Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Day Trippin'
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-16-2014, 09:40 PM   #1
skierd OP
Wannabe Far-Rider

Oddometer: 2,856
When it's spring-time in Alaska, it's 40 below... (out and about on snowmobiles)

After spending one winter without two wheeled transport, my soon to be wife and I decided to buy a pair of snowmobiles to pass the time and enjoy the snowy, cold, and dark half of the year. We picked up a pair of Yamaha touring/light utility sleds, a 2001 Venture 600 Triple we've nicknamed smokey joe and a 2008 Venture Lite we call Bid Red (Pig).

Trailering them home on New Year's Eve

Today my father-in-law Jerry and I took the sleds out for our first real trail ride. Until now we've been content to ride the slough behind their house or on the river near our house, but since it was Jerry's Birthday yesterday we decided to trailer out to some of the local trails out towards Fox, Alaska and go out for a day.

Loaded up to ride

It was a 20-30min drive out of town to the trail head, and after one wrong turn that led us down a trail that hadn't been used and ended up with the old yamaha buried up to it's floorboards, we finally got going down the main trail with me in the lead on Big Red.

It was a picture perfect day, birght and sunny with the temps hanging around 0 degree's all day.

From here the trail climbed up to the top of a dome that provided a great view of the surrounding hills and a great place to stop for lunch

Nothing like Mountain House Beef Stroganoff

The trail continued on

And it was great, ranging from jeep wide to barely machine wide, flowing up and down nicely along the hills. I've ridden this trail in summer on my WR250R and it was miserable with all of the deep ruts from the 4-wheelers and truck idiots trenching it out, but in winter all was covered under 2-4 ft of snow. Speaking of deep snow...

Oops.

I got off the trail and little, sunk the left front ski and quickly buried the rest of the sled with it. I stepped off and sank up to my waist. Looking back up the way we had come

After a lot of digging, cussing, lifting, swearing, and more digging, we finally got the big red pig free

Not even 10 minutes later...
skierd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 10:01 PM   #2
skierd OP
Wannabe Far-Rider

Oddometer: 2,856
Buried the BRP (Big Red Pig) again, this time even deeper in it.

There was an obvious hole in the trail where someone before us had gotten stuck as well so it was already trenched out. I hit it it square and tried to climb out, only to bury the nose in the snow bank then trench the track down to the tunnels again. Looking back

This one was a bear to dig out of, especially since the sleds would just build a dam of snow and trench worse if we tried to reverse, so the only option was to go foward. This was the opposite way we wanted to go, as it was getting late and we were going to try to go back down the trail the way we came to get back to the truck. Up and over and through the field and back down.

Expressing my feelings to the snow

Turned around, heading home...

And to head home, we had to go back through the hole that swallowed me earlier...

Jerry decided it was time to check out the bottom of his machine

Finally got the bastard loose...

And fortunately it was beautifully smooth sailing back to the truck

Back down the road, back to the truck, and the short drive home, out for maybe 5 hours from start to finish. Great way to spend a lazy Alaskan sunday funday!
skierd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 07:32 AM   #3
G.R.
Swimming Upstream!

Oddometer: 60
Looks awesome!!!
G.R. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 07:50 AM   #4
Nanuq
Aventurer by Trade

Oddometer: 1,058
Nice pics thanks!
2008 KLR 685- Iron Butt Association #44803
Trippin' in the Yukon & the AK!

"I'd rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on Earth" - Steve McQueen
Nanuq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 01:33 PM   #5
redog1
KLR650-2009

Oddometer: 1,732
Fun stuff...

I love snowmobiling. Makes me feel like a kid again.
Old 02-17-2014, 06:04 PM   #6
Ladybug0048
Bug Sister

Oddometer: 10,498
What Redog1 said +1

Thanks for sharing your fun.
Ladybug0048 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 06:13 PM   #7
Dirty Lloyd
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 160
Jealous! I miss Snow mobiling.

It is not the destination, it is the ride!
Dirty Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote