User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-20-2014, 02:24 PM   #4366
Fatallybitten
Slow but Sure

Oddometer: 264
Here is what happens when you are bored

I have been pondering how to carry tools on my Super Tenere. On both my KLR and KTM 990 I just strapped a PVC tool tube to the front of the skid plate. Worked well. Not so on the Super Tenere. There isn't enough ground clearance or clearance to the front tire for my liking so I have come up with an alternate solution.

I removed the stock rear rack, fabricated an aluminum plate, added a Pelican 1170 case (11.64" x 8.34" X 3.78" with an internal volume of ~6 litres) and will attach the Jesse rear rack to the top of the Pelican case when the rear rack finally arrives, hopefully in the next couple of weeks.

Here is what it looked like before:

And here is the semi-final product

Now I need another project to ward off boredom.
Cheers, David
Old 02-20-2014, 02:27 PM   #4367
Fatallybitten
Slow but Sure

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fatallybitten View Post
I have a set of Happy Trail soft panniers that fit the HT SU racks. They are in perfect condition, are made of heavy duty Cordura fabric with a waterproof liner and have a combined capacity of ~30 litres. They are great for weekend outings or day trips when you don't want to load up your big panniers.
Sold
Old 02-20-2014, 02:40 PM   #4368
XSoCal
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 136
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lycan1 View Post
transpose a couple of numbers? 150/70/18? I'm considering trying a Mefo Super Explorer in the same size. Where are you sourcing it. I can wait several months no problem.
Lol, yeah 150/70-18's. Things didn't go so well with my order from A Vicious Cycle...they said they had one in stock, or at least Twisted Throttle did in the US, and it would be a week to ship it up to them in Ontario, then a few more days to me. So I ordered it along with stuff I could get locally cheaper, but what the heck. They shipped everything but the Mefo, then told me the Mefo was now not available until March 15th. This was last month so I paid for what I got and cancelled the Mefo order, given that it would probably be until April until it got to me, and I wanted to ride before that (my TKC80 rear is bald).

But now since I couldn't decide on a different tire, maybe I'll just wait too. I couldn't bear to read another tire thread!
Old 02-20-2014, 03:01 PM   #4369
Lycan1
Grizzly herder

Oddometer: 1,462
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fatallybitten View Post
I have been pondering how to carry tools on my Super Tenere. On both my KLR and KTM 990 I just strapped a PVC tool tube to the front of the skid plate. Worked well. Not so on the Super Tenere. There isn't enough ground clearance or clearance to the front tire for my liking so I have come up with an alternate solution.

I removed the stock rear rack, fabricated an aluminum plate, added a Pelican 1170 case (11.64" x 8.34" X 3.78" with an internal volume of ~6 litres) and will attach the Jesse rear rack to the top of the Pelican case when the rear rack finally arrives, hopefully in the next couple of weeks.

Here is what it looked like before:

And here is the semi-final product

Now I need another project to ward off boredom.
Cheers, David
Wow That is a serious chunk of aluminum under that pelican case. Great Idea bolting a rack to the pelican case though. Ones that small are super tough, even more than the bigger ones. I suspect there will be a few copies of your design around after you post this. Nice work!
09 KTM 990 Adv
Lycan1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 03:07 PM   #4370
Lycan1
Grizzly herder

Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwayne View Post
Mosquito Pass near Leadville isn't on the COBDR, but you should be sure to do it, specially if you can do it E to W. It is close enough to do it as an in and out from Leadville, it would only take a couple of hours, but go far enough east to find see the London mine. It is one of the most spectacular passes in Colorado, right up there with Ophir Pass, Corkscrew Pass etc. sceanery wise. None of the passes on the COBDR are technically difficult, Mosquito is harder than any of them, but I image Blackbear would be harder than Mosquito. Also has the distinction of being the highest "motorable" pass in North America. Another option to do Mosquito instead of Weston Pass, in fact I'm a little confused why the route wasn't planned that way to start with.

650freak and I found a much more satisfying way of doing Cumberland Pass (we were doing the route reversed) which made it one of the more technical spectacular passes, if you are interested, I can probably get you the track. We basically found an OHV trail that descended into the pass, rather than taking the gravel road over the pass. The 765 is the gravel road, we used "trails" 765F, 765H, and 765J at Cumberland.

In the beginning of July some of the passes (including Mosquito) might still be closed for snow.

If you can spare the extra day at Cortez, Mesa Verde NP with cliff dwellings is fantastic.

The COBDR can be ridden quite quickly (traveling light and fast on a light bike I bet 2.5 days is possible), almost every day dedicated to the route we did more than one section. the 2 most northerly sections we rode in an easy day, plus an extra 120ish km of forest service roads. We took an extra day at Mesa Verde, plus we took an extra day to ride the Phantom Canyon road (old rail bed) to Cripple Creek and toured the Molly Kathleen mine, I wish we had extra time to spend in Victor...just south of Cripple Creek. We actually finished that day in South Park/Fairplay and required the COBDR after riding Mosquito.

Another interesting option would be riding the UTBDR...or at least riding the sections south of Price. The southern terminus of the trails are very close together.

Thanks Dwayne. I'll take a look at your suggestions. I'm not sure I'll have enough time for any detours but I'd like to see your gpx track.
09 KTM 990 Adv
Old 02-20-2014, 03:31 PM   #4371
Fatallybitten
Slow but Sure

Thanks

Quote:
Wow That is a serious chunk of aluminum under that pelican case. Great Idea bolting a rack to the pelican case though. Ones that small are super tough, even more than the bigger ones. I suspect there will be a few copies of your design around after you post this. Nice work!
I should have taken a photo of the plate before I installed it. I drilled a bunch of holes to lighten it up. Started with a 9" x 12" piece of 1/2 inch aluminum and went from there. Turned out okay.

Cheers, David
Old 02-20-2014, 06:33 PM   #4372
dirtydeeds
I'm alive.

Oddometer: 2,302
Quote:
I am doing a Colorado Trip at the End of July for 2 weeks. Anyone that is looking for something to do about that time send me a PM. There is a couple of us going so far with a possible 3rd. This will be a ride there and back on dual-sport bikes, no trucking bikes. Camping in good weather, motel in bad. Leaving the Morning of July 26th from Calgary.

Telluride is the ultimate destination, doing the COBDR (Colorado Back Country Discovery Route) in reverse, starting in Steamboat, CO. It will include Black Bear Pass coming into Telluride.

I have planned a couple of extra passes on a day trip loop from Telluride, CO.

Sounds fun. Hopefully I'll lose my job by then so I'll have some time for a decent trip.

Ophir Pass, outside Telluride:

I'd love to go back, in warmer weather.

dirtydeeds screwed with this post 02-20-2014 at 06:48 PM
dirtydeeds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 06:37 PM   #4373
dirtydeeds
I'm alive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-Rod View Post
I drove out Sunday to have a look. I don't have my bike with me while I'm in Calgary doing a 6 week course. There were two guys going pretty good, and a few other people puttering, and just getting there feet wet with home made tires with 3/4" screws. It was windy as heck! I am going home to Mexican Hat for the weekend, and hopping to braaap some laps.
The pain of not being home. Hence the reason I love owning a Van. You can have your bike with you and out of site while you're out of your postal code.
Old 02-21-2014, 05:59 AM   #4374
Lycan1
Grizzly herder

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtydeeds View Post
Sounds fun. Hopefully I'll lose my job by then so I'll have some time for a decent trip.

Ophir Pass, outside Telluride:

I'd love to go back, in warmer weather.
Great pictures! I am really looking forward to this trip. There will be lots of riding in between though. I expect to hit the 100,000 km mark on my 990 this year.

Work does have a way of getting in the way of riding doesn't it. I am still working on how I can get Charlie Boorman's job...
09 KTM 990 Adv
Old 02-21-2014, 02:50 PM   #4375
Shibby!
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,644
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwayne View Post

If you can spare the extra day at Cortez, Mesa Verde NP with cliff dwellings is fantastic.

I agree. Pretty cool place even after seeing most ruins in Mexico, Guatemala, and Belize.

Colorado is a wicked state. Passes and openness to OHV use is amazing.
Dirt Donkeys Do Baja: http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=671095

Shibby! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 04:49 PM   #4376
kaptinkaos
Just some nOOb

Oddometer: 506
Yep, Colorado Springs is pretty nice too! Pike's Peak is just across the way also and the whole way south to 4 Corners is awesome.

I love that whole southern area... and miss it!
'07 F650GS Dakar (Gone to a good home!)
kaptinkaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 06:29 PM   #4377
dirtydeeds
I'm alive.

Quote:
Great pictures! I am really looking forward to this trip. There will be lots of riding in between though. I expect to hit the 100,000 km mark on my 990 this year.

Work does have a way of getting in the way of riding doesn't it. I am still working on how I can get Charlie Boorman's job...
Wow. Pretty good. The usual clutch slave and water pump seal replacement?

I just got my 990SMT last year. I rode it when I could but not often enough. I probably put more miles on it in the winter in AZ for a brief time than I did all summer here in Canada.
I've got a Rottweiler waiting for it. No time for install, yet. I have literally days of work to do on my TE510. There are parts patiently waiting for pick up.
I've fallen behind on my trike riding and on regular dual sport riding/camping.
Another project may have landed in my lap. Not to mention dirtywife is wanting me at home.
I'm really hoping that work slows down. Or as you mentioned - get a Boorman job.
Old 02-21-2014, 06:49 PM   #4378
Beema Killa
Beema Killa

Oddometer: 635
I expect to hit the 100,000 km mark on my 990 this year.

Lee, how many Kms on it when you bought it? Or were you silly like me and over paid for a new one? I've only put 17000 on mine in the last 2 years.
Beema Killa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 09:28 PM   #4379
Lycan1
Grizzly herder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beema Killa View Post
I expect to hit the 100,000 km mark on my 990 this year.

Lee, how many Kms on it when you bought it? Or were you silly like me and over paid for a new one? I've only put 17000 on mine in the last 2 years.
It had 13,000 km on it when I bought it in June of 2010. I have a little over 73,000 on it now. I have no doubt I'll put over 20,000 km this year baring any disasters.

Dirtydeeds; I did the waterpump last fall. I thought my head gaskets were gone when it started eating coolant, but it was just the water pump seal. I have done steering head and wheel bearings. Other than that just oil changes and air filters. I'm still on the original battery, but I suspect this year might be it's last.
09 KTM 990 Adv
Old 02-23-2014, 11:06 AM   #4380
mace87
n00b

Oddometer: 3
Hello. I'm new to the calgary area. I moved to Airdrie last August. Thought I'd say hi since i'm feeling the winter blues too. I picked me up a bmw dakar last summer and have a trip planned to tuk this June with a buddy. Melt snow melt!!
mace87 is offline   Reply With Quote