Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-08-2014, 08:33 PM   #76
NZRalphy
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 154
Quote:
Originally Posted by AviatorTroy View Post
Yea how come they work for most people then? I'd have to say that at least 75% of people around here like them, including me. Just because you didn't doesn't give you the right to call the company a scam.. Get a grip, pal.
Probably because new tyres a spot on and don't need balancing..... So putting the beads in is a waste?
NZRalphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 08:46 PM   #77
NZRalphy
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 154
Quote:
Originally Posted by duck View Post
The concept of automatic dynamic balancing is real, provable physics and is applied in other industrial and commercial applications (fans at nuclear power plants between service intervals and consumer washing machines are a couple of examples)
I spend a sh*t load of money on balancing machinery at work. I doubt ANY engineer would use some witch doctor automatic balancer on something as important as a power plant.

Washing machines use a heavy weight and springs to stop the thing walking across the floor - they also stop and restart if the out of balance is too extreme.
NZRalphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 12:39 AM   #78
k-moe
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,335
Quote:
Originally Posted by NZRalphy View Post
I spend a sh*t load of money on balancing machinery at work. I doubt ANY engineer would use some witch doctor automatic balancer on something as important as a power plant.

Washing machines use a heavy weight and springs to stop the thing walking across the floor - they also stop and restart if the out of balance is too extreme.
All that, and the very simple fact that dynamic balancing is only sucessful when applied to stationary machinery. Introduce any appreciable outside force (such as might be felt by a tire hitting a bump) and that dynamic balancing system begins to oscillate instead of balance.
k-moe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 07:36 AM   #79
H96669
A proud pragmatist.

Oddometer: 4,406
Quote:
Probably because new tyres a spot on and don't need balancing..... So putting the beads in is a waste?
You know....that may just be it.Both my wheels/tires are well within the specs at which the maker recommends balancing. I think 0.75 oz in my case. You bet I rode without weights last fall. NO vibrations and I sure could tell I used to balance car wheels in a distant past and we testdrove all the vehicles just in case we could have missed on the balancing.

But I removed the weights just to be contrary on another bead thread somewhere else. I'll put them back I am picky and like to balance, reminds me of the old days watching wheels spin on the Snap-On static balancer.
Old 02-10-2014, 01:05 PM   #80
ultane
sqeezin the bag

Oddometer: 1,098
Without dyna Beads, I cannot feel either of my R1200GSA's vibrate while on the highway, but I cannot see out of either mirror either. With Dyna Beads, I cannot feel either bike vibrate, but I CAN see and READ the front license plates on cars in the lane beside me.

If a man speaks, and there is no woman present to hear him,..
Is he still wrong?
ultane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 03:08 PM   #81
BossMaverick
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 190
Quote:
Actually, most top-loading washing machines have a hollow ring that is partially filled with liquid (my guess is just dyed water because it can freeze). The balance ring is mounted on top of the washer's drum. The liquid inside the ring acts as a dynamic balancer, much like how tire beads are supposed to work. The ring does the vast majority of the balancing for the washer's load. Due to the ring containing only a couple pounds of liquid, it cannot balance extremely off-centered heavy loads, especially if there is a broken mounting spring, or if the drum "skateboard" pads are worn and sticky, or if the washer used is on a weak floor.

I'm wondering if the people that are having balancing bead problems just don't have tire, wheel, and suspension combinations that have a natural resonance or springiness that can't be eliminated, or are made worse, by free moving beads (much like a washing machine that is on a weak or bouncy floor). It would be interesting to see if bikes with relatively weak or flexible forks are more likely to have balance issues with tire beads than bikes with stiff forks (like typical sport bikes). I also wonder if steering and suspension geometry plays a part in the equation.

I believe in the concept of how tire beads work, but I also see issues with how it is executed. I imagine rim mounted balancing rings that contain a non-freezing liquid would work better than beads, but the added cost and risk of damage to the ring would outweigh the benefits.
Old 02-18-2014, 10:38 AM   #82
ultane
sqeezin the bag

Oddometer: 1,098
...And as pointed out by Woody some time ago, no amount Dyna Beads or wheel weights will make an out of round or untrue wheel ride smooth.

If a man speaks, and there is no woman present to hear him,..
Is he still wrong?
ultane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 12:22 AM   #83
WacoDirtryder
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 293
They work great for me when i bought my GSA the tires were new and he told me he added beads. When i put on a new set of tires i lost some of the beads in the front tire on the change and it didnt seem as smooth then.
WacoDirtryder is offline   Reply With Quote