User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-19-2014, 05:06 AM   #316
Night Falcon
Adventure NZL

Oddometer: 1,568
good luck with the new wheels.

If you decide you want to mod it a bit to make it more off road capable than the KLR I have some 690 decals you can stick on it for a very reasonable price
Night Falcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 11:04 AM   #317
Mark_S OP
Fair Weather Faggot

Oddometer: 1,619
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oaters View Post
Keeping us all in suspense eh Mark?

nah not really

its this 2005 sv1000n

meet the owner at Dunedin airport on Sat morning
Old 02-19-2014, 11:09 AM   #318
Mark_S OP
Fair Weather Faggot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Night Falcon View Post
good luck with the new wheels.

If you decide you want to mod it a bit to make it more off road capable than the KLR I have some 690 decals you can stick on it for a very reasonable price
I can't see why it can't handle a quiet tootle along a bit of gravel - nice wide bars, low centre of gravity, stable steering etc etc. might need a bit of mesh over the oil cooler though
Old 02-19-2014, 05:24 PM   #319
Eddieb
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 900
mmm, it really needs a GSXR USD front end on it, let the farkling begin ;)

One of the fun things with Suzuki's is that lots of bits are bolt on swaps with no major modifications required.

www.AdventureRidingNZ.co.nz Free GPS tracks for New Zealand & more
www.FlyingtheChair.co.nz - NZ sidecar forums
Eddieb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 10:55 PM   #320
Oaters
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 512
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark_S View Post
nah not really

its this 2005 sv1000n

meet the owner at Dunedin airport on Sat morning
Nice looking machine Mark - enjoy the ride back from Dunedin
Oaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 11:22 PM   #321
Padmei
enamoured

Oddometer: 3,376
get a radar detector Mark. There are a shitload of cops around. i know you don't ride like an idgit but it will be hard not to see what it can do on those long straights.
Looks very smart.
Padmei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 01:54 AM   #322
warewolf
Tyre critic

Oddometer: 2,345
Quote:
its this 2005 sv1000n
Nice one.

Quote:
I can't see why it can't handle a quiet tootle along a bit of gravel - nice wide bars, low centre of gravity, stable steering etc etc. might need a bit of mesh over the oil cooler though
It'll do the job mighty fine.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve McQueen
All racers I know aren't in it for the money. They race because it's something inside of them... They're not courting death. They're courting being alive.
warewolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 10:38 AM   #323
Mark_S OP
Fair Weather Faggot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddieb View Post

One of the fun things with Suzuki's is that lots of bits are bolt on swaps with no major modifications required.
Whilst its good to know I don't really want to get to the stage where I'm pushing the envelope and needing things like gsx forks. I partially chose a naked to help keep speeds sane and chose a v twin because they are nice cruising motors. I like grunt but I don't want to actually end up travelling much faster than I do on the klr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oaters View Post
Nice looking machine Mark - enjoy the ride back from Dunedin
Thanks - weather permitting I'm taking 3 days for the trip (ChCh Sat night and Nelson Sun night)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Padmei View Post
get a radar detector Mark. There are a shitload of cops around. i know you don't ride like an idgit but it will be hard not to see what it can do on those long straights.
Looks very smart.
Yes this weekend is the tt2000 so there will be a shitload of bikes in the top of the South Island - and logically a shitload of cops. I will keep and eagle eye on the Speedo

Quote:
Originally Posted by warewolf View Post
Nice one.

It'll do the job mighty fine.
I can't see the dynamics being that much different than an airhead or scrambler so it should be ok
Old 02-20-2014, 04:38 PM   #324
bart-nz
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 658
I always wanted a TL. They looked sexy in their day and were awesome on the twisties. They had a few reliability issues though which put me off. Mate of mine bought one new in the late 90’s and had all sorts of problems with the clutch. He did like to wheelstand though. When it was working, it went real well.

The SV was melowed out and they fixed a lot of issues (but lost character). You should have a lot of fun on that thing. Love the naked look.

I was looking at a Cagiva the other day. Same engine but a few more trick bits. I almost took it for a ride...

bart-nz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 04:53 PM   #325
zaTTaz
LOUD NOISES.

Oddometer: 218
Feel free to pop in for a cup of coffee while you're waiting for the ferry man. Congrats on the purchase. Nice wee trip to break it in too
zaTTaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 01:34 AM   #326
warewolf
Tyre critic

Oddometer: 2,345
Quote:
I can't see the dynamics being that much different than an airhead or scrambler so it should be ok
Ummm probably a shitload better than both. Certainly way crisper than an airhead.

I took my Trophy on lots and lots of (2wd quality) gravel roads, often loaded, two-up and/or at speed - and it was sweet as long as there weren't corrugations. The SV would be similar geometry. The usual rules apply: go too slow and you can't float on top of the loose stuff to stay in control. And I really noticed 180/55 tyres didn't cut in to the surface as nicely as the pointier 170/60.

Tighter, rougher, steeper: the Tiger was much more betterer. But for ordinary gravel roads, a sub-supersport bike is fine.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve McQueen
All racers I know aren't in it for the money. They race because it's something inside of them... They're not courting death. They're courting being alive.

warewolf screwed with this post 02-21-2014 at 07:00 PM
warewolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 01:59 AM   #327
ztaj
jatz

Oddometer: 844
Quote:
nah not really

its this 2005 sv1000n
Nice... I approve
ztaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 11:27 AM   #328
NordieBoy
Armature speller

Oddometer: 7,095
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddieb View Post

Some titanium nitride sliders would add a splash of colour...
Old 02-21-2014, 11:51 PM   #329
XF650
Adventurer

Oddometer: 69
http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/sh...post1130682725
XF650 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 01:08 AM   #330
Mark_S OP
Fair Weather Faggot

Quote:
Originally Posted by bart-nz View Post
I always wanted a TL. They looked sexy in their day and were awesome on the twisties. They had a few reliability issues though which put me off. Mate of mine bought one new in the late 90’s and had all sorts of problems with the clutch. He did like to wheelstand though. When it was working, it went real well.

The SV was melowed out and they fixed a lot of issues (but lost character). You should have a lot of fun on that thing. Love the naked look.

I was looking at a Cagiva the other day. Same engine but a few more trick bits. I almost took it for a ride...
the caviga's look quite cool don't they - a Cagiva Navigator could be quite nice - kind of like a vstrom without the beating from the ugly stick

I'd love to take a TL for a ride - but in reality I don't need more power - I need strategies to stop me using too much of what I already have.....

I sure hope I didn't go past any speed cameras on the way back - it would not be a cheap ticket

Quote:
Originally Posted by zaTTaz View Post
Feel free to pop in for a cup of coffee while you're waiting for the ferry man. Congrats on the purchase. Nice wee trip to break it in too
Yep was a good 1400 odd km - only problem is the tires that looked worn but ok'ish when I brought it now look very average now (not speed or cornering related)

Thanks for the offer - I didn't get into Picton until just before the 6pm booking time so....

Quote:
Originally Posted by warewolf View Post
Ummm probably a shitload better than both. Certainly way crisper than an airhead.

I took my Trophy on lots and lots of (2wd quality) gravel roads, often loaded, two-up and/or at speed - and it was sweet as long as there weren't corrugations. The SV would be similar geometry. The usual rules apply: go too slow and you can't float on top of the loose stuff to stay in control. And I really noticed 180/55 tyres didn't cut in to the surface as nicely as the pointier 170/60.

Tighter, rougher, steeper: the Tiger was much more betterer. But for ordinary gravel roads, a sub-supersport bike is fine.
It seemed completely happy on the 20-30k of gravel that I did - so that was quite promising (only 40-60km/hr but that seemed fine).

Quote:
Originally Posted by ztaj View Post
Nice... I approve
Obviously a man of good taste.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by NordieBoy View Post
Some titanium nitride sliders would add a splash of colour...
And I suppose you have a set lurking in the emporium?

Quote:
Originally Posted by XF650 View Post
Thanks for the cuppa Strun - it was good to catch up - loved the Singer - what an awesome wee toy.

Well I flew down to Dunedin on Sat morning and met the bikes owner and his wife - really nice couple. The bike was easily as good as the photos showed and he had given the bike a service and added 3 more months rego which were nice bonuses. So we did the deal and I took off only to get a bee up my sleeve within 1k of the airport - OUCH.

I decided to head north via Middlemarch (HW87) so I could get used to the bike with no real traffic around , Had a nice lunch in Middlemarch and cut thrrough Hyde-Mcraes Rd to HW85 (glad there were no cops around - self control was lacking on the fast open sweepers) and then down to Palmerston then inland via Horse-Range rd (great for adventure bikes) which was great fun but a lot slower. Then it was on to SH1 and a boring drone up to Ashburton - I was certainty ready for a cuppa and a break by the time I got to Struan's...

From the I headed up to Christchurch and stayed Sat night with family out near Little River. After the pissing rain stopped at 11ish on Sunday I headed off up to Culverden where I was knocked around by horrendous gusty winds - at least I missed the hail and lightning in Christchurch that afternoon. From the I headed over the Lewis - into some lightish rain and very wet roads up to Murchison (not via the Maruia Saddle unfortunately...)

Then it was up through the Golden Downs Forest and via Mot Valley Hwy to Dovedale and Neudorf Rd's to Ruby Bay for dinner and bed.

Monday I pottered around, Had a coffee with Nigel in Mot and then headed down Westbank Rd to Dovedail etc again. Then it was back over the hills to Havelock for gas and on to Picton to jump on the 7pm ferry home.

The bike was everything I hoped for. The seats a bit ordinary but apart from that I was very comfy. I will try and set up the suspension a bit better but although quite firm was still light-years better than the scrambler. I The tank needs filling every 200k or so (I'd guess 270k to empty - 17km/litre with a 17 litre tank - but I was ready for a break by then. The brakes are great and the headlight is very good.

The real star for me is the engine - doesn’t really want to pull under 4k but between 4k and 6k it is so sweet and smooth and has heaps of grunt for passing rows of cars. At those middly revs the yoshi cans just bellow - such sweet music.

I tried not to go much above 7k as the speeds get stupid so so quickly (5k in top is 130km/hr which is plenty fast for cruising). It does vibrate a bit above 7kish but pulls hard all the way to 10k (11k redline).

To a certain extent - if you want to have fun on a bike like this you seem have to accept that the open road speed limits aren’t applicable. If I try and ride smoothly in that magic 4-6k range and cruise in the 115-125 range hopefully it won't get to expensive

One very happy camper.

Thanks for the photos Struan