User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-11-2014, 11:47 AM   #1
Idahosam OP
Set Adrift

Oddometer: 4,107
Idahoan Riding through Louisiana

Hello Louisiana or is it Howdy? Would like to know if any of you locals can direct me to good places to eat (local cuisine) through southern part of the state. My intent is to come in from Port Arthur and stay on highway 82. I plan on spending a couple of days in Lafayette for the local Mardi Gras as I heard it's pretty good.

Any information provided would be greatly appreciated. Riding a 06 tiger so no off roading, just the back-roads.

Really looking forward to discovering this part of the country. I lived 7 years in Leesville as a kid (Army Brat) but never been into Cajun country.

Anything I should watch out for- avoid or must see, etc.. I'll be there towards end of this month.

To travel is to discover that everyone is wrong about other countries.
Aldous Huxley
Idahosam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 07:54 PM   #2
Idahosam OP
Set Adrift

Well, 4 days and no response, not even a squeak.... guess I'll just have to discove it out all on my on.

Flying tomorrow See you out there

Aldous Huxley
Old 02-16-2014, 07:01 AM   #3
mglsite
Adventurer

Oddometer: 50
On Eating

Being you are from Idaho, anywhere you eat will be a vast improvement from anything in Idaho, except for Steak.

I'll give you better beef then we have. But, if you have a way to cook it, stop at any of the little stores on the back roads. Many have there own butcher shops and their own recipes for sausage and boudin. Now this happens only until you get to the Mississippi. Then they are gone.

On the East side of the River, the good restaurants starts(sorry SW La.)
Any neighborhood restaurant is more then likely good. The usually have and seafood / Italian thyme. Stay away from the chains.

I hope this helps
Old 02-17-2014, 12:54 PM   #4
bradp
Adventurer

Oddometer: 17
Dupueys in Abbeville has really good seafood.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
bradp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 01:44 PM   #5
Idahosam OP
Set Adrift

Quote:
Originally Posted by mglsite View Post
Being you are from Idaho, anywhere you eat will be a vast improvement from anything in Idaho, except for Steak.

I'll give you better beef then we have. But, if you have a way to cook it, stop at any of the little stores on the back roads. Many have there own butcher shops and their own recipes for sausage and boudin. Now this happens only until you get to the Mississippi. Then they are gone.

On the East side of the River, the good restaurants starts(sorry SW La.)
Any neighborhood restaurant is more then likely good. The usually have and seafood / Italian thyme. Stay away from the chains.

I hope this helps
That's the kind of information I was needing to hear. Thank You! You'll get no argument from me about the differences in food between Idaho and Louisiana! My Dad always told me the small mom and pop places that have the most PU's parked at is the place to eat, so with that; that's waht I will keeping an eye out for.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradp View Post
Dupueys in Abbeville has really good seafood.

bradp... thank you I'll look for it. I will be staying in Lafayette for a few days and doing some rides out from there as a base. I've heard the Mari Gras there is pretty good.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
So I'm getting my bike running today Just north of Houston.

Again thanks for the info.... see you out there

Aldous Huxley
Old 02-17-2014, 05:16 PM   #6
mglsite
Adventurer

Boudin

If you are around Scott, La. You have to get your Boudin at the Best Stop. It's north of Scott about 1/2 mile off I 10. The smoked is the best.
Old 02-17-2014, 05:20 PM   #7
bradp
Adventurer

I'm originally from one of the town you will be passing through, Cameron. There is pretty much nothing there now, make sure you fill up in Cameron because gas stations are pretty much non existent until you get near the intracostal bridge south of Abbeville. As for parades, this Saturday is the carencro parade and the Scott parade is Sunday. If you are searching for boudin on your trip you have three good options in Scott near the harley shop. Billy's, dons, and best stop. My favorite of the three is hands down Billy's boudin, it's right off the interstate by the new roundabout they are building. On your journey back are you planning on taking 82 or i10 or even hwy 90? The 82 route is going to take you through mostly marsh if you want to mix it up a little on the way back you could ride hwy 90 through Scott/Crowley/rayne/Jennings, once you get to Jennings you could run down south meeting up with 82 and stop in lake Arthur to eat at the regatta, it's a cajun style seafood place on the water. Or you could choose to go north and get on i10 over to lake Charles. If you do that I can recommend a few places to you in lake Charles. I live in lake Charles and commute over to Lafayette during weekdays.

Key things to remember is gas in Cameron and the ferry ride is free going eastbound but will cost you a dollar heading back westbound(cash only).

Also a note for the trip, the little metal building on the Texas state line at the base of the bridge makes a damn good hamburger.
Old 02-17-2014, 05:23 PM   #8
mglsite
Adventurer

Pat's

While you are in Lafayette, go about 20 miles west on I 10 and get off at the Henderson Exit. Go to Henderson and eat at Pat's. I haven't been there in over 20 years but get the Crab Meat Au Gratin, you won't be sorry.
Old 02-17-2014, 05:28 PM   #9
mglsite
Adventurer

Gnats

Oh yea, we should warn you. If you run out of gas on hw 82, The gnats will kill you or at least make you go totaly insane.

This is No Joke !!!
Old 02-17-2014, 05:58 PM   #10
Idahosam OP
Set Adrift

Quote:
If you are around Scott, La. You have to get your Boudin at the Best Stop. It's north of Scott about 1/2 mile off I 10. The smoked is the best.
mglsite.. I will keep that in mind. Like I said, I be will staying (basing) out of Lafayette for a few days, so I will put this on my short list.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradp View Post
I'm originally from one of the town you will be passing through, Cameron. There is pretty much nothing there now, make sure you fill up in Cameron because gas stations are pretty much non existent until you get near the intracostal bridge south of Abbeville. As for parades, this Saturday is the carencro parade and the Scott parade is Sunday. If you are searching for boudin on your trip you have three good options in Scott near the harley shop. Billy's, dons, and best stop. My favorite of the three is hands down Billy's boudin, it's right off the interstate by the new roundabout they are building. On your journey back are you planning on taking 82 or i10 or even hwy 90? The 82 route is going to take you through mostly marsh if you want to mix it up a little on the way back you could ride hwy 90 through Scott/Crowley/rayne/Jennings, once you get to Jennings you could run down south meeting up with 82 and stop in lake Arthur to eat at the regatta, it's a cajun style seafood place on the water. Or you could choose to go north and get on i10 over to lake Charles. If you do that I can recommend a few places to you in lake Charles. I live in lake Charles and commute over to Lafayette during weekdays.

Key things to remember is gas in Cameron and the ferry ride is free going eastbound but will cost you a dollar heading back westbound(cash only).

Also a note for the trip, the little metal building on the Texas state line at the base of the bridge makes a damn good hamburger.
bradp... I had planned on coming in the LA on 82 from Port Arthur, so that is real good information, but I have a 6 gallon tank so I won't worry too much. I AM ALL About the seafood and looking to indulge in the Cajun cuisine, maybe even a air-boat ride

I have recently read some interesting stuff about Lake Arthur and Jennings, perhaps that's a better way to go than Creole to Peacan island-Abbeville.

Quote:
While you are in Lafayette, go about 20 miles west on I 10 and get off at the Henderson Exit. Go to Henderson and eat at Pat's. I haven't been there in over 20 years but get the Crab Meat Au Gratin, you won't be sorry.
Yes! already on the to do list!

Very much appreciated info all. If you see a black Triumph Tiger with Idaho plates running around Lafayette end of Feb first week of March Toot your horn and sent a salute

Aldous Huxley
Old 02-17-2014, 06:02 PM   #11
Idahosam OP
Set Adrift

Quote:
Got it

Quote:
Oh yea, we should warn you. If you run out of gas on hw 82, The gnats will kill you or at least make you go totaly insane.

This is No Joke !!!
Come on! can't be worse than the mosquitos of Alaska and North Canada.......... Hummm...

Aldous Huxley
Old 02-17-2014, 06:21 PM   #12
bradp
Adventurer

The Mosquitos and nats are miserable, I took a ride this weekend and didn't see any. As for the route, if you cut north in creole and head east through bell city and lake arther you will see small towns that have not changed much since the 70's with boulevards and oak trees. I'd say that route would be a lot moor scenic. hwy 90 heading east out of Jennings is pretty cool, old rice mills and such. The pecan island route will just be a lot of marsh, the best part of 82 is the stretch between the state line and Cameron anyways ,you will have marsh to your left and the Gulf of Mexico to your right.

Something to note. If you are fond of lighthouses they have once you cross the state line. Right after you cross over to the Louisiana side there will be a massive LNG plant, if you take a right onto the road that runs along the east side of the LNG and go all the way down it leads to a lighthouse. They may have a gate that blocks cars from going all the way to the lighthouse but you may be able to get around it with a bike. If you can then it will take you right up to the lighthouse but you will not be able to explore the lighthouse because the bridge at the base was washed away during a hurricane. It's been near 5 years since I visited the lighthouse, they don't really want people going to it because it has a massive crack down the side and could be a danger.
Old 02-17-2014, 06:47 PM   #13
trailrider383
867-5309

Oddometer: 3,021
I think you need to change this thread title to "Idahoan Eating Through Louisiana". Are you stocked up on Tums? Have a good trip Sam!
Old 02-17-2014, 07:05 PM   #14
stewie100
soon to be andventur

Oddometer: 122
ware in idaho do you live?
stewie100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 08:37 PM   #15
mglsite
Adventurer

mosquitoes

When I was younger, I was camping on night. I heard two mosquitoes talking. One said to the other" why don't we take him home to eat him". The other said No No, if we do, the big ones will take him away from us.

Around Johnson Bayou they used to be so thick, they would suficate the cattle. The only thing that amazes me is they must have been some tough son of a bitches that lived here before Off and screens on windows