ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Racing
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 02-15-2014, 07:57 AM   #46
Racer20
East West Racing
 
Racer20's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2008
Location: New England
Oddometer: 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by steved57 View Post
I dont know anything about Bibs so just going off what someone else told me but he thought with the amount of paved sections that the rear bib would get hot and start to disentigrate - any thoughts ?

Yes we started out running bibs front and rear and the rear did fall apart more from high speed on the lake bed than the road, last year went with bib in the front and HD tube rear worked well.
__________________
Thanks for the support.
East West Racing
https://www.facebook.com/#!/EastWestRacing
Kenda tires , Acerbis
Bill's Pipes http://www.billspipes.com/
Racer20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 10:55 AM   #47
NSFW
ktm's "the tourist"
 
NSFW's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2007
Location: Burbank CA
Oddometer: 15,896
Quote:
Originally Posted by BAZZER450 View Post
Radio's are a must in truck only good for bike to truck within a couple miles of each other . Has any one used spot connect with your smart phone for communication with your crew where there is no cell service , thinking the rider could use the spot and message the crews sat phone or the cell phone if there is coverage ?

http://www.iridium.com/products/Irid...tCategoryID=29


i have this one and a sat phone, then bring a lap top/smart phone connect via wifi. we will be able to track our riders. this could be $$$, but if we have several to share the cost, it will make it affordable.

i still need to play with it and see how reliable this is.



can also be used in tracking the other support vehicles w/ spot.

maybe some of the high budgeted racers are already using it. anyone knows?
NSFW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 12:30 PM   #48
Strong Bad
n00balicious
 
Strong Bad's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2007
Oddometer: 3,774
Quote:
Originally Posted by NSFW View Post
http://www.iridium.com/products/Irid...tCategoryID=29


i have this one and a sat phone, then bring a lap top/smart phone connect via wifi. we will be able to track our riders. this could be $$$, but if we have several to share the cost, it will make it affordable.

i still need to play with it and see how reliable this is.



can also be used in tracking the other support vehicles w/ spot.

maybe some of the high budgeted racers are already using it. anyone knows?
None of the high dollar car guys are doing much high tech stuff for NORRA. Its a FUN race and not taken that seriously. The specials aren't that long and with the huge paved sections between the specials, it just isn't hard to keep track of where your entry is. SCORE is a totally different attitude.
__________________
"I couldn't wait for success, so I went ahead without it."
Strong Bad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 03:32 PM   #49
Scotty Breauxman
Baja Breaux
 
Joined: Oct 2008
Location: Del Mar CA
Oddometer: 290
Quote:
Originally Posted by NSFW View Post
http://www.iridium.com/products/Irid...tCategoryID=29


i have this one and a sat phone, then bring a lap top/smart phone connect via wifi. we will be able to track our riders. this could be $$$, but if we have several to share the cost, it will make it affordable.

i still need to play with it and see how reliable this is.



can also be used in tracking the other support vehicles w/ spot.

maybe some of the high budgeted racers are already using it. anyone knows?
No so fast. I've been testing Sat WIFI devices (2 so far in the past month) they are worthless. I'm pretty sure the spot page will not happen. I would test the IRIDIUM hot spot at home before you get your hopes up. This technology is basically text only...Even posting an FB pic is a stretch. Let me know if you find out otherwise
Scotty Breauxman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 09:38 PM   #50
NSFW
ktm's "the tourist"
 
NSFW's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2007
Location: Burbank CA
Oddometer: 15,896
i'm not a racer nor have experience in racing. just an outsider getting inside.

top contenders are excellent riders, have seasoned support crew and most likely finish the race without a glitch. they will trade off any thing that will weigh them down for performance. they're in the race for the podium.


the rest of the riders are there for fun and personal reason. when things break loose....it becomes a survival run. fun ends when the rider crashes and left alone and/or darkness falls. it will boil down to the rider and his crew to make it work and finish the stage. logistically, communication is the prime importance. radio, sat phone, wifi, spot etc., any of those can be a game changer or life saver.

as for the crew, driving at night in mexico is not fun. at 11 pm, we encountered a cow in the middle of the road, and miss it by a foot. we could have warned the other support trucks behind us if we had comm. luckily non of them hit the cow.

experience is a good thing, but not all has it. what works for them may not work for all. only thing common is we're all vulnerable.
NSFW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 10:44 PM   #51
Strong Bad
n00balicious
 
Strong Bad's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2007
Oddometer: 3,774
Quote:
Originally Posted by NSFW View Post
i'm not a racer nor have experience in racing. just an outsider getting inside.

top contenders are excellent riders, have seasoned support crew and most likely finish the race without a glitch. they will trade off any thing that will weigh them down for performance. they're in the race for the podium.Was part of the overall winning team for the 1st 2 years in this rally and last year. Rally was not taken that seriously, it's a fun event that allows you to run vintage iron all the way down. Winning was good but the fun had was better. Had problems with some entries last year but still had fun because that is what this race is all about for everyone. Keep it simple, don't rely on radios to keep you out of trouble or as a magic gizmoe that will save your ass when you get in trouble.

the rest of the riders are there for fun and personal reason. when things break loose....it becomes a survival run. fun ends when the rider crashes and left alone and/or darkness falls. it will boil down to the rider and his crew to make it work and finish the stage. logistically, communication is the prime importance. radio, sat phone, wifi, spot etc., any of those can be a game changer or life saver.

Raced with the over all winning Monster "Prophy Truck" of Gary Williams & Ryan Arciero as well as the Bob Gordon Toyota Cenoworth, the Herbst Pre-runner and the classic BFG Blazer. Not one used wifi, all had spot, but nobody tracked with it except girlfriends and wives at home. The Sat phone was used with Gordon's entry after they lost a CV on the last day. No lives needed saving. Again, if you expect that a radio or sat phone is going to save you ass when you get in trouble you are going to be disappointed.

as for the crew, driving at night in mexico is not fun. at 11 pm, we encountered a cow in the middle of the road, and miss it by a foot. we could have warned the other support trucks behind us if we had comm. luckily non of them hit the cow.

I have no idea why anyone would be driving at night in this Rally, but if you do, animals in the road are common. Pay attention to what you are doing. If you miss a cow by a foot you were driving too fast for conditions, a common deadly mistake in Baja. Hundreds of people drive up and down that highway everyday and night without people radioing them that there is shit in the road. More people are killed in chase trucks in SCORE races than on the race course, all of them have radios, sat phones, and plenty of gizmoes.

experience is a good thing, but not all has it. what works for them may not work for all. only thing common is we're all vulnerable. Baja is NOT some uber remote place like it was 30 years ago. You guys are making the whole thing too romantic and too dramatic. Relax, stop dicking around, and enjoy the rally.
Sheesh!
__________________
"I couldn't wait for success, so I went ahead without it."
Strong Bad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 11:33 PM   #52
NSFW
ktm's "the tourist"
 
NSFW's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2007
Location: Burbank CA
Oddometer: 15,896
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strong Bad View Post
Sheesh!

hahaha....love the way you respond. we're always wrong.

sheesh, can comment anything without getting clobbered...

relax man.
NSFW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 08:37 AM   #53
Baja Dad
Beastly Adventurer
 
Baja Dad's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2011
Location: Norco California
Oddometer: 1,847
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strong Bad View Post
Sheesh!

Strong Bad .

Let it go !!!!!!
You come from OLD school Big $$$$ teams.
I have been doing these races since 1969
" so yes I am old school but No $$ teams too"
But !!!!!!

This event ( is not a race ) It is a Fun Rally and a lot of the RIDERS!
are raw and having a raidio /sat phone/Spot is better then Not having one !! JMO
__________________
2014 support: GPR,IMS Aurora Rally Kriega, Raiden LS2,100Goggles,SIDI,Seat Concepts, Rally Raid Products UK,Precision Concepts, MX1West,Dunlop
Baja Dad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 02:44 PM   #54
Strong Bad
n00balicious
 
Strong Bad's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2007
Oddometer: 3,774
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baja Dad View Post
Strong Bad .

Let it go !!!!!!
You come from OLD school Big $$$$ teams.
I have been doing these races since 1969
" so yes I am old school but No $$ teams too"
But !!!!!!

This event ( is not a race ) It is a Fun Rally and a lot of the RIDERS!
are raw and having a raidio /sat phone/Spot is better then Not having one !! JMO
Old school...... the LAST time I raced the 1000 on a bike was in the late 70's on a 250 Bultaco. Pits were all friends using their bikes for spare parts. No fucking radios or cell phones, and no one was left for dead.

This is a fun event and there is no reason to spend a bunch of money on shit that ain't really gonna help that much. Why is every one crying about cost and high dollar teams and then want to throw a bunch of money away? Funny how many have also complained about cars using gadgets like GPS, but they want wi-fi and radios? I've been on SCORE teams with ALL of the toys, bells & whistles, helicopters, semi-trucks, and entries run just to carry spare parts for the main team. We've had Ion Earth tracking systems in all the race cars and chase trucks, you could look at a screen and tell where everyone was. I'm the one saying save your money!!! Why does everyone have a problem with that?

I've got a couple of nice Kenwood hand helds I'll sell if someone wants to throw money away. They already have 151.625 programmed in one of the channels.
__________________
"I couldn't wait for success, so I went ahead without it."
Strong Bad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 04:07 PM   #55
Baja Dad
Beastly Adventurer
 
Baja Dad's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2011
Location: Norco California
Oddometer: 1,847
I am just saying If you have them " They come in handy"

I would just RENT a sat phone and be done!!!

I would also STRIP ALL GPS units off every Entry at the NORRA 1000
and make them READ THE ROAD BOOK !!!! That what is FUN
__________________
2014 support: GPR,IMS Aurora Rally Kriega, Raiden LS2,100Goggles,SIDI,Seat Concepts, Rally Raid Products UK,Precision Concepts, MX1West,Dunlop
Baja Dad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 07:35 PM   #56
NSFW
ktm's "the tourist"
 
NSFW's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2007
Location: Burbank CA
Oddometer: 15,896
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strong Bad View Post
Old school...... the LAST time I raced the 1000 on a bike was in the late 70's on a 250 Bultaco. Pits were all friends using their bikes for spare parts. No fucking radios or cell phones, and no one was left for dead.

This is a fun event and there is no reason to spend a bunch of money on shit that ain't really gonna help that much. Why is every one crying about cost and high dollar teams and then want to throw a bunch of money away? Funny how many have also complained about cars using gadgets like GPS, but they want wi-fi and radios? I've been on SCORE teams with ALL of the toys, bells & whistles, helicopters, semi-trucks, and entries run just to carry spare parts for the main team. We've had Ion Earth tracking systems in all the race cars and chase trucks, you could look at a screen and tell where everyone was. I'm the one saying save your money!!! Why does everyone have a problem with that?

I've got a couple of nice Kenwood hand helds I'll sell if someone wants to throw money away. They already have 151.625 programmed in one of the channels.
i admire what you accomplished and what you did for a lot of people.


why can you respect other people's opinion and thoughts? quit shoving your opinions in us. you're sounding like an internet bully.


my dad smoke, drank, ate fatty and salty food and party for many years and still living at the age of 93. will i follow his footsteps? what worked for him may not work for most of us...LOL.


live and let live.
NSFW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 08:36 PM   #57
Strong Bad
n00balicious
 
Strong Bad's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2007
Oddometer: 3,774
Quote:
Originally Posted by NSFW View Post
i admire what you accomplished and what you did for a lot of people.


why can you respect other people's opinion and thoughts? quit shoving your opinions in us. you're sounding like an internet bully.


my dad smoke, drank, ate fatty and salty food and party for many years and still living at the age of 93. will i follow his footsteps? what worked for him may not work for most of us...LOL.


live and let live.
Sorry if my standing by my opinions, even though you don't agree with them, causes you discomfort. Everyone races his own race, in his own way, with what he thinks will get him to the finish line. Please ignore my opinions if they don't suit your needs, but you shouldn't think that I'm trying to force them on you. Best of luck to you in your Baja efforts, be safe, and have fun!


As far as Baja Dad is concerned, well...... he's welcome to his own wrong opinions too!
__________________
"I couldn't wait for success, so I went ahead without it."
Strong Bad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 08:57 PM   #58
Johnnymoto OP
Adventurer
 
Joined: Aug 2008
Location: Chicago
Oddometer: 77
NORRA is pretty easy, Baja is pretty small, and the # 1 thing is that there is so much support everywhere. +1 with Strong Bad, keep it simple, run what ya brung, and if you need to chat sat phone is a good way to fly.
Johnnymoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 10:13 PM   #59
Baja Dad
Beastly Adventurer
 
Baja Dad's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2011
Location: Norco California
Oddometer: 1,847
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnnymoto View Post
NORRA is pretty easy, Baja is pretty small, and the # 1 thing is that there is so much support everywhere. +1 with Strong Bad, keep it simple, run what ya brung, and if you need to chat sat phone is a good way to fly.
Then You can Ride your Vespa!!!

-1 for = Strong Bad
__________________
2014 support: GPR,IMS Aurora Rally Kriega, Raiden LS2,100Goggles,SIDI,Seat Concepts, Rally Raid Products UK,Precision Concepts, MX1West,Dunlop
Baja Dad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 11:35 PM   #60
Johnnymoto OP
Adventurer
 
Joined: Aug 2008
Location: Chicago
Oddometer: 77
ok you forced my hand...

while you pussies were figuring out how many bazillion dollars worth of shit you needed to haul while being supported by helicopter, truck, spectator, etc...

I was rolling down to Cabo on a Vespa hitting some surf breaks along the way...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a6q6tWxFoQE
Johnnymoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 12:57 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014