing my high viz in the grocery store...a lady walked right into me with her shopping cart.

YMMV...I wear high viz. I think it gets me out of tickets with the police more than makes me safer on the road.

ac
avc8130 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 07:59 AM   #279
seatec
Dutch Transplant

Oddometer: 809
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dusty1013 View Post
I wear hi-viz and think it helps with people seeing me. I don't really give much thought as to looking cool for people I don't know. I also don't really care or judge people who want to wear a t-shirt and no helmet or whatever. I have on occasion heard "Well if your that scared why even ride?" I don't ride around scared, just think it increases my ability to be seen. No false sense of security wearing it or anything like that either. I do have a nice leather jacket I wear sometimes so I ride the same either way. A personal preference what you choose to wear when you ride and no business of mine. So are you a hi-viz believer or think it doesn't matter or is very low on the cool factor?
This may very well be the most ignorant statement I have ever heard in regards to riding.
Old 04-04-2014, 12:39 PM   #280
PalePhase
Humour Noir

Quote:
Originally Posted by SafetyDon View Post
I have nothing new to add to what's already been said.....but will that stop me??? Course not.
I think you're going to be a good fit here.

1995 Honda VF750CD
2002 Honda VFR800
Old 04-04-2014, 01:47 PM   #281
Mr_Gone
FIGJAM

Oddometer: 7,859
I don't have any photos of my gear, but I have a high-viz Klim Badlands and a high-viz Shoei helmet. Up until two months ago, I had all black gear. Now I've noticed more people looking at me, both on the road and even stopped at lights.

The strangest thing is that strangers are now waving at me. Not sure why, except maybe they're indicating that they see me.

But I do notice "the look" a lot more often in high-viz gear. And that's why I bought it.
Old 04-04-2014, 01:57 PM   #282
manfromthestix
Lost in Space

Oddometer: 2,188
I bought a new vented jacket and pants last year for my wife and I and we very seriously pondered Hi-Viz. My wife, a very frequent passenger, said she thought it would make her head swim and maybe even sick to her stomach looking at it the entire time we were on the bike, maybe even enough to cause her to on my back. Also, you can't see my jacket when she's on pillion, so she'd have to have one too in order for it to be visible. We chose some clothing a bit less vibrant. I think it probably helps, but we weren't pleased with the whole "visually toxic" concept.

I laughed my ass of reading about the guy who got hit with a shopping cart in a store while wearing his hi-viz jacket! And that person will go jump in a car and drive off just as oblivious behind the wheel as she was in the store.
Old 04-04-2014, 04:42 PM   #283
PalePhase
Humour Noir

Quote:
Originally Posted by manfromthestix View Post
... we very seriously pondered Hi-Viz. My wife, a very frequent passenger, said she thought it would make her head swim and maybe even sick to her stomach looking at it the entire time we were on the bike, maybe even enough to cause her to on my back.
That's a new one.

1995 Honda VF750CD
2002 Honda VFR800
Old 04-04-2014, 07:35 PM   #284
randyo
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,622
Quote:
Originally Posted by avc8130 View Post
I have 3 relevant High-Viz comments:

1. When I wear my high viz, just about everyone I walk by when I am off my motorcycle comments about how they need sunglasses or something similar.

2. A few years ago we were stuck in traffic along a road with lights. My buddy wearing high viz made it through the light and I was stuck behind. I watched him filter the traffic for what turned out to be 1/2 mile and turn into a gas station. It was very obvious to me how much his high viz stood out.
c
I have been called a Power Ranger a couple of times

a dozen or so years ago when my Aerostich Roadcrafter still fit me (I tell people it shrunk and I used to go on group rides, whoever was leading the ride would always ask me to ride sweep cause they could spot me so easy a half mile back in their mirror and know everybody had caught up
99 SV650
82 XV920R
A man with a gun is a citizen
A man without a gun is a subject
randyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 08:55 PM   #285
homme de fer
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 201
Sort of a non believer

If you were to compare a non high vis to a high vis suit, there isn't any doubt the high vis will be easier to see from all distances in all light types.

The problem is most accidents happen because of driver inattention; how is a driver going to see your high vis suit when they are far too busy typing out a text and posting a selfie to Facebook?

I ride assuming that all cagers are blind mouth breathing retards and do my best to stay out their way.
homme de fer is offline   Reply With Quote