Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-15-2014, 07:31 AM   #46
Phil_Ammendolia OP
No Guz No Glory

Oddometer: 178
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kavan View Post
Hi Phil,

What's the difference between MX442 and MX456?

K.
Hi Kavan,

You MIGHT see the twice. I wrote a response and thought I saw it posted, but... Hmmm.

The MX456 is our top of the line off-road helmet. It is the helmet that Cyril Despres wore while winning the Dakar Rally in 2013. In 2014 Cyril wore it again to a 4th place finish and Daniel Mazzucco wore one while winning the quad division. We had nearly 100 riders wearing an MX456 a6 Dakar in 2014. It is a proven performer.

It's a fiberglass shell designed to accommodate modern neck braces with a flat platform at the back of the neck. The cheek pads are inflatable with the built-in air pump for a custom fit. Super wide eye port will work for all modern brands of goggles. It's light weight. The liner is a technical fabric and is fully removable and washable.

I the U.S. we offer the MX456 in two versions: Less expensive DOT version for trail riders (same basic helmet wihout the ECE standard is available for about $170. The ECE/DOT version for racers has a suggested retail of $209.95.

The MX442 is our value priced MX helmet and seriously might be the best value in a fiberglass, DOT/ECE helmet on the market. SUPER lightweight at only 2.47 pounds for a medium size. Large eye port. Removable, washable technical fabric liner. NOTE: The MX442 runs a little large. I normally wear a medium, whether in an Arai, Shoei, Bell or LS2. With the MX442 I wear a small. The suggested retail is $149.95. There are some smokin' deals on last year's Vault and Jump graphics out there. I've seen those graphics for as little as $89.

Did I answer what you were looking for?

Thanks,
Phil
Phil_Ammendolia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 09:34 AM   #47
Kavan
Adventurer

Oddometer: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil_Ammendolia View Post
Hi Kavan,

You MIGHT see the twice. I wrote a response and thought I saw it posted, but... Hmmm.

I the U.S. we offer the MX456 in two versions: Less expensive DOT version for trail riders (same basic helmet wihout the ECE standard is available for about $170. The ECE/DOT version for racers has a suggested retail of $209.95.

Did I answer what you were looking for?

Thanks,
Phil
Thank for clarification, I should have wait for your respond didn't know MX456 offer 2 versions Dot and both ECE/DOT racer version. Bought a Flag graphic ($169) yesterday. Just check, it only has DOT label on it. It's easily misunderstood as MX456 advertise as wore by Dakar Rally winner and many racers and end up getting less expensive Trail rider version. It's kind of misleading. I'm disappointed with Chaparral that sales person didn't tell me or know it has two versions, I don't think they carry ECE/DOT racer version. I would have happy to pay more.

Here is MX456 link page, it does say DOT and ECE approved.
http://www.chaparral-racing.com/Prod...tabs_container

Hope Chaparral can exchange with racer version or return.

K

Kavan screwed with this post 02-15-2014 at 09:47 AM
Kavan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 05:49 PM   #48
2 SPOT
wannabe

Oddometer: 3,058
Quote:
We had nearly 100 riders wearing an MX456 a6 Dakar in 2014. It is a proven performer.

Thanks,
Phil

how is this statement verified? did they all crash and walk away w/o head injury? or is a helmet deemed a proven performer because it simply stays on the wearers head? i guess ALL my past helmets were proven performers

i'm just poking of course,, but that is a funny statement.

oh and BTW kavan, i thought all the helmets were DOT and ECE when i started shopping for a new dual sport helmet,,, i learned later they areant, its a bit misleading.
2 SPOT is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 06:13 PM   #49
poondangle
Slow

Oddometer: 1,256
I bought a 442, here's my initial impression

Quote:
Originally Posted by poondangle View Post
I've been searching for another helmet. I wanted a dedicated off-road only helmet so my XD4 would not take a beating. I wear the XD4, not because its the most expensive helmet, but because its the most comfortable helment I've ever owned. Arai's quality and fit and attention to detail is pretty well documented. I really do love that helmet. I have an oval head, that, for me, is hard to find a helmet that fits.

Anyway, I can't afford another Arai helmet, so I went searching for something a bit less expensive. I don't mind sacrificing on all the Arai amenities, to get a reasonably good helment and an affordable price. Its going to be beat up a bit anyways. My head just won't take HJC (thats the price range I wanted to be in). I just can't wear one of those. Other inmates suggested massaging the foam to make a better fir, but I just didn't feel comfortable doing that.

I contacted LS2, inmate Phil_Ammendolia, about their fit. He suggested that I try the LS2 MX442, as Atomic Moto was running a really good deal on them. I checked it out. That helmet normally runs in the $130 range. I got mine at Atomic Moto for $77 plus shipping, $87.74 to my door. For that amount of money, I'll take it and try it. If it doesn't work, then I'm not crying over $77!!! Here's my initial impressions:

***Note Phil warned me to make sure I ordered one size smaller than I normally wear. I usually wear a medium so I ordered a small***

1. This thing is as ugly a helmet as I've ever seen. But then again, I'm one of the ugliest people you'll ever meet, so its a wash. Seriously, I think the graphics are a horror show. But, it was $77, so who cares right.

2. Phil was right about the size, the small fits, and I doubt a medium would.

3. It does have a nice long oval shape. I do have to squeeze it by my fat cheeks, but I would say the fit is better than I would have expected for $77. I wore it around the office for about a half hour, until my assistant started to question my sanity. No forehead pain. It is tight on the cheeks, but I'm sure that will work out a bit over time. I don't have goggle with me, I'll try those tonight.

4. WOW THIS THING IS SUPER LIGHT WEIGHT!!!!!!! I hope that doesn't mean its light in the protection department. It shouldn't be, its DOT and ECE R22.05 (whatever that means). This thing is really light weight.

5. The liner material isn't Arai material, but its as good as any HJC I've owned. I also owned an AFX, and the liner material is better than that.

6. Overall, the fit and finish is pretty OK, definitely better than I would expect for $77. I would say its comparable to the last HJC I owned and tossed 'cause it didn't fit.

Here's some pictures. I will take it out for a ride and keep updating this thread as I put miles on it. Initially though, I would say its a winner, and I would purchase again. Hopefully with better graphics.

[IMG]
Untitled by Poondangle, on Flickr[/IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]
poondangle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 06:24 PM   #50
clint64
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 101
Phil

Does the MX 453 run true to size according to the size charts?
clint64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 10:44 PM   #51
Phil_Ammendolia OP
No Guz No Glory

Quote:
Originally Posted by clint64 View Post
Phil

Does the MX 453 run true to size according to the size charts?
Yes. I've been at a lot of consumer shows and have probably fit over 30 people in the MX453. The vast majority have worn what they felt was their typical size.

The MX453 is a long oval which is probably the most common head shape in the U.S. I get a very high percentage of people who try it telling me they really love the fit.

Thanks,
Phil

Phil_Ammendolia screwed with this post 02-15-2014 at 10:58 PM
Old 02-15-2014, 10:56 PM   #52
Phil_Ammendolia OP
No Guz No Glory

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2 SPOT View Post
how is this statement verified? did they all crash and walk away w/o head injury? or is a helmet deemed a proven performer because it simply stays on the wearers head? i guess ALL my past helmets were proven performers

i'm just poking of course,, but that is a funny statement.

oh and BTW kavan, i thought all the helmets were DOT and ECE when i started shopping for a new dual sport helmet,,, i learned later they areant, its a bit misleading.
Hi 2 Spot,

I understand how that statement can sound, but I can explain what I mean by "proven performer." There are a lot of helmets that look the part, but under tough conditions, fail. Gaskets that surround the face port and bottom of the helmet fall off. Liners don't wick moisture, lose their shape fast and fall apart. Parts fall off. And yes, though not often, some people get hurt due to helmets claiming to meet specs they don't really meet. Dakar will find the weak points in any equipment and our team riders have been very happy with them. Hope that makes a bit more sense out of my answer.

Thanks,
Phil
Old 02-15-2014, 11:08 PM   #53
AZcacti
Dope on a Rope

Oddometer: 1,320
Quote:
Yes. I've been at a lot of consumer shows and have probably fit over 30 people in the MX453. The vast majority have worn what they felt was their typical size.

The MX453 is a long oval which is probably the most common head shape in the U.S. I get a very high percentage of people who try it telling me they really love the fit.

Thanks,
Phil
Confirmed Long Oval shape and industry standard sizing. Took delivery if an Mx 453 this week. Very comfortable, cheek pads are a little tight, but those will probably loosen up with use. Very satisfied so far!
AZcacti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 12:05 AM   #54
Kavan
Adventurer

Hi Phil,

Is MX456E launch race version? How can I tell different between trial and race model? Both description are same! When I go back to Chaparral on Monday, I want to ask for correct model. Thanks!

http://www.chaparral-racing.com/Prod...456E-1031.aspx

Kavan
Old 02-16-2014, 06:26 AM   #55
Phil_Ammendolia OP
No Guz No Glory

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kavan View Post
Hi Phil,

Is MX456E launch race version? How can I tell different between trial and race model? Both description are same! When I go back to Chaparral on Monday, I want to ask for correct model. Thanks!

http://www.chaparral-racing.com/Prod...456E-1031.aspx

Kavan

Hi Kavan,

The MX456E have been out of stock, but the shipment is on the water and will be available in a week or two. The pump buttons on the Trail version are at the back on the flat rear of the helmet. On the E they are inside the chin bar. If you send me an IM, I'll send you a note when the E is available.

Thanks,
Phil
Old 02-16-2014, 02:13 PM   #56
clint64
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 101
Quote:

Thanks,
Phil
Thanks for the confirmation. Going to place an order next week.
clint64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 05:34 PM   #57
2 SPOT
wannabe

Oddometer: 3,058
Quote:
Hi 2 Spot,

I understand how that statement can sound, but I can explain what I mean by "proven performer."

Thanks,
Phil
i was just being sarcastic,, but i gotta give you props for the amount of time you spend replying to comments and general Q's by folks here
2 SPOT is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 06:00 PM   #58
Phil_Ammendolia OP
No Guz No Glory

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2 SPOT View Post
i was just being sarcastic,, but i gotta give you props for the amount of time you spend replying to comments and general Q's by folks here
Hey man,

Thank you. I appreciate it.

Phil
Old 02-17-2014, 07:10 PM   #59
Kavan
Adventurer

Hi Phil,

Thank you for patiently answer all the questions. PM sent! I would like to be inform when MX456E back in stock again. I like the fit of the helmet so Hopefully not too long.

Looking forward to hear back from you.

K.
Old 02-17-2014, 08:47 PM   #60
BadBrett
Ridge Runner

453's

PM sent to ya Phil.......
BadBrett is offline   Reply With Quote