ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Canada
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

View Results: How many days long should the ride be?
4 Days (BC Day long weekend plus a day) 10 83.33%
6 Days (BC Day long weekend plus 3 days) 2 16.67%
Voters: 12. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-12-2014, 08:59 PM   #16
kelds OP
mostly right-side-up

Oddometer: 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by offworlder View Post
This sounds great ! I like Claude's idea of a get together to chat about routes, etc…
And perhaps a (shorter) pre-ride (China head) to get a feel for the groups abilities, preferences, etc… This can be done in a day, or via an overnighter.
I don't know that we'll be able to get the full group together as many won't be able to commit until much closer to Aug., so using a pre-ride as a way to guage collective ability probably won't work well. I think using separate easy and harder routes would allow for variety in ability/interest.

I am all for getting out and riding and meeting some new people, though
kelds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 09:42 PM   #17
JOKER650
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,518
This is a great idea.
It's pretty easy for me to get time off from work so I will be following this thread.
Sorry that right now I can not make a 100% commitment

Over 2000 plated dirt riders...Digg'n up the dirt every other day, all over BC

http://www.dualsportbc.com/
JOKER650 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 11:18 AM   #18
mroddis
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 171
Don't know if I'll be around on that weekend, but great idea getting a bunch of folks together for a ride.

Happy to stay tuned and meet up - I'll likely be looking for an easier route than you guys, with not much dirt experience. Really like the idea of alternate routes all ending in the same place so the KTMs can hang out at night.

M.
Old 02-15-2014, 08:47 PM   #19
rburkat
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 266
I'd be in for all and anything.

I found a cool route solo last year that took me almost from manning park on highway 3, through to Keremeos. It's a cool little area with lots of unexplored stuff. There seems to be a road across the border too, but was really dug out for one person and a 990.
Lots of stuff in the middle here is not maintained, and older, which means FUN!

For a "blue" route you definitely have to do whipsaw. Of course China Head is great area also.

This summer I would really like to get through from Tyax resort area straight north to Williams Lake.
rburkat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 09:04 PM   #20
kelds OP
mostly right-side-up

Quote:
Originally Posted by rburkat View Post
I'd be in for all and anything.

I found a cool route solo last year that took me almost from manning park on highway 3, through to Keremeos. It's a cool little area with lots of unexplored stuff. There seems to be a road across the border too, but was really dug out for one person and a 990.
Lots of stuff in the middle here is not maintained, and older, which means FUN!

For a "blue" route you definitely have to do whipsaw. Of course China Head is great area also.

This summer I would really like to get through from Tyax resort area straight north to Williams Lake.
Last summer one day on my way back from Victoria to Kelowna, I did a long detour up hurley fsr, carpenter lake, texas creek etc. Just enough of a taste to want to get north of there and see what is past gun lake.

A friend has also mentioned that there's a rough dirt route from squamish to the sunshine coast. From there, could come back to the Mainland at the north end and head east along the powerlines and see some of the northern stuff. Hmmm.

My pics above were also near Manning Park......

Too many good choices. This probably does need a mapbook and a planning session soon.
Old 02-18-2014, 11:11 PM   #21
kelds OP
mostly right-side-up

Ride Planning Night

A chance to get together, meet & throw around route suggestions for the ride taking shape on the BC Day long weekend. Bring your maps!

Next Wednesday, Feb. 26. 7:00pm

As it's a bit central, let's meet at Woody's on Brunette Pub, just off Highway 1.

935 Brunette Ave.
Coquitlam BC
http://www.woodyspub.com
Old 02-20-2014, 10:53 AM   #22
canadius_maximus
Quaere verum - Seek truth

Oddometer: 478
Hello Jessica,

Can't make Wed nights, alas - but I look forward to what ride options emerge from the evening's sessions - hopefully I'll be able to join the ride itself.

Cheers,

KTM 690 R Rally Raid Evo 1 (and 2) Kit Build for Dummies
canadius_maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 12:17 PM   #23
kelds OP
mostly right-side-up

BC Day Weekend Camp & Ride Planning Session

Hi - A quick reminder that we're meeting tomorrow night at 7:00pm at Woody's on Brunette Pub, just off Highway 1.

To refresh memories, the idea is to discuss route options for a +-4 day point-to-point camp and ride on the BC Day long weekend (1st weekend of Aug).

Non-KTM riders are welcome, so long as you don't tease up about how long it takes to change the oil on a 9xx.

935 Brunette Ave.
Coquitlam BC
http://www.woodyspub.com.
Old 02-27-2014, 01:46 PM   #24
kelds OP
mostly right-side-up

Update

Four of us had a very productive discussion last night. We confirmed/decided the following:

Duration & dates: Four days. Leave Vancouver in the early evening on Thursday, July 31st. Return to Vancouver the evening of August 4th.

Format: Camping light. Use minimalist camping gear, buy prepared food along the way rather than cook, etc.

The ride in a nutshell: Take some of BC's better known & most epic technical riding sections and string them together into a loop, connected by trails/abandoned gravel roads where we can find them and more commonly traveled FSR's where we can't.

Thursday Evening:
Cultus Lake area - Thurston Ridge to Bridal Falls. Harrison East. Camping location TBD.

Friday:
Harrison East to across the river from Boston Bar via the Nahatlatch boundary area. North to Lytton, a ferry ride across the river and South to Boston Bar.
Connect on Hwy 1 to gravel to Hwy 5. Short connection South on Hwy 5 then Southeast on gravel to Tulameen. Coalmont, Princeton then on to the Whipsaw. Offroad from the Whipsaw East to the South Okanagan (Need some help figuring out a good West-East route south of Princeton). Camping location TBD in South Okanagan, perhaps East of OK falls.

Saturday:
Need to develop a route heading North between the OK falls area and roughly where Hwy 33 heads into Kelowna. Graystokes Rd to Lumby. Lumby North to the Shuswap area (routes needed). Camp somewhere in the Shuswap to Kamloops area (TBD).

Sunday:
Continue East. Looking for fun routes in the Kamloops to Bonaparte Lake/70 Mile House areas to fill up the day (anybody familiar with Harp Mountain?). Possibly start on the trails in the China Head area and camp somewhere nearby, around Clinton/Lillooet.

Monday
China Head trails, Seaton, Anderson Lake to Pemberton. Harrison West back to Vancouver.

It was fun to get together with some passionate riders and work through the different ideas. Obviously, there's lot's of planning to do yet and I'm definitely looking to some locals for great route suggestions.

As mentioned before, the core group prefers the more technical, challenging routes and this ride is shaping up to be a reflection of that.
I know that I've got to get more practice to get in so that I don't hold up the group or have them get sick of helping to pick up my bike, lol.

I'll post a pic of the map we marked up when I get a chance.
Old 02-27-2014, 02:15 PM   #25
kelds OP
mostly right-side-up

photo 20140227_120541_zps32842cee.jpg
Old 02-27-2014, 03:20 PM   #26
teamgrizzly
Even more advanced n00b!

Oddometer: 383
Rebecca,

You might want to check out the Bridal Falls section, it was gated at Bridal Falls the last time I checked.

Heading north on the East Harrison, be careful of the Kookpi Traverse. There have seen slides in the area. One section is really ugly. Nothing a good rider can't get through, but not a place to get complacent.

Also heading east from Princeton, you can head up the Princeton-Summerland Rd. I've ridden some of the FSR's up there before and found the road surface a bit looser than average. I would also recommend turing south before Summerland on the Shingle FSR and hitting the road to Apex Mtn. The descent on the Nickleplate is awesome with cool switchbacks and a great view.

I wouldn't recommend the KVR between Brookmere and Otter Valley (North of Coalmont) Continue on the Brookmere Rd. Much more fun with curves and elevation gain. And less cows. Also from Coalmont I would take the KVR, since it takes your through a canyon and a couple of cool tunnels.

Mike

teamgrizzly screwed with this post 02-27-2014 at 03:33 PM
teamgrizzly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 04:18 PM   #27
Tropic-Of-Canada
Thread Derailleur

Oddometer: 839
I heard a rumor that there is no gas/beer in Goldbridge nowadays, so something to be aware of.
Of course KTM's with their dual tank systems probably wont be bothered!
Tropic-Of-Canada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 04:37 PM   #28
gunnerbuck
Island Hopper

Oddometer: 3,830
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tropic-Of-Canada View Post
I heard a rumor that there is no gas/beer in Goldbridge nowadays, so something to be aware of.
Of course KTM's with their dual tank systems probably wont be bothered!
Brailorne has fuel
gunnerbuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 07:10 PM   #29
OceanMtnSea
Pretty Dogged

Oddometer: 547
................I am watching the route develop and will plan on joining in somewhere.
Old 02-27-2014, 07:20 PM   #30
pne
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 601
this looks fun, I'd love to tag along if blue ktm's are allowed