User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-12-2008, 01:28 PM   #1
HPMGuy OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 264
BMW Odometer Reset Buttons

I now have the odometer reset buttons and retainers available for the ? - '95 BMW's.

Buttons: $11.50

Retainers: $8.50

Shipping: $5 flat rate lower 48. International at cost.

Contact me with any questions:

Guy Hendersen
Hendersen Precision Mfg.
sales (at) hendersenprecision (dot) com
(209) 962-7500

Removal and Installation Instructions:

While It is possible to change out the button without disassembling the speedo, it does take a little bit of work. It is possible to do the exchange with the speedo on the bike, but would most likely be easier to remove it. If you think you are up to it, give it a try....if unsure it might be better for you to take it to a speedo shop.

1) If you need one of these, I am assuming that your old button is cracked, split, or missing. The first step is to remove the top portion of the old button. This will reveal the reset plunger, and the top of the retainer, with the remainder of the old button underneath it. Unthread and remove the reset plunger at this time.

2) If your retainer is in good condition, follow the directions marked "A" from here on. If it is broken or missing, follow directions marked "B". Even if your retainer is in good condition, you might have to use the removal method outlined in B, as BMW staked the threads on the original retainer, and they can be hard to unthread.

2A) Gently start unthreading the retainer. While unthreading, you will have to pull on the retainer to keep some pressure on the nut (against the inside of the lens) to keep it from rotating. DO NOT THREAD THE RETAINER ALL THE WAY OUT!!! You want the retainer to stay attached to the nut on the inside of the lens. Unthread it just enough to remove the rest of the old button. Because the original button is old and hard, it probably won't slip off of the retainer, you will probably have to very carefully cut it off with a Xacto or similar.

3A) Install the reset plunger at this time (Don't forget, or you will be kicking yourself later!!!) Carefully slip the replacement button over the top of the retainer. Now thread the retainer/button assembly back onto the nut until the button is snug against the lens. You're done!

2B) If your retainer is broken, (like mine was) you will not have anything on the outside of the lens to grab to unthread it. So you will have to fabricate an extraction tool. I used a letter "C" (.242") drill and ground it flat on the end, and with a die grinder produced a very positive undercut in the reverse direction of the flutes. (See pic below.) I could then press this tool inside of the retainer, and as I turned it to unthread, the tool would grab deeper into the retainer and, while keeping the nut pressed against the lens, I was able to remove the rest of the retainer. (Note: If your retainer is broken, you will have to remove the speedo from the bike...I don't think it will be possible to re-install the retainer without the speedo being turned upside down.)

3B) Install the reset plunger at this time (Don't forget, or you will be kicking yourself later!!!) Make sure that the plunger passes through the retainer nut. Carefully slip the button over the top of the retainer (as in assembled picture above.) Now turn the speedo upside down, insert the retainer/button assembly over the reset plunger and through the hole in the lens. Carefully turn the retainer/button while trying to catch a thread in the nut. As soon as you get the thread started, you can add some slight pressure against the lens to keep the nut from rotating. Keep tightening the assembly until the button is snug against the glass. You're done!

Finished product:(Gives a very good view of the nut inside the lens.)

Disassembly of my unit took 1+ hour including making the extraction tool, and the assembly went rediculously quick...about 5 minutes. I consider myself very lucky with that. I used a replacement retainer which had new clean threads, and I think that had a lot to do with how easily it went together. As mentioned above, BMW staked the threads on the original retainer. If you are re-using your original this might make re-threading a bit more difficult. But if your are able to unthread it far enough to remove/install the button without damaging it, I would definately try using it before removing it entirely from the nut.

While my directions make sense to me, and seem to be complete....they may not be so to everyone. Feel free to ask for clarification or for greater detail if necessary.

Tips:

1) Inxanadudidkublakhan: Mask off the area around the button while working on it, to prevent accidental damage to the lens/plastic or surrounding area.

2) Mark1305: Rather than track down the .242" drill to grind into a removal tool, I cut a strip of aluminum flashing .250 wide and bent the edges over by trial and error until it would insert into the old damaged retainer and grip it when turning CCW. Worked a charm and had good grip.

HPMGuy screwed with this post 03-11-2010 at 07:09 AM
HPMGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2008, 02:45 PM   #2
inxanadudidkublakhan
Adventurer

Oddometer: 18
Hi HPN Guy,

Well, I decided to try the 'smart' option of trying to remove the cover on mine before ordering, just in case I should run into difficulties..............and I have. My button was just cracked around the edges, not bad at all..................however on trying to unscrew the retainer, it just collapsed and disintegrated. I'm now left with the plastic nut and a small length of retainer. I can only think that the easy option would be to superglue a piece of plastic to the remaining retainer, and try and remove it that way (as you can see, I'm not an engineer). I get the feeling that there will be a lot of retainers required. Would a cheap removal tool be an option, or would it be price restrictive?, as I think that most people will end up where I am.

Rob

I've just looked at your extraction tool, used my angle grinder and made one up. It worked with the aid of some long nosed pliers. There's a little plastic swarfe in the speedo, but I'll remove it with a vacuum cleaner, and I had a little slip and took a very small amount of paint of the bezel, so might be worth masking it for the mechanically challenged!!. I've amended my order to include two retainers, as I feel certain, when I do my other bike, it'll happen exactly the same. The instructions that you posted are really good, so I'll now just sit back and wait to pay you and receive my order :-).............phew

inxanadudidkublakhan screwed with this post 07-12-2008 at 03:29 PM
inxanadudidkublakhan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2008, 08:27 AM   #3
SOLO LOBO
airhead or nothing

Oddometer: 8,573
PM'd you Guy.... I'll take two buttons, one retainer!

SL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stagehand
your bike is suitably dirty. Well done.
SOLO LOBO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2008, 09:56 AM   #4
HPMGuy OP
Gnarly Adventurer

I will start shipping the buttons today. There are not enough at the moment to fill all the orders placed, but should in a week or so. I will start from the top of the list (started in the other thread), so you will get them in the order that you replied to the thread or pm/emailed me.

As you start installing these buttons, it would be great if you have a tip that helped you, post it here. I will add it to the first post to make it easier for people to find when they are installing theirs.

Quote:
PM'd you Guy.... I'll take two buttons, one retainer!

Gotcha Solo, you are number one on the list, they will ship today!
Old 07-28-2008, 04:03 AM   #5
inxanadudidkublakhan
Adventurer

Oddometer: 18
Hi Guy,

Just to say that the buttons and retainers arrived about five minutes ago. As a result of my earlier messing, I just had to put the parts together and screw the retainer in...............sum total about three minutes!!. Are you just doing these as a one off run, or will you be keeping them available for future purchases?.............the only reason I ask is that I'd get a couple more retainers if you don't envisage keeping stock.

Just as an 'out of interest' question, do you think the new buttons will have a longer life than the BMW items?.

Many thanks for your enthusiasm and committment for this project. I for one seriously appreciate it.

Rob
inxanadudidkublakhan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2008, 08:35 PM   #6
HPMGuy OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Thanks Rob!

Good news on the installation!!! Hopefully it will go this easy for everyone. Seems like once the old retainer is removed, you are well over the hump.

Once I fill all of the current orders I will be stocking these parts, so I should have them available for some time to come.

Quote:
Originally Posted by inxanadudidkublakhan
Hi Guy,

Just to say that the buttons and retainers arrived about five minutes ago. As a result of my earlier messing, I just had to put the parts together and screw the retainer in...............sum total about three minutes!!. Are you just doing these as a one off run, or will you be keeping them available for future purchases?.............the only reason I ask is that I'd get a couple more retainers if you don't envisage keeping stock.

Just as an 'out of interest' question, do you think the new buttons will have a longer life than the BMW items?.

Many thanks for your enthusiasm and committment for this project. I for one seriously appreciate it.

Rob
Old 08-09-2008, 01:23 PM   #7
SOLO LOBO
airhead or nothing

Oddometer: 8,573
Here's mine installed... took all of five minutes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stagehand
your bike is suitably dirty. Well done.
SOLO LOBO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008, 04:25 PM   #8
HPMGuy OP
Gnarly Adventurer

New Batch of Buttons......

I now have enough finished to fill all orders on the wait list. I will PM you all today to get an order confirmation with your ship address, and they will start shipping out tomorrow.

Sounds like everyone is having a fairly easy time with the installation, which is great news!

Thanks for the pic Solo!
Old 08-20-2008, 06:12 AM   #9
RomaDakota
Illuminatus!

Oddometer: 1,358
Thx!

Thanks Guy for all the effort behind this venture. I installed mine last night. Of course I had a broken retainer so I had to work the old one out before installing the new parts. It took some time and patience. The installation went well.
Old 05-04-2013, 01:45 PM   #10
R-dubb
Dubbious Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,769
Just a quick post to say thanks! Worked like a champ.

Not easy mind you. My retainer was cracked off. Getting it unscrewed with speedo on bike was touchy. Used a bent pick to lift nut and cracked stem to glass. Slowly, after many atempts, I managed to cleanly unscrew the remains.

I then managed to get the pick under the nut, lifting just far enough above the speedo face to line up the retainer and catch a thread. All downhill from there. If you are feeling the urge to take apart speedo or even remove from bike, keep trying. It will happen.
R-dubb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 01:25 AM   #11
Bots
n00b

Oddometer: 4
Hello,

Is there somebody who can show me a photo of the reset plunger?
I think this piece is missing into my speedo because the reset button was broken and also missing, so the button was replaced by a screw to close the speedo.
Thanks for helping me.

Best regards, Bots.
Bots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 09:11 AM   #12
Bots
n00b

Oddometer: 4
Hello,

Is there nobody who can show me a photo of the reset plunger?
I received the new button and retainer from Guy, and I try to install it.
I would like this photo, because I do not know whats in between the button (retainer with nut) and the speedo?
Thanks for helping!

Best regards, Bots.
Bots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 09:28 AM   #13
HPMGuy OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Your plunger is likely broken off inside so a stock part is not going to help much, but a piece of round material .216" diameter x .750" long will work as a replacement. I made a few of these some time ago and have supplied them to customers with the same issue. If I had known I could have included one with your button/retainer.