User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-02-2014, 08:19 PM   #76
paddyhannen
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 102
Hi there Oman

Hi Im working out of Muscat for a couple of months, Probably try and catch up with some local ADV'er s for an intel swap. Anyone around on the 7th/8th? (fly in, medicals)
Old 02-09-2014, 07:02 PM   #77
Chaiku232
Viva la Vida!

Oddometer: 51
rent or borrow a bike in Muscat?

I'm currently in Muscat, would anyone be willing to bike swap me for mine in USA, or Peru? I can even pitch in some money just to borrow it for 1-3 days, just need to shoot some pictures driving around. I'm quite experienced and will take care of like my own. Here's my blog so you can see who I am.

Or if anyone know where to rent on besides the harley dealership

Thanks guys!

www.Expeditionsouth.com
http://www.YourExpeditionSouth.com
Chaiku232 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 01:55 PM   #78
Craneguy
British Hooligan

Oddometer: 1,027
I have a spare bike or two. Check your PM's
Old 08-04-2014, 02:37 PM   #79
schmidtle
Smitty

Oddometer: 71
Great Information

This is a great threat with lots of good information. I'm glad I found it.

I'm currently in Germany, on a round-the-world trip. My wife just took a contract in Oman to teach, and I'll be leaving my bike in Europe - somewhere - and flying to Oman with her. I'm excited about riding this part of the world for a few months, before we both fly back to Europe and pickup where we left off here.
Old 08-04-2014, 11:49 PM   #80
muddysoles
The cubicle traveler

Oddometer: 168
Quote:
Originally Posted by schmidtle View Post
This is a great threat with lots of good information. I'm glad I found it.

I'm currently in Germany, on a round-the-world trip. My wife just took a contract in Oman to teach, and I'll be leaving my bike in Europe - somewhere - and flying to Oman with her. I'm excited about riding this part of the world for a few months, before we both fly back to Europe and pickup where we left off here.
Hopefully you will be visiting in the winters. The summers here a bit harsh. Do give us a shout once here!
muddysoles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2014, 03:16 AM   #81
fishernz
Adventurer

Oddometer: 10
Hi all,

I need some info on storing my bike in Dubai or Oman for 4 or 5 months.

I'm riding from Aussie to UK on a wee Yamaha TTR250. I'm currently in India and with winter fast approaching Europe I don't think I'll make it plus my bank balance is getting rather low. So I'd like to store it somewhere, head home and work, then come back around March/April and continue to Europe.

I have a Carnet for the bike. Does anyone know what the rules are for leaving a bike on a Carnet in Dubai or Oman? Can it be done?

And also, can anyone recommend an affordable place to store my bike? Anyone got a big garage?

Thanks

Mark

fishernz@gmail.com
fishernz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2014, 02:22 AM   #82
Vicks
I love sand !!!

Oddometer: 3,048
Hi guys,

any of you planning rides during the upcoming long Eid holidays suspected to be from 3rd to 6th Oct ?

cheers
Old 09-23-2014, 04:24 AM   #83
JamieInMuscat
Ready to Race

Oddometer: 1
Hi

Hello, I'm new here. Recently arrived in Muscat and interested in riding out on bikes (or Jeeps if anyone is into that) or just a meet.

Could use some advice on insuring and registering my bike which I've imported from UK.

Regards,
Jamie
JamieInMuscat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2014, 07:45 AM   #84
Craneguy
British Hooligan

Oddometer: 1,027
Well a year on and I've gone through a TW200, GSA1200 and now have a KLR650 and a Ducati Multistrada. Made some great friends and taken some amazing rides on and off-road.

My time is now short. I finish my project on the 30th and then it's off to Riyadh.

If you'd like to hook up with our diverse riding group, drop me a message on whatsapp and I'll add you in (Nine Five Nine Zero One Six Eight Six)

We called the group "The Slippery Twats" after an unfortunate incident with 2 Ducati's and a slick wadi crossing

Craneguy screwed with this post 09-23-2014 at 07:51 AM
Craneguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2014, 01:49 AM   #85
Gornzilla
Registered Slob

Oddometer: 188
I've been here less than 2 months. I don't have a bike here. Not sure if I'll get one because I'm still making payments on a '47 Velocette MAC 350 I bought in the US right before I came here. I'm up in Rustaq.

Maybe I'll get something small and learn how to do trials riding.

-Dave
http://nokilli.com/rtw
Gornzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 10:54 PM   #86
stuza
Adventurer

Oddometer: 59
Join us!

Hey guys!

so a bunch of us have a WhatsApp channel that everyone is welcome to join. We generally go out most weekends, sometimes twice, and explore the graded roads/tracks of Muscat and Oman.

PM myself, Muddy Soles or Jamie for more info

(just for reference, we've got bikes like KLRs, BMW 1200/800's, KTM 950/990/1190 and Super Tenere)
stuza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2014, 10:21 AM   #87
WorldTravelerX
n00b

Oddometer: 1
Question Anyone up for a Oman road trip for a week in December?

I'm in the US and looking at how to use 3 weeks of vacation before year end.

It looks like renting a bike for 7 to 10 days in mid-December in Oman might be fun.

Anyone have any super compelling reasons why I should do this, or should NOT do this? I've traveled a fair amount overseas, but I have never rented a bike overseas. I have taken two week long bike trips in the USA.

Also, is anyone looking for a travel companion for a week or so? I'm not super keen on off-road riding, more just riding around and seeing sights and camping out a few nights. I don't want to go all "Long Way Round" and get stuck in the worst roads in Russia.

And the Internet says that these guys are the only source of motorcycle rentals in Oman. http://rentmotorcycleoman.com/ Has anyone had dealings with them?

Or does anyone want to work out a motorcycle swap? I have a 2002 Triumph Sprint RS in Dallas, TX that I can swap.
WorldTravelerX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2014, 11:00 PM   #88
stuza
Adventurer

Oddometer: 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by WorldTravelerX View Post
....stuff....
Hi!

Yes, that's Hamood and comes out with us occasionally at the weekends, very nice guy and very helpful. You are limited with choice out here as not many companies survive in the motorcycle trade (due to very limited business) but Hamood's a good guy, email him.

Oman seems to be by far and away the best place (out of Qatar, UAE, Saudi and Oman) the best place for touring. It's a very large country (although not as big as the US!) and has some fantastic scenery. Well worth a visit! When we say "off-road" we generally mean graded roads and, whilst it's not essential here in Oman, you will miss out on some awesome scenery.

There are a few guys in our group that like camping and might well be up for a tour. PM the guys I mentioned above.
stuza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2014, 01:16 AM   #89
Mahsita
n00b

Oddometer: 7
Shipping the bike from Djibouti to Oman

Hi guys,

I am traveling on my motorcycle in Ethiopia and originally I was planning to take a boat from Djibouti to Yemen and then ride through Yemen, Oman, Dubai, then a ferry to Iran.... But I was rejected the Yemeni visa and now need to find a fast alternative. I was thinking of getting a transit visa through Saudi but considering that I am a female solo rider;) the chances are not to high that Ill be given any visa. So now I was sussgested to ship the bike from Djibouti to Oman. Do you know any ferries or alternatively a cargo ship from there? Any contact infromation, price, dates, procedures.....?

To be honest, I don't want to end up spending too much money either as I already spent a lot on sending my bike by air form Madrid to Addis and it cost a fortune. But Ethiopia is worth it.

Brennan, I see that at the end you skipped Iran. Such a shame. Where about are you now?

Thanks a lot,
Mahsa

planing
Quote:
Originally Posted by muddysoles View Post
That was my grey Super Tenere on display there. Regarding those BMW bikes, I was looking at it before buying the S10. The guy has buggered the 1200GS, like how most Omanis do with their vehicles. With no service at the BMW showroom here, IMHO I wouldn't recommend those bikes. But then, YMMV.

Also, check out the Royal Enfield showroom at Hamriya. He deals in used bikes and last I was there, saw a KLR and a barely used 1200GS for sale.