User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-10-2014, 05:02 AM   #4891
RoyQ
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,184
Sunday afternoon ride

Took the little DR200 out on a little ride. Such a fun little bike and will darn near go anywhere. I see any little trail or what resembles one from the road and I'm off in it in no time. Its quiet so no one hears you if by chance you are trespassing

50 miles seems like you've explored a state. It uses almost no gas and has a 3.4 gal stock tank. The seat is typical DR, brutal!! I have been messing with the carb jetting trying to get the factory lean condition out of it. It's about as good as it gets right now. Easy to work on, carb can be off it in 15 minutes. Got some Acerbis handguards coming for it this week. Hope to keep the levers from getting snapped off by my wife's riding style. this little pup will be taken with us to Moab in May. It's got 173 miles on it now, its a 09 model lol

And yes it climbed that slick muddy hill with ease spinning up several times on the death wing tires.
WERA Expert #826
RoyQ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 06:15 AM   #4892
tslaw
aged n00b

Oddometer: 2,632
Sounds like an ad in J Peterman's catalog - were you wearing the urban sombrero?

tslaw screwed with this post 02-10-2014 at 07:24 AM Reason: Tried to add a smilie
tslaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 08:51 AM   #4893
Red99ryder
Adventurer

Oddometer: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyQ View Post
Took the little DR200 out on a little ride. Such a fun little bike and will darn near go anywhere. I see any little trail or what resembles one from the road and I'm off in it in no time. Its quiet so no one hears you if by chance you are trespassing

50 miles seems like you've explored a state. It uses almost no gas and has a 3.4 gal stock tank. The seat is typical DR, brutal!! I have been messing with the carb jetting trying to get the factory lean condition out of it. It's about as good as it gets right now. Easy to work on, carb can be off it in 15 minutes. Got some Acerbis handguards coming for it this week. Hope to keep the levers from getting snapped off by my wife's riding style. this little pup will be taken with us to Moab in May. It's got 173 miles on it now, its a 09 model lol

And yes it climbed that slick muddy hill with ease spinning up several times on the death wing tires.
I like my Super Sherpa too for the same reasons , very light and easy to handle . I cant keep up with the BIG bikes so holler at me if you want some company riding .

I did do a Saddle Sore 1000 in State Mississippi On the Sherpa awhile back . Lame trip report below
When I bought the Super Sherpa I was thinking that I could teach My girlfriend how to ride on it .
It Turned out she really had no desire to ride her own bike and is happy riding pillion . Which I guess is
a good thing because it turns out i really like the bike and i would have had to get my own if she road this one .
To me its the Perfect dual sport bike , Its decent down the hyw at 60 , and since its so light, real easy to handle off road .

I had ridden the bike on some 2-300 mile trips and wanted to see how it would do on a longer trip so decided an in state ss1000 would be a good ride .
The main reason i did this is i didnt want to get 500 miles from home and find out i was beat and could'nt go on . The way the route laid out i had some outs early in the ride and towards the end of the ride where i would only be an hour or so from home .
In Planning the route i didnt want to plan too much interstate , while the bike can do 70, a 249 cc thumper is not exactly a Highway King , For the same reason i didnt want to do all
2 lane roads due to lack of power to pass traffic quickly .My route ended up being around 150 miles of interstate and most of the rest 4 lane divided highway where the speed limit was 55-65 MPH .

Basic route was
Ridgeland Ms to Mccomb Ms via I55
Mccomb Ms to Natchez ms via hwy 98
Natchez ms to Walls Ms via hwy 61
Walls Ms to Corinth Ms via Hwy 302 and Hwy 72
Corinth Ms to Lucedale Ms via hwy 45 and hwy 57
Lucedale Ms To Mccomb ms Via hwy 98
Mccomb ms to Jackson ms via I55 .

Bike prep

Oil Change
Chain lube adjustment
check tires

Bike Mods

Small windshield
Russle Seat
GPS
Koplin aux fuel Container

Trip Highlights
I left early in the Morning and the fog was pretty thick untill i got to Natchez .
Its funny it didnt seem to bother me as much as it usually does on a bigger bike , maybe it was because i knew i could hit the ditch if i needed to and be ok .

It started raining around Tunica ms and didnt stop untill i reached Corinth Ms . The stich held up ok in the rain , but the weather protection lacked some on the Sherpa .

Took a good break in Cornith as that was around the midway point and had Lunch

Next was the longest leg of the ride , Corinth to Lucedale ms , I streched the gas on this leg and when i got to Lucedale took close to the max 2.4 gallons the sherpa holds . I never used the aux fuel i carried on the trip , but it did allow me to push the stock tank to its limits . I would normally just ride till i had to hit reserve and then start looking for gas and all worked well . I also had fuel stops that i needed to do to prove my route .

Took a coffee break in Lucedale and headed home , at this point i was at the point of no return and to get home was to finish the ride .

Conclusion

The ride was ceritfied In State Mississippi 1050 miles in under 24 hours . What suprised me the most was i didnt feel too bad at all at the end of the ride . i was more wore out on my first Ss1000 i rode on the r1100rt than i was after this ride
I would say that the Super Sherpa is the little bike that Could !!!!!

Old 02-10-2014, 11:58 AM   #4894
RoyQ
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red99ryder View Post
I like my Super Sherpa too for the same reasons , very light and easy to handle . I cant keep up with the BIG bikes so holler at me if you want some company riding .

I did do a Saddle Sore 1000 in State Mississippi On the Sherpa awhile back . Lame trip report below
When I bought the Super Sherpa I was thinking that I could teach My girlfriend how to ride on it .
It Turned out she really had no desire to ride her own bike and is happy riding pillion . Which I guess is
a good thing because it turns out i really like the bike and i would have had to get my own if she road this one .
To me its the Perfect dual sport bike , Its decent down the hyw at 60 , and since its so light, real easy to handle off road .

I had ridden the bike on some 2-300 mile trips and wanted to see how it would do on a longer trip so decided an in state ss1000 would be a good ride .
The main reason i did this is i didnt want to get 500 miles from home and find out i was beat and could'nt go on . The way the route laid out i had some outs early in the ride and towards the end of the ride where i would only be an hour or so from home .
In Planning the route i didnt want to plan too much interstate , while the bike can do 70, a 249 cc thumper is not exactly a Highway King , For the same reason i didnt want to do all
2 lane roads due to lack of power to pass traffic quickly .My route ended up being around 150 miles of interstate and most of the rest 4 lane divided highway where the speed limit was 55-65 MPH .

Basic route was
Ridgeland Ms to Mccomb Ms via I55
Mccomb Ms to Natchez ms via hwy 98
Natchez ms to Walls Ms via hwy 61
Walls Ms to Corinth Ms via Hwy 302 and Hwy 72
Corinth Ms to Lucedale Ms via hwy 45 and hwy 57
Lucedale Ms To Mccomb ms Via hwy 98
Mccomb ms to Jackson ms via I55 .

Bike prep

Oil Change
Chain lube adjustment
check tires

Bike Mods

Small windshield
Russle Seat
GPS
Koplin aux fuel Container

Trip Highlights
I left early in the Morning and the fog was pretty thick untill i got to Natchez .
Its funny it didnt seem to bother me as much as it usually does on a bigger bike , maybe it was because i knew i could hit the ditch if i needed to and be ok .

It started raining around Tunica ms and didnt stop untill i reached Corinth Ms . The stich held up ok in the rain , but the weather protection lacked some on the Sherpa .

Took a good break in Cornith as that was around the midway point and had Lunch

Next was the longest leg of the ride , Corinth to Lucedale ms , I streched the gas on this leg and when i got to Lucedale took close to the max 2.4 gallons the sherpa holds . I never used the aux fuel i carried on the trip , but it did allow me to push the stock tank to its limits . I would normally just ride till i had to hit reserve and then start looking for gas and all worked well . I also had fuel stops that i needed to do to prove my route .

Took a coffee break in Lucedale and headed home , at this point i was at the point of no return and to get home was to finish the ride .

Conclusion

The ride was ceritfied In State Mississippi 1050 miles in under 24 hours . What suprised me the most was i didnt feel too bad at all at the end of the ride . i was more wore out on my first Ss1000 i rode on the r1100rt than i was after this ride
I would say that the Super Sherpa is the little bike that Could !!!!!

That is an impressive ride on a small bike. I don't ride this bike much actually no one rides it. It's my wife's bike but she shows no interest in the thing when she can hop on her Zuma 125 and not have to do anything but twist the throttle and go. Bought this little DR200 brand new in 2011. It was a 09 leftover model. She has rode it maybe 2 times. I have rode it almost all of the 173 miles it's got on it. We are taking it and my Super Tenere to Moab in May. She said she may ride it some around town and in some easy dirt roads. I probably will ride it places it shouldn't be going the days that she doesn't care to ride. Its a two week trip so plenty of time there to do what ever. The little DR will do 70 mph indicated. Probably about 6 mph high if I had to guess. It's geared a little tall but doesn't seem to hurt its ability off road. Plenty of torque in that little engine. It totes me pretty good but I'm only about 165 with gear. It wheelies good for about two gears
WERA Expert #826
Old 02-13-2014, 08:31 PM   #4895
mschviuz
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 100
Quote:

There is a good reason it ONLY has 173 miles on it
Old 02-14-2014, 05:26 AM   #4896
RoyQ
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mschviuz View Post
There is a good reason it ONLY has 173 miles on it
Nah its a good little bike just behind to much stuff in the shop to easily get out on a regular basis. Amazing how something so simple could be so much fun.

Went to install the Acerbis handguards last night and stoopid suzuki welded a plug inside each end of the stock handlebar. So I'm off to Got Gear today to grab a nice alumium bar either Renthal or Pro Taper or what ever they have in stock. New grips, bars and hand guards it should be good to go then.
WERA Expert #826
Old 02-14-2014, 05:31 AM   #4897
Switchblade315
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,629
Quote:
Nah its a good little bike just behind to much stuff in the shop to easily get out on a regular basis. Amazing how something so simple could be so much fun.

Went to install the Acerbis handguards last night and stoopid suzuki welded a plug inside each end of the stock handlebar. So I'm off to Got Gear today to grab a nice alumium bar either Renthal or Pro Taper or what ever they have in stock. New grips, bars and hand guards it should be good to go then.

I've ran into that before on a dirt bike but we cut the ends off anyway to make it easier to get between trees. you can cut a 1/8th of a inch off the end and get that plug out.

"My mind jumped off the high dive into the deep end of the gutter and took scuba gear with it" Me.
Switchblade315 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 05:43 AM   #4898
RoyQ
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Switchblade315 View Post
I've ran into that before on a dirt bike but we cut the ends off anyway to make it easier to get between trees. you can cut a 1/8th of a inch off the end and get that plug out.
Thought about doing that but the stock bars are already very narrow. It won't be used in the woods in between trees so a 32" regular aluminum bar off the shelf will be fine. Actually better for making the handguards fit, not much room up there wtih huge blinkers and front brake line hose routed in the way. Plus the bend/height on the stockers is crap, she hates the angle and I agree.

I actually believe the end is not a plug cap but a steel rod added in the bar and tack welded on the end for vibration absorption and cutting it would be tough and it would still be in there. They did it this way because they didn't have to use bar ends on it. My DR650 had bar ends and a hollow bar.
WERA Expert #826
Old 02-14-2014, 06:29 AM   #4899
Switchblade315
Beastly Adventurer

I don't remember what stock set of bars we cut the plug out of but the plug was about two inched long. And like you I think it was there as a bar end replacment. But we just cut the bar about a 1/8 inch back from the end just enough to cut through the bar its self all the way around and not the plug and then pulled the plug out. But after the first time it hit the ground they where replaced with renthals anyway. They do normally feel better anyway. This is one thing that this new CB500X worrys me with. It has a bend like a quad. I have heard of some useing renthal quad bars on it.

"My mind jumped off the high dive into the deep end of the gutter and took scuba gear with it" Me.
Old 02-16-2014, 11:00 AM   #4900
AGrant
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 287
Where did I ride in MS today? Work! Uhgh!
Old 02-16-2014, 11:06 AM   #4901
AGrant
Gnarly Adventurer

Hey RoyQ. Next time you get that Suzuki out, let me know. I'll go ride with ya. I just picked up a KLX250s and need to get it dirty!
Old 02-16-2014, 11:09 AM   #4902
AGrant
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:

Hey RoyQ. Next time you get that Suzuki out, let me know. I'll go ride with ya. I just picked up a KLX250s and need to get it dirty!
Old 02-16-2014, 04:36 PM   #4903
Switchblade315
Beastly Adventurer

well me and Stef spent the day on the new 500X, Let BZShadow barrow the FZ cause it needed to be road as well. Went down and ate some of Mr D's chicken, man they where busy today. the little bike preformed super, got 68.9mpg and at no point did I feel it was lacking in power. we swapped bikes on the way back and BZ said Honda did something right with this bike. once I get all the mods done and some highway pegs the FZ may be on the market.

Old 02-17-2014, 02:34 PM   #4904
babarnette
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 903
I rode to work today. Felt good to get out and ride again even though I'm still a little sick.

Edit: Made a short reservoir loop on my way home from work too.

babarnette screwed with this post 02-17-2014 at 05:22 PM
babarnette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 08:49 PM   #4905
therealjared
Adventurer

Oddometer: 81
I was able to get out for a short ride the other day for the first time since the baby was born. I stuck fairly close to home, and decided to go up to Sand Mountain near Walthall now that deer season is over. Quite a view for Mississippi!

therealjared is offline   Reply With Quote