Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Canada
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-15-2014, 06:00 PM   #16
aquadog
Dude Buddha

Oddometer: 654
1) Meadow Mountain, used to be pretty good road, haven't been in years - this was before they started cat skiing up there, bet they clear downed trees for ski access. 2) Up to Ferguson from Trout Lake, road used to go back quite a ways beyond Ferguson. 3) And a bit far north, but up near the ferry to Revelstoke, there's a road up the Incomapleux (that'll be spelled wrong!) River. Gee, now I want to get back there.
aquadog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 08:08 PM   #17
250senuf
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,185
Meh!

Incomappleux. So, close enough. I dug out a map to check.
There are still some groves of old growth (read massive) cedars up there.
Old 02-16-2014, 11:03 AM   #18
H96669
A proud pragmatist.

Oddometer: 4,387
Burrell Creek FSR from Edgewood down to Grand Forks. But I think you can also veer off Burrell and go down to Renata and then south to Hwy3. Or so a well known local logger told me a few years back. Mind you he does drive a proper logger's vehicle aka large 4wd truck.

And there is also Watshan Lake to Arrow Park and ferry across to East Arrow park and also more roads to loop around just North of that. Mosquito Creek??? Been a while since I was up that way, sure a good place to see bears.

Anyone with a smallish enduro bike (or two actually) for sale in the Kootenays??? I have a few more loops to investigate but I doubt they'd be good for GSs or even KLRs. For now I am not sending anyone to my backyard/ATV trails until I find out by myself....
Old 02-16-2014, 12:19 PM   #19
250senuf
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,185
Quote:
Originally Posted by H96669 View Post
.... But I think you can also veer off Burrell and go down to Renata and then south to Hwy3. Or so a well known local logger told me a few years back. ...
Up and over Bulldog Mtn is the "fun" part. Going up from Renata is steep and loose. Packing a chainsaw might not hurt too unless one can confirm that the quaders have cleared it recently.
Old 02-17-2014, 08:08 AM   #20
H96669
A proud pragmatist.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 250senuf View Post
Up and over Bulldog Mtn is the "fun" part. Going up from Renata is steep and loose. Packing a chainsaw might not hurt too unless one can confirm that the quaders have cleared it recently.
Chainsaw?....driving up one road and then coming back and tree on the road that fell within the last few hours, not uncommon up here. My first drives up there in the spring.....chain saw and crowbar for the rocks and I have used both.

Loggers working above the roads..... They dropped a huge log down on the road passed Meagher Creek in the Pemberton area. Sure blocked my way out, had to sit and wait for a little while until the two big pick-ups/loggers with BIG chainsaws came down and cleared the road.

And then the Watshan Lake to Arrow park, just a few years ago some pot grower diverted a little creek for his "water needs"....that plugged up and caused quite a slide blocking the road for a few days.

H96669 screwed with this post 02-17-2014 at 08:13 AM
H96669 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 04:19 PM   #21
malscontent
Genghis

Oddometer: 6
A nice ride we did was from the Galena bay ferry on the west side of upper arrow lake, down through the Pingston / low pass area then, in behind Saddle mountain , Mosquito creek area, then continued down to the Whatshan. From there we did the, powerline road from Apple grove / Fauquier over to Passmore. We hit deep snow in late June and had to cut our way through the snow in one particularly shaded north facing area. Some places were rocky, steep, a bit rutted, etc but we did it on KLR's. Bikes got tired a few times and laid down for a rest. My buddy found out you don't plow through deep wet snow with much success..I do have the KML files should you be interested, Passmore to Applegrove not recommended for big bikes IMHO. Whatshan to Galena bay ferry wouldn't be too bad on a bigger bike. Mostly logging roads and fairly well taken care of for logging roads.
Old 02-24-2014, 09:06 AM   #22
rtw02
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 294
Kootenays are great

There are a lot of good rides out from Kaslo, most have already been mentioned.
A couple of good North Western loops would be up to Meadow creek, then trout lake and over to Halcyon Hot springs and down to Nakusp then back through New Denver to Kaslo.Lots of pavement on that one...but some great stops along the way..Lardeau River, Trout lake store and Windsor Hotel,Halcyon Hot springs, The Hut burger place in Nakusp, or the Leyland Hotel there, New Denver/Silverton,Sandon.
A longer one would be Meadow creek, Trout lake then over the Galena bay ferry (free) and then back down the west side of Arrow lake on the Pingston Creek road down past Watshan lake then over to Fauqier ferry and back up to Nakusp, New Denver, Kaslo. Same amount of Pavement but all good logging roads south along Arrow lake.
A Really long Day one would be Kaslo, New Denver, Nakusp then down to Fauqier then up past Watshan lake to the west side of Arrow lake to galena bay ferry then up to Revelstoke, west to Three Valley lake/Mabel lake road and down past Mabel lake to Lumby then back to Fauqier, Nakusp, Kaslo...
If you run out of time or energy you can bail out, OR go in to the Watshan lake, Pingston creek road on the west side of Arrow Lake at the Arrow Park ferry crossing, between Nakusp and Burton/ Fauqier.

AnyHow its all good in the Kootenays.
rtw02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 10:22 AM   #23
H96669
A proud pragmatist.

The Windsor Hotel...no more sawdust floored Saloon. And not even sure if it is even open. I was in Trout Lake a few times last summer and no signs of activity ever.

But the Hut is open and has been for a couple weeks.
Old 02-24-2014, 07:22 PM   #24
rtw02
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 294
Trout lake...

Yes I think the the Windsor Hotel is closed.
I heard that someone from Alberta bought it for a private snowmobiling base.
It is still nice to see though, not to many of the old hotels left.
Thats what makes the Leyland in Nakusp special, and the lakeside location is OK too.
rtw02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 07:27 AM   #25
H96669
A proud pragmatist.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtw02 View Post
Yes I think the the Windsor Hotel is closed.
I heard that someone from Alberta bought it for a private snowmobiling base.
It is still nice to see though, not to many of the old hotels left.
Thats what makes the Leyland in Nakusp special, and the lakeside location is OK too.
Alberta owner for sure....just like all of Trout Lake. But much quieter this summer, good thing the town sure was full of Yahoos for a while.

But the Alberta owners had someone keeping the Hotel open a few days a week two years ago. No more "liquor license" from what I gathered out of her too much yahooing in the saloon. Had to buy a brownie just so I could get a beverage.

Anyone heading that way....if the gravel is wet from the Beaton jct to Trout lake, that's because they have sprayed corrosive stuff on it. They are pretty good at that. Believe me the stuff eats BMWs....Pontiacs and just about everything else in between.
Old 02-25-2014, 07:58 AM   #26
Proveick
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 846
Anyone take La France Creek Forest Service Rd from Mountain Shores Rd off 3A?
Back in the '80s made a lone rode east on above named road till I got a stick between chain and sprocket. Good sized wolf about a 100 yards from me while made the fix.
A defining moment.
Also sunk our boat in that marina!
Old 02-25-2014, 09:22 AM   #27
H96669
A proud pragmatist.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proveick View Post
Anyone take La France Creek Forest Service Rd from Mountain Shores Rd off 3A?
Back in the '80s made a lone rode east on above named road till I got a stick between chain and sprocket. Good sized wolf about a 100 yards from me while made the fix.
A defining moment.
Also sunk our boat in that marina!
That marina I think is where they now have a monument to all the people who lost their lives on Kootenay Lake.

Been a lot of developments around there since the 80s.Busy place in the summer, lots of big boats/pickups and trailers plus the RVs. Annoying to follow on 3A, not many legal passing lanes.

La France Creek FSR looks deactivated.....good for the wolves!

"The road leading up La France Creek is better suited for ATV enthusiasts. It is not passable by vehicles beyond the 2.5 km mark" (2010)
Old 02-25-2014, 01:31 PM   #28
amk
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 466
I assume nearly everyone possesses a gps now. Let's see the tracks.
amk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 01:50 PM   #29
Proveick
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 846
49.528370, -116.775119
The road used to go east and deadend on the skidder trails. Kind of a box canyon.
49.546932,-116.654119
Old 02-28-2014, 07:01 AM   #30
where2next?
Map guy

Oddometer: 193
Quote:
Originally Posted by 250senuf View Post
Incomappleux. So, close enough. I dug out a map to check.
There are still some groves of old growth (read massive) cedars up there.
Hmmm, This does look sweet. I'll remember that road is there for sure. I camped at shelter bay last year and it was one of the best camp sites I've ever had the pleasure of pitching my tent on. there's a sweet looking route to be had on the west side of arrow lakes rather than taking the highway on the east side. Love that area, cooler than further west but worth a few weekends of my time no doubt.
where2next? is online now   Reply With Quote